Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

You'll always get pr*cks like that Dave. If the groom wasn't happy, think of how many people enjoyed themselves, which means potential bookings in future! As long as your agent sees your side of the story, you'll be fine for gigs in future.

Rise above it mate, I'm sure you were great!

Danny

[quote name='acidbass' post='584264' date='Aug 29 2009, 02:41 AM']You'll always get pr*cks like that Dave. If the groom wasn't happy, think of how many people enjoyed themselves, which means potential bookings in future! As long as your agent sees your side of the story, you'll be fine for gigs in future.

Rise above it mate, I'm sure you were great!

Danny[/quote]

Cheers.
Yeah, we were good that night and this bloke is just being an arse.

The agent says it wont effect us getting bookings but its still left a bad taste.

Just hope he isnt gong to try and get some sort of refund. To be honest we will be willing to let it go to court over this as we know he is just mouthing off and doesnt have a leg to stand on.

Poor frankly. I played badly and just couldn't hold my concentration, maybe I'm just tired of the same old songs. No one in the band excelled really, singer kept missing cues and leaving out verses, drummer way too fast and loud, lead player playing motifs sharp or flat and keyboard player annoying everyone with pointless noodling. The one new song I was looking forwrd to doing, Pick Up The Pieces, we passed over as punters were dancing. Well at least they seemed to enjoy it.

My first festival slot yesterday, and I thought we were pretty good. All the band members came off stage with an air of "that was one of our best gigs ever" and the audience response throughout was definitely positive.

There's still room for improvement though. The set list needs tightening up to excise the weaker items, and we need to work on speeding up changes between songs. The frontman switches instruments relatively frequently, which is damn awkward - if it was anyone else in the band, then the frontman could take the opportunity to do a bit of banter. I think we need to work on extended alternate intros/endings so that he can do his instrument switches in the meantime. The violinist also seems to have occasional tuning issues which seem to require a few minutes of twanging with the guitarist when they do arise.

I made a couple of minor mistakes, the only significant one was on one song that we didn't bother going over at our last rehearsal because "we all know that one." In retrospect I should have stuck my hand up at that point and insisted on doing it anyway.

Sound onstage was good, and by all accounts, the sound out front was good too. Backing vocals were reportedly a little quiet, but I can only assume that was a deliberate decision by the sound man, and I'm sure that he set them to the volume that was appropriate.

S.P.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58329&view=getnewpost"]LA Pebbles[/url] and not a bad set 25-30 minutes really.

Drummer's flight back from hols got in on time and we just went for it.

Few butterflies beforehand while setting up our stage while the band preceding us played - for crying out loud WHY!? How long have I been doing this!

And then it was over. Few moments (like switching the G&L to passive and not noticing for a song) but all in all a blast.

Now to get back to site to take the whole lot down and clean it up. This has been a long hard few days - and not in the little blue pill sense :)

EDIT - Now with a photo courtesy of Johnnylager

- Cheers John!

Edited by WalMan

Really bizarre. We played at a club that will now close for the winter. They had a guest musician for the break in between our two sets. He was a bassplayer who played along to two recorded club tracks. Both tracks were Em based and he spent 20 minutes peddling C and 5th, D and 5th and E and 5th. Weird. It can only happen in France.

We dropped the singer in it by doing 'Funkytown' at the end of the encore (he really can't sing it). He was thankfully helped out by the crowd who actually made quite a good job of it :)

Whole gig fretless again, no buzzes, some odd tonal effects :rolleyes:

Dorking, Surrey. Tiny pub but packed 10 deep. By set two, they were leaping around and singing. Good mixed aged crowd which seemed to like all our tunes (we do indie, post punk, new wave etc). Loud gig in a sleepy town. For those who've never been, Dorking's biggest claim to fame is having a giant silver cock. On a roundabout.

Played at thr JB Jazz and Blues Club near Oldham last night. Lovely venue, great atmosphere and a friendly, appreciative audience. Told to be there at 7 to set up cos there's 3 turns, our first slot was supposed to be at 9.00 - went on at 10. Second set was supposed to be 11.45 - went on at 1.30 am, 40 minutes and then an hour's drive home.

To cap it all, I had to get up early today - (wife's birthday) so I feel like sh1t but hey, that's rock and roll...I mean blues and jazz.

Played the Village Inn in East Kilbride last night and had the place rockin. The cut off time iis 12.30ish so, we are about to start the last song, pretty vacant for a bit of pogoing, and the singer says "Thanks very much. Youve been a great audience. This is the last number tonight from Fused....

No sooner had the words left his lips when everthing went dark. No power. Agghhh!

Shouts of "what the fluck". Turned out that there was a power cut. The crowd then broke into Flower of Scotland caused by some miracle, Scotland wining at the football. Some drunk tw*t even grabbed the singer`s mic and tried to sing into it and got a bit peaved when he was told to leg it.

The next 15 mins were a case of people fallin into people, us trying to break down the gear with the aid of a mini maglite, people touching things they shouldn`t (ooeerrr missus).

All in all a good gig!

Jez :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='591396' date='Sep 6 2009, 01:49 PM']Friday was awesome (but I was offline) so couldn't post. Played the double bass. Great.

Saturday was really good. Busking in the day, playing on a truck in the evening. Don't get much better![/quote]
Whereabouts were you busking, and what was your setup? :)

Asked to play to 11.00pm at a wedding as that was when the taxi was arriving for the bride and groom.

Peaked @ 10.48pm with a manic 'All Right Now'. Then decided to break with tradition and encore with a slow one.

Just hit the instrumental outro of 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale' as the taxi hove into view thru the open doors at the bottom of the hall, with bride, groom and all assembled slow-dancing to their heart's content.

Job done! :)

Played at the Racehorse in Northampton on friday.

We were meant to be on as main support, so the first band has finished playing and is taking thier kit off stage and im thinking i'll go an warm up a bit. The soundguy comes up to us and says that we need to be on now instead of the next band and mumbles some excuse. So its kinda rushed, but we think nothing of it and get on and play. There arent many people in the room, but the atmospheres all good so that not bad.

After playing and tearing down we see the next band get up and the room suddenly fills up. Turns out the band is the soundguys own band and they wanted to be main support. To make it even more annoying when we were playing all those people were stood around drinking outside and only came in when the soundguy asked them too. Arseholes.

Just got back from the gig tonight.

Was a good one played with Kunt and the Gang, Tyrannasourus Alan and 7DC.

I have been in Cornwall for the last 2 days so had to take a 10 hour train journey to get there, it was in the upstairs of a pub in Sittingbourne (posh huh?!?!) my amp won't be back till Tuesday so I borrowed my old Ampeg B2R with my Jazz the sound was awesome but bloody loud, we hit 120DBs at one point.

The set went really well apart from my straplock giving way half way through a song but I don't think anyone cared, T Alan and Kunt played very different set but both very, very good.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='570370' date='Aug 16 2009, 01:32 AM']only complaint i have is i have realised why i got rid of my first Jazz. with my style of playing i knock the neck volume button down with my fingers because i play with a pick. i will have to sort that out .[/quote]

Ah yes, I do that on Jazzes and other basses where the vol is too close to the strings.
I found that putting a washer of felt under the knob stops it turning so easily. Cut it small enough and it won't show.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='584025' date='Aug 28 2009, 09:02 PM']We just had a report back from a groom we did a gig for end of July. I posted a bit about it.
Basically we had to learn some songs for him, we played two first dances (one for him, one for his parents who had just renwed thier vowls), he told us what to wear and wiped his hand of providing a changing room, food etc even though it wa on the contract.
We had a good report back from the father in law and everyone (other than the couple) said how much they enjoyed the evening.
The meal and speaches over ran by almost two hours which meant we were hanging around for about 3 hours.

Well anyway, he is now complaining like mad about us to the agent. He is blaming us for causeing the delay by taking so long to set up, says he asked us to turndown three times (never happend and the venue were fine with our volume) and a few other things that he basicaly making up for some reason.
when we explaind via the agent that it wasnt us that caused the delay he's hit the roof. Calling us blatent liars and saying will are saying all this crap to get out of honouring the contract. In fact he goes on to spew out so many lies that even the agent is fed up with him. They are on our side but none of us can beleive whats going on. He even said we should have spoke up about the dealy at the time.
This is a guy who forgot to mention his mum and dad in his speech, walked off without paying us and was acting like a prat from the moment he tried to book us. He broke every condition on the contract but was very specific with his demands.

I cant explain how angry we all are over this.[/quote]

Karma will get him back, Dave.