Why become a member? ×

I don't have "a sound". Is something wrong with me?

thepurpleblob

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1358704658' post='1943690']
Because I don't know what the knobs do.....
[/quote]

+1 I've just bought a new amp and it has all these buttons and knobs that the last one didn't have (mind you that was a Carlsbro Cobra that I'd had 30 odd years) and I'm clueless :) I've downloaded the manual and I now know how to turn everything off except the volume controls (what's with this input volume nonsense?) so I'm keeping it all flat and having fun.

Steve

What's gets me is that both my amps have various weird processors on them that you can switch in - they don't do anything!! I have tried out various (often expensive) pre-amps and pre-processors and they do absolutely nothing or, at a push, make your bass sound rubbish. It's all a scam to extract money from musicians who don't know any better. For a bass, all you want is a big, meaty power amp and a volume knob.... and, if you are posh, a mute button :rolleyes:

I like to have different sounds depending on the song I'm playing, or the bass I've taken along that night (I play in a covers trio). I don't have "a sound" either.

I get a nice sound and then that's "my sound" for the night :)

Edit:
I did once have a session setting up the 7-band graphic on my amp, got it sounding nice and jotted down the settings. That's my "sound" (or rather "A NICE SOUND") and has been for several years now. Funnily enough it sounds good in pretty much any room.

The "setting up" of the graphic involved getting everything flat, then starting at the deep end trying every slider between min & max and deciding how much I liked that frequency range. It actually ended up as a mid-scoop, but avoiding deliberately setting a "smiley face" pattern i.e. set up by ear, not eye :)

Edited by Norris

Guest bassman7755

Thing is that using EQ to get a "tone" has always seemed illogical to me because most of the frequency bands you are messing around with cover some fundamental frequencies of notes on the instrument so you are making some notes louder/quieter than others - why would you want to do that ?.

For example if you boost the 80-100hz range you are boosting the fundamental of notes in the area of E/F around the D string 2nd fret area yet boosting the 2nd harmonic of open E/F so the tonal effect of EQ is basically random depending on what note your playing.

OTOH of you get tone through string type / technique / position of pickup etc then it applies to all notes equally ...

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1358762777' post='1944446']
...I have tried out various (often expensive) pre-amps and pre-processors and they do absolutely nothing or, at a push, make your bass sound rubbish. It's all a scam to extract money from musicians who don't know any better...[/quote]

To which pre-amps do you refer? I've had quite the opposite experience. :D

Edited by discreet

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1358711650' post='1943912']
Thats me too, Im always changing my sound then thinking, oh, I like his sound better. I was really bummed last week when I seen a band and the guy had a little combo and cheap bass, yet was getting a great sound, when I have a great set up and struggle all the time to find a sound I like!
[/quote]

You are suffering from the musicians equivalent of body dysmorphic disorder i.e. you perceive your own sound differently to how other people do and differently to other peoples sound. Lots of guitarists and bass players suffer from this IME.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1358777718' post='1944786']
You are suffering from the musicians equivalent of body dysmorphic disorder i.e. you perceive your own sound differently to how other people do and differently to other peoples sound. Lots of guitarists and bass players suffer from this IME.
[/quote]

I did until someone else used my rig at a local outdoor event.
It sounded bloody lovely.
:)

I think your sound actually starts with your ears- wthout these you wouldnt know what sounds good or bad. Then its your fingers, then the strings, bass and amp. But start with listening to things you like- how you would like to sound and try to replicate bassists you like. You will end up with "your" sound.

Most basses can sound like other basses and most amps can sound like other amps so the difference is the squidgy organic thing holding it- you!!

I think the gear buying thing- GAS is really about cosmetics- fashion ( how you want to look ), mojo and convenience ( weight and size issues ) than anything else