Why become a member? ×

Never happy for long...

Machines

In the last 5 years i've been through quite a few basses (in chronological order)

Spector Q6 Pro
Yamaha BB614
Fender Jazz MIM
Ibanez Musician MC900
Musicman Stingray 2EQ
Lakland 55-02
Warwick Corvette $$ 5
Bacchus Venus 5
Overwater Progress III Deluxe (Still owned)
Epiphone Thunderbird (Still owned)

And, after experiencing all of these wonderful instruments, i've come to the conclusion I still don't know what I want. The quality and price of the instrument does not seem to correlate directly to the enjoyment I get from it, this baffles me. If I had to pick between my T-Bird and the Overwater for a quick play, the T-Bird will win.

I'm starting to think having such an expensive instrument as the Progress is perhaps wasted on me, as I don't really appreciate it for what it can do. It is an exquisite instrument in terms of construction quality, and aesthetically also - is very pleasing. However I never pick it up and have a grin on my face after (ignoring initial honeymoon period of when I got it). I can't get on with the EQ at all and am not convinced changing it would make me love the bass. I think selling it and buying a couple of cheaper basses (with different sound pallets) would make me happier than one top quality custom bass.

Does anyone else find dissatisfaction with almost everything they get ?

Agree, I`m yet to find an amp/speaker that is exactly right.

They either sound fantastic, but weigh 4 tons, or are light enough to carry about, but are missing that last 10% of the sound that I want. Compromise, and my back is the deciding factor.

Am lucky with basses, the humble US Precision does everything that I want, so my search in that area is over.

Have to agree. Ive been there and back. What works for me?

Non boutique J and Ps, eg a good Fender. Id love a nice simple well made passive P and J, custom made, but when the design is so simple in the first place, im happy with Fenders. Ive tried to avoid getting another Jazz and the lottery of Fender, but ive got another one coming.

EBMM basses. The Ray IS my bass...the one Id hoped for when I was 15 or so. Ive sold a few, but once my orders come through, thats it.

Amps? I swap and sell quite a lot. The Orange and TC are going nowhere, but the LM3 is for sale. Ive no idea why as its great, I just fancy a change.

I think that this is the nature of the beast as far as a lot of us go. I admit, I do envy friends who tell me they've had one gigging bass or guitar for 10 years and always enjoy playing it (especially when it does sound great) I'm like you, GAS, honeymoon, wall, and the cycle repeats. With me, probably convincing myself that the next one will be "the one" that will give me what I'm looking for. In my case, if I'm honest, it's probably me trying to cover up my lack of ability, thinking that the next one will help me play better.

Having spouted all this, I do really enjoy collecting instruments be it guitars, basses or whatever. At the moment, I'm happy. I got a great deal from a BC'er on a Spector 6 string and I'm in love but, It's not what I was after in the first place so the search will continue no doubt. Maybe jazzers don't have this problem as I never hear of all the Bilbos reporting new aquisitions all the time.

So, don't really know the answer.

Edited by leschirons

I guess you should ask yourself what need it is you are trying to meet.

For me, the bass is increasingly peripheral to the music and is simply a tool for filling 'that' space in the overall sonic picture. Whether it sounds like a '57 Jazz or a birdseye maple Ken Smith Alembic Custom Fodera MkIII with ebony LEDs is not important to me. So I don't really get bass GAS. Amps have been the same although I am getting to the point where lifting the Eden Metro in and out of cars is getting harder on me physically so I am thinking of a smaller (but not lightweight) option like a Markbass set up etc.

When I see these BC signatures where people have 8 or more basses, aside from wondering how they can afford them, I wonder what its is about, especially when they are all pretty much identical. Is the ability to produce all these minimally different sounds that important or are there other drivers? If you know what the actual purpose of owning each bass is, you will know whether you need it or not. I only need one credible professional quality instrument.

I know exactly how you feel, I spent a long time thinking I needed/wanted a all singing all dancing custom built bass and then discovered that I actually get equally if not more enjoyment from my £150 Squier.

I dont think it has anything to do with the bass being wasted on you or you not apprciating what it does, not all basses have to thrill everyone. Coincidently I was one of the previous owners of your Progress. It is a magnificent bass and the workmanship is stunning but I couldnt get on with it either. The preamp is the old type and I found it far too polite, there was just not enough grunt for me (I was coming from Jazz basses and Stingrays). Chris May can put the new preamp in it and I think that would make a difference, but if the bass doesnt connect, sell it and try something else.

I have a USA standard Jazz which I picked up for a stupid low price and I love it. It just sings and resonates like mad, small price BIG pleasure.

No.. I am entirely happy with my basses.
I will sell one ..but have been saying that for 18 months, as I don't use it.
I've had it for 18 plus years so a bit of a wrench, but I take a long time making my buying decisions
so don't often regret them. I've had the amp I use longer but am thinking about an addition.
I can't see me selling the old amp though.

Both the basses I gig are both the basses I play all the time although I do have a favourite out of the two now.
But that took a year to manifest

I have been through approaching 20 basses in 3 years. In that time I have found that I absolutely must have the following:

Wide/chunky neck
Front markers (I think fretted basses without markers look unfinished, lazy)

And of course having developed a rather strange taste for Gibson basses although it was always there - my first bass was an Epiphone EB-3.

I've found myself working towards a nice collection of "keepers" - ones which I like playing, like being seen playing (there surely has to be an accepted amount of vanity in this business), all with their own story or reason to justify their stay. There isn't much more that I would like to achieve. I would love to get my hands on a later Gibson RD Artist (post '79 with 2 preamp mode switches), but I can't see that happening for a few years due to the prices they fetch and the majority of the ones in the wild being 1978 models with the single 3 way preamp switch. I can't see myself habitually spending thousands on individual instruments even if I could afford it because frankly speaking I will never reach the standards of playing where I can justify such expenditure on what will likely always be a hobby.

[quote name='Machines' post='1138171' date='Feb 23 2011, 08:57 AM']Does anyone else find dissatisfaction with almost everything they get ?[/quote]
Not since I accepted that every different bass has its own characteristics and one bass won't do it all.

Now I just need one of everything :)

I wonder if people who own multiple instruments really want to amalgamate all of them into one perfect bass? Maybe they all have elements of that intangible "perfect" sound, but individually it's just not quite there?

I could probably trade/swap/sell my basses for something else, but deep down [i][sic][/i] I know it wouldn't make me any happier with "my sound", whatever that is. I only have three and they're all totally different (5-string, 4-string, and acoustic).

I would really like to own a top end "boutique" bass (50th birthday is coming up - you reading this Mrs HT? :) ), but purely because it is a thing of beauty. I'd certainly use it, probably every day, but it won't ever make me a better player.

:)

I think its natural to be curious when it is something you feel strongly about. At the same time it pays to have clear ideas about what it is you want.

I was "happy" with the same bass for over 20 years. It was more than adequate for what i was doing. I sold it and have 3 basses now which i intend to keep.

In some senses the more basses you try the harder it will be to find one that you like (just like da ladies). Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

I've rarely played a bass that I [b]really[/b] didn't like... if ever tbh!
That suggests to me that Bilbo is close to the right line on this. An instrument is a tool, don't get me wrong I want good tools but what I'm happy with is more about what I can do with them than what they can do for me.

Although I have been heard to say my Alembic is the closest I have ever got to sounding like [i]me[/i]

Edited by jakesbass

I blame the internet. I am always looking at eBay even when I have a bass I think I am happy with. If I had to actually go to shops and trade in what I have I would not be doing it anywhere near as often. eBay allows me to buy used and then sell on to same market (usually at increased price as I list the items more effectively - proper photos and description and good feedback)

So swapping basses is not really costing me much yet allows me to play a variety of instruments which is part of the fun for me. I have my fun in the low end of the market (up to £300) and not sure if I would do the same with £2000 instruments as the capital involved is scarier.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1138361' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:31 AM']I've rarely played a bass that I [b]really[/b] didn't like... if ever tbh!
That suggests to me that Bilbo is close to the right line on this. An instrument is a tool, don't get me wrong I want good tools but what I'm happy with is more about what I can do with them than what they can do for me.[/quote]

Very true.

I think most of it is retail therapy with a hefty amount of vanity thrown in. Some basses feel clumsier and not as player friendly to certain people but that's just because we have so much choice.

I think all the talk of "finding [i]my[/i] bass" a getting away from the whole point of playing in the first place. As long as you have something which is set up properly you already have an advantage over most of the bassists i know!
I also think that if you haven't given youself enough time to adapt properly then your opinion is pretty baseless. I bought a Warwick because the sounds it could make obliterated everything else at that price point, a year later i realised i had adapted really well to a neck which at first was totally alien to me and that i could play really well on it.

I've had my Spector Legend 4 for going on 5 years now; my "go to" bass for sure. Also my fretless RBX270 has been with me for about 3 years although upgraded pickups and bridge plus change from VBT to VVT happened at Christmas.

Over the last few years I've had endless £1500 plus basses that I've ended up selling including Status, Alembic, Sei, Shuker. The Status basses and the Shuker were superb but I've always had the urge to try other basses to get the perfect bass.

After all this fannying about, I've ended up with a 75 re issue MIJ Jazz and a Washburn XB600 6 string bass. I ended up with the Washburn by doing a trade on a MIM Jazz, I turn up at band rehearsal with the Washburn for the first time and immediately everyone comments on how nice it sounds. It stands me at about £250, it looks great, sounds great and if it gets knocked about at a gig it's not going to give me heart failure, and all for £250.

After trying endless boutique basses I will get another 5 sting Status at some point, either a Kingbass or a S2. And once that is done, I would like to think that will be that, as I've tried most other stuff and didn't get on with them.

I think aesthetics play a large part in it for me although I do like different sounds for different things. I don't subscribe to the idea that it doesn't matter what the bass sounds like as long as it sounds like a bass - there are players I can't listen to because of their tone and others who I could listen to all day long because of their tone. I find different instruments make me play differently too, they make me approach the music in a different way based on both physicality and sonics.

I don't think that price, certainly from a personal perspective, makes any difference. I like a lot of boutiques but what I appreciate in them is generally build quality, playability and once again, aesthetics (I like beautifully crafted things, be they basses, chairs, whatever). I haven't generally found they sound any better, just different. In fact my go to basses would tend to be he opposite of what most boutiques tend to bring to the table. I don't think that it's anything to do with being "not worthy" though, more simply what fits in the band your playing in. 90% of the time I'm fighting distorted guitars and I tend to find passive oldies seem to do that better. I don't want thin, smooth or transparent in most situations I'm playing in because it doesn't work. YMMV.

I would prefer to be living in many other places than where I do but here is good enough to enable the family to get on with our lives.

I’m a player not a perfectionist and I make a pretty good noise. Could I change and tweak to get a better sound? Probably but the sound I have gets compliments and as playing and performing are the most important things, worrying about anything else is wasted energy!

I tend to look at basses in a similar way, using my favourite analogy, to training shoes. I have several pairs, all slightly different, and depending on how I feel on a given day I may tend to prefer one pair over another. I have my favourite pair but I don't always choose to wear them, sometimes I fancy a change; sometimes they simply don't match my outfit. Simple as. :)

Confidence is irrelevant, i'm a bedroom bassist after giving up on bands due to the horrors of dealing with other people to try and make music :). Technique wise i'm not too shabby and i've been playing long enough to know when the instrument is where I have an issue.

I think the golden period when you have a new instrument and are trying out new sounds is indeed the best bit for me, perhaps I need to change my focus from the sound I hear to the music I play ?!

Think i'll put the Progress up for sale soon, GAS will have it's way in the end.