Why become a member? ×

Whats the hardest bassline you've ever played?

rodneymullen

I find Mustang Sally really hard... not to get bored and slap it that is :D

Hysteria and Rhythm Stick I've always found pretty easy, the trick with Rhythm stick is as light as possible, makes it easier to go much, much faster!

The hardest I've ever had to play is probably Lopsy Lu, Stanley Clarke. It's a case of not getting messy when playing it though, not touched it for a while!

• 2 weeks later...

The thing with the likes of Rhythm Stick, Hysteria, et al, is that, even if you don't like the songs much, they are great things to learn for technique if nothing else.

I have dabbled with both the two mentioned above. Played Wisteria (sic) sort of out once (way before I was ready), but never Rhythm Stick. I would be very happy indeed if I felt I could play either properly, even if I never then played them out.

Must work harder!!

Struggling a bit at the moment with John Mayer - Who Did You Think I Was? It's not particularly hard to play but the whole song has a very 'loose' feel to it which actually needs to be tight as a gnat's chuff. Hard to have it not sound a complete mess in the band context if that makes sense.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1423238852' post='2682671']
Bach's Cello Suite No.1

In the original key, in the original octave
[/quote]

In the process of learning this just now from nothing but sheet music. I've never read sheet music before and the piece is about as far from my comfort zone as you can get.

forget rhythm stick our band have just selected a few new tubes to learn - absolutely love the song but have you considered how tricky is the bass line to mar in Gaye and Tammy terelle "You're all I need to get by"

Not difficult in terms of gymnastic technicality but the groove and feel is probably one of the trickiest bass lines you will find anywhere

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1425407876' post='2707055']
forget rhythm stick our band have just selected a few new tubes to learn - absolutely love the song but have you considered how tricky is the bass line to mar in Gaye and Tammy terelle "You're all I need to get by"

Not difficult in terms of gymnastic technicality but the groove and feel is probably one of the trickiest bass lines you will find anywhere
[/quote]

Great choice, may I commend you and your bands taste in music.

• 3 months later...

Funny thing about [i][b]Hysteria [/b][/i]is that when you finally master what the notes are doing it’s not quite as tough as you think. The hardest bit for me was working out the downwards progression in the D root part of the verses (there are a couple of occasions when you do the same on the E) but it’s simple once you crack it. The replacement hard bit for me is the double F hit as you work downwards in the A root riff – very difficult to make my thumb play those two notes smoothly, so occasionally I just hit the open A in the hope it’s close to inaudible.

A long time ago, but the one that really got me stuck was 'Change of Heart' by Cyndi Lauper. Horrible, low, clinical staccato keyboard bass part, a hideous stretch at the @rse end of a 5 string fretboard. I said I'd find it hard to do well, what with it being a keys part, so the singer smugly whipped out a TDK D90 (yep... that long ago) with a live version on it, upon which Bakithi Kumalu made it sound easy. Fuelled by stubborn one-upmanship and a youthful desire to poke the singer in the eye metaphorically, I set about it and nailed it... two weeks later another band offered me a brief German tour, I went and the band threw me out. All that work and I never got to play it... a bloody awful choice for a pub band anyway!

For different reasons, Hot Love by T-Rex. Simple enough riff, but we used to finish on it, so the singer would do his introductions, thanks, etc over it. I could be playing it for 5 mins before we even got started. Also, when it came to my introduction I never did manage to find a show off piece that sounded right and came back to the riff in time.

Edited by NickD

Rhythm stick and level 42 lessons in love - both for the reason that the timing has to be spot on or it all turns to sh*t.

I reckon I'll get rhythm stick if I just keep at it and stay relaxed. But I'm beginning to realise Mark King is just on a different musical wavelength altogether to me.

I've never thought I had a particular style, but I can safely say that Mark King is completely the opposite to me in his whole approach and technique - I think he's brilliant, but I just can't replicate any of his stuff.

Like Bon Scott singing Nessun Dorma - it just isn't gonna work...

Babylons Burning, properly anyway, it's all downstrokes with a pick, I started getting carpal tunnel trying to get speed up on that one.

Monkey Man, I'm not the only one, I've seen 3 bands covering it and the bass players have cheated every time

If it's any consolation, bassbiscuits, it even goes wrong for Kingy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FA73eliAUU

A mistake caused by mishearing the sequencer on Hot Water. On the studio recordings of Lessons In Love I think a fair bit of the bass is sequenced anyway - not sure of the extent to which it's used live though.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1423228186' post='2682475']
I'm a terrible bass player, musician and person so I never even try to learn most bass lines! :D

I much prefer making stuff up on the fly so I learn the chords (roughly) and then just throw in the odd riff reminiscent of the original to keep the rest of the band off my back :D
[/quote]

You're not the bass player I saw a few years ago doing a walking bass line to Rocking All Over the World by the Quo are you??

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1435259334' post='2807121']
If it's any consolation, bassbiscuits, it even goes wrong for Kingy:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FA73eliAUU"]https://www.youtube....h?v=-FA73eliAUU[/url]

A mistake caused by mishearing the sequencer on Hot Water. On the studio recordings of Lessons In Love I think a fair bit of the bass is sequenced anyway - not sure of the extent to which it's used live though.
[/quote]

Aha - he is human after all!

Yeah that's the problem i find trying to figure his bass parts out - i can't actually figure out what's even going on a lot of the time.

I saw him live a few months back and he was incredible (along with an awesome live drummer) - but still well beyond my grasp....

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1435319397' post='2807619']
This. Awesome tune, but you have to [i]really[/i] work for it.
[/quote]

Ah now I'm ok with Sir Duke, but only recently realised its in A flat, not A, which racks up the difficultly level a smidgeon...

Kick ass tune tho.

James Jamerson played root/5 numbers for about 5 years at Motown before he broke out.

All of the guys playing the complicated numbers so far listed started out in exactly the same way they all began with stabilisers. The difference is how hard they worked at throwing those stabilisers away.

Everyone should start slowly and build up.