Why become a member? ×

You can't beat an all valve head... I'm afraid!

dave74200

Dave - was your main point supposed to be "once you find your sound, stick with it, don't mess about trying other gear because it's lighter/more reliable because it'll never reproduce your sound"?

Or was it literally "all amps are sh*t except ampegs"?

Either way, a most enjoyable thread.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='943539' date='Sep 2 2010, 03:52 PM']Dave - was your main point supposed to be "once you find your sound, stick with it, don't mess about trying other gear because it's lighter/more reliable because it'll never reproduce your sound"?

Or was it literally "all amps are sh*t except ampegs"?

Either way, a most enjoyable thread.[/quote]
It was once you've found your sound, stick with it yes. The grass isn't always greener etc.. I stated why I sold my original SVT head, too heavy! To me though, it's worth the weight.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='943541' date='Sep 2 2010, 03:53 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99344&st=0&p=928165&#entry928165"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry928165[/url][/quote]
And? I realise that people can see my other posts. I have never said that I didn't try many other options before going back to the SVT.

[quote name='dave74200' post='943523' date='Sep 2 2010, 03:42 PM']Thanks all. As I said, it started as a bit of genuine advice but you've all quite rightly got your knives out and everyone's joined the party. At least I've made some people laugh.... I hope. I was never aiming to be a 'troll' cos they're supposed to write things to just wind people up. My thread never started as that, I genuinley mean what I wrote. Anyway, all of you enjoy what amps you play through and I'll enjoy mine. The only thing that has been a bit sad is the mob culture many have adopted. There are people who've admitted that they can't afford a valve amp, have tried one and prefer SS, or don't want to carry one, which is great, but what annoys me are the people who've probably never played through a valve amp, own a budget amp and have still told me i'm full of sh*t because it's been the fashionable thing to do! Cheers all.... the 'troll' x[/quote]
Stop playing the victim, sunshine. What do you let little clueless midgets with cheap amps annoy you? They aren't a gang, that's ridiculous! Try to get some perspective and realise this thread has been hilarious, whether you meant it to or not.

Everyone has to justify their choices and some do that more vociferously than others. Personally, I would detest the limitations using ANY amp would impose on me, that's why I don't use one. I simply can't perceive any advantages to them, except for a bit of stage monitor in small venues. I think big powerful amps will be a thing of the past within twenty years, they are already completely redundant. They are more of a visual choice than anything else.

[quote name='dave74200' post='943543' date='Sep 2 2010, 03:54 PM']It was once you've found your sound, stick with it yes. The grass isn't always greener etc.. I stated why I sold my original SVT head, too heavy! To me though, it's worth the weight.[/quote]

In one sense, I totally agree, the grass isn't always greener. However, in the case of bass amps, you can always give the grass a quick try out.

I get my sound out of a peavey+behringer+guitar amp + loads of pedals set up. That's my sound, and it isn't broken, so i'm not looking to fix it. As far as i'm aware, the grass doesn't get any greener, but that doesn't mean I would turn my nose up at the chance to try an ampeg. It's just I wouldn't sell my rig without finding a better one first.

[quote name='dave74200' post='934702' date='Aug 24 2010, 01:09 PM']Hi all, i've been playing on and off for years, am 38 and have been playing loads in 2 gigging bands recently. I've found that I have neck pain a lot, which is in my strumming arm side...[/quote]

I get it Dave, your great sound is down to Ampeg, Precision, and your strumming technique? Perhaps it's the strumming that brings out the best in the Ampeg? Had you explained that earlier we might have understood your point :)

[quote name='silddx' post='943546' date='Sep 2 2010, 03:57 PM']Stop playing the victim, sunshine. What do you let little clueless midgets with cheap amps annoy you? They aren't a gang, that's ridiculous! Try to get some perspective and realise this thread has been hilarious, whether you meant it to or not.

Everyone has to justify their choices and some do that more vociferously than others. Personally, I would detest the limitations using ANY amp would impose on me, that's why I don't use one. I simply can't perceive any advantages to them, except for a bit of stage monitor in small venues. I think big powerful amps will be a thing of the past within twenty years, they are already completely redundant. They are more of a visual choice than anything else.[/quote]
Fair do's!

[quote name='silddx' post='943507' date='Sep 2 2010, 03:30 PM']Or you are corned beef. Or have what you consider to be a small penis. Or something. :)[/quote]

[quote name='Beedster' post='943514' date='Sep 2 2010, 03:35 PM']And there I was a few posts back worried that I might kick things off again :rolleyes:[/quote]

Told you Nige :lol:

[quote name='Beedster' post='943549' date='Sep 2 2010, 03:59 PM']I get it Dave, your great sound is down to Ampeg, Precision, and your strumming technique? Perhaps it's the strumming that brings out the best in the Ampeg? Had you explained that earlier we might have understood your point :)[/quote]
Yep, seeing a physiotherapist now actually. Not as funny as you may think, but thanks for having a laugh at madical conditions, you're a gent.

[quote name='dave74200' post='943560' date='Sep 2 2010, 04:02 PM']Yep, seeing a physiotherapist now actually. Not as funny as you may think, but thanks for having a laugh at madical conditions, you're a gent.[/quote]

He'll probably tell you to get a lighter amp :)

[quote name='dave74200' post='943566' date='Sep 2 2010, 04:04 PM']No, it is down to playing. Many players get it apparently but like I said, there's always a laugh in it for ya![/quote]
Look Mr V, no-one is laughing at you for your condition, relax and stop being oversensitive. What do you know about your condition? Why do you say many players get it? What have you got?

In other news, do you want everyone to sound like [b]you[/b]? or do [b]you [/b]want to sound like everyone else? or do you think all bass players should sound the same and it's just the notes that matter? Do you have iron curtains?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='943373' date='Sep 2 2010, 01:48 PM']........ the OP has provided no links to their own music to back up any of their claims. AFAIAC not links to your music mean that as a musician you simply don't exist.[/quote]

I don't know about that...
I would personally ban all myspace band websites... they DO ming :)