Why become a member? ×

You can't beat an all valve head... I'm afraid!

dave74200

[quote name='dave74200' post='943588' date='Sep 2 2010, 04:20 PM']Anyway all. I'm off now to think of another thread to start! Thanks for all your 'friendly' comments. It's been a blast but like all good things, must surely come to an end.[/quote]
It's been loads of fun mate! And I only started to read it an hour ago :)

Good luck with your upper limb disorder, there are plenty of people on here who may be able to offer some experience, opinion or help should you wish to start a thread on the matter.

All the best.

[quote name='dave74200' post='943540' date='Sep 2 2010, 03:52 PM'][b]Anyone who knows their onions will have heard a Precision through an SVT 2 and 8x10 cabinet. That's what it sounds like, the real deal[/b]![/quote]

Oh dear....

You see this is it, where you are going so very wrong.

A precision thru an SVT into a fridge sounds like a precision going thru an SVT and into a fridge. That is only 'the real deal' if thats the sound you want. Otherwise its cr*p. Totally and utterly cr*p.

Its also damnably heavy, liable to failure (its a tube amp), and remarkably inefficient by modern standards (that would be a sealed cab, cant argue with physics mate!). Oh, and arguably overpriced.

There are also other options available for achieving similar or even better sounds. Yes there are, however hard you try and deny it. Some of those options may or may not use tubes, sealed cabs, no amp at all. But they all can achieve timbres close enough to the venerable SVT->Coffin, some are considered even better.

Those are the facts.

Until you have heard and tried all those options though, you cant just say nothing else can even compare, because on a forum like this there are almost certainly a bunch of people who have actually tried significantly more gear than you have, and between all the people on here I guarantee they have more experience than you on your own. If you were on Talkbass you would be arguing with the likes of [url="http://bowlusblog.blogspot.com/"]TomBowlus[/url], and he's got more gear in his basement than almost anyone on this forum has even tried I reckon....

If you had said, "Finally I'm back where I started, its been a crazy long winded trip, but I love the tone of my blah blah blah" you'd have had nothing but support.

Instead you try to tell a lot of people who have a lot of experience with some extremely high end kit that if their preference is not for the amp you like then they dont know what they are talking about. That tends to get people into a bit of a mob, you will get bashing for it. You got exactly wht you deserved IMO.

Never mind alls well that ends well :)

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='tauzero' post='943611' date='Sep 2 2010, 04:32 PM']I do care about tone and power. That's why I won't touch a valve amp.[/quote]
No, you're right mate. Ampeg SVT's are total sh*te. You've converted me and i'm going to sell mine at a car boot sale for a tenner. It propably won't sell though cos it's such a load of crap. Perhaps I'll just give it away to some 'fool' who likes having a really bad tone.

[quote name='dave74200' post='943619' date='Sep 2 2010, 04:36 PM']No, you're right mate. Ampeg SVT's are total sh*te. You've converted me and i'm going to sell mine at a car boot sale for a tenner. It propably won't sell though cos it's such a load of crap. Perhaps I'll just give it away to some 'fool' who likes having a really bad tone.[/quote]

:snob:

[quote name='dave74200' post='943619' date='Sep 2 2010, 04:36 PM']No, you're right mate. Ampeg SVT's are total sh*te. You've converted me and i'm going to sell mine at a car boot sale for a tenner. It propably won't sell though cos it's such a load of crap. Perhaps I'll just give it away to some 'fool' who likes having a really bad tone.[/quote]

Oh no, just when it was dying down as well :)

Dave, you keep kinda saying you're going but you can't leave it alone can you? Read Simon's post above, and have a think mate. Then put your hands up, have a good laugh at yourself, accept defeat (no-one can win any argument relating to tone, taste, choice etc because there are no absolutes in any of these, so there's no shame in admitting it), and then let the physios on here give you some advice about your pain/injury issue with good will

Chris

[quote name='silddx' post='943631' date='Sep 2 2010, 04:42 PM']That's one of Dylan's better lyrics.[/quote]

Wiki:
"The Windmills of Your Mind" (Les moulins de mon cœur) is a song with music by Michel Legrand, as well as Alan Bergman and Marilyn Bergman, and lyrics by the Bergmans, from the 1968 film The Thomas Crown Affair.

[quote name='dave74200' post='943588' date='Sep 2 2010, 04:20 PM']Anyway all. I'm off now to think of another thread to start! Thanks for all your 'friendly' comments. It's been a blast but like all good things, must surely come to an end.[/quote]

Wow, when I last saw this it was only a few pages long, dave you certainly know how to create a lively debate, cant' wait to hear what your favorite bass and style of music is :)

[quote name='Earbrass' post='943654' date='Sep 2 2010, 04:56 PM']Wiki:
"The Windmills of Your Mind" (Les moulins de mon cœur) is a song with music by Michel Legrand, as well as Alan Bergman and Marilyn Bergman, and lyrics by the Bergmans, from the 1968 film The Thomas Crown Affair.[/quote]
Yes, I was being a bit sarky.

I thought cœur was heart?

15 pages, day 3! Still no end in sight. Mods have requested refreshments for weary contributors and a special rest area has been made available in the BC Arms for anyone who needs a lie down.

MEDIC! MEDIC! Quickly, we've got a faller.

Edited by Marvin