Why become a member? ×

You can't beat an all valve head... I'm afraid!

dave74200

[quote name='BigRedX' post='943665' date='Sep 2 2010, 05:05 PM']Dave, where's your band?

No link? Then you've obviously got something to hide like maybe no band?[/quote]

Since the classic Ampeg sound generally sounds great alone vanishes as soon as some loud electric guitars get involved, figures.

[quote name='dave74200' post='943619' date='Sep 2 2010, 04:36 PM']No, you're right mate. Ampeg SVT's are total sh*te. You've converted me and i'm going to sell mine at a car boot sale for a tenner. It propably won't sell though cos it's such a load of crap. Perhaps I'll just give it away to some 'fool' who likes having a really bad tone.[/quote]

Wow touchy touchy, sounds almost as touchy as.... oh thats right the people you slagged off for having anything other then an Ampeg!

Maybe i should get rid of my Ampeg Anniversary SVT because i wouldnt want to be associated with the likes of you!

Also in regard to Ampeg fridges, they have been made for many many years now with little changes, some people call it the industry standard. I say Ampeg are shooting themselves in the foot that they havent taken the last few decades of cab engineering advancements into consideration and build a more modern alternative. I would LOVE a lightweight ported 8x10 with the words Ampeg on it!

Dave,

I think you underestimate Basschat. I can hand on heart say if you posted your band and maybe even some shots of you playing in front of some huge audiences people might take you more seriously, and I have enough confidence in our little forum that things wouldn't spill out of basschat! I'm really curious to know if I might have seen you live or similar!

I also hate to add to the debate at this stage but I was late to the party. I have a Lightweight(ish) valve amp, what do I win?! :)

[quote name='MythSte' post='943944' date='Sep 2 2010, 09:09 PM']Dave,

I think you underestimate Basschat. I can hand on heart say if you posted your band and maybe even some shots of you playing in front of some huge audiences people might take you more seriously, and I have enough confidence in our little forum that things wouldn't spill out of basschat! I'm really curious to know if I might have seen you live or similar!

I also hate to add to the debate at this stage but I was late to the party. I have a Lightweight(ish) valve amp, what do I win?! :)[/quote]

Didn't you hear, Ste? Trace Elliot are sh*t.

Bloomin heck what a thread.

I think if you want an Ampeg tone, and dont mind the weight, go for it. They are industry standard.

Yep the 8x10 is inefficient, but I doubt most big touring bands care or even notice!

Certain things are only achievable with tubes amps. If you like it, do the wise thing and get a lightweight amp as well. That's what I did.

[quote name='MythSte' post='943944' date='Sep 2 2010, 09:09 PM']Dave,

I also hate to add to the debate at this stage but I was late to the party. I have a Lightweight(ish) valve amp, what do I win?! :)[/quote]
Some people seem to be very protective about their bands and don't publicise them. =/

+1 my friend!

i bought an SVT VR and despite all the back pain, literally to the point where i couldn't move (that happened on a few occasions!!) i have NEVER looked back and thought wish i had something lighter.... yes it would be nice to have that tone and power in a lightweight amp. but nothing can beat 14 tubes all in one amp! :)

[quote name='dave74200' post='943619' date='Sep 2 2010, 04:36 PM']No, you're right mate. Ampeg SVT's are total sh*te. You've converted me and i'm going to sell mine at a car boot sale for a tenner. It propably won't sell though cos it's such a load of crap. Perhaps I'll just give it away to some 'fool' who likes having a really bad tone.[/quote]
I have no desire whatsoever to "convert" you. I desire nothing that you use in preference to anything that I use, and I'm sure that the converse is also the case. You're rather getting your arse in your hands, aren't you?

Guest johnzgerman

i may have joined the party late but it looks like i may have to sell my shockingly bad and somewhat toneless solid state aguilar ag500 for a huge loss, as of course its utterly useless as a professional bass amp because there are no valves present, and, whats worse is that it weighs a cocking ton for its reasonably small size, so it loses on both counts:(

does anyone have an SVTll pro i could replace it with?

It always makes me wonder why people, who crave their opinions to be taken as gospel, involve themselves in an industry that promotes subjectivity!

What a waste of energy!
There is also the matter of context.....is it silly lugging an all-valve SVT and an 8x10 Fridge to a wedding gig........yes it is....very silly!.

Si

I've been shifting heavy cabs/amps/PAs/drum risers etc etc for years and my back/neck/shoulder/penis is fine. Maybe you all need to man up, get to the gym and start taking care of yourselves when lifting!
I only mention this because so many of you that say that weight is a major factor when choosing your rig.
Also, valves can swing on my nuts.

Truckstop

Edited for horrendous spelling mistakes. Im on holiday. I'm allowed to drink on a thursday night.

Edited by Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' post='944107' date='Sep 3 2010, 12:27 AM']I've been shifting heavy cabs/amps/PAs/drum risers etc etc for years and my back/neck/shoulder/penis is fine. Maybe you all need to man up, get to the gym and start taking care of yourselves when lifting![/quote]

Now thats not what the argument is about. What where saying is that you can get that sound, if not better, at a considerably lighter weight so why bother with the overpriced, unreliable & over weight piece of sh*t that is formally known as "Ampeg".

[size=1]This is all MY opinion though. Yours may differ but thats life and i'm not going to loose sleep over it. [/size]