Why become a member? ×

Playing for how long..high/low points?

ToneDeluxe

Been playing 10 years.

High point: Getting my hand shaken by another bassist midway through a set because he liked my basslines so much, was properly chuffed.

Low point: Depping for a band who quite clearly didn't like the look of me. Also the look we got from the crowd when the 'guitarist' came onstage with an untuned guitar and every setting on his amp turned up to 10.

Been playing guitar for over 30 years but picked up the bass too about 20 years ago so I could record stuff on my four track. I love drums and percussion too, but I can only fake it on those. I feel like I'm beyond caring what instrument I'm playing, I just love playing. No real low points other than a constant deep-seated and unavoidable penchant for harsh self criticism. High points are that I have played with and currently play for some fabulous professional musicians and developing artists who make me very proud. I am very very lucky!

Edited by silddx

30 years 3 months 2 weeks ago I started playing bass, although I did take a 9 year break to concentrate on guitar

So many high points: Some great and memorable gigs, met and played with some great folks. The best points are those when the whole band plays really well and it all just feels effortless. Reminds me of what I love about music.

Lowest point: Music O-level practical. I'd been playing the school's Fender P for three years regularly and I'd been practising my prepared pieces on it for weeks. Walk into the music room - the head of music had part-ex'ed the Precision for a Thunder 1A. Neck felt wrong, active electronics sounded wrong to me and I just went to pieces. Muddled my way through the prepared pieces but the sight reading was hopeless.

Been playing "properly" for three years or so.

Highs: Joining my first band, recording for the first time, people asking me about my gear at the gig (and seem to be genuinely interested), the quantum leap forward in my playing since I started taking lessons.

Lows: First band breaking up (prematurely in my opinion), one gig where I made the same mistake at every chorus of an old song I ought know backwards, having virtually no recollection of my first gig - too much adrenaline/nerves!

Been playing just over 2 & a half years now

Highs. Finding a group of people to play with & actually playing the first gig - only 6 songs but it took me until the 3rd to not be s**tting myself (also was a bit wierd seeing my mum & wife standing next to each other leaning on the crush barrier!)

Lows. Finding out that the other band members are really unreliable when it comes to setting a regular day for rehearsal.
Also, played a garden do last weekend & due to lack of rehearsal, making an absolute arse of the 1st song, then finishing strongly with the rest of the set (including the bodged first song). An hour later, a 4 piece band started playing that consisted of lads between the age of about 11-13 and not only were they really polished & tight sounding, the guitarist, bassist & keyboardist keep changing instruments between themselves and more depressing, they were bloody brilliant on each!

Edited by Patster1969

[quote name='silddx' post='1301503' date='Jul 12 2011, 07:49 PM']Been playing guitar for over 30 years but picked up the bass too about 20 years ago so I could record stuff on my four track. I love drums and percussion too, but I can only fake it on those. I feel like I'm beyond caring what instrument I'm playing, I just love playing. No real low points other than a constant deep-seated and unavoidable penchant for harsh self criticism. High points are that I have played with and currently play for some fabulous professional musicians and developing artists who make me very proud. I am very very lucky![/quote]

Take off 10 years, substitute drums and percussion for pianos and synths, and that's me. :)

(Oh except I am playing mostly for a few showers of sh*t who have egos bigger than their talent)

Oh, and I'd like to be half as good as the clips I've seen of silddx, and get gigs half as good as he does.

I've been playing in bands since 1985 - summer season at Butlin's Skeggy.

Highs
Back in the 80's/90's playing in pubs packed so full you could faint and not hit the floor (like my wife did once!). You just don't seem to get pubs that full any more.
Playing with Geoff Downes at a festival when his usual bass player went awol (with Jack Daniels?)
Being in such a tight band that on several occasions you all do some accent/phrasing you've never done before - at exactly the same moment

Lows
The point at which I realised that the drummer I had been playing with for 10 years had slowly turned into a complete & utter ar*ehole
A wedding night where only the bride & groom turned up
Being so skint on a cheque pickup gig that the barstaff had a collection to buy us a pint at the end of it
A few fellow musos 'playing the last chord' way too young :)