Why become a member? ×

You can't beat an all valve head... I'm afraid!

dave74200

Here's a preview from my idea in my first post in this topic:

[color="#808080"][size=1][b]SVT-2Pro:[/b]

RMS Power Output (4 Ohms): 300-Watts
RMS Power Output (2 Ohms): 300-Watts
Preamp: Tubes (4 x 12AX7, 1 x 12AU7)
Driver Tubes: 1 x 12AX7, 2 x 12AU7
Power Amp: Tubes (6 x 6550)
Tone Controls: 3-Band
Mid Tone Control: 5-Position
Graphic EQ: Yes, 9-Band
Ultra Low/High Boosts: Yes
Balanced Line Out: Yes, Pre/Post (transformer)
Effects Loop: Yes
Preamp Out/Power Amp In: Yes
Slave Out: Yes
Dimensions (W x H x D inches): 19 x 7.5 x 15.75
Weight: 70 Pounds

[b]SVT-810E:[/b]

LF Drivers: 8 x 10”
Voice Coil: 2”
Magnet Weight (each): 30 oz
RMS Power Handling: 2 x 400-Watts (Stereo)
RMS Power Handling: 800-Watts (Mono)
Frequency Response (-3dB): 58Hz-5kHz
Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 40Hz
Nominal Impedance: 2 x 8-Ohms (Stereo)
Nominal Impedance: 4-Ohms (Mono)
Sensitivity: 100dB
Maximum SPL: 130dB
Dimensions (W x H x D inches): 26 x 48 x 16
Shipping Weight: 165 Pounds
Handling Weight: 140 Pounds

[b]Shuttle 9.0:[/b]

• Ultra Lightweight 4 lb Design
• 500W/8 ohms; 900W/4 ohms
• Analog 12AX7 Tube Preamp
• Digital SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply)
• High Current Class D Amplifier
• Patent Pending P.H.A.T topology
• Active EQ w/Parametric Mids
• 3-Band Signal Shape Circuit (Footswitchable)
• Signal Mute Switch (Footswitchable)
• Tuner Out
• Extended Range Input Gain Structure for Active/Passive Sensitivity
• Limiter Circuit
• LED Status Indicators
• Speakon® Speaker Outputs
• Variable Speed Internal Fan Cooling
• Full XLR Direct Out Interface
• Aux. Input
• Headphone Jack
• Effects Loop
• Optional Footswitch available

[b]Midget T:[/b]

Dimensions - 19.5" H x 13.5" W x 13.5" D ; 48cm x 34cm x 34cm
Weight - 20 lbs / 9 kg (Midget) ; 22lbs / 10kg (Midget T)
Sensitivity - 100dB - as loud as many 2x12" cabs
USABLE Frequency RANGe - 37Hz - 4kHz (Midget) ; 37Hz - 22kHz (Midget T)
Recommended Amp Power - 200-600W RMS
Maximum CONTINUOUS BROADBAND SPL - 126dB - louder than most 2x10"s
Nominal Impedance - 8 ohms[/size][/color]

Wich one do you think would play louder/better? Damm those sh*tty lightweight rigs... let's all bow the all-mightyness of Ampeg! :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='942557' date='Sep 1 2010, 07:53 PM']....I'm with silddx, buy a POD and have any tone and or sound you want, make your bass sound like a family of chimps with flatulence if you want....[/quote]
I'm still at the stage where I need my trousers flapping to enjoy a gig. You just don't get that with a POD!

[quote name='chris_b' post='942622' date='Sep 1 2010, 08:32 PM']I'm still at the stage where I need my trousers flapping to enjoy a gig. You just don't get that with a POD![/quote]
True. An oversight on my part there. I don't suppose a fan next to the POD wafting air around the trouser area would have the desired effect either.? :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='942557' date='Sep 1 2010, 07:53 PM']One highlight of the thread though, that picture of Jake in his best bib and tucker, very fetching and the monocle a very nice addition.[/quote]

Just for you Marvin here's one of me with said monocle in situ, as you can tell, I don't take myself too seriously.... :) :rolleyes: :lol:
[attachment=57920:IMG_0196.jpg]

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='942640' date='Sep 1 2010, 08:43 PM']Just for you Marvin here's one of me with said monocle in situ, as you can tell, I don't take myself too seriously.... :rolleyes: :lol: :o
[attachment=57920:IMG_0196.jpg][/quote]
Very much the part Jake. If only more were not to take themselves to seriously. Excellent stuff :)

I've been reading this all day & it's been excellent!

I'm just in from putting a silver cloth grill on my combo & painting the head black with some silver lettering. I've also fitted a smoke machine inside it & bolted the whole lot to my house (to make it weighty of course).

I really just wanted to get a post in before the day's out! :)

I'm a semi pro player, i study at uni, i gig regularly etc etc yada yada. I am buying an Ampeg SVT3pro in a few weeks becuase i love the tone. Now, i would also like to say that cumon people, there is no be all and end all in tone is there? I am sure it is not down to my youthfull inexperience that makes me think that if you like your tone, great, the end. You could play Ampeg, Markbass, Acoustic or whatever. Long as you enjoy it, and others dig what you do?
Can i get an Ahmen!!

[quote name='D-L-B' post='942213' date='Sep 1 2010, 03:13 PM']Your opinion is BULL$H!T!!! :)

It's what comes before the amp that's important and makes more difference than anything. Sh1t in equals sh1t out.

Worth remembering that you're not allowed to toggle with the EQ on the PA so your 'bad sound' could be down to that and also your bass being crap. :rolleyes:[/quote]

+1 to this

At the end of the day, you are at the mercy of the sound engineer and the front house PA.
Your amp is just a monitor.... AMPEG or not.

It's an interesting one because to this day the best bass + amp setup I've heard, in the flesh and in the gig situation, was a Stingray plugged into an Ampeg SVT2-Pro and Ampeg 8x10". Just phenomenal!

That said I love my Mesa 400+ and my MarkBass SA450 pretty much equally through my Barefaced cabs. It's only normally me not fancying humping the dead weight of the valve amp around that stops me from using it sometimes :rolleyes:

[quote name='umph' post='942746' date='Sep 1 2010, 10:17 PM']seems to be alot of underlying valve hate in this thread which makes me sad :)[/quote]

Edited by jonthebass

I'm new to valves, and this forum so forgive me for intruding. I must say though, playing through a valve amp for the first time was a semi spiritual experience :)

Hearing the tubes sing to me as I hit the overdrive, leaning the bass against the amp and just wallowing in a bed of feedback, driving it even further with compression and hearing that amazing warble effect as the tubes break up and die out.

That said, I can really appreciate a lovely hifi solid state sound.
I guess its a case of horses for courses. But I'm pretty sure my horse is hot and glowing and sings when you slap her :rolleyes:

[quote name='umph' post='942746' date='Sep 1 2010, 10:17 PM']seems to be alot of underlying valve hate in this thread which makes me sad :)[/quote]
Really? I hadn't noticed any of that. There is quite a lot of underlying arrogance/stupidity hate though, which is good :rolleyes:

haha! proper funny thread!

some people are retards! 10000 people gig! hahahahahaha!

i like ampeg but as a lot of you have said most of the big names use the cl or very old vintage pegs! and he clearly has no idea about pro guitar rigs as several big bands get the main guitar sound from a little combo mic'd thats put thru the main amp speakers! not all tho.

arent trolls awesome lol!

andy