Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Basschatters playing with 4 of the 5 bands at Broadbridge Heath Beer Festival yesterday, near Horsham, Sussex.

[i]Flying Visit[/i] with Craigonbass / Fender Jazz

[i]Whatever[/i] with Sixshooter / recently rebuilt blue '55-alike Fender Precision

[i]Six Miles Away[/i] with Maxcat / Bongo 4 / Stagg EUB

[i]Amity[/i] with obbm / MM StRay 5

everybody played though sixshooters' vintage Trace rig.

Fortunately the weather was kind and a good crowd turned up to help raise money for Shelley Primary School.

There's a similar event next Saturday at the famous Loxwood Beer Festival with sixshooter and myself playing with our respective bands. We'll be joined by Stingrayfan and his band Wag The Dog. Starts around lunch time and goes on until 11.00pm. Please all pray for fine weather again.

The day turned out to be a good one!

Thank you to all the great Basschaters that played, it was good to see that the vintage Trace could still do the business, looking forward to next Sat at Loxwood.

[quote name='obbm' post='513145' date='Jun 14 2009, 09:21 AM']Basschatters playing with 4 of the 5 bands at Broadbridge Heath Beer Festival yesterday, near Horsham, Sussex.

[i]Flying Visit[/i] with Craigonbass / Fender Jazz

[i]Whatever[/i] with Sixshooter / recently rebuilt blue '55-alike Fender Precision

[i]Six Miles Away[/i] with Maxcat / Bongo 4 / Stagg EUB

[i]Amity[/i] with obbm / MM StRay 5

everybody played though sixshooters' vintage Trace rig.

Fortunately the weather was kind and a good crowd turned up to help raise money for Shelley Primary School.

There's a similar event next Saturday at the famous Loxwood Beer Festival with sixshooter and myself playing with our respective bands. We'll be joined by Stingrayfan and his band Wag The Dog. Starts around lunch time and goes on until 11.00pm. Please all pray for fine weather again.[/quote]

Last Friday, Tropic in Ruislip.

Build up to this gig was a little hairy, what with our drummer injuring his back. Fortunately, our previous drummer agreed to help at very short notice and spent the next couple of days listening to the set as it's almost two years since he played with us.

Come the gig itself, our temporary replacement played an absolute blinder, putting in one of his best ever performances with us. A great audience too, who seemed to enjoy every minute of it and were willing us on as they knew we were up against it a bit.

So, all in all a very fulfilling night at a good venue with a great organiser & a fantastic audience. It also marked the live debut of the very nice Precision I bought from fellow Bassschatter lushuk. It was exactly what I was looking for & I didn't use any other bass all night.

Edited by jonsmith

Once again mixed...

First gig with my new originals band. Disappointing lack of audience (forgotten how poorly originals gigs can be supported...), but those who were there were appreciative. Played well and my bass sounded great - especially the fretless. Definitely want to do more because the music is fantastic. The band need to learn some more about performance and set pacing but right now I'm just the FNG so that will have to wait for a while until I'm an accepted part of the band. However not a bad start.

Dreadful one. You remember that Alas Smith and Jones sketch where Smith played piano and Griff Rhys Joesn played bass? That was the standard. 25th wedding anniversary ina community centre. Bad sound, drummer that could play jazz - fine, but it was a pop gig. Couldn't hear myself for intonation purposes because the stage sound was created by Helen Keller with Evelyn Glennie out front. AND I played like a tit.

£100 for nothing - oh and, yes, as always, the punters loved it. :wacko:

A blinder of a gig (Friday night) at the Winchester Gate, Salisbury. Good crowd and a great reaction. It gave me the chance to try out Clarky's white Precision which had arrived the previous day. What an absolute stonker of a bass - a complete joy to play. The evening went a bit weird for the last half hour when a classic topless cider-fuelled drunk decided to join us on stage - he was basically harmless and genuinely enjoying himself but when he decided to join in on the vocals I had to step in and have a quiet but forthright word.

The venue's well worth a look into if your after a gig in the area. Robb, who puts the bands on and does the sound is a top bloke and, unusually for Salisbury, knows what he's doing.

A great afternoon at Bankstock on the fringes of Pudsey:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=51570"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=51570[/url]
with at least two BCers - self and Bassmonkey - playing. Any others?
Good music, beer, food and fundraising! :)
Then on to a wedding ceilidh which seemed to go well; beautiful old hall venue, nice folks. Someone had a moan right at the end after the caller did a dance that was maybe a bit tricky for people who had been drinking since the afternoon.. ho hum! Timing ran late - it's a wedding, relax! Anyway we got a bonus to stay on a bit longer. Good carbohydrate-rich supper for a boost. :rolleyes: :lol:

Had a 50th birthday party last night.
It looked like it would be a disaster as it was in a marquee and they had setup stage the we just couldn't get a drum kit set up on. Front to back was so narrow our drummer couldn't get his stool on. Even side on he couldn't fit his tom and hight hat. We ended up taking the stage apart. We had to stand in a line next to each other but it worked.
The owner of the house (not the birthday girl) told us (not asked) to turn down and to keep it down because of the neighbours. My SA450 was on the first notch that produces any sound, i didn't realise it could go that quiet and still she said it was too loud.
She said "how will people sitting near the dance floor be able to chat with all that nose going on". The mind boggles.
It was a very good, arty, crowd and they loved us. Highlight of the night would have been Paul (sex pistols) Cook getting up and doing Pretty vacant with us but he bottled out. Shame but our drummer was happy about that ;-).

Back to the social club next week so wont have anything to report for two weeks.

Its good to see a lot of us still have work considering the recession.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='502020' date='May 31 2009, 01:11 AM']Pic from tonight, what cab am I playing through? didn't see a model number but it was DEEP!!!![/quote]

Only just seen your post Wayne. It looks like a Trace 1524.

Gig tonight went well; played The Underbelly in Hoxton sq. Really nice venue, nice and cosy.
My first gig as lead singer and bassist (our singer quit 4 days earlier) I didn't (noticeably) forget any of the words and I managed to play and sing better than I had at practice. Everything was good and tight and we were playing to a few people.

The sound man destroyed us though. The bass and guitar were almost inaudible over the drums and the extremely loud vox didnt help my confidence much. Strangely enough he had the mix right for every band either side of us

Played Night and Day Cafe in Manchester last night, first gig with my new band, went well, not many in, Tuesday night at that place is known to be quiet, the crowd changes with the band, we didn't bring anyone down, except my mrs and my daughter, so not many left when we played, a few started drifitng in off the street though.
This was what we wanted, first gig for me, so more like a rehersal with PA.
Went well, we got a few things to work, guitarist had to kick my arse at the end, was grooving and missed the end, but they carried on until I came back down !!!!

Underground Live in Ashton on Saturday night, this is a busy night and we got Aziz Ibrahim (Ian brown / Stone Roses) playing on two songs

I am wrecked this morning!!

Cheers

Tony

[quote name='tjkennelly' post='520413' date='Jun 21 2009, 11:58 PM']Gig tonight went well; played The Underbelly in Hoxton sq. Really nice venue, nice and cosy.
My first gig as lead singer and bassist (our singer quit 4 days earlier) I didn't (noticeably) forget any of the words and I managed to play and sing better than I had at practice. Everything was good and tight and we were playing to a few people.

The sound man destroyed us though. The bass and guitar were almost inaudible over the drums and the extremely loud vox didnt help my confidence much. Strangely enough he had the mix right for every band either side of us[/quote]

I'm playing there tonight. Dodgy sound guy huh.

[quote name='jimijimmi' post='523808' date='Jun 25 2009, 04:00 PM']was VERY cool![/quote]

Bloody hell, ill say. Nice one.

I used to be (well, still am i guess) a big UFO fan, learnt the whole of Strangers in the night when i was at school. I must admit i dont take much notice of them these days but i still play their early albums.

Glad its going well. Did you get your Duck Dunn?

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='507815' date='Jun 7 2009, 10:33 PM']Played at a wedding yesterday; got paid well (good) but as it was outside in a marquee and it was chilly, hardly anyone bothered coming into to watch, dance or even heckle (bad)!

Shame really, as we had a great sound, played well and even managed to do a flawless version of 'Live and Let Die' for the first time ever..

We have done some good ones before, but most of the time I find wedding gigs (compared to most others we do) are really, really awful.. Is that true generally or is it just me??[/quote]

Marquee wedding gigs take a bit of pre-organising in my experience. We have one coming up and we've made it clear to the organiser that they have to make absolutely sure there's a quorum in the tent when we start. Slightly different for us in that we can't do our thing unless there's a good bunch of willing victims to dosey-doh and right hand turn.

We have a list of preconditions for marquee gigs though, after a few difficult situations down the years.. If they leak we don't play. We got rained on last summer - [b]inside[/b] the tent and had to dodge drips, protect our gear with umbrellas and stuff and then spend an early break gaffa taping the seams and creating rainwater run offs to avoid being electrocuted ..

The organisers never think of the problems of loading out in the dark on grass with rabbit holes and guy ropes and no lighting so we alwasy ask for parking right next to the stage area.
We also make sure they make sure the neighbours are cool with the noise..

Not ideal, for sure but if you talk to them beforehand about this kind of stuff they have the chance to book someoneelse if your band is not right for the situation...

Oh and make ure your Public Liability Insurance covers you for the type of flooring they have. Someone falls on an uneven bit of ground and breaks a leg you could be sued... Sad but true these days..

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='523826' date='Jun 25 2009, 04:19 PM']Oh and make ure your Public Liability Insurance covers you for the type of flooring they have. Someone falls on an uneven bit of ground and breaks a leg you could be sued... Sad but true these days..[/quote]

Surely that would be the responsibility of whoever provided the flooring, not the band?

[quote name='spike' post='523837' date='Jun 25 2009, 04:34 PM']Surely that would be the responsibility of whoever provided the flooring, not the band?[/quote]

Im not sure about that. I read that if someone trips over in front of the band (or near them) it can be the band that liable.
Never really looked in to it although i guess i should.

[quote name='spike' post='523846' date='Jun 25 2009, 04:44 PM']I can understand a band potentially being liable if someone trips over a speaker stand or a cable but not if they trip over on a floor that the band hasn't provided.[/quote]

I thought that would be the case as well.
I guess someone just needs to look it up. Like i said, i never have but have been led to believe the band can be liable for a lot of things (bad music being one of them ;-).

[quote name='spike' post='523837' date='Jun 25 2009, 04:34 PM']Surely that would be the responsibility of whoever provided the flooring, not the band?[/quote]

I suspect it would be your fault for making them dance :) and if they trip over and crash into your PA stands and drag a top cab down on top of themselves that's probably your fault too, even if they've drunk 20 pints of special brew ...

We use it as a get out of jail free card when people come up with the plainly stupid idea of holding a barn dance in a real working barn .. Doh!
But it's good for making sure they shell out for the proper flooring in a tent too. Bear in mind we are "causing" the guests to 'urtle across the floor at break neck speed (Sic) and therefore should have done all we can to make sure our "working area" is safe.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='523858' date='Jun 25 2009, 04:52 PM']Bear in mind we are "causing" the guests to 'urtle across the floor at break neck speed (Sic) and therefore should have done all we can to make sure our "working area" is safe.[/quote]

We make them leave the room so have to make sure the door is in a fit state ;-)

Actually, we did a gig last year where there was some broken glass on the dance floor and we were told by the management (of the venue) afterwards when we were packing up that if anyone did tread on it we would be liable, not the venue. Never followed that up and she was telling us as a warning, not having a go or anything.

And am i right in thinking that the contract between the band and venue/client has to be worded in such a way as to include everyone in on the public liability otherwise its just the person that signs the contract who is covered?

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='OldGit' post='523858' date='Jun 25 2009, 04:52 PM']I suspect it would be your fault for making them dance :) and if they trip over and crash into your PA stands and drag a top cab down on top of themselves that's probably your fault too, even if they've drunk 20 pints of special brew ...[/quote]

I wonder if they could sue the caterers if they fell over on the way to the bar for their 21st pint :rolleyes: ?