Why become a member? ×

Who has No Effects?

bubinga5

Who here doesnt use any effects... i have never felt the need to use any..maybe im missing something? Not that i wouldnt but im just not knowlegable about effects... I used to have a Korg Effects unit but didnt feel the need to use any of the effects apart from a little reverb

what are the effects you use the most and what music do you use it for..

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1062479' date='Dec 18 2010, 02:09 PM']Who here doesnt use any effects... i have never felt the need to use any..maybe im missing something? Not that i wouldnt but im just not knowlegable about effects... I used to have a Korg Effects unit but didnt feel the need to use any of the effects apart from a little reverb

what are the effects you use the most and what music do you use it for..[/quote]

Just a little smear of Chorus which stays on for everything and a smidgen of OC3 if playing a fretless.
Other than that it's just compression for me.

Nothing at all when playing with the 5-piece (including keys) ... there's no physical space for it in most of the pubs we play, there's no sonic space for most effects with all that noise going on.

I use plenty (fuzz, chorus, octaver, tremelo) when playing with the 3-piece. There's a helluva lot of sonic space to be filled (or at least sketched in) when you have a slide guitar solo-ing and not much else going on.

If you don't feel the need for effects then you don't need them probably. Occasionaly people have a completely wrong idea about what they'll sound like so when they hear them used well it's an epiphany. I don't have 14 pedals because I wanted to buy them and then had to find a use for them, I wanted my bass distorted so it would sound heavy and aggressive, I wanted the sound a filter a makes for a funky synthy sound, I wanted the sound of delay for texture and ambience etc.

Basically I wanted the sounds so had to buy the pedals to produce them. If you don't want the sounds then I'd say you're not missing out.

I have a Zoom guitar effects pedal that works perfectly well for bass too, but I generally use it as a headphone amp only. Have had effects pedals in past but really - for me there's no point in having an expensive bass if you're going to completely wipe it's natural tone out with effects,