Why become a member? ×

At what weight do you consider a bass to be heavy?

Evil Undead

My Precisions are about 8.8 lbs, and as these are the perfect bass for me, that`s the sortof benchmark I work with. I had a Jazz which was about 9 lbs, and a Les Paul which I think was 4.786 tons (in reality prob about 9.5 lbs) and they just feel that little bit too much. I`d love to try one of those 11/12 lb 70s Precisions, though doubt I`d buy one - my back would go into hate-mode.

As I only ever play seated it's maybe not such an issue, but I'd say 10lbs is as much as I'd want for ease of handling. My '51 P-bass Ri is getting on for 10lb & my heaviest, I know it every time I pick it from the rack :)

Cheerz, John

Edited by KiOgon

I've had a few heavy basses,worst offenders being,Ibanez Musician fretless,72/3 ? Fender Telecaster bass,and my current 5 string jazz which weighs in at almost 12lb and has been my go-to bass for 10 years or so,i love it and the weight has never been a problem.
The Tele was uncomfortably heavy because of the lack of forearm contour,so had to go even though i loved it.
The Ibanez was probably the heaviest of all and the most unbalanced,numbest sounding over hyped pile of firewood of any price bracket bass i've ever owned.

I played a 12 1/2 pound bass for years, and am now using one weighing just a tad over 9 1/2 pounds, which is much more bearable. 12 1/2lbs gives me shoulder problems, 9 1/2lbs doesn't. I think 8lbs or less is light, 9-10 is medium and anything over 10 is heavy.
Come to think of it, my dog weighs 10 1/2 lbs, so I should set up a big set of scales like they use for witches in The Holy Grail. Anything weighing the same or less than the dog would be OK!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1358165' date='Aug 31 2011, 10:04 PM']My Ray5 must weigh a fair bit (over 10lbs easy) but it's not uncomfortable even after a couple of hours, it sits nicely :)[/quote]

Said it before, I personally think that a lot is in the balance. My old Aria cut into my shoulder so badly that I sold it for a pathetic amount on Ebay. Its replacement Cort is exactly the same weight according to the bathroom scales and yet I can gig it for a couple of hours with no problems at all.

My back has deteriorated - combination of old slipped disc, rotator cuff injury to left shoulder and, most annoyingly, recent lower back muscle damage from my cholesterol lowering medication - so I cannot really go above 9 pounds for a bass if I am to play for any reasonable amount of time (30 minutes plus).

My spector is about 5Kg (11lbs to those clinging to the past...), I never considered it heavy but everyone who plays it comments on the weight, the balance is perfect though and i have it at the perfect height. Plus my back is completely f***ed already, there isn't much more damage to be done.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1358175' date='Aug 31 2011, 10:12 PM']My back has deteriorated - combination of old slipped disc, rotator cuff injury to left shoulder - so I cannot really go above 9 pounds for a bass if I am to play for any reasonable amount of time (30 minutes plus).[/quote]

Ditto, except it's at least 2 discs in my case, 1 lumbar and 1 cervical.

Balance plays a part, as does how far out the bass sits, whether it balances well or not; my Alembic balanced perfectly but sat out to the left, which meant that more weight was concentrated on my left shoulder. As soon as I put it on my left leg went numb, so I eventually had to sell it.

Nowadays even my Rics are becoming a struggle and they are both arguably the lightest examples I've come across at about 8.5lbs each. I've tried som basses in the Gallery (most recently a particulalry heavy old 'Ray, last time I was there) where my back has gone out as soon as I've put the bloody thing on. Ironic as in the old days I used to easily carry my 100lb Trace 4x10 one-handed.....those were the days!

So, after that waffle :) , I'd say anything over 8lbs is borderline for me nowadays, but if the ergonomics are good and your back is healthy you'd should be able to happily cope with more.

I'd consider this to be on the heavy side

Comes in just over 15lb.
Caused by a combination of a solid Maple body and necessarily sizeable Wenge neck.
Manageable (for me) with a hefty strap and by virtue of the fact that my job involves a lot of lifting. I wear it quite high and close to me-makes it easier and I agree with the post about lighter basses making you stoop. With this on, you have to stand as though you're in "Man 'O War" or it'll pull you over. I think if I were much taller than I am (5'10"), it might cause issues.

It's a combination of factors, some of which may offset the weight of a heavy bass, not the absolute weight of any given instrument.
I'd rather a heavier bass that didn't suffer from appalling neck-dive than a lighter one that did.
YMMV, especially if you've sustained certain injuries, though.