Why become a member? ×

SELLING ON BC

TheGreek

I've just withdrawn all 4 of my basses from sale on this site.

I've read quite a few threads where people complain about customer service from shops but you should see how some "buyers" behave..I accept that the market is slow but I feel insulted by would be "buyers" who waste my time and make what they surely must know are derisory and unacceptable offers.

Worse still are those who request loads of information which could easily be ascertained from doing a bit of homework themselves - "how much does this bass weigh?", "what does SN stand for" - some of the questions which were asked were plainly for the sake of asking the question or upping their thread count - "does this have a chamfered body" - have a f***ing look - you can see it does!! Even when given the info the pathetic reasons give for backing out...

The worst case of timewasting was the "buyer" who requested I pick him up from the local Railway Station (along with his girlfriend - no idea why she needed to come..) then spent over an hour trying out a bass which he "[i]definitely..definitely wanted[/i]"... She didn't know what to get him for his upcoming birthday so after showing them "The Music Lesson" by Victor Wooten and playing them "Thunder" by SMV I'd solved this dilemma for her. I then drove them back to the Railway Station thinking I'd made the sale only for him to ring me back 2 hours later to tell me he didn't want it!! The final straw was that he then placed an ad here in the "wanted" section, trying to buy a bass!!

I also had a buyer who commited to buy a bass - dragged his feet about buying it - then told me he'd found a "better bass" - he hadn't even tried my bass so how did he know the other one was better!!!

I must have had 10 people commit to buying the Steinberger - several made appointments to veiw and didn't even have the courtesy to ring and cancel..

The only positive experience I've had from selling/trying to sell on this site is that Pantherairsoft bought my Ashbory. (nice one!!)

Other than having a rant, what I'm trying to do here is to set out some sort of common ground rules before starting on the road to a sale - if you were going to spend £500+ on a bass from a shop surely you'd read up on it first and do a bit of research, you wouldn't ring the shop and ask them a daft question so why do you think it's acceptable here? If you're not really interested in buying why bother pretending that you are in the first place? Also if you make an appointment and can't make it, at least do the courteous thing and ring to let the seller know..likewise if you agree to contact them again after the weekend then please do so.

You're not out shopping for shoes with your missus so why behave like you are??

As many know I'm trying to buy a Wal Mk1 - I've kept those involved apprised of the progress in regards my sales so that they know where I am in regards their sale - I believe this to be a common courtesy..

Just wish that others would treat me with the same courtesy..

I agree, it's frustrating. A lot of the things you said were people being lazy, I wouldn't want to part with hundreds of pounds without researching something myself, those people will learn one way or another eventually that they should do some legwork themselves.

Things like the guy that bought the bass, then rang back and said he didn't want it, he might have been too shy to say he didn't want it initially, then talked to his girlfriend about it who gave him the courage to admit that it didn't suit him. Again, frustrating and a waste of time, but these things happen. Just because he then wanted to buy another bass, it doesn't mean that yours was the right one for him. :)

All you can do is leave bad feedback for them on here explaining what happened and move on.

Every buyer I have dealt with bought and paid for the gear in one sitting, every trade I have made went smoothly, every bit of gear I bought without seeing has been as described and was sent as soon as payment was made (or even before)

Must be lucky

Yeah I've never had any issues with any transaction on here!
It seems a bit harsh (although I can understand frustrating) to lambast someone who tries a bass, simply because its not for them.....even if they did get too excited and say they "definitely wanted it".
How many times have we all gone "Awwww I'd LOVE a warwick/fender/fodera, only to try one and really not feel it.

I would suggest it prudent to assume you have NOT made a sale until the money is in your hand, regardless of what anyone says, and act accordingly in how you pursue the sale. Easy

Si

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1188072' date='Apr 4 2011, 06:17 PM']Every buyer I have dealt with bought and paid for the gear in one sitting, every trade I have made went smoothly, every bit of gear I bought without seeing has been as described and was sent as soon as payment was made (or even before)

Must be lucky[/quote]

This is the same for me for around 7 or 8 deals in and out, I only put the stops on one guy throughout all these deals

To be fair, all mine have been fairly stock items, perhaps if you are selling more top end stuff it might get more picky

I think everyone just needs to be honest, even if they have a change of heart and wish to pull out of something, just say so and sorry, no lies needed

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1188072' date='Apr 4 2011, 06:17 PM']Every buyer I have dealt with bought and paid for the gear in one sitting, every trade I have made went smoothly, every bit of gear I bought without seeing has been as described and was sent as soon as payment was made (or even before)

Must be lucky[/quote]
I'm pretty much the same. A couple have fallen through but those are the breaks :)

I think the weight question is pretty fair. There can be quite a big range in weight,even in the same model,so I don't see the problem.

As far as the guy who came and didn't want it.... I think that is fair enough.You don't want to buy something if you are unsure. I think asking to be picked up and dropped off is taking the mick though.

Having bought two basses from members i can only praise the communication and honesty that was present during both transactions. I think i was probably a nightmare buyer asking "stoopid" questions - thankfully the sellers were patient and took time to explain things to me and the deals went through without a hitch.

[quote name='Sibob' post='1188090' date='Apr 4 2011, 06:25 PM']Yeah I've never had any issues with any transaction on here!
It seems a bit harsh (although I can understand frustrating) to lambast someone who tries a bass, simply because its not for them.....even if they did get too excited and say they "definitely wanted it".
How many times have we all gone "Awwww I'd LOVE a warwick/fender/fodera, only to try one and really not feel it.

I would suggest it prudent to assume you have NOT made a sale until the money is in your hand, regardless of what anyone says, and act accordingly in how you pursue the sale. Easy

Si[/quote]

+1. I've bought and sold lots of stuff on here and only had positive experiences.

To be honest, while I know its frustrating to be asked what might appear to be basic questions, if I want a sale I'm happy to answer anything I can. Yes, buyers can go and do their own homework on stuff like weight, what SN stands for etc, but if they're about to give me a large wad of their cash, why should they?

Equally, if someone wants to come and try before they buy, I would regard it as just that - if they try it and don't like it, they're not going to buy!

Thankfully I've only ever had successful dealings with sellers on this site, in fact just yesterday I bought a lovely DJ Lakland for dirt cheap from a really nice guy on here!

However, as a seller myself, I've experienced some people that seem to be lacking in some serious common sense, and also some big time wasters. I'm usually a fairly good judge of character and I would much, much prefer to talk on the phone with someone directly instead of toing and froing with someone via PM, but as a seller, you'll usually have to deal with a few people that think that they can take the piss. I can only imagine what a frustrating experience it must have been for you. As a buyer I would of course want to try a bass out before I bought it but I definitely wouldn't bring my GF (she'd be bored to death anyway) and I certainly would give you an answer straight away instead of wasting your time.

I must say though, almost overwhelmingly everyone I've traded with on this site have been absolutely brilliant guys, friendly, informed and enthusiastic. I will continue to happily buy and sell using the forum, no problems. I think you've just got to have thicker skin about it all and take a lot of stuff on the chin.

Edited by risingson

Nothing but pleasant experiences from all my dealings on here. Loads of interest and lots of questions answered. If someone needs to ask a question then that's a detail that should be in the listing. I'm trying to sell something, so whatever an interested party needs to know, I tell them. Items then sell, simples. Facts that may be bleedin' obvious to me may not be obvious to Joe Public out there.

No matter how many messages I get in the course of a deal they are always answered politely, and I've never yet felt a hissy fit coming on, or the urge to withdraw the bass(es) from sale.

I've bought a couple of things off here and they seem to have went smoothly. There has been a couple of times I have been unsure of the seller and said no. I probably have asked silly questions but I don't want to get ripped off. I respect that the people on here day in and day out would be genuine enough. But I read a few of those guidelines about not getting ripped off (after I was, duh) so therefore ask silly things like addresses and I also like to have a conversation with someone on deals over £200, just to check!

I can't go to peoples houses as I am in n. ireland so I buy blind.

I hope I haven't annoyed anyone.

At least I bought the Ashbory! An a top gent you were as well!

I too have had buyers 'mess' me around. I've held an item in good faith, on the back of constant communication for 6 weeks for them to turn around and say they found another. Very frustrating. But for every sale fallen through I have had 10 great transactions. The feedback section here are 99% positive so something works.

I guess it's the 'risk' you take when trading/selling via a source where no contracts of sale are applicable. Given the feedback thus far though I think it's fair to say you've had more bad luck than most, bit I don't think it's typical of the average basschatter. In defence of the chap thatce to yours... I have been to try a bass I was certain was perfect for me, only to not like it in the flesh. Yes, I did declare the fact there and then, but not everyone is as confident a communicator as me.

Sorry you've had some trouble with buyers on here, but rest assured some of us are awesome! :)

I think you have to be tolerant and patient with buyers. Just answer the questions; even if they are obvious. You've got to expect some timewasting and some odd or selfish behaviour... and they may come back and buy it, despite all this. Sooner or later someone will turn up and buy your items in a straightforward manner. Have faith. :)

Only sold three in total.

One on here, and that was a bit hit-and-miss
One via Ebay and that was fine
One via Ebay, then the buyer dropped out. Then, out of the blue, another bidder contacted me directly. Sold for £200 more than similar ones on here (mine was virtually perfect, though) Both of us were happy. Really Nice guy. Cash on collection, too.

Bought one on here. Excellent transaction (Thanks BigJim!) The vendor let me put a deposit on it and pay the balance on collection. Went very smoothly for me, hopefully for Jim, too.
There was a little bit of "PM Tennis" to finalise everything, but nothing too excessive.

I think the tyre-kicking/time-wasting/low offering syndrome as perceived by sellers is caused by money being so tight right now.
Buyers want an absolute bargain, "Bass X", or nothing. No half measures, no in-betweens. No-one can afford to take a chance at the moment. I held a bass on deposit for a BCer. BigJim did it for me. I genuinely think that this compromise represents the way forward for us.
Mike at Iceni let me walk out with £200 owing on a bass. I paid him the very instant I had the funds. I did the same (albeit via a credit agreement) at PMT on a Warwick Infinity SN4. That cost £900 in all, and was a bargain.

Buyers on here know exactly what they want and what they should be getting. I understand and respect that. It IS depressing trying to sell at the moment, primarily because prices are rock-bottom (Cheap Warwick, anyone?)
There's more luck to be had on Ebay/Gumtree/Preloved when selling.
There's more luck to be had on BassChat when buying.
That's the Status Quo right now, but it will re-balance itself in time. I know that doesn't help those selling multiple items to finance Smiths/Statii/Sados/Celinders/Alembics/Wals/Vigiers and so on, but it might be better to sit back, enjoy your collections and wait out this recession......

It's a free service.

You don't have to use it.

You have alternatives like eBay

You get timewasters everywhere

Timewasters are outnumbered heavily and you may have had bad luck but these threads happen from time to time.

[quote]what I'm trying to do here is to set out some sort of common ground rules before starting on the road to a sale - if you were going to spend £500+ on a bass from a shop surely you'd read up on it first and do a bit of research, you wouldn't ring the shop and ask them a daft question so why do you think it's acceptable here?[/quote]

Because that would be impossible to police and would largely be a waste of time in itself. All we can do is advise but you'll always get a numpty who will ignore that advice, in any business. I can assure you that the situation you describe is EXTREMELY common in shops, too.

I can see why you are frustrated but let's look at the bigger picture. Go and punch something. :)

ped

[quote name='steviedee' post='1188161' date='Apr 4 2011, 07:18 PM']I've never had any problems, bought and sold gear on here found everyone I've dealt with to be first class.[/quote]

Me too. Loads of transactions no problems and I've always enjoyed the opportunity to meet other bass chatters in person.