Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Shopping trolley? luxury mate. Did a wedding [url="http://www.lustyglaze.co.uk/"]here[/url] last year. Only way from car park at top of cliff to venue on beach is via one hundred and thirty odd steps (quite deep, narrow concrete steps) and every bit of kit has to come down it and back up it at the end. Did about 5 or 6 trips to get the gear down and another 3 or 4 (wedding guests helping) to get it all back to the van at the end. Never, ever again.

Got back an hour ago from the perfect gig bearing in mind I live in Central France.

Arrived at 4.00pm PA supplied and already on stage
Booked to play at 5.00pm Played at exactly 5.00pm
Played for 58 mins Went down very well.
Handed over invoice, each got paid an obscene amount for 58 mins of easy numbers
Got fed and watered
Home before 8.00pm

Reeee-sult.

From Saturday.

This was the first gig for the covers band I'm in now. We did a support slot in a small pub for a band that will be on Jools Holland next year and, having had to turn down Glastonbury this year will be playing there next. I was chuffed when I found out we'd be doing this gig, the guys in the main band were in the bands I used to go and see locally all the time, great bunch of guys.

Anyway, our set, 45mins, went down really well. No major balls ups, a few fluffs but nothing to hang yourself over. We had some very positive comments, got paid and the landlord will book us again...result!!

I borrowed the other bass player's rig. My initial apprehension was totally misplaced. He uses a Behringer Ultrabass 450w through the most road worn, scuffed and scared 1x12 (of unknown make) I've seen. I thought it would sound awful and be struggling to make it heard. How wrong was I!! It sounded really tight and my word was it loud enough. The other bass player plays a Squier Affinity P bass...probably the least expensive set up I've seen :)

The main band really rocked, the crowd loved it.

Excellent night all round...especially as the Mrs and I won the charity fundraising raffle, a meal for two in the place, it does really good Thai food.

A few more photos from Beerache...

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/10511462_10152519174595782_5717650622527934018_o_zpsb603ffc7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/10550192_10152519193410782_7362452779216627064_o_zps82a352a1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/10548186_10152519175400782_8880894490978442636_o_zpsea6555e8.jpg[/IMG]

Did a gig in TIntern, right on the Anglo-Welsh border on Saturday
It was part of their annual "Folk On The Lawn" festival

It was a great event - small-ish, really fun, friendly fest
and the sun was shining (we played quarter past mid-day)

I'd never played with this bunch before, having only agreed to join on the Sunday before!
Only one full rehearsal :o
But you know what - sure it could have been a bit more polished,
but it went really quite well :)

We've been asked to play a few more gigs since then
and we're playing Rumney Folk Club in Cardiff this Friday
.... following just one more rehearsal

This is almost the exact opposite of what I usually do
I don't read music, so I play by ear, and have to rehearse....
Sometimes, by the time a band is sounding really tight - someone leaves!

Anyhow, it was pretty damn good, I think
and I hope to do a few more with these guys
some of them are pro musicians, and they're really relaxed about the whole thing :)
[attachment=166804:DSC_6786.jpg]

...apologies for the loud shirt - just thought it might distract the crowd from my under-rehearsed playing ;)

EDIT: PS, I love playing outdoors on a nice day

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Chris Sharman' timestamp='1405170877' post='2499377']
As to last nights gig we opened the Progadelic festival at the Haberdashers Arms in Adbaston, Staffordshire.
[/quote]

And here's some proof with our own Sharmanator giving it the Bernard Edwards treatment....

[URL=http://s30.photobucket.com/user/KevB64/media/035_zps035f89ea.jpg.html][IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c307/KevB64/035_zps035f89ea.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1405457230' post='2502152']

Just for you

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Nr0_s0C8cmE/U8LxzsMGtYI/AAAAAAAAC80/ngQAclUGO-k/w1358-h759-no/IMAG0034.jpg
[/quote]

Hat, sunglasses, waiscoat, beer holder and above all ..white Fender P. Couldn't possibly get any cooler! :D

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][size=1]We played a cracking gig at the Jam house in Birmingham last night with my band. Loads of Jazz funk from guys like Stanley Clarke, Victor Bailey, Marcus Miller, Jeff Lorber, Grover Washington Jr. I hope we get a call for another there. [/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1405436099' post='2501887']

We've been asked to play a few more gigs since then
and we're playing Rumney Folk Club in Cardiff this Friday
.... following just one more rehearsal

[/quote]

I'll have to tell my friend :D. She always goes to the Rumney Folk Club, I bet she will be there on Friday :D

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1405458202' post='2502162']
Nice of Rick Neilson to turn up and have a jam with you B)
[/quote]
[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1405464860' post='2502241']
Hat, sunglasses, waiscoat, beer holder and above all ..white Fender P. Couldn't possibly get any cooler! :D
[/quote]

hehe yeah I thought I was the only one dressing up!

You're too kind dear girl B)

[attachment=166853:IMG_4695.jpg]Did a cracking gig at the Jam House in brum last night with my NotStrictlyJazz Quartet. We did covers of jazz-funk tracks by Stanley Clarke, Victor Bailey, Marcus Miller, Jeff Lorber Fusion, Grover Washington Jr etc. and it went down a storm.

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1405501369' post='2502373']
[attachment=166853:IMG_4695.jpg]Did a cracking gig at the Jam House in brum last night with my NotStrictlyJazz Quartet. We did covers of jazz-funk tracks by Stanley Clarke, Victor Bailey, Marcus Miller, Jeff Lorber Fusion, Grover Washington Jr etc. and it went down a storm.
[/quote]

Let us know when you play there again and I'll come and see you :)

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1405487508' post='2502282']
I'll have to tell my friend :D. She always goes to the Rumney Folk Club, I bet she will be there on Friday :D
[/quote]

Tell her to come along & say hi

..... better still, you come along with her too :)

I'll be using that nice PJ head and one of the cabs I bought from your good self Debs :)

First night of our mini tour supporting German rockabilly band Boppin' B.

The venue, Rigger in Newcastle-Under-Lyme is great. Boppin' B are really nice people. It's a pity then that almost no-one showed up and our set was marred by technical problems.

Firstly during the soundcheck, our guitarist discovered a kink in the E string of his newly installed strings that coincided with one of the notes he used a lot a made it sound dead on just that note. Cue a lot of string swapping to sort it out.

Cut our set short so that we can start later and hopefully play to more than a handful of people. During the second song the bass cuts out completely. Go through my usual troubleshooting routine. Stop using the wireless and switch to my backup lead. Wait for a suitable moment in the song to come back in and… still nothing. Note that now the Pod is getting signal but still nothing coming out of the speakers. Then spot that the power light on the Thumpinator has gone out. As far as I can tell it's still connected so I simply bypass everything except the amp and i have sound again. It's not exactly the sound I want, but it will do. Unfortunately it takes almost 5 minutes to reach this state which has killed the momentum of the set and the vibe. Get through to the end although the songs where I use drive sound weird without it.

However not all is lost apparently despite almost no-one being in the venue, they were most impressed by the band and want to offer us a Friday or Saturday slot later in the year.

This morning I check over the rack and discover that the wall-wart PSU that powers my wireless receiver and the Thumpinator had become unplugged just enough to stop delivering power to both units killing both the start and end of my rack's signal chain. All fixed now and looking forward to doing it all again tonight in Croydon - hopefully to a few more people.

Edited by BigRedX

Did my first ever gig as part of a three piece last night - myself & another guy on acoustic guitars & vocals and a female singer, doing all original stuff, apart from finishing with a Ramones song in honour of the recently departed Tommy.

We were asked to play at a food bank benefit gig run by a bunch of old Cardiff punks at the Moon Club. First time I've ever played guitar & sang live so I was a bit out of my comfort zone but it went incredibly well; we got a fantastic response & I loved every second of it.

Definitely want to do more of this sort of thing, so much easier than pissing about with drums & amps.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1405674130' post='2504162']
First night of our mini tour supporting German rockabilly band Boppin' B.

The venue, Rigger in Newcastle-Under-Lyme is great. Boppin' B are really nice people. It's a pity then that almost no-one showed up and our set was marred by technical problems.

Firstly during the soundcheck, our guitarist discovered a kink in the E string of his newly installed strings that coincided with one of the notes he used a lot a made it sound dead on just that note. Cue a lot of string swapping to sort it out.

Cut our set short so that we can start later and hopefully play to more than a handful of people. During the second song the bass cuts out completely. Go through my usual troubleshooting routine. Stop using the wireless and switch to my backup lead. Wait for a suitable moment in the song to come back in and… still nothing. Note that now the Pod is getting signal but still nothing coming out of the speakers. Then spot that the power light on the Thumpinator has gone out. As far as I can tell it's still connected so I simply bypass everything except the amp and i have sound again. It's not exactly the sound I want, but it will do. Unfortunately it takes almost 5 minutes to reach this state which has killed the momentum of the set and the vibe. Get through to the end although the songs where I use drive sound weird without it.

However not all is lost apparently despite almost no-one being in the venue, they were most impressed by the band and want to offer us a Friday or Saturday slot later in the year.

This morning I check over the rack and discover that the wall-wart PSU that powers my wireless receiver and the Thumpinator had become unplugged just enough to stop delivering power to both units killing both the start and end of my rack's signal chain. All fixed now and looking forward to doing it all again tonight in Croydon - hopefully to a few more people.
[/quote]

In Croydon! Which venue? Must be near my house....

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1405522236' post='2502686']

Tell her to come along & say hi

..... better still, you come along with her too :)

I'll be using that nice PJ head and one of the cabs I bought from your good self Debs :)
[/quote]

Sorry I couldn't come along tonight Marc.

Time escaped me today!

I had to do the opener for our weekly jamsession on thursday night, so I asked 2 great musicians to join in and didn't know if they'd attend until the beginning of the "show" - but they did. here are 3 tunes of what happened completely unrehearsed - so far from from perfect.
but enjoy anyway!

[media]http://youtu.be/kqXmJAsw5x0[/media]

Edited by krysh

[quote name='Johnm93' timestamp='1405707714' post='2504623']
In Croydon! Which venue? Must be near my house....
[/quote]

A place called the Scream Lounge. Another nice little venue with a great sounding PA and decent band facilities.

Performance-wise it went a lot better than the pervious night. However our total audience including the promoter, PA engineer, bar staff and Boppin' B was less than 20...

Still Sunday's gig at Camden Underworld is reportedly sold out.

Edited by BigRedX

Last night's gig was in Abingdon in sweltering heat. I expected th audience to stay outside by the river, but a surprising number were inside dancing energetically.

Standlake tonight, outdoors...and just heard the first rumble of thunder.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1405777927' post='2505176']
A place called the Scream Lounge. Another nice little venue with a great sounding PA and decent band facilities.

Performance-wise it went a lot better than the pervious night. However our total audience including the promoter, PA engineer, bar staff and Boppin' B was less than 20...

Still Sunday's gig at Camden Underworld is reportedly sold out.
[/quote]

Well, that must have improved, then.
I went there three times and the sound was really awful. All volume and no balance.
This could be a reason for the low turnout.
From what you are saying they seem to have a better sound man now. I shall check it out once more...

fantastic :D

we did the opening hour slot just after midday for a private all day mini festival for the kids and families at [b][url="http://demelza.org.uk/index.php?page=demelza-kent"]Demelza House[/url][/b]

Edited by steve-bbb