Why become a member? ×

SELLING ON BC

TheGreek

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1188745' date='Apr 5 2011, 10:54 AM']On the upside, Bob, I am loving your avatar. Entirely encapsulates that 'cornucopia of choice' moment that makes life worth living.[/quote]

Or the "options paralysis" that detracts from it... :) :)

Mostly had good experiences on here, only issue has been when I've put something on hold for several weeks until someone got paid, only to have them change their mind. Which is frustrating.

The worst experience I've had was on ebay, where I "sold" a guitar to a guy and his paypal payment came through as an e-cheque... after a couple of days of him complaining and assuring me that the problem was at my end, it turned out it was his fault. He then hassled me for the next two weeks to send the guitar before the e-cheque cleared (all £600 of it) because he was going home to Poland to record and wanted to use this guitar ("you want me to send the guitar before you've paid it... and you're leaving the country?"). Of course, in the end his e-cheque bounced.

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1188306' date='Apr 4 2011, 08:47 PM']My main gripe is about is how some "would be buyers" ask the most mundane questions without even doing any research of their own - a quick visit to the manufacturers website would yield all the answers to their questions and even answers to questions they hadn't even thought of...worse however are those who you know have no intention of buying but ask daft questions anyway - I answered their questions respectfully and informatively even though I knew they weren't going to part with any cash..[/quote]

Sorry to hear this mate but it is, I fear, partly a result of the avalanche of information available around us. There's almost too much to deal with and people back away and can't be bothered to look for it. :)

We often encounter a similar situation with our band where people ask the most mundane questions about our regular gigs - for which the answers are available from the venue websites, ticket agents etc etc...

e.g.
Q. What time are you on? A. Ask the venue
Q. How much are tickets? A. See the venue/ticket agent website
Q. When are you playing *insert venue*? A. See our gig listings on our website/Facebook or check the venue website
and believe it or not...
Q. "What bus goes from the local station to the venue and what time is the last bus back?" A. How the F**K do we know?!?!?
and
Q. "What time is the last train back to town?" A. See above!!!

Basically, rather than spending time e-mailing us and waiting for a reply they could have looked up the info online and got the answers they required within seconds!! :)

Edited by cetera

[quote name='dlloyd' post='1188773' date='Apr 5 2011, 11:23 AM']Mostly had good experiences on here, only issue has been when I've put something on hold for several weeks until someone got paid, only to have them change their mind. Which is frustrating.

The worst experience I've had was on ebay, where I "sold" a guitar to a guy and his paypal payment came through as an e-cheque... after a couple of days of him complaining and assuring me that the problem was at my end, it turned out it was his fault. He then hassled me for the next two weeks to send the guitar before the e-cheque cleared (all £600 of it) because he was going home to Poland to record and wanted to use this guitar ("you want me to send the guitar before you've paid it... and you're leaving the country?"). Of course, in the end his e-cheque bounced.[/quote]
Please excuse my ignorance, but what's an e-cheque? I've not heard of them before.

Edited by bluesparky

[quote name='bluesparky' post='1188781' date='Apr 5 2011, 11:27 AM']Please excuse my ignorance, but what's an e-cheque? I've not heard of them before.[/quote]

I was caught out by one a few years back when Paypal first introduced them. To my mind Paypal didn't make it anything like clear enough in their payment confirmed email that I would need to wait for almost two weeks for the money to get to me (assuming that is that the buyer had any money in the account in question). I wasn't happy!

Re buying and selling on BC, I've said it before but it doesn't do any harm to say it again; people don't use the feedback forum enough, especially when things go bad. I was ripped-off by along-standing member a few years back, and was really surprised because he had exemplary feedback. I left a negative for him and received a couple of PMs from people who said they'd been similarly treated by the same guy, they just hadn't though it appropriate to leave negative feedback.....

I've bought and sold loads on here, mostly very good experiences. I've bought a few basses untried that have had issues with them though that I've had to repair myself. Nothing too extreme, just the odd dead fret or a dodgy jack plug. That's why from now on, where I can it's going to be try before I buy. If I try it and don't like it then I'm going to pull out of the deal. End of.

Also had a definite buyer turn up for a £1200 Status 6er to say he didn't want it after trying due to the neck width being too wide for him. But that's OK, if I'm going to spend that amount of dosh it's got to be spot on and comfortable to play.

Also I just had to withdraw my Washburn for sale as the purchase of the bass I was after fell through.

At the end of the day, it's a free service. If members want to winge about the hassle of selling stuff for no ad charges then it's up to them. Personally I can't see the point, wherever you try to sell your going to get timewasters.

I've yet to see anywhere where there is such a large selection of used bass gear as good as you get on here.

Ah, ok thanks.
I'm a bit of a traditionalist and when it comes to money i'd only really trust cheque (once the money has cleared), bank transfer (very quick and easy these days) and good old fashioned cash.
I use paypal to buy stuff on line all the time but a couple of times weird things have happened and the money has taken AGES to clear which has made me look untrustworthy and me feeling cautious about it being reliable 100% of the time.

[quote name='Johngh' post='1188897' date='Apr 5 2011, 12:40 PM']I've yet to see anywhere where there is such a large selection of used bass gear as good as you get on here.[/quote]
Certainly there are no shops that fit the bill, IME. And if there were, we'd just be bitching about idiot, sniffy salespeople...

Ain't BC grand? And the daffodils are out and the sun is shining. I shall skip naked through the top meadow in pagan celebration of all things good.

[quote name='Johngh' post='1188897' date='Apr 5 2011, 12:40 PM']I've yet to see anywhere where there is such a large selection of used bass gear as good as you get on here.[/quote]

Massive +1, although you forgot to mention the sometimes silly-cheap prices as well.

The BC marketplace is unlike anything i've ever encountered before, it's like walking into my ideal music shop only everything is on a half price sale!

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1188911' date='Apr 5 2011, 12:51 PM']Certainly there are no shops that fit the bill, IME. And if there were, we'd just be bitching about idiot, sniffy salespeople...

Ain't BC grand? And the daffodils are out and the sun is shining. [b]I shall skip naked through the top meadow in pagan celebration of all things good.[/b][/quote]
I'll stick to a hot bovril and a good book for my personal celebration!

[quote name='cetera' post='1188778' date='Apr 5 2011, 11:26 AM']Sorry to hear this mate but it is, I fear, partly a result of the avalanche of information available around us. There's almost too much to deal with and people back away and can't be bothered to look for it. :)

We often encounter a similar situation with our band where people ask the most mundane questions about our regular gigs - for which the answers are available from the venue websites, ticket agents etc etc...

e.g.
Q. What time are you on? A. Ask the venue
Q. How much are tickets? A. See the venue/ticket agent website
Q. When are you playing *insert venue*? A. See our gig listings on our website/Facebook or check the venue website
and believe it or not...
Q. "What bus goes from the local station to the venue and what time is the last bus back?" A. How the F**K do we know?!?!?
and
Q. "What time is the last train back to town?" A. See above!!!

Basically, rather than spending time e-mailing us and waiting for a reply they could have looked up the info online and got the answers they required within seconds!! :)[/quote]

On the other hand, the people coming to your gigs are your customers and are ultimately paying your wages, and might reasonably expect a polite reply to the first three questions above (the last two are pushing it a bit).

And re. the OP:

If you went into a shop and asked 'How much does X bass weigh' you'd be pretty pissed off if they said 'don't bother me with questions, why didn't you do your research first?'. There are plenty of threads on here compalining about poor customer service in shops, but when the same people become the seller rather than a customer it seems that a different set of rules applies.

If you want people to come to your gigs, or want them to buy your bit of kit, then you need to make it easy for them.

On the other hand buyers should be honest, straight and polite, and not mess people around, but sometimes thatere are genuine reasons why someone decides not to proceed.

Not aimed specifically at you Cetera, just that your post triggered the thought.

Edited by Count Bassy

I'm buying Sheps (Pantherairsoft) EBS cabs off him and he has been an absolute legend to deal with. Very understanding, very honest and open about what's been done with the cabs and most importantly put trust in me to borrow one cab and not nick off with it!!!

He's been understanding in taking payments too due to me getting paid weekly and it being harder to save up and pay in one go.

+100 for Shep.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1188911' date='Apr 5 2011, 12:51 PM']I shall skip naked through the top meadow in pagan celebration of all things good.[/quote]
I've now got a combination image of what I imagine you to look like Skank, combined with Morrissey, naked and grotesquely sporting bunches of daffs. :)
That's going to take some deep scrub cleaning of the now traumatised neurones.

***drills hole in top of skull and pours in neat Flash via funnel***

Never had any probs on BC, although I had a combo amp go faulty and develop a loud buzz on transit to a buyer - it buzzed a bit beforehand but ended up a lot worse. I offered an instant refund and offered to pick up the tab for transport back to myself. The potential buyer was a real gent and very, very understanding. The gear I've bought has always been faultless, as have the sellers.

Hmm, I've met and dealt with some exceptionally good people on Basschat with just one or two exceptions.
I can live with the numpty's because the rest is just sooo good.!

I have 2 basses for sale at the moment and sadly I've had an offer on each, one was £65 less than the asking price and the other £55 below. To my mind that is a bit insulting and they were turned down flat. By all means make an offer but make it sensible!

Tom, presumably one of those was me.

As a buyer (and someone who's bought and sold tens of thousands of poundsworth of drum gear over the years) if someone doesn't put "no offers" or "price is firm" then they're inviting offers. It's not meant to be insulting, but frankly if I can get something for less that the original price, all well and good. I always expect offers, respond positively, and hope to reach an accomodation between both parties.

There's another bass on here, I've made a number of offers but it seems the seller has taken the hump, instead of engaging in a dialogue (and saying, nah, XXX is too low, what about YYY), and told me (when I made a comparison between another similar instrument) to go and buy that instead. Fine, you've done yourself out of a sale, no skin off my nose but is there really call for the attitude?

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1188933' date='Apr 5 2011, 01:09 PM']On the other hand, the people coming to your gigs are your customers and are ultimately paying your wages, and might reasonably expect a polite reply to the first three questions above (the last two are pushing it a bit).

If you want people to come to your gigs, or want them to buy your bit of kit, then you need to make it easy for them.

Not aimed specifically at you Cetera, just that your post triggered the thought.[/quote]

No offence taken, I'm just airing the frustration that 20 years of dealing with the same questions has bred...

We actually reply by pointing them towards said websites so that they may continue to use them in future, thereby obtaining the information they require WHEN they require it... and not continually wasting our time...
Seems to work for the repeat offenders... :)

[quote name='Jakester' post='1188987' date='Apr 5 2011, 01:41 PM']...As a buyer (and someone who's bought and sold tens of thousands of poundsworth of drum gear over the years) if someone doesn't put "no offers" or "price is firm" then they're inviting offers. It's not meant to be insulting, but frankly if I can get something for less that the original price, all well and good. I always expect offers, respond positively, and hope to reach an accomodation between both parties...[/quote]

I always find it odd when sellers complain about "low ball offers" and the like. Some people seem to get really pissed off with it. In business I negotiate all the time and no-one gets offended. It's actually put me off making offers when i'm buying stuff on here.

On the upside, Bob, I am loving your avatar. Entirely encapsulates that 'cornucopia of choice' moment that makes life worth living.
[/quote]

And you know the funny thing, its a genuine photo, not staged, of me on a golf tour with the lads faced with the hardest choice of my life...............

Bob

Actually that depends on what you want to buy.

There is a a lot of gear being bought and sold here, but for me all the really interesting stuff is still mainly on eBay and Ishibashi.

In the last 5 years there's only been one bass that I've bought through this site.

Distance selling rules apply here just the same as they would if they bought the item from Dolphin or whatever. How many times do you go into a music shop, wander about for an hour, try a few guitars and then bugger off trying to find one cheaper on the internet? And the thing about really low offers...if you pay the asking price then so be it, but those of us who like haggling and negotiating a price know this is part of every day life buying and selling stuff. If you do not want to sell below the price you posted then a simple 'no offers' is suffice. Anyone who contacts you with an offer, just ignore them. Its not being rude, they havent taken the time to read your post, so why take the time to respond to them?