Why become a member? ×

What do you love about your bass/sound?

OutToPlayJazz

I started a week of the musical "Chess" yesterday & although it's the hardest musical score I've tackled to date, I came out grinning from ear to ear last night. I'm using the Status S2 bolt-on 5-string with the phenowood board, an Ashdown Little Giant 1000 and one of my Genz cabs.

When we get to the point of "One night in Bangkok" and I really dig in hard, the bass gives out that snappy howl - Cue big beaming smile from bass player!

So what do you all love about your bass/your sound?

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

I think my biggest complaint about being a live performer is that never get to really hear what I sound like FOH. I stand out front when we're soundchecking via wireless, but that's not the same as when you're really digging in and the place is full of punters. If the crowd are hearing what I hear (unlikely) then my fave tones are when I play my 63 P bass with the tone wide open on Town Called Malice, with it all the way off on Three Little Birds and finally with the tone half way on Tommy Castro's Nasty Habits (a really nice groove). Maybe someday we'll do a live recording and I'll get to hear it.

What I strive for, and sometimes get, is a sound that is ultimately integrated into the ensemble and works with the other instruments present to create an overall feel that is musical. I like to hear a note; no strings, no amp, no electronics, no metal (that's why I don't like fretted basses), no 'techniques', just a pure note. I like it when I can't actually hear the instrument at all, just the note. I guess that's why I am not overly inclined towards GAS; I am trying to eliminate the gear from the process of sound generation, not highlight it!!

Having taken up the double bass recently, I am interested in the ease with which its tone integrates into the ensemble - I guess its the difference between an acoustic and and electrc instrument. My fear is, as I get into the pick-ups/amplification technology necessary for live playing, I am going to have to re-learn how to use the gear to get louder without introducing each of the components in the signal chain into the final sound. I guess its about getting as much of the instruments true voice into the amplified sound. In a studio or any setting with a PA, I will be able to use microphones to capture/amplify the sound but these settings are rare for jobing jazzers and pick-ups and amps are a fact of life. My research tells me this is gpoing to be a life-long quest but that's nothing new.

Its the notes that matter, the music, not the gear you make it with. When the note is right, I am smiling.

I'm loving the whole humbucker vibe on the OLP bass I have. It's tone tone has bite but is solid at the same time, and it's taken me some time to settle on a tone like this that I've enjoyed so much. The keyboardist in my band commented recently that he doesn't notice me anymore during gigs! What he was trying to say was, that my tone and playing is fitting in well to the whole band dynamic, and as such doesn't jump out - if that makes sense? That was a nice compliment for me, as I've been trying really hard of late to nail just simple, supportive playing instead of flashy, over technical playing - it must be working :)

I try to find a space in the music where what I'm playing can be heard without me having to be louder than anyone else. But that's mostly down to what I play and when rather than my gear/sound.

I do like to hear the character of my Warwick on the odd occasion that there's a bass part that sticks out a little. Either the burpy way it puts out quick passages, or the throaty purr you get on long notes.

I love the way my tone fits in the mix perfectly with my Squier Classic Vibe 60s Precision, which is strung with D'addario Chromes...All I need to do is plug it in, leave all the EQ flat and put the volume and tone on the bass on full. I can vary tone with my playing rather than relying on EQ changes or even having more than one pickup, and it sounds great in all kinds of styles and through all the amps I have, and even straight into the PA!

During a personal practice time, I warmed up on what used to be my main workhorse (the Geddy - which I'm now keeping), then moved onto what had been my main fretted for the last year (the W&T Klimt), then finished on the recently acquired fretless (W&T Zoid 'Hyperbass'). It was quite an experience to hear how my tonal preferences have shifted and progressed over the years. The Zoid has rapidly become my favoured instrument because of its sound (and also its playability). I love how organic, woody and articulate it sounds, almost like a crisp and full acoustic guitar sound, yet it always sits well in a mix and doesn't sound hollow. It can go from a defined 'fretted' sound with a fat fundamental and fast attack with little to no mwah, to a more mellow note swell with an almost upright-ish characteristic.

Both are Sei J5's..
My Jazz with Maple neck really supports the band.... they float on a big fat underpinning sound.
The slap sound bites through with great character but this is mainly a groovy bass.

My RW jazz has a much snappier sound and it will also do the support of the band but excels as a solo sound as well.

Both have character but both also do the job that bass is supposed to do..

Loving them..and because they sound so good, IMHO, sound checking is easy and quick if I want it to be.
Sometimes I just go with a quick volume setting and think that set-up sound will do with no twiddling at all. The sound isn't ever going to be bad..just varying degrees of good and down to what I feel like going for on the day...

This makes is hassle free and fun.. as I say..loving it.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='803482' date='Apr 12 2010, 10:29 AM']I started a week of the musical "Chess" yesterday & although it's the hardest musical score I've tackled to date, I came out grinning from ear to ear last night. I'm using the Status S2 bolt-on 5-string with the phenowood board, an Ashdown Little Giant 1000 and one of my Genz cabs.

When we get to the point of "One night in Bangkok" and I really dig in hard, the bass gives out that snappy howl - Cue big beaming smile from bass player!

So what do you all love about your bass/your sound?[/quote]

MB1. :)
...Its All Paid For! :rolleyes:

Think my next Acquisitons an Ashdown LG 1000 (The Bloody Superflys doing the Dyingfly!)...Totally Jeff Goldblum! :lol:

My bass is way too good for my level of playing - but why should that stop anyone getting something that they want and they can afford.

I have a Reggie Hamilton custom shop V jazz bass and it is brilliant. It's pretty light on weight (don't like heavy), plays like a dream, has both jazz and Precision pups for very different sounds (or a blend of the two) and can have the zing of active or the smoothness of passive at the touch of a button.

Infact there's only one thing about it that I don't really like - it looks too shiny and new. I got it secondhand and it's too bad that it hadn't been around the block a few more times! (I'm not intending on dragging it behind the car anytime soon ...)

I can't think of a single thing about my Dean Edge pro 5 that I don't like. Actually, no, tell a lie, I don't like the brass nut which if you're moving too quick to the 1st fret can nearly take your knuckle off :)

On a serious note I love my Dean. The sound is great with a deep but smooth low end, but the highs are still crisp and bright. String changing is a doddle with the monolithic bridge. It's got a wide neck which suits my big manly hands :rolleyes: Looks wise it's utterly beautiful and even the gold hardware just looks perfect to me (I usually hate gold!)

I fell in love with it when I first saw it, then I played it before buying and have never looked back :lol:

The way it sounds a million dollars through my rig with new strings :)

The way the cab can project the nature of the bass, the harmonic content of the new strings (without sounding harsh at all), the massive amounts of available punch. The way the amp has enough grunt to knock my block off (through that cab), and so never has to work hard on the gig.

Brilliant!

The best feeling I get is when we're building up a section, and my overdrive is responding nicely to my dynamics, so it starts off nice and clean until I dig in and it gets really dirty, and my bass literally sounds angry (I wonder if that's also to do with playing harder giving more of an initial sharpness to the notes).

[quote name='Bilbo' post='803498' date='Apr 12 2010, 10:50 AM']......
Its the notes that matter, the music, not the gear you make it with. When the note is right, I am smiling.[/quote]

It sounds to me like you may be ingoring the potential you have to make a contribution to the overall sound. To me, the note I play is very important, and I need to hear it, LOUD. But, that's pretty damn easy, and (depending on your group/emsemble) there is lots more space in the frequency spectrum to fill. Why ignore all that? I know it's just a preference, but have you ever been tempted to try and create a more "full range" or dare I say it [i]interesting [/i]tone?

[quote name='Golchen' post='803795' date='Apr 12 2010, 02:48 PM']My bass is way too good for my level of playing - but why should that stop anyone getting something that they want and they can afford.

I have a Reggie Hamilton custom shop V jazz bass and it is brilliant. It's pretty light on weight (don't like heavy), plays like a dream, has both jazz and Precision pups for very different sounds (or a blend of the two) and can have the zing of active or the smoothness of passive at the touch of a button.

Infact there's only one thing about it that I don't really like - it looks too shiny and new. I got it secondhand and it's too bad that it hadn't been around the block a few more times! (I'm not intending on dragging it behind the car anytime soon ...)[/quote]

The custom shop RGV is the nicest 5 string I've played, good score there. I'd never say an instrument is too good for someone, it's a tool to be used by whoever, you wouldn't say an expensive hammer is too good for you if you're just a weekend DIYer. Enjoy that bass, the worn mojo will come with time.

I had the same rig for years - Ashdown Superfly 500 and Mini 48 and 15 cabs, Tobias Classic 5. I bought my Roscoe SKB5 and the difference was enough for the band to compliment me...something I never usually get! It's warmer, fuller, and cuts through easily. I changed to a Markbass LMK head and again the difference was obvious - masses of headroom, punch and clarity. I've now changed to a couple of MB New York 604s and I have the sound that's been in my head for many years. And I can carry the whole rig into a venue all at once.

I know everyone loves Markbass, so it needs no introduction. But I urge you to try a Roscoe bass. They are extraordinary.

I personally don't have a "sound", wouldn't want one either. My "sound" is whatever I think is right for my bands' music, and that changes regularly, and in two bands each song has different sounds.

My main bass is as versatile as it needs to be to make quick onstage adjustments and weighs 9lbs.

My rig weighs about 6lbs and I can get pretty much any sound I imagine through it. I would hate to have a trad rig - amp, cab, some effects and a couple of basses.

Really you're enjoying yours and your new gig though, OTPJ :)

I love the sound of my Shuker,because it's very hi-fi sounding with a lot of flexability,
whereas my Roscoe has a smoother sound and is less aggressive while still being very
clear and 'modern'. My Jazz Basses sound like Jazzes-which is good.
The Bergantino HS410 is the only cab I've heard that I just had to have,and the Genz Benz
Neo-Pak was just the perfect match for the Roscoe and Bergantino.
I'm really happy with my sound at the moment-It's clear and punchy over the whole range of the
instrument,with a very slight mid boost to cut through a band. I always mic it up too.

Having said that,lately I've been doing quite alot of recording by DI'ing my Flatwound strung
Precision.