Why become a member? ×

Playing for how long..high/low points?

ToneDeluxe

Hello.. just wanted to ask how long everyone has been playing for on BC... ive been playing for 17 years.. pretty much solid all that time.. the electric bass never dies...imh

do you guys ever get any low points of inspiration? or high points in your love of the instrument.. where does your inspiration come from?

[quote name='ToneDeluxe' post='1298726' date='Jul 10 2011, 03:00 AM']Hello.. just wanted to ask how long everyone has been playing for on BC... ive been playing for 17 years.. pretty much solid all that time.. the electric bass never dies...imh

do you guys ever get any low points of inspiration? or high points in your love of the instrument.. where does your inspiration come from?[/quote]

If you saw the set list I have for a Dep gig next sat I guess you could call that a low point, i'm doing it to help out friends

[quote name='lojo' post='1298735' date='Jul 10 2011, 07:25 AM']If you saw the set list I have for a Dep gig next sat I guess you could call that a low point, i'm doing it to help out friends[/quote]
:)
Had a few of those over the years.

But the set list for the dep next week is one I'm really looking forward to. All I need to do now is learn it.

Total of 43 years playing. Drums, guitar and then bass for the last 20.

Highs, supporting Genesis, first £1,000 gig (for the whole band) being asked to play for a recorded band in Paris, the danger element of busking songs live, watching our drummer pee up the side of Metal Mickey.

Lows, bass drum falling off stage and injuring a girl, any sh*t gig where my / our performance wasn't good, having my rig stolen, playing a rock band gig in Holland to find out our whole audience were four Dutch formation dance teams.

Been playing for... 22 years. *shudder*

Highs:

Touring America twice.

Playing Newcastle City Hall for the first time.

Playing Earl's Court at the Great British Beer festival... pulling up in the van, looking at the front of the building, and thinking 'whooooah'.

Lows:

Being in California in the middle of a tour when 9/11 happened. No knowing what was happening, what was going to happen, and how we were going to get home.

Also, a couple of years ago, I was sacked from another band and left without a gig for the first time... ever. A strange experience.

Also... playing at Stockton Buffs social club. I have no idea how I ended up doing a social club gig, but I'm never going back.

Been playing for about 17 years, the first two without an amp...

High points-
The whole learning curve thing, new instruments.
Headlining at The Garage and getting paid a reasonable amount.
Playing in front of >1000 people in a Church yard at Hitchin Music festival, without a drummer.

Low points-
Now. It's too expensive to sustain the whole travel/rehearse/travel/gig thing without paid gigs. That and looking after the kids until 7pm every night. I'd never make it to any gigs in time.
The complete dearth of decent bands out there at the moment that I'd actually want to join.
Having to pass up a potentially serious "professional (signed) touring band" offer. Wife and two young kids- It wouldn't have worked.
Am I really going to have to wait another 12 years before I can gig again?
Being interrupted [i]every[/i] time I strap on a bass and put on my headphones. There have been occasions on which instruments have been destroyed in sheer frustration.

Looking at the imbalance of high and low above, I think I just made a good case for packing it in :) Can't see any improvements coming soon either :)

Over 35 years.

Low points...?? got totally jaded and stopped altogther for 18 months and I never knew if I would get back.
I can say that break was the best thing ever and now realise how much I was coasting prior to all that.
But the break cost me so much work and contacts..that you never really get back.

Good points..?? too many to mention. I like gigs where they look after you well.
I have so much more musical energy now as well...and my playing is better, IMO.

Been playing for 30 years.

High points - playing in front of 6000 people, seeing the band I was with at the times record (yes that far back) for sale in Our Price.

Low points - some of the people I`ve worked with along the way, unfortunately.

Been playing for 6 years.
Joined a band 4 years ago, lots of people have come and gone, I'm the only original member left.
We'v been gigging 2 years now.
High points:
Playing at the ICC in Birmingham to 800+ people
Seeing everyone up dancing, having a good time

Bad points:
Spending 6 months trying to find a singer, wondering if the frustation is worth it.
Sacking your singer because he's a liar, thief and general ass hole

I bought my first bass when I was 14. That was to long ago to remember.

High points: Every gig is a high point, even the social clubs! I'm either enjoying it or getting paid, so I win either way. But mostly the great musicians I've played with and some of the fantastic numbers I've played to some great audiences.

Low points: Most management and the rip offs! Travelling home after a bad gig. Usually when bands finish they've run their course but sometimes they’ve been cut off in their prime. It's always sad when that happens.

32 years now - jeez that's scary! :)

High points -
Hearing a band playing a cover of something I worked on originally.
Playing at Cambridge Folk Festival and being asked to dep for another band appearing there with only an hours notice.

Low points -
Drummer commited suicide.
A girlfriend who was happy to spend the money I earned but hated the musical scene.

Been playing for 7 years, with not much playing happening between years 4 and 6.
Highs: playing an amazing gig (only 250 people) but with everyone loving it and joining in, at a battle of the bands which we lost to a band who had about 40 people tapping their feet.
Being able to pull off playing a piece that I have put great effort into learning, enormous degree of satisfaction.
Playing in a band where I made some great friends, recording two EPs I was very proud of with these guys, and helping write some of it too (not just the bass).
Finding a new band after a few years of not much happening for me.

Lows: playing bad gigs.
Losing the ability to play a piece due to lack of practice.
Band I was very happy in releasing a swansong EP then disbanding due to university calling for half of them. The resultant lack of musical interest after this, lasting for around 18 months.

Played bass for 32 years.

The first 12 of those I was completely obsessed, played as often as I could & did 99% of my gigging.

The rest of the time I've become slowly less interested in the bass. Didn't pick one up at all for ages & concentrated on playing guitar & keyboards instead.
Moved back to pretty much exclusively bass over the last three years but the fire has pretty much gone out for me. I try to rekindle my interest from time to time but it never lasts longer than a week or so. Just can't bring myself to sell everything for the last time though.

High points: The buzz of learning the instrument at an age where your enthusiasm for everything is at it's height.
Some of the great gigs I did with my old band. Seeing people wearing our band t-shirts. Getting played by John Peel.

Low points: The death of my friend & guitarist in my old band Chris from a brain tumour aged 36.
All the interpersonal sh*t that seems to inevitably go with being in a band which I found overshadowed the good bits to the extent that I'd never play in a band again.

I started playing age 14, that was 33 years ago - where has the time gone?

High points?
Playing at the Monaco Grand Prix at the VIP Amber Lounge, backing up Tom Jones at one point
Playing for Chris Rea - great guy and amazing slide player
Best overall is making so many great friend's over the years, some of whom have managed to get high profile gigs and still retain their humble attitude - such as Pino, Paul Turner, Marco Mendoza, etc, etc.

Low points?
A female keyboard player I was setting up a new project with about 10 years ago - tragically died 2 daysbrfire our first gig. That was a truly terrible time.

35 Years

* High point - support gig for my musical heroes The Pirates and Mick Green namechecking us onstage. Well, he got our name wrong but it's the thought that counts.

* Low point - when I was 18 - 'jamming' in a mate's front room - turned round and accidentally swept all his mum's china ornaments off the shelf with my headstock.

Edited by skankdelvar

Been playing since I was 19 (am 34 now), high points include seeing the audience have a party cos of my music, compliments from other musicians and some very good jam sessions.
Bad points, not able to buy any news toys, having to referee fights between singers and drummers and blowing out the speakers in thhe Ashdown cab in the studio.

Gigging for 33 years since my mid teens

Highs:
• Playing with a few really good musicians who should have become big names but just missed out, mainly because they just never got the big break (or because they were too pigheaded to compromise and take full advantage of the opportunities that they did have)
• Playing in a rock/metal covers band with some really good mates up until recently that on our day were as good as any similar band that I have ever seen – I would challenge any band to live with us at some of the big gigs / bike rallies we played early on in our time together!
• Same band – thru a strange set of circumstances we ended up playing a number of very successful and lucrative function gigs (playing a set pretty much based on Van Halen covers) that culminated in us playing at the Café Royale in London with Chas and Dave going on directly before us!
• Playing last weekend at a blues festival – great venue on a decent stage with a big appreciative crowd – the band played great and stormed the gig, getting loads of great feedback, offers for other festivals, etc
• Probably most of my best friends are people I have either played with at some point or met thru gigging (used to come to shows, in other bands, etc)

Lows:
• Missing out on a couple of really good gigs because of my rubbish harmony vocals
• Stopped playing seriously for a little while in my early 20s when I first moved to London and quite possibly missed out on a few opportunities
• Played with a couple of a**holes along the way (surprisingly few considering)

Edited by peteb

Been playing bass since about 1982 and still no good at it :)
Low point - Being booed offstage when the P A failed midsong.
High point - Playing bass on a friend of a friends bands recording, at the world famous Abbey Road studios :)

7 years?
Lows, losing interest, one gig where my bass totally failed we couldn't delay our set so it took 6 songs of me playing "acoustically" for someone to go grab a spare bass
Highs, gigging and getting some "holy sh*t man, I didn't realise you were that good" off mates.

Edited by Ross

I started playing/gigging about 11 years, but have only studied/understood my playing/music for the past 6 years.

High points -

Playing at The Royal Albert Hall - Getting through my first paid reading gig - First paid gig in LANDAN - First recording session

Low Points -

Recording a backing track for one of the acts from the 2010 X-Factor finals - 98% of all the depping gigs I've done for "friends" :)

Edited by skej21

Been playing instruments since I was 14.
Bass 2 years this November.

High point has to be just making some great basslines.

Low point, learning a whole set for a favour for a Mates band and being the only one who could play the whole set properly.....

I've been playing for coming up ten years (I'm 47 now).

The high point is a bit general.... playing has given me the opportunity to meet lots of new and different people who I would never otherwise have met. It's been much more of a valuable education that just playing the bass.

The low points - let's just say that I have met one or two people who have not treated me in the manner in which I think I deserve or - I would like to think - how I treated them.