Why become a member? ×

Never Much Comment on BC Members Clips

xilddx

I think it comes down to several things -

The listening at work thing ( although I do have headphones that I could use at lunchtime )
Not wishing to offend someone
Not feeling confident enough in ones own ability to justify judging someone else
Not liking the musical genre enough to give a fair opinion
Not really having a strong opinion on the music
Only coming onto basschat to look at gear and make knob jokes :)

When people (not just musicians) ask, "What do you think?". They generally want positive comments. Anything negative is often not taken too kindly, which makes it kinda pointless.
It's also difficult to know how much credence can be given to a comment when we don't know the credentials, tastes, ability etc of the commenter.

I think with regards to recording/mixing etc i've had a couple of great discussions as a result of me listening to someone else, or them listening to me.

When I had a CD player in my car, i used to download people's tracks at work, burn the onto CD, then listen on my way home. That way I didn't have to log into BC at home. I would only ever comment if I thought it was really good, or if I thought I had a decent opinion to add. I don't have a CD player any more so I don't do it.

I go on the muse messageboard, and there's a "plug your own band" thread on there. I try to listen to as many as possible when I get a day off, but I would only comment on 1/10 of what I listen to, because the other 9/10 is either sh*t or just not my thing.

EDIT: A great example, I uploaded a song I was working on as I wanted comments on the drum sounds. This prompted 5imon to reply with some very helpful comments, that lead to a long conversation about recording/mixing which taught me a hell of a lot (anyone can learn from 5imon!!!).

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='silddx' post='1156867' date='Mar 10 2011, 04:50 PM']Nice idea! Would it work for long? Would it be empty due to the first poster being unable to do so? :)[/quote]

It would be worth a shot I suppose. I'll get the ball rolling in a minute.

Edit - here we go: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=126554&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=126554&hl=[/url]

Edited by Wil

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1156859' date='Mar 10 2011, 04:48 PM']Cheers for that.[/quote]

No, thank you Wayne

[quote name='Clarky' post='1156870' date='Mar 10 2011, 04:50 PM']You are welcome (did I do good, Beedster?) :)[/quote]

Very good Young Jedi. Actually Clarky, there is something Luke Skywalkerish about you....

My problem with it all is that I don't care.

Sorry, but that's how it is! You CAN play bass really well? Great, good for you. You suck? Well, that's just bad luck, play some more and you'll get better.

I literally have no opinion on other peoples playing, possibly because I have very little opinion on my own!

Now - let's get back to discussing whether brass screws in a Badass have a positive effect on tone or not. I'm undecided!

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='1156893' date='Mar 10 2011, 05:03 PM']I think it comes down to several things -

The listening at work thing ( although I do have headphones that I could use at lunchtime )
Not wishing to offend someone
Not feeling confident enough in ones own ability to justify judging someone else
Not liking the musical genre enough to give a fair opinion
Not really having a strong opinion on the music
Only coming onto basschat to look at gear and make knob jokes :)[/quote]

Add 'not wanting to listen to tons of rubbish bass playing recorded badly'. Crude recording is going to be a major factor. Look at all the fuss made about studios in some thread fairly unrelated to studios.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1156897' date='Mar 10 2011, 05:05 PM']I go on the muse messageboard, and there's a "plug your own band" thread on there. I try to listen to as many as possible when I get a day off, but I would only comment on 1/10 of what I listen to, because the other 9/10 is either sh*t or just not my thing.[/quote]

This is a point that comes up in professional CD reviewing, there's simply too much music around to possibly listen to it all and have an informed opinion on it - and I think the point about personal taste is also relevant here.

RE my own postings I know I've been doing this sh*t for a long time now and I only do it to point people in its general direction - if I get a couple of positive or negative comments here then hey it's nice to think someone enjoyed it (or not) - I'm all for criticism, and yes I'm my own hardest critic - plenty of people have said I suck, quite a few like what I do - hey that's life innit?

So I don't mind but I think it's good to try and encourage newbies and those really seeking advice - if people can post a bit more in that forum and give friendly but honest feedback I think it would be a positive move - we all know our shortcomings but we can't be blamed for trying, so yes, post a few more responses if you can peeps.

Mike

[quote name='Beedster' post='1156899' date='Mar 10 2011, 05:06 PM']Very good Young Jedi. Actually Clarky, there is something Luke Skywalkerish about you....[/quote]

I didn't know Clarky's dad was the second most evil man in our Galaxy :) You learn something new every day :)

[quote name='urb' post='1156914' date='Mar 10 2011, 05:13 PM']This is a point that comes up in professional CD reviewing, there's simply too much music around to possibly listen to it all and have an informed opinion on it - and I think the point about personal taste is also relevant here.

RE my own postings I know I've been doing this sh*t for a long time now and I only do it to point people in its general direction - if I get a couple of positive or negative comments here then hey it's nice to think someone enjoyed it (or not) - I'm all for criticism, and yes I'm my own hardest critic - plenty of people have said I suck, quite a few like what I do - hey that's life innit?

So I don't mind but I think it's good to try and encourage newbies and those really seeking advice - if people can post a bit more in that forum and give friendly but honest feedback I think it would be a positive move - we all know our shortcomings but we can't be blamed for trying, so yes, post a few more responses if you can peeps.

Mike[/quote]

I find it rediculous when you read a review, and at the end of a review they reviewer says "but it's not really my kind of thing". I personally have absolutely no knowledge of jazz, and so i'd never comment on a jazz performance other than to say "that was great" or the like.

FWIW i've watched a few of your videos, and listened to the recordings, enjoyed them, and never commented!! I think the main reason for that is I have nothing remotely interesting to say on it. It's like those threads you read with great interest but never post in. I know some poeple like to say "+1" or "that's ace", but I feel that's a pointless post. Maybe i'm wrong and should start commenting on everything I listen to?

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1156928' date='Mar 10 2011, 05:22 PM']I have never been in that section of the site and even if I did, I don`t think that I am in any way qualified to comment on another players abilites or lack of.

That`s my excuse anyway :)

Jez[/quote]

I don't think it's about qualification or commenting on technique. When I ask people to listen to my stuff it's simply "What do you like about it and what would you change?".

Never thought something I said would spark a topic! haha.

Either way, it's just the way we are. We will critique from far away because we're afraid of voicing our opinion because we might be confronted? (perhaps.. is for me anyway) - which is.. (according to my American friends) a very British thing to do.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1156943' date='Mar 10 2011, 05:28 PM']I don't think it's about qualification or commenting on technique. When I ask people to listen to my stuff it's simply "What do you like about it and what would you change?".[/quote]

Personally, I'd find it interesting to hear people's reviews of their own playing, then perhaps ask for feedback.

I'm sure it would be all very British and self deprecating, or very British and delusional.

As a creature of habit I generally go to the same threads each visit - you know "Basses for sale", "Off Topic", "General Discussion". I had, wrongly, assumed the thread was about the use of recording equipment, etc.. since I'm not very technical and I don't record anything I didn't feel I have enough knowledge on the subject to comment.

Again, as others have said I'm only likely to make a comment if it's something that I like or inspired by. I must say that I enjoyed the thread Nigel brought to my(our?) attention to and I did learn something from veiwing - as i said in that thread I'm now a convert and will be visiting the "Recording" thread more often..

Thanks Nigel for opening up more of BC to me..However it means that I'll be spending more time on BC and less practicing...

Embarrassed to say never really noticed that section, but probably next week will put our demo up there.
I don't give a monkey's what anyone thinks about my bass playing, I know it's limited.
What I would like is a critique on the mix, and frankly whether it's good enough for promoters.

Many thanks for pointing this section out, I will join in on the Bar and Grill.

My only redeeming feature is I have caught loads of Barbel :) .
You know who you are.
Karl.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1156897' date='Mar 10 2011, 05:05 PM']I think with regards to recording/mixing etc i've had a couple of great discussions as a result of me listening to someone else, or them listening to me.

When I had a CD player in my car, i used to download people's tracks at work, burn the onto CD, then listen on my way home. That way I didn't have to log into BC at home. I would only ever comment if I thought it was really good, or if I thought I had a decent opinion to add. I don't have a CD player any more so I don't do it.

I go on the muse messageboard, and there's a "plug your own band" thread on there. I try to listen to as many as possible when I get a day off, but I would only comment on 1/10 of what I listen to, because the other 9/10 is either sh*t or just not my thing.

EDIT: A great example, I uploaded a song I was working on as I wanted comments on the drum sounds. This prompted 5imon to reply with some very helpful comments, that lead to a long conversation about recording/mixing which taught me a hell of a lot (anyone can learn from 5imon!!!).[/quote]

Awww shucks dude!

I've commented on a few bits and bobs here and there, but unless people really are saying "How can I make this better?" then how do say to them, "I think it would be better if..." without feeling like you might hurt their feelings?

Put this another way, I am currently mixing a very very good friend's tracks that we have recorded together. He has brilliant ears, really hears things with scary detail from an engineers perspective, he can comment on a mix with real authority, he can pick out precise frequency ranges in a snare drum that are bothering him for instance, or notice a delay line that may be set a little too long.

We have known each other for years, and effectively speak the same language with regard to audio. We trust each other's opinions pretty much completely, and if we disagree we usually find that after further explanation we can get to a compromise pretty quickly, or more likely we didnt manage to communicate the problem well enough in the first place, and are actually agreeing, but with the wrong terminology (yes even though we speak the same language wrt audio).

And yet, mixing his band has been hard. Its all being done remotely, so I have to wait for his comments on a mix, then take them on board and try and either fit them in to the mix, or argue the point (when I really think he's missed something). I would find it very hard to find fault in the band's efforts, and even harder to be detrimental about some aspect of the playing, fortunately its been tracked really well, so I havent had to make comments there, and they have a very self deprecating British view of their abilities (totally unfounded). Also helps that they really are seeking perfection from their point of view, and anything I've heard has been checked over many times already.

On the plus side the results so far have blown him and his band away completely, can't wait to get it finished! The reason I am mixing it and not him, is because he trusts my ability to make the tools get the results he wants, more than his own ability. Yet he can define the results he wants incredibly well. Its a hell of an endorsement, and no small responsibility to be honest...

If I didnt know someone at all, and they weren't paying for my honest opinion, I really wouldn't want to comment, unless they were really open to comment other than the usual "Sounds great, you'll be a star!" which I sometimes think we are all a bit guilty of hoping to hear when we post something.

I've tried to help a few people out with some bits and bobs before, and they've all been pretty receptive to anything I've said, but I also dont want to be putting myself forward as some kind of expert either, since there are so many people out there who make my knowledge look pathetically limited IMO.