Why become a member? ×

You can't beat an all valve head... I'm afraid!

dave74200

[quote name='umph' post='942746' date='Sep 1 2010, 10:17 PM']seems to be alot of underlying valve hate in this thread which makes me sad :)[/quote]

Read what is said again. I dont think anyone said valves were bad, I for one posted a picture of the most godly of all the valve heads (just IMO), what was said very clearly was that to propose that valve amps and Ampeg in particular and an SVTIIPro to be even more particular were the only way to get a really fantastic tone, and if you didnt believe the OP you were a fool, and lying to yourself and everyone else was in fact a load of trollish horsesh*te to be derided as such to the greatest extent posible at every opportunity. Its well recognised and accepted here that there are many bass tones that can be considered really fantastic, some require valves some dont. No worries! Dogmatic claims otherwise are just bogus.

10,000 people at his last gig... Only after three hours of photoshopping, mwahahahahahaaaaaa!

Edited by 51m0n

I like to have a valve in my pre but i think my heart couldn't last longer if every time i was playing i was scared that a power valve could blow up... but with solid state there's the same fear with fuses... it all comes down to personal taste, i also like Ampeg sound for a few (realy, realy few) applications but don't let the OP know about this!

[quote name='Beedster' post='942965' date='Sep 2 2010, 07:59 AM']Jeez, what a thread, I'll never get those 15 minutes back! Did I miss something? Is Dave a legitimate member having a bad day, or a clown who came on to wind everyone up? Did he have an angle I completely missed?

Confused of Canterbury[/quote]

I actually think it was you using a different log in to wind folk up & give us a laugh. Especially as you've not been logged on the same time as "Dave", Dave Beedster! :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='942967' date='Sep 2 2010, 08:05 AM']I actually think it was you using a different log in to wind folk up & give us a laugh. Especially as you've not been logged on the same time as "Dave", Dave Beedster! :)[/quote]

Hah, rumbled. OK, hands up, it was me. But in the spirit of self analysis and personal development, can someone please explain why I did it, it's all such a blur.......

[quote name='Beedster' post='942969' date='Sep 2 2010, 08:09 AM']But in the spirit of self analysis and personal development, can someone please explain why I did it, it's all such a blur.......[/quote]
Its all that DB playing. Next you will start wearing a beret

[quote name='Clarky' post='942976' date='Sep 2 2010, 08:18 AM']Its all that DB playing. Next you will start wearing a beret[/quote]

Start?

No seriously, why did he get so into that argument? Am I looking for an angle that's simply not there? Do I need to spend more time in Off Topic and get used to this type of thread?

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='942979' date='Sep 2 2010, 08:23 AM']Do I need to spend more time in Off Topic and get used to this type of thread?[/quote]
Think he just wanted a virtual fight. Like a number of OT threads in fact which is why I tend not to dwell there - when I have done I tend to find a large part of my day disappears with little to show for it, other than a greater understanding of small number of people's prejudices

[quote name='Beedster' post='942965' date='Sep 2 2010, 07:59 AM']Is Dave a legitimate member having a bad day,[/quote]
A legitimate member almost certainly but exercising unfortunate judgement. I think he might have realised in the first couple of pages he'd bitten off more than he could chew.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='941789' date='Sep 1 2010, 10:14 AM']I can easily beat an all valve head by pouring a pint of Guinness in the vents. Ka boom.

Obviously the 'Ka boom' has superior tone to a transistor explosion though.[/quote]
I accidently did this with a pint balanced on a cab. The vibration from the home-made chipboard behemoth sporting an 18' speaker - all made in woodwork at school - pitched the glass over and into the top vent of a Sound City 120 placed on the floor. The farty noise and cloud of steam was spectacular and almost poetic. A thorough rinse and dry, and a new set of valves, and it worked good as new. The sound was still pretty average though.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='943133' date='Sep 2 2010, 10:58 AM']We have all said things on here we later regret. I reserve the right to be an arse at least once in a while. Perfection is merely aspirational![/quote]
I'm sorry Bilbo you cant reserve that right, I already made that reservation, its right here in the book see, under the name 51....

[quote name='dave74200' post='941478' date='Aug 31 2010, 10:02 PM']<snip>...It was like selling a Ferrari and buying a Vauxhall Corsa...<snip>[/quote]
[quote name='cycrowave' post='942777' date='Sep 1 2010, 10:45 PM']<snip>...I guess its a case of horses for courses...<snip>[/quote]
Horses for Corsa's, surely? :)

* Steve ambles off to to stroke and caress his new (old) Marshall Superbass :wub: ...can't wait for this weekend's gigs *

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='943169' date='Sep 2 2010, 11:21 AM']I accidently did this with a pint balanced on a cab. The vibration from the home-made chipboard behemoth sporting an 18' speaker - all made in woodwork at school - pitched the glass over and into the top vent of a Sound City 120 placed on the floor. The farty noise and cloud of steam was spectacular and almost poetic. A thorough rinse and dry, and a new set of valves, and it worked good as new. The sound was still pretty average though.[/quote]

It's always great when valves go up in a big fireball, well it looks cool, the smell and cost aren't so great.

do love soundcity 120's though try one out with a modern decent cab and complain about the sound!

I have an SVT and i am happy with my choice, its back breaking, but only back breaking once a month if i am lucky! (To gig that is)

However at band practices i am more then happy to use whatever is there to hire.

I do not drive. That is all!

[color="#C0C0C0"][size=1]
...Ampeg pwnz all of you![/size][/color]

[quote name='umph' post='943325' date='Sep 2 2010, 01:16 PM']It's always great when valves go up in a big fireball, well it looks cool, the smell and cost aren't so great.

do love soundcity 120's though try one out with a modern decent cab and complain about the sound![/quote]
Sadly it's long gone, but the home made wardrobe (4'6" tall 3 feet wide and 18 inches deep) won't have done it any favours at all. Slot reflex at the base and lined with an eiderdown. Very heavy.

I did have a Marshall superbass 100 (1980 vintage) after that and it seemed better balanced in being slightly less bright. This fed a Fender Dual Showman 2 by 15" and they sounded pretty good together as I remember.

Edited by ShergoldSnickers

To be a bit more serious and OT about this for a moment.

The sorts or statements that the OP started with always depress me because it shows that they have little understanding of the shear variety of different kinds of music that are around.

There are plenty of situations when an all-valve Ampeg is exactly the kind of amp you need to give you the right sound, but there's probably far more occasions when it's totally inappropriate. There is no single best tone. The best tone is the right tone for the particular music you are playing at any given time. If you can't understand that then you're not much of a musician really.

Also the OP has provided no links to their own music to back up any of their claims. AFAIAC not links to your music mean that as a musician you simply don't exist.

For me, this:[quote name='Low End Bee' post='941789' date='Sep 1 2010, 10:14 AM']I can easily beat an all valve head by pouring a pint of Guinness in the vents. Ka boom.
Obviously the 'Ka boom' has superior tone to a transistor explosion though.[/quote]was the [/thread] moment. Genius.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='943373' date='Sep 2 2010, 01:48 PM']AFAIAC not links to your music mean that as a musician you simply don't exist.[/quote]
Doesn't always hold true - I provide links to my music and this unfortunately proves that I am no musician!