Why become a member? ×

Never Much Comment on BC Members Clips

xilddx

You always get this on here! People yapping about gear and tone and technique and Mark King vs Flea, Jaco's God, etc. all day, but if you post a clip or a video, you get one comment per 20 downloads or views.

I think we have to accept that most people don't really know how to describe music at all, despite them rabidly describing everything else under the sun, slagging off Phil Collins and Alain Caron and whathaveyer. As soon they are asked for a REAL critique of someone closer to home they suddenly bugger off, at a loss for words and opinion, or uninterested. Funny that.

However, if it's a cover of someone else's bass line, then that allows them to COMPARE, which makes it much easier for them to express a view and consequently you get more comments. "Oh 5P4GB0L, you did such a great job of Rhythm Stick, that line is so hard! You nailed it bro, except Norman God's tone is a bit different than your Sue Ryder .." etc.

I find it sad. A forum for musicians and hardly anyone bothers to comment on the actual MUSIC people bother to record and post up here asking for opinion.

For example ..

[quote name='TomKent' post='1156119' date='Mar 10 2011, 01:15 AM']25 views and no comments?

C'mon people! :)[/quote]

Quote from this thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=126199"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=126199[/url]

A large proportion of my BC viewing is done at work where I cannot reasonably listen to sound clips and I bet that is true of many. Not a full explanation obviously but a factor nonetheless. The other issue I suspect is of differing tastes and not wanting to offend (better to say nothing than something critical).

[quote name='Johnston' post='1156806' date='Mar 10 2011, 04:29 PM']I set up the computer to record some clips for critique . then I got to listen to them and for the first time in years, myself playing.

They got deleted PDQ :) :) :lol:[/quote]
We can be our own hardest critic :D

What did you record? Holiday by Green Day? It's a pig isn't it?

[quote name='Clarky' post='1156802' date='Mar 10 2011, 04:27 PM']A large proportion of my BC viewing is done at work where I cannot reasonably listen to sound clips and I bet that is true of many. Not a full explanation obviously but a factor nonetheless. The other issue I suspect is of differing tastes and not wanting to offend (better to say nothing than something critical).[/quote]
Fair comment. There is such a thing as constructive criticism though. Don't we have enough people skills to do that?

I think its a British thing. We don't tend to tell people of their failings to their faces (but slag them off behind ther backs). I think its actually quite sad because, without that feedback, we are never going to improve.

I have looked at several videos and listened to mp3s that I think are weak for one reason or another but I don't see it as my role to critique everything I see/hear on this forum, particularly if I think the material is poor. People don't know me and have no comprehension of the insights I may or may not have into the music, particularly the music [i]they[/i] play as opposed to that which [i]I[/i] play. My posts exist alongside those of several thousand other anonymous avatars and my praise or criticism has no context. Having posted my own recordings here and got a dozen or so positive comments out of 120+ downloads, I can only assume 110 people think 'tosser' :) . Do I need to actually [i]hear[/i] it to know that's what is being thought? Probably not. Not liking something is different to knowing it is deficient in some objective sense. If I don't like a song, it means nothing. If the player drags, is out of tune etc, then the criticism is legitimate but, the point is, is the person who has posted the recording emotionally mature enough to deal with that kind of criticism? I don't know the answer to that so I leave it alone.

If I want a blunt opinion, I will put it on Youtube or Talkbass....

[quote name='Clarky' post='1156802' date='Mar 10 2011, 04:27 PM']A large proportion of my BC viewing is done at work where I cannot reasonably listen to sound clips and I bet that is true of many.[/quote]

Me too. I'm rarely on BC in the evenings as I'm not getting paid for it. :)

I'll listen and comment on songs that have been put up if I like them and/or can offer constructive criticism. I don't watch or listen to 'technique clips' as I don't really have ay interest in hearing a solo bass being played outside the context of a song to be honest.

Edited by Low End Bee

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1156834' date='Mar 10 2011, 04:38 PM']I think its a British thing. We don't tend to tell people of their failings to their faces (but slag them off behind ther backs). I think its actually quite sad because, without that feedback, we are never going to improve.

I have looked at several videos and listened to mp3s that I think are weak for one reason or another but I don't see it as my role to critique everything I see/hear on this forum, particularly if I think the material is poor. People don't know me and have no comprehension of the insights I may or may not have into the music, particularly the music [i]they[/i] play as opposed to that which [i]I[/i] play. My posts exist alongside those of several thousand other anonymous avatars and my praise or criticism has no context. Having posted my own recordings here and got a dozen or so positive comments out of 120+ downloads, I can only assume 110 people think 'tosser' :) . Do I need to actually [i]hear[/i] it to know that's what is being thought? Probably not. Not liking something is different to knowing it is deficient in some objective sense. If I don't like a song, it means nothing. If the player drags, is out of tune etc, then the criticism is legitimate but, the point is, is the person who has posted the recording emotionally mature enough to deal with that kind of criticism? I don't know the answer to that so I leave it alone.

If I want a blunt opinion, I will put it on Youtube or Talkbass....[/quote]
Very good points, Bilbo. Shame we have to go to America for blunt opinion though isn't it? We are very supportive of other BC members problems, even personal ones, but post your own music, and people say nowt.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1156834' date='Mar 10 2011, 04:38 PM']I have looked at several videos and listened to mp3s that I think are weak for one reason or another but I don't see it as my role to critique everything I see/hear on this forum, particularly if I think the material is poor.[/quote]

plus the one.

i've listened to a few things posted and they've done nothing for me, so i've not commented...

[quote name='Clarky' post='1156856' date='Mar 10 2011, 04:46 PM']Thing is Nige, your last clip was sh*te[/quote]
I know, and I deeply appreciate your comments. I have been working hard at my technique and have elevated myself to mere drivel as a result. Thanks mate :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1156825' date='Mar 10 2011, 04:35 PM']:) Seriously?[/quote]

Well, I went through a brief phase of doing it as I wanted to get into some discussion regarding recording at the time, I got one reply so gave up.

[quote name='Wil' post='1156858' date='Mar 10 2011, 04:47 PM']How about a thread for people to post recordings in where the rule is you must offer a review of the piece of music posted before yours?[/quote]
Nice idea! Would it work for long? Would it be empty due to the first poster being unable to do so? :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1156860' date='Mar 10 2011, 04:48 PM']I know, and I deeply appreciate your comments. I have been working hard at my technique and have elevated myself to mere drivel as a result. Thanks mate :)[/quote]
You are welcome (did I do good, Beedster?) :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1156802' date='Mar 10 2011, 04:27 PM']A large proportion of my BC viewing is done at work where I cannot reasonably listen to sound clips and I bet that is true of many. Not a full explanation obviously but a factor nonetheless. The other issue I suspect is of differing tastes and not wanting to offend (better to say nothing than something critical).[/quote]

^this

If I have something constructive or (I think) useful to say I'll make comment but if I don't like the music, the style or the playing I tend to feel there's little point in commenting and if I do like it I probably would make a comment.