Why become a member? ×

Never happy for long...

Machines

Last couple of years it got way out of hand...
At a certain moment I had around 30 basses in my living-room..Fodera, Wal, Sadowsky, etc.
I had lots of gigs and combined them with a daytime job so the money came easily and I bought what I had always wanted.
The last months I've been selling a lot and now I have four basses left (an acoustic one is with a fellow bass-player).
I loose intrest in a bass in a couple of weeks, sometimes even days...there have been times that within less than a week a bass got sold again (sometimes I made a profit but a lot of times I lost money on it).
In the end it's rather sad since I sound more or less the same on àny bass but it seems like some sort of contageous disease to buy something new to keep myself occupied..
The internet has given me so much means to buy my favourite basses that it's frightening.
I used to take my bike, drive to the station, got on a train, took a bus and arrived at a bass-shop where they had Fenders and an Ibanez and that was it..
Now you have access to thousands of basses and it drives me mad from time to time..
Sites like bass-chat spread the disease :-)
There are times that I check the "for sale" section ten times a day to see the "new" things that have popped up.
I used to stare at a 200 £ Ibanez Blazer bass in a bass-shop and thought of it as the ultimate tool but it was way out of my league financially.. Times have changed but it had a certain charm to long for something..

I've bought three basses in the last three years, two of them (the DB and a Squier Jazz) are still here, the other (fretless Ray) was moved on. The Squier is bagged up ready for my gig tonight - the Warwick is staying at home.

I think if you've got a lot of disposable income it's tempting to pick up every bass that tickles your fancy, and if it's just as easy to move it on and try something else then you're more likely to do exactly that. When I see people who've been playing 10 years and been through 20 basses I wonder if they've ever given any of them a fair appraisal or had time to get familiar enough with them (in terms of muscle memory and so on). The only basses I've found I really can't get along with are P basses and their derivatives. I like the sound but not the neck. So now I don't buy anything with a P neck and I'm sorted.

[quote name='Machines' post='1138597' date='Feb 23 2011, 02:11 PM']....i'm a bedroom bassist after giving up on bands due to the horrors of dealing with other people....[/quote]
OK, so we don’t inhabit the same bass world. I haven't played a bass in my bedroom since I was 16!

If that is what you do then I guess your worry list is going to look a lot different to mine.

I like to know 'what's out there' but I don't get swayed by pretty pictures and talk of 'this is the best bass because...'.

If I have an equipment need then I look at it critically (to make sure it is a real 'need' and not just a 'want'), research the market place and identify products that fall within the criteria I have set.
Once I've done that I'll take a look at the iems 'in the flesh' and judge them on their merits.

I'm the retail worlds worst nightmare. :)

I'm usually very happy with my gear. Any changes are usually down to just fancying a change and the thrill of the chase. I spent years as a struggling (skint!) musician so I see nothing wrong with spending my money on stuff I like. Things get sold on & nobody can knock recycling :) Stuff stays around long enough to get fair use. I'd be more concerned if I had a new bit of gear at every gig without giving it a proper chance :)

Ive been through sh*t loads.. lost lots of money... but what i lost in money i gained in experience... i pretty much know exactly what i like in an instrument now.. the bass i came back to was the SR5.. all i want now is a nice Fender Jazz.. the GAS never goes away though....

just to add i agree..the thrill of the chase is a big factor...but i think im done chasing... erm..did i say done?

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='wombatboter' post='1139006' date='Feb 23 2011, 06:56 PM']It's sometimes hard to be rational about instruments...you're looking for new inspiration, for a different sound once and a while..
Hugh Grant dated Liz Hurley and still he got into a car with that hooker...[/quote]
Maybe she was offering something that Liz didn't.

Can't decide here either. But that's what gig fees are for at the end of the day!

Last 3 years or so
[b]Fender Jazz Mex [/b](Still own but had defretted - bad move) Will prob keep as first bass in my modern era of playing
[b]Ricky 4003[/b] (still own) Not allowed to sell acording to Mrs F61
Takamine Acoustic (sold)
Fender Precision Deluxe (sold)
MM Stingray (sold)
Fender Precision US (sold)
Fender Jazz US (just sold)
[b]Double bass[/b] (still own)
Fender Jazz US (Bought and sold in the space of 3 months)
[b]Gibson Thunderbird White [/b](Still got)
Gibson Thunderbird Honey (sold)
Takamine Acoustic (just sold after buying another one!!)
[b]Epi Jack Casady[/b] (still got)
[b]Gibson Thunderbird Black [/b](en route to me now)
[b]Gibson Thunderbird Sunburst[/b] (en route to me now)

Can't believe all these will stay put in 2011....... :)

Edited by farmer61

I think I`ve finally got to a point where I`m happy with my gear now.

The missing part for me was a speaker cab that both sounded good, and was lightweight, as due to my back playing up, the Ampeg rig I managed to resource this year has had to go (after only using it once :) ).

Eden Nemesis 410. Nice & light - 52 lbs - and from using it at home, sounds great too.

I`m sure I`ll be looking around for other stuff, but as this is my hobby, like Burrito, I don`t see anything wrong with buying/selling. Yes I may lose a bit of money here and there, but I don`t spend on anything else, other than bills/food/diesel, so why not.

I dont see it as a problem, completely your choice :)

If you are a car enthusiast, believe me, its MUCH more expensive, and you tend to lose a lot more money.

Guitars/basses/amps/drums can be very expensive, as can most instruments, but at least its not just an object...its something you use to create. That's the key for me.

I have had a fair few basses... but ive only ever sold one! I like a lotta different things, if they all serve a certain purpose (ie. the Gibson for phat thumps, the rick for trebley goodness, the Fender P w/ flats for bluesy stuff) then im happy. I only have real GAS for one bass in particular now, and thats just another Rick, as I know if I sold all the rest of my basses (God forbid) I know the one I really couldnt do without, and suits me the best, is the Ric. Hence having two of them makes kinda sense. lol

Ive had a LOT of amps that ive moved on over the years though. Its only been since I got my SVT and SVT610 that ive been truly happy with the tone. The problem with it is that it stands rather tall and is rather heavy... if you could get that tone (and volume!!!) in a smaller package with less speakers... someone could make a lot of money out of it... would like to give Alex's stuff a run out one of these days

For me I was lucky to get my spector when I had the spare cash back in 2003. Landed on my feet with that one.

I've had a few other basses which were all good in their own rights, but I have never felt at home as I do with my euro 4lx so I ended up selling them all.

I'd got fed up of messing around with other axes, as it's mucho expensive and you just end up running around chasing your tail..

The journey's half the fun though!!!

I always find dissatisfaction, but I'm now inclined to believe that the dissatisfaction stems more from my playing than the instrument itself - that I'll never quite make them sound like the legends; which drives me off on yet another search.

In short, I don't think it's the bass - I think it's me!

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1140843' date='Feb 25 2011, 09:09 AM']In short, I don't think it's the bass - I think it's me![/quote]

There's a lot of truth in that. Some people on here obviously feel very good about playing high end, expensive basses. Just the quality of the thing seems to be enough. That doesn't work for me at all, actually makes me quite uncomfortable. Also don't like bright colours, exotic wood, flashy shapes or active circuits. Fortunately I have a couple of black, unflashy basses that sound good and play well, but it's taken a long time and quite a few other basses to get there.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Machines' post='1138171' date='Feb 23 2011, 09:57 AM']In the last 5 years i've been through quite a few basses (in chronological order)

Spector Q6 Pro
Yamaha BB614
Fender Jazz MIM
Ibanez Musician MC900
Musicman Stingray 2EQ
Lakland 55-02
Warwick Corvette $$ 5
Bacchus Venus 5
Overwater Progress III Deluxe (Still owned)
Epiphone Thunderbird (Still owned)

And, after experiencing all of these wonderful instruments, i've come to the conclusion I still don't know what I want. The quality and price of the instrument does not seem to correlate directly to the enjoyment I get from it, this baffles me. If I had to pick between my T-Bird and the Overwater for a quick play, the T-Bird will win.

I'm starting to think having such an expensive instrument as the Progress is perhaps wasted on me, as I don't really appreciate it for what it can do. It is an exquisite instrument in terms of construction quality, and aesthetically also - is very pleasing. However I never pick it up and have a grin on my face after (ignoring initial honeymoon period of when I got it). I can't get on with the EQ at all and am not convinced changing it would make me love the bass. I think selling it and buying a couple of cheaper basses (with different sound pallets) would make me happier than one top quality custom bass.

Does anyone else find dissatisfaction with almost everything they get ?[/quote]

hay man try this one out you will not regret it i have one

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SANDBERG-PM5-Custom-shop-/290552380180?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43a6457b14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SANDBERG-PM5-Custom-...=item43a6457b14[/url]

I am very picky in this regard and I can also get the bass set-up best for me.

I don't know what some people are doing sometimes... as I had a guy sit in with my gear with a fancy Overwater and it sounded like a dog...and it played like one.
A friend of mine also has had one made and that is far more the ticket and was a very nice instrument indeed. I don't believe there is
much different regards QC between the two bar personal spec, but one guy knew what he was doing with it and the other didn't have a clue.

There is a lot that is subjective about all this but some people don't seem to help themselves. My basses are all set up light so I don't fight it at all, whereas some peoples basses are heavy and dull...by my perspective.. and I couldn't play them in a million years so therefore wouldn't want to and I could tell that within seconds of picking it up. Maybe my basses are terrible for them, but them I am not the one unhappy with it all. I can't see me selling my two main basses as I have them to fit me, IMO. What on earth would make me change, I just cannot think at this time.