Why become a member? ×

You can't beat an all valve head... I'm afraid!

dave74200

[quote name='dave74200' post='941935' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:30 PM']The issue is, there's no real standard on here is there. I could be having a debate with people who are pro musicians or people who can barely play the bass or have a sh*t sound anyway. Who knows? My original post was intended for anyone who has a big heavy valve amp and is thinking of selling it for something more portable. I regretted it big time and think they would too. My last crowd was 10,000 and I need a big rig, and love the tone it gives me. I searched every other make and model and couldn't find anything that came close. That's all.... was just a bit of advice, didn't realise it'd ruffle so many feathers![/quote]

Oh right, so I see, well, feel free to follow the link to my myspace page, and with your heightened awareness and golden ears listen to the first track "What It Is", and tell me what the recording chain was, did I use a valve pre, head, mic a cab or not, what cab and mic was it? Can I play or not? What post processing was involved to get the timbres you hear? Was it recorded to tape, or digital?

Then post me a link to your band website, and I'll critique your work too.

What fun!!

Rest assured there are some very very pro players on this site, some semi-pro players, some hobbyists (some are as good as the pros) and some people learning and trying to get better.

We have a real community oif bass loving types of all standards, with equiptment ranging from starters to the very very highest of high end imaginable. Some of the latter dont have a valve in their signal path, some do. They all sound the absolute canine undercarriage to me though.

What would I know though...

[quote name='dave74200' post='941910' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:10 PM']Oh come on. Some of you obviously don't agree with me and I perfectly accept that. I can also see exactly what many of you are saying. Very sensible and worthwhile. But this guy is just talking sh*te man! Nobody on here can tell me that an SVT is sh*t. Some may prefer other tones etc but come on![/quote]

I'm gonna tell you right now: An SVT is sh*t. There is a 69/70 SVT sat within 20 feet of me right now and it sound can be described as non existent. It is crude, badly constructed and quite clearly has been beat, to death, by a previous owner. I've had a look inside, and the construction and components are not of noteable quality, and when it is eventually returned to a working state, at a cost of most likely more than most of my rig (minus the cab, expensive toy), it will sound like an Ampeg SVT, not whatever you plug into it, which is not great if you actually want to do things like amplify the sound from the rest of your signal path. Also of note is that as far as I know, this one is an all valve head, unlike the SVT2 which has a whole bunch of solid state components. All valve stuff can sound great, but stuff that is not all valve, such as your 'great sounding' amp can sound great whilst being a hybrid.

[quote name='umph' post='941912' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:11 PM']I think all these guys are paid quite a bit to use these amps.[/quote]

Paid by people who buy new Ampegs. I'd rather spend the money on a nice amp for me, although I'd cheerfully lend to Geezer or Tim.

[quote name='dave74200' post='941941' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:33 PM']So why don't all bands use stuff they can get in the back of a car and save on transport and road crew costs?[/quote]

Oh dear. Well there is the endorsement system, for which artists are paid to appear to use certain gear (believe me they often dont use what you see n the stage - smoke and mirrors!)

There is the element of the big show spectacle here too.

You are aware that it is possible to buy Ampeg 810 cab fronts (3" deep pretend cabs) and marshal stacks too, they stack real nice in the van, a roady can fill your stage with them in 5 minutes, and the haulage on them is peanuts compared to actual rigs. Just one amp somewhere (not necessary line of sight ot the audience) is mic'ed and the FOH and monitors are fed from that amp alone.

There is the fact that certain companies are very prevalent in certain countries, and it is cheaper to use the in house kit than pay to haul gear.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='941955' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:43 PM']I'm gonna tell you right now: An SVT is sh*t. There is a 69/70 SVT sat within 20 feet of me right now and it sound can be described as non existent. It is crude, badly constructed and quite clearly has been beat, to death, by a previous owner. I've had a look inside, and the construction and components are not of noteable quality, and when it is eventually returned to a working state, at a cost of most likely more than most of my rig (minus the cab, expensive toy), it will sound like an Ampeg SVT, not whatever you plug into it, which is not great if you actually want to do things like amplify the sound from the rest of your signal path. Also of note is that as far as I know, this one is an all valve head, unlike the SVT2 which has a whole bunch of solid state components. All valve stuff can sound great, but stuff that is not all valve, such as your 'great sounding' amp can sound great whilst being a hybrid.

Paid by people who buy new Ampegs. I'd rather spend the money on a nice amp for me, although I'd cheerfully lend to Geezer or Tim.[/quote]
I rest my case!

[quote name='dave74200' post='941948' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:38 PM']Of course I could be but i'm not. And, as I said, putting my band's website on here would not be a good idea would it. My posts you refer to were retaliation for the barrage of posts I recieved telling me I was talking sh*te.[/quote]

Which one aren't you?

As I recall the barrage of posts were a few politely put opinions on non-ampeg gear being okay really, I'll go check...

[quote name='Muzz' post='941526' date='Aug 31 2010, 10:57 PM']Well, as an ex-Ampeg owner, my Markbass and Sansamp do the job. All the tone, a fraction of the weight. I'd say IMHO, but that doesn't seem to be where this thread's at...so that's a definite. Anyone who disagrees is clearly kidding themselves... :)[/quote]

I think Muzz was having a bit of a chuckle at this point. Hardly claiming you were talking sh*te.

[quote name='dave74200' post='941948' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:38 PM']My posts you refer to were retaliation for the barrage of posts I recieved telling me I was talking sh*te.[/quote]

Re-read the thread. The first mention of sh*te I can find is post number five where you appear to have taken umbridge at someone having a different opinion to you.

Never mind - entertaining thread :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='941952' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:41 PM']Oh right, so I see, well, feel free to follow the link to my myspace page, and with your heightened awareness and golden ears listen to the first track "What It Is", and tell me what the recording chain was, did I use a valve pre, head, mic a cab or not, what cab and mic was it? Can I play or not? What post processing was involved to get the timbres you hear? Was it recorded to tape, or digital?

Then post me a link to your band website, and I'll critique your work too.

What fun!!

Rest assured there are some very very pro players on this site, some semi-pro players, some hobbyists (some are as good as the pros) and some people learning and trying to get better.

We have a real community oif bass loving types of all standards, with equiptment ranging from starters to the very very highest of high end imaginable. Some of the latter dont have a valve in their signal path, some do. They all sound the absolute canine undercarriage to me though.

What would I know though...[/quote]
Yawn!!

[quote name='dave74200' post='941972' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:55 PM']Yawn!![/quote]

Touche!

Such a riposte.

With an argument of that magnitude from such a spectacular musician as yourself I can see I really should change my opinion of the magnificently versatile SVTIIPro head, that I have seen hundreds of. Truly it is said that only a big Ampeg head and a fridge can actally deliver the tone of the righteous man. At this point there needs to be a bit about striking down, fureious vengeance etc etc....

Really, tell me who is the band you play for, where was this fabuous 10000 punter gig you so recently played?

Has you neck stopped hurting on your [i]strumming[/i] arm side yet? :)

Troll.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='941977' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:59 PM']You know when you 'rest your case' you are supposed to stop saying stuff right?[/quote]
Yep, and leave all you with your 2kg baby amps that you can carry in your man handbag on the way to your next open mic session at the Flying Horse!

[quote name='dave74200' post='941976' date='Sep 1 2010, 12:58 PM']....It's hard to know what he's on about. Adult literacy might be an option for him!....[/quote]
Dave, when you're in a hole.... stop digging! What ever valid points you may have are totally overshadowed by your poor communication skills. You’re not amusing any more just stop.

[quote name='dave74200' post='941980' date='Sep 1 2010, 01:01 PM']Yep, and leave all you with your 2kg baby amps that you can carry in your man handbag on the way to your next open mic session at the Flying Horse![/quote]

Yes - please do!

Do shut it on the way out, wont you dear...

Talking of which, I have an outdoor date this weekend and have been told/asked not to bring my rig for the sake of turn-round and soundcheck, so I can guess where this will all go.
I asked for a spec of the gear I will be using and have so far got a curt "top end"...
I have to rush to another date so it rather suits me to setup there and use this 'top-end' house rig on the stage so saving ME time and carry but I will be ripping into them if this "top end" house rig is not all that.

That means no Hartke, TE, Ashdown, PV and a whole host of other stuff. Sorry guys..!! :)

I'll probably be back to state how it went sound-wise. I may even be pleasantly surprised with some models I haven't used for some time.
If we have a couple of k of foldback and the mixes, then I'll probably go with the monitor mix sound and will not be even have to bother if I get the Ampeg thing. :rolleyes:

IMV, my basses sound good, any amp that can do a decent flat signal with full range cabs shouldn't be too much hassle or a trial tho'...

Back to the fun..!!