Why become a member? ×

You can't beat an all valve head... I'm afraid!

dave74200

[quote name='Colledge' post='944128' date='Sep 3 2010, 01:21 AM']i think its time to let this one die now, as it should have done around page 5[/quote]
Hear, hear.

This thread has lasted even after multiple Hitler insertions.

Should I bring up paedophilia and kill it once and for all? Oops. :)

Watched Blur 'the singles' gig on Sky Arts last night. What was Alex James using? A Stingray into an SVT 2 Pro with 8x10 'fridge'. But hey, what does he know! He sounded awesome by the way, but the amp was probably off or just a cardboard cut out of it just for show. Like many have told me, he was probably just going straight into the mixing desk through a £100 di pedal.

[quote name='dave74200' post='944195' date='Sep 3 2010, 08:42 AM']Watched Blur 'the singles' gig on Sky Arts last night. What was Alex James using? A Stingray into an SVT 2 Pro with 8x10 'fridge'. But hey, what does he know! He sounded awesome by the way, but the amp was probably off or just a cardboard cut out of it just for show. Like many have told me, he was probably just going straight into the mixing desk through a £100 di pedal.[/quote]

Dave let it go mate, you'll give yourself an ulcer. We all have stuff we like (check out my post on the second page of this thread which to my mind sums it up), and start a thread about something that you're not pathologically obsessed with

C

[quote name='dave74200' post='944195' date='Sep 3 2010, 08:42 AM']Watched Blur 'the singles' gig on Sky Arts last night. What was Alex James using? A Stingray into an SVT 2 Pro with 8x10 'fridge'. But hey, what does he know! He sounded awesome by the way, but the amp was probably off or just a cardboard cut out of it just for show. Like many have told me, he was probably just going straight into the mixing desk through a £100 di pedal.[/quote]

Alex james? Isn't he a cheese farmer these days?

[quote name='Beedster' post='944199' date='Sep 3 2010, 08:46 AM']Dave let it go mate, you'll give yourself an ulcer. We all have stuff we like (check out my post on the second page of this thread which to my mind sums it up), and start a thread about something that you're not pathologically obsessed with

C[/quote]

[quote name='Beedster' post='941677' date='Sep 1 2010, 07:43 AM']+1 which is consistent with the original post; we all think that what we own is the best :)

C[/quote]

There it is Dave, if you think about it, I was actually agreeing with you in the post above

C

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='944199' date='Sep 3 2010, 08:46 AM']Dave let it go mate, you'll give yourself an ulcer. We all have stuff we like (check out my post on the second page of this thread which to my mind sums it up), and start a thread about something that you're not pathologically obsessed with

C[/quote]
I'll let it go when everyone else does. It's a bit one sided if I have to shut up and still read of barrage of others telling me their opinions. Some of which are a load of embarrasing cobblers. Not you by the way. I can tell the guys who know their stuff apart from the little know nothings who are constantly chirping up to tell me to piss off!

It's weird, I don't understand why someone can only accept one product as good and a whole industry as sh*t?

I have an SVT but I have heard just a good of a tone and better.

I was at Reading this weekend and saw Mesa Boogie 400+'s, Shuttles, Mark Bass', Fender and many others (No Mashalls though?) and they all sounded great because at a 'pro' gig the sound is determined by FOH and to be honest I used to love the tone from my Peavey MK3 it just didn't have the power.

Seriously Dave the crux of the issue is do you really think that an SVT is the only solution for every occasion?

[quote name='dave74200' post='944207' date='Sep 3 2010, 08:50 AM']I can tell the guys who know their stuff apart from the little know nothings who are constantly chirping up to tell me to piss off![/quote]
Good for you. What a fine intelligent chap you are.

Oh go on then I will bite.

I like an SVT, always fantasised about having one since I started playing bass. SVT with 8x10 and a Stingray. That was the dream.

Well eventually I got my Stingray and had an Ampeg 410 with Ashdown head. The head was crappy and I had money so I went out to look for another solution, Found a store with an SVT and 8x10, played through it and almost wet myself with the excitement that very soon I would be taking it home.

Just as I was talking my brain into putting it on the credit card and to hell with the consequence I spotted a Markbass CL108 and decided to have a punt with it for the laugh (I had not seen one in store before and thought best to try it as I probably wouldn't ever get to again!)

Markbass was just phenomenal. Plus with the LM250 head I could keep my Ampeg 410 and use it for smaller gigs and still get a nice sound. Weighed less, moved the same amount of air and honestly, with the VLE on full it's as close to an Ampeg at low volume as Line 6 will ever get .

Each to their own Dave.

I didn't think Dave was saying that the SVT is the only good amp. He was saying it's the only good amp for him. I think the point of the OP was that if you want "that tone" (and that's your tone, not Daves tone, that tone that you like, the really good one) and you have it, then stick with your gear. Sometimes very inconvinient gear is worth it just for getting "that tone".

As I said previously it would be close-minded to stick with one amp and never try any others. Why Dave didn't try out the lightweight amps before selling his SVT I have no idea.

It's marvellous this has gone to 18 pages!

It's a shame Dave feelshe's being ganged up on, and is getting all defensive because some folks don't agree with him. Personally speaking, I love it when people say I'm talking sh*t. It gets me thinking, and I realise I'm wrong sometimes. I still believe in my amp/cab sims though :)

Dave, the cheese farmer in question happens to like the SVT -> 810 thing. Bit like you do.

He has the luxury of some poor roadie to move it for him too!

So he uses one. So what?

We can name a myriad serious bassists in huge bands that happen to not like or use that particular solution, since it is not the only one.

Why can not accept that it is really not the be all and end all of bass tone?

Why do you continue to try and say that there are people on this forum in this thread who dont know what they are talking about?

I assure you that I, and I think anyone else reading this thread, would seriously struggle to pick anyone out as not knowing what they were talking about, since I havent actually seen anyone in here saying anything unreasonable but you.

And the only thing you are saying that is unreasonable is that there is NOTHING better than an SVTIIPro into an Ampeg 810 for any bass application.

That is not true for everyone. Not even close!

It may be the best tone for you that you can imagine (hey congratulations you search is over), but unless you only play one style of music for the rest of your life, or your taste in bass tones never ever changes, then that will not always be the case anyway.

Had it crossed you mind at any point that there are many iconic bass tones in rock that aren't in any way reliant on an Ampeg SVT or an 810? Have a listen to some Stranglers, mate, you may learn a thing or two....

[quote name='51m0n' post='944332' date='Sep 3 2010, 10:49 AM']Dave, the cheese farmer in question happens to like the SVT -> 810 thing. Bit like you do.

He has the luxury of some poor roadie to move it for him too!

So he uses one. So what?

We can name a myriad serious bassists in huge bands that happen to not like or use that particular solution, since it is not the only one.

Why can not accept that it is really not the be all and end all of bass tone?

Why do you continue to try and say that there are people on this forum in this thread who dont know what they are talking about?

I assure you that I, and I think anyone else reading this thread, would seriously struggle to pick anyone out as not knowing what they were talking about, since I havent actually seen anyone in here saying anything unreasonable but you.

And the only thing you are saying that is unreasonable is that there is NOTHING better than an SVTIIPro into an Ampeg 810 for any bass application.

That is not true for everyone. Not even close!

It may be the best tone for you that you can imagine (hey congratulations you search is over), but unless you only play one style of music for the rest of your life, or your taste in bass tones never ever changes, then that will not always be the case anyway.

Had it crossed you mind at any point that there are many iconic bass tones in rock that aren't in any way reliant on an Ampeg SVT or an 810? Have a listen to some Stranglers, mate, you may learn a thing or two....[/quote]

I dont even think he's been using ampeg cabs recently. Im pretty sure I saw him using Basson at T in the Park this year. Whatever it was it was deeper than an ampeg. and it was 2 cabs, not an 810.