Why become a member? ×

Mystery bassist - SOLVED!

wateroftyne

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1361961866' post='1993576']
You're too good for this place, you should be Manzie of The Yard, looking for Lord Lucan & Shergar.
[/quote]

Funnily enough my old man was a Detective at Scotland Yard in the 70s...
I didn't follow him into The Force, preferring to sit alone in my studio making weird music.
Perhaps I missed my calling?!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1361961112' post='1993558']
From my memories of reading Bassist, the name Fran Pettifer is ringing a bell. I know they missed his name out of the article, but did they print it as a correction in the next issue? I could be imagining it, but if someone has a stack of the issues they could check.
[/quote]

I have the next issue & will check ASAP when I get home and let you all know if they indeed confirm his name. Top tip, thanks.

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1361972059' post='1993813']
I have the next issue & will check ASAP when I get home and let you all know if they indeed confirm his name. Top tip, thanks.
[/quote]

Er ... make that the two or three next issues ... ;) (if one goes wtf: this relates to another thread about another mag.)

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[size=8][b]Fran is our Man!!![/b][/size]

At last I have found the proof that our mystery bassist Fran, that tedmanzie discovered, is the man in the article.

Thanks to Beer of theBass and BassTractor for steering me in the right direction. Bassist did indeed name him in the August 1997 edition, 2 months later. In the letters page at the back Richard Banks wrote in about the article. Editor Gibson Keddie responded and named him, although only by his first name. That is enough as we already know about what he is up to at present.

Fran does not need to confirm our suspicions as we have the proof. He is welcome to join in the fun we have at BC, if he responds to WoT email. Or he can just bask in the glory of his heady days of the 90's where me made the national press. Fran we salute you.

The letters page has been scanned and uploaded for you all. Sorry about the quality as the magazine is quite old and the paper has deteriorated over time.

[attachment=128652:Fran The Man - Highlighted.jpg]

Now we have solved this mystery, what about Rob Jones & his Rickenbacker 4003 that I posted before. Perhaps he has sold the Ricky and joined a RHCP or Biffy Clyro tribue band with that chest!

[attachment=128653:My Bass is a Rickenbacker 4003.jpg]

I'm amazed it's him!

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1361997417' post='1994296']
[size=8][b]Fran is our Man!!![/b][/size]

At last I have found the proof that our mystery bassist Fran, that tedmanzie discovered, is the man in the article.

Thanks to Beer of theBass and BassTractor for steering me in the right direction. Bassist did indeed name him in the August 1997 edition, 2 months later. In the letters page at the back Richard Banks wrote in about the article. Editor Gibson Keddie responded and named him, although only by his first name. That is enough as we already know about what he is up to at present.
[/quote]

Great team effort! Never would have found him without mep's investigations, and to be honest I'm still not exactly sure how I tracked him down.

I'm going to buy a suede waistcoat to celebrate :)

boys and girls.....

the lesson here is if we see something missing, like a brother of the bass' name - in a magazine from the last century.... there is nothing - nothing that can hold back the collective might of Basschat to track down the person given a photo, a gear list and a waist coat.

the lesson lies more in when folk try to scam on the sale forums and a bass goes missing.....