Why become a member? ×

SELLING ON BC

TheGreek

i've bought and sold stuff on here and never had any problems with anything. It's all gone so well that i'm about to trade heads with a bc'er i've never met via a courier service. Granted you'll get some timewasters everywhere, but there's plenty more on the bay than here

[quote name='ped' post='1188162' date='Apr 4 2011, 07:18 PM']It's a free service.

You don't have to use it.

You have alternatives like eBay

You get timewasters everywhere

Timewasters are outnumbered heavily and you may have had bad luck but these threads happen from time to time.

Because that would be impossible to police and would largely be a waste of time in itself. All we can do is advise but you'll always get a numpty who will ignore that advice, in any business. I can assure you that the situation you describe is EXTREMELY common in shops, too.

I can see why you are frustrated but let's look at the bigger picture. Go and punch something. :)

ped[/quote]

Music shops are indeed no different. I recently had a teacher accompany one of his pupils to find a beginner;s guitar. He brought a ruler and was measuring the action and neck width and depth. Why not just ask the pupil what felt comfortable?

[quote name='Jigster' post='1188159' date='Apr 4 2011, 07:16 PM']what [b]DOES [/b]SN stand for?

:)[/quote]

It's the International Standard abbreviation for Senegal, consider yourself enlightened. As for buying and selling on here, you win some, you lose some. Chill.

I'm always sorry to hear about any crappy transactions on here but fortunately they are few and far between.

I've always had really sweet transactions with really sound people and the only regrets I've had is that either I haven't enough time when I've met up with them or (because I am rubbish at it and don't use facebook) keep in touch with them a bit better after the event. There have been a few transactions where we've chewed the fat for ages and had a great time and I hope to bump into them to catch up sometime soon. One especially, knows who he is :) , I've bought from twice and we could have nattered for much longer than the three or four hours we were chin-wagging away. Even deals that haven't gone to plan (one that I had ended up costing me a lot of cash and I dealt with that on trust) have been resolved quickly with excellent comms.

I've pulled out of two over the years and I let the sellers know as soon as I knew and why with no BS - first was the three hour drive each way and me being unsure whether I'd get on with neck dimensions the other because I was inquiring on behalf of a mate's son and they already sorted him with a tasty Squier VM Jazz before telling me about it.

Even the postal sales I've had have been fabulous including four or five foreign ones where the transactions get complex and postage is always a risk - I never get a proper night's sleep until it's confirmed in one piece at the other end!

So, so far so good. But then again, I mainly deal with regulars that have excellent feedback and reputations as jolly good human beings.

Edited by Sean

Sorry if it sounds like more gloating or rubbing it in, but I've only had positive buying and selling experiences on here - and some of them have been pretty tortuous due to logistical considerations!

I think the OP seems to have been extremely unlucky. To suffer timewasters occasionally is only to be expected, but to have it repeatedly sounds like bad luck to me...

Shame, as they are lovely basses too!

Can only speak from personal exprience, but all of the transactions I`ve dealt with, both buying and selling, have been painless - aside from finding out why Parcelforce took 11 days to deliver a Euro 48 parcel (spose I sould be grateful they didn`t take 48 days really).

Must admit, when buying something I do my research independently, for the specs of the item, rather than asking the seller. Features/power/bolt-on neck etc - all this is available from the manufacturer or sites such as GAK. Individual reviews - here, Talkb*ss or Harmony-Central. All this can be done prior to contacting the seller.

I am however, happy to accomodate any questions if I`m selling something though - to me, thats part of the sale process. Do think the picking up from the railway station was going beyond what was reasonable, and fair play to the OP for doing so. Just a shame no sale came from it.

[quote name='Sean' post='1188195' date='Apr 4 2011, 07:39 PM']So, so far so good. But then again, I mainly deal with regulars that have excellent feedback and reputations as jolly good human beings.[/quote]

Good point. When I first joined here I was advised to deal very carefully with members who had little or no feedback. I appreciate that we all have to start somewhere, and I was very careful to make sure that my first dealings were prompt, clear and polite. As a result I now have some decent feedback and hopefully others can deal with me confidently...

Something to watch out for.

I've only encountered one person who came to try a bass then decide not to buy it, but I didn't hold it against him. I did feel a bit guilty for wasting someone's time not buying their cab after they drove to my house with it for me to try out though!

I guess you were just unlucky to encounter plenty of TIMwasters.

[quote name='Conan' post='1188216' date='Apr 4 2011, 07:53 PM']:)[/quote]

I'd been in talks over buying a bass like that here until the seller sent me some photographs and there was some significant damage to the bass that wasn't apparent in the advert. He was very up front about it, but I explained that I didn't have time to get a bass repaired. And the current Status stock here doesn't tickle my fancy greatly. I sold a Stealth 6 string years ago for £750 and the two S2's are alright but the colours don't strike me as fantastic and I was looking for something a tad more exotic than an S2. I almost considered ordering a new fretless ACG, thats something I'll be giving some thought too...

Bought & sold a fair amount myself on here with no real issues. Only been messed about twice in four years of using the BC Marketplace - no complaints. I've been messed around much more on Ebay!
Very occaisionally get the odd question from a buyer, that I think is a bit daft, but try my best to answer it - no problem. I do accept it is a buyer's market, & sometimes people are new to the world of bass, & some people are less anoraks than others. :)
The other thing, is that there are no seller fees for shifting anything on here like Ebay.
Lastly, from the various deals I've done (bought & sold) I've made acquaintances with some sound people. :)

Edited by nick

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1188233' date='Apr 4 2011, 08:01 PM']A Zon Sonus? :)[/quote]

I had considered it! Either that or maybe ordering a new bass from Bogart, or trying to source a Clover Slapper or a Schack with a graphite neck (like trying to find a clean sheet in a nursing home).

I do think that the question of weight is a more than valid request! :)

Manufacturers give 'guesstimations' on weights of basses but there is a massive tolerance for actual instruments; I've owned basses such as a pair of Lakland DJ basses and they varied from 4.5kg to 5.7kg. That's quite a difference if you are getting on in years and/or do long sets regularly... and don't even start on the variance in old fender basses! :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1188238' date='Apr 4 2011, 08:04 PM']I had considered it! Either that or maybe ordering a new bass from Bogart, or trying to source a Clover Slapper or a Schack with a graphite neck (like trying to find a clean sheet in a nursing home).[/quote]

I had a Schack headless, nice bass but the EQ had almost 'too' many variables (certain combinations of those internal DIP switches could generate some nasty sounds).