Why become a member? ×

New Rolling Stones Single - Doom and Gloom

Sean

The Stones' new single Doom and Gloom is obviously in existence just to help sell yet another greatest hits collection but I was pleasantly surprised. Sure, it's formulaic latter day Rolling Stones fayre but it's the best thing they've done in years.

Darryl's a bit buried in the mix and Ronnie Wood's contribution is phoned in but I like it.

TBH bit sick of it already Radio 2 have been playing it to death IMO, I keep thinking there's bits of several previous in it, not exactly new & original - more like a mash of some of the riffs Keef can still remember bits from :rolleyes: & lyrics Shagger has embedded in his grey matter somewhere :P

Can't imagine it sounding good live, if they [u]actually play it[/u] live, sorry chaps.

It's probably the same for any band that's been going for donkey's years. Punters go to see them to hear the classic hits from years ago & anything new for the majority is just filler until the next classic comes along in the set list.

It's certainly my experience of seeing the Stones, Quo, Slade (when they did tour), Bowie & I'll think of the rest later...... on the Stones gig it was (IIRC) "You Got Me Rocking" which was the single from the album of the tour & it got similar reviews, plugs and promotion - but I doubt it'll be in the next tour's set. Doesn't mean it or this one is cr*p, it's just not got a classic riff that you've heard since you were in your pram.