Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

We had a week night gig last night. It was an outside small club party thing. Week night shows have never been great for us, so we went into with the old "paid rehearsal" outlook. The crowd was small but responsive.

The best part of the evening was the guys kept the stage volume low, I could hear everything in the monitors crystal clear.It really helped my backing vocals.

blue

Not really a gig , but our 'music room' refurbish (it took all winter and spring...) is just about finished, just in time for us to rehearse in preparation for our first (and maybe only...) outing this year. It's a small local festival, run by a couple of mates; we've played there a couple of times in past years and have been invited back again. We've not practised for over a year together, and to our surprise, the magic seems to still be there..! Pop/rock (Radiohead, Bashung, Midnight Oil, AC/DC, dEUS, RATM and more...), we went through a couple of hours of numbers with little effort. Not as rusty as all that, it would seem..!
I'll maybe get some pics together at next rehearsal and/or the gig, end of August. Chuffed..? You bet I am..! :D

Thoroughly enjoyable evening playing the Riverside Club in Staines on one of their 'Down by the River' (aka Bluegrass Staines) evenings. Was great to see BC'er Lozz196 who came along to see us and also very kindly provided me with a box to send an amp in. Top man!

Just back from another wedding gig. First set inevitably a victim of the weather, with a brand new upper balcony on the clubhouse at a revamped golf club overlooking the 18th green i would have sat outside chatting rather than be inside dancing in that temperature too. Hence we played to about 4 people for set 1. As it cooled and those with small kids went home after 10pm we were left with the hardcore partygoers for second set who filled the dancefloor until we quit, exhausted, at midnight (they had a curfew at that point anyway). Another gig Sat night at a notoriously sweaty pub we play each month. Better take a towel...
The buffet was rather lacklustre btw, give it 4/10.

Another trip to The Hop Pole in Bromsgrove. It was a very warm evening and inside of the pub was quiet, but with a busy beer garden. Despite the sparse crowd, the atmosphere built up during the two sets, with a full dance floor towards the end, and plenty of praise, with a generous amount in the 'whip round bucket' too.

Our first public performance of new cover 'Police and Thieves' went down a storm - definitely one to keep in the set.

Another added bonus was when a venue owner approached us afterwards wanting us to play at his place in Redditch

All in all, a worthwhile trip :-)

Edited by Roland Rock

Stood in with a local pop/rock/indie covers outfit last night. Their new bass player is not yet up to speed, but I already knew half the material. I had a couple of weeks' notice and 2 run-throughs with them beforehand, and I was very happy with the way it went. More importantly, so were they! Bloomin' hot indoors, but the venue had thoughtfully provided 2 mahoosive fans for the stage, which helped enormously.

P-bass through Streamliner and full BF rig sounded excellent. Unfortunately the heat kept a lot of people outside in the 'beer garden'.

Just got back from a completely different sort of a gig (so strictly 'tonight' rather than 'last night'). This was a sight-reading job in an 8-piece band playing soul and 50s/60s covers at a golf club bun-fight. I had a run through the pad with them on Thursday, and was pleased to find that the arranger (the guitarist in the band) had pitched the bass parts at exactly my level of sight-reading ability.

This time I had the Sandberg through the SVT-3Pro and Compact. This was a bit of an experiment, as I had never gigged this combination before, only tried it at home, where it sounded a bit 'vanilla'. In a band context, it sounded lush - lovely chewy mids, at a level where every note was loud and clear, and the bass sat beautifully in the mix.

The band were well chuffed, first that I was available for the gig at all, and second that I made a reasonable job of it. I have a feeling I may get called again ;)

Just got in from a regular pub gig and it was a great one ,we had them bouncing even in the first set , blooded 3 new songs and it was the first work out for my new (used) TC Electronics rig , I was very pleased with what it sounded like and the way it worked for the gig ,, we are back there for a christmas party , so that should be fun , a good night all in , even if it was a touch warm tonight :rolleyes:

Another wedding gig at the same place as last week, the Coo Cathedral. Smaller crowd and pretty much disinterested till the last half hour The usual requests to keep playing! Another hog roast at half time, seems to be the in thing up here now and a free bar for the band which the singer took full advantage of! Might at least got us some drinks whilst he was up. We have seen him vault the bar and help himself to drinks whilst still singing the jammie sod. A lot of English people up for the wedding and they just wanted to hear Scottish Country dance music, so we obliged and got the ipod out, that took care of a hour! Finally managed to get a good sound out the BBE preamp after some advice from BC member Ghost Bass. A reasonable gig and well paid.

Played a 45 minute set at the Swadlincote Sausage and Cider Festival. Perfect time of the evening 6:45 to 7:30 just as the sun was full on the stage, bright sunshine, loads of people who seemed to have consumed a 'fair quantity' of cider and a big heaping of Ska served up by us. There were quite a group dancing at the front and as far as we could see small pockets of people dancing all across the field. Uttered the first two words of the intro to One Step Beyond as our last track and the place went wild (just like last week) left us ending on a massive buzz.

Absolutely loved it.

There were a number of problems with the organisation of the event (first of it's kind) along the lines of the bar and food queues being massive, running out of vegetarian food by the middle of the first afternoon, and other organisational difficulties which I have to say may be well founded. However with the weather as it was they should have expected the turn out they had, it was rammed. They are learning though and have already announced some changes for the second day. I hope they do it again next year as we have been told we would be up for a later spot if they do.

We played our first gig as such, it's usually attending/running open mic nights, so this was a nice difference. Nothing huge was our drummers brothers engagement party.

It started off a little slow but after the first few songs people were up and dancing and singing, we ended up doing a few songs at the end where I made bass lines up as we went along, worked nicely. They even had neighbours they had never met before coming round, because they heard the band and liked it, so came round for a dance.

All in all was really good fun!

Edited by Adebass

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1405942255' post='2506693']
Ha! Yep, this...Friday was sausage and chips with overdone pizza slices, Saturday a very small pork-pie-and-sausage-roll affair. Both well below par - a prawn vol-au-vent would have been welcomed.
[/quote]

wow - sounds like we are well and truly spoiled at our gigs

gives me an idea to start up another thread :ph34r:

Headlined the Ash Music Festival nr Aldershot yesterday, 6-7 slot. Had a ball, turned up with a picnic and a few beers early and watched a few of the other bands who were all good. Usual assortment of dancers and nutters having fun with us. A great day!! Our very own Seashell turned up with a friend, good to see her!!

http://youtu.be/VoDXb4yJJ6I

Edited by barneyg42

Hot wedding nr Andover. Hard floors, glass walls and high ceiling made it tricky. What made it worse is that our drummer is a bell end and, despite being asked repeatedly, wouldn't play quieter than "stadium volume". He's gonna be a goner at the rate he's going. He's good and he knows it but he has the brain capacity of a five year old child.

Great up for it crowd at a very good Beer Festival. We put a LOT into it but not sure what returns we got out of it.
I've heard the tapes from the desk and there is a LOT of ambient noise in it as well as we mixed the tape sources...
the place was manic and that came across but not sure we will get decent enough seperation to be of any use.

The reviews and feedback seem pretty good so sometimes you just have to settle for that...
Apart from a few tempo's being a bit racy..I am not sure any technical issues could be put all at our door
anyway...
Stage sound was pokey and dynamic and we played very well..so came off pretty pleased at that point.

VERY hot. Did a Help for Heroes/Cancer Research fundraiser over in Southport. No soundcheck/on stage monitoring or any such luxuries. Just turned up and rocked out. We had a blast and those left standing at the end of the set (it had been going since 2pm, and we started at 10pm) did too. We didn't sound our best, but we gave it everything (as always) and went for drinks with the organisers afterwards - 4 cokes as we were all driving :(

One of our regular pub gigs in what is usually a challengingly warm room at the best of times. Well well they'd finally cranked the air con up a bit so it was tolerable and resulted in a pretty busy dancefloor, even had one guy doing a bit of air bass in front of me at one point. We tried out a new number (completely unrehearsed as a band) and it went reasonably OK, needs a bit of tweaking here and there but the basics are there.

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1406462549' post='2511613']
Headlined the Ash Music Festival nr Aldershot yesterday, 6-7 slot. Had a ball, turned up with a picnic and a few beers early and watched a few of the other bands who were all good. Usual assortment of dancers and nutters having fun with us. A great day!! Our very own Seashell turned up with a friend, good to see her!!

http://youtu.be/VoDXb4yJJ6I
[/quote]

It was a lovely day. All the bands were really enjoyable. Especially Colin's band of course. It was good to see a female fronted band for a change. Stacey is awesome! :-)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1406485276' post='2511855']

It was a lovely day. All the bands were really enjoyable. Especially Colin's band of course. It was good to see a female fronted band for a change. Stacey is awesome! :-)
[/quote]

Thanks Shell, yeah she's a bit good!! Does the blokey songs well too!

Saturday was another wedding - lovely venue, lovely couple, fish and chips, ice-cream van and free bar when we arrived.

We played well, to a good response and had a small number of committed dancers from the start and through most of the gig, however most people were sat outside the marquee - given the heat and humidity, I don't blame them, I'd probably do the same.

I'm over summer now, please come back winter, all is forgiven; gigs in this humidity are just exhausting.