Why become a member? ×

I don't have "a sound". Is something wrong with me?

thepurpleblob

I read a lot of threads on here and there's a lot of chat about finding "your sound". I don't have one. Am I ok?

I turn up at a gig, set everything in sight flat. I have a listen. If there are any odd resonances or other oddness in the room I try to dial it out then off to get a diet coke. That's it.

I'm weird aren't I :unsure:

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1358684842' post='1943195']
I read a lot of threads on here and there's a lot of chat about finding "your sound". I don't have one. Am I ok?

I turn up at a gig, set everything in sight flat. I have a listen. If there are any odd resonances or other oddness in the room I try to dial it out then off to get a diet coke. That's it.

[/quote]
No, you're normal like me. Except for the diet coke.

[/quote]

Sounds about right to me.

Rest assured, your playing style gives you as much individuality as you'll ever need.

Truckstop

Yes, you're weird! You have to play with the gear you've got, decide you don't like the 'sound' of it, scour BC gear threads for recommendations on stuff that will help you find your 'sound', get terrible GAS, haunt the FS threads on here, beg, steal, borrow, trade and otherwise fret about getting the gear you are sure will produce your sound, finally get the gear, decide you don't like the 'sound' of it... and so on.

Same here. I arrive, set everything up, check bass type noise is comming from the speaker, get told to turn down as I`m too bloomin loud and send the singer for the drinks. A pint of fresh orange and lemonade with ice for me.

As long as your happy with the sound you are getting that`s all that matters.

You're from Carluke - is that not even more weird :lol: ;) :D

The sound you end up with by dialling out any odd resonances is "your sound"

Havin a laugh with where you live is a good old Scottish tradition.
I'm from Motherwell and live up near Biggar so i shouldn't make fun of anyone :(

Dave

Don't try to pull the wool over our eyes. What you fail to mention is, to get 'your sound' you must have bought (and sold?) 15 different rigs, at least 20 basses, and tried every fx combination possible.
Please don't tell me that you actually practised, or (heaven forbid)...had lessons!

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1358686897' post='1943260']

The sound you end up with by dialling out any odd resonances is "your sound"

Havin a laugh with where you live is a good old Scottish tradition.
I'm from Motherwell and live up near Biggar so i shouldn't make fun of anyone :(

Dave
[/quote]

Agree on the first as it seems do many others. You're working to make a sound that complements the band and works for the room. You know when it sounds right to you, therefore, that is "your sound".

Had to comment on the Scottish tradition - we do an event every year at work in Alford, nr Abredeen. We stay in a little village called Tough, complete with tiny little village school, Tough School!!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1358685143' post='1943204']
"Your sound" is the sound that You like that fits with what you play. This could be from your playing style, from your gear or something else.
So it sounds to me like you've found your sound. :)
[/quote]
Sounds to me much more like he has found [i]A[/i] sound not [i]HIS[/i] sound.

[/quote]

I reckon you do have a sound. If I was to play your bass through your rig,it won't sound the same as when
you play. It would be the same if you played my stuff. It all starts with your hands.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1358688071' post='1943300']
Sounds to me much more like he has found [i]A[/i] sound not [i]HIS[/i] sound.
[/quote]

Oh, I don't know about that. He might well have a sound that sounds similar to a few other folk, but if he likes how he sounds, then hasn't he got his sound?

[/quote]

Flippant comments aside, I'm quite glad I'm not the only person who thinks like this! Its one reason I manage to curtail my GAS---I'm not really overly fussy about bass sounds so one or two good basses is all I need.

Same here. 14 years, same amp, same cab, same bass, hundreds of gigs. Does it sound right / wrong? Dunno. Sounds like a deeper sound than the guitarist so that'll do. In tune? Dunno. Sounds alright, nothing really sticks out as bad.
Year 15, behringer amp and new ibanez bass (mainly because the latest band we can rehearse virtually anywhere and lugging a 410 around gets awkward) gt6 on it's way, just because I fancy experimenting with some different noises and don't really understand the whole 'sound' concept.
Probably end up chopping it all in and going back to the original shitbox rbx200 which had 20 previous uncareful owners.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1358698726' post='1943548']
Oh, I don't know about that. He might well have a sound that sounds similar to a few other folk, but if he likes how he sounds, then hasn't he got his sound?
[/quote]
He certainly has [i]A [/i]sound and, if he's anything like me, it's a sound that may show some variability from one room or gig to another but it's hardly [i]HIS[/i] sound in the normal sense as used here on BC to refer to a particular sound which has been searched for, successfully or not, over a period of time.