Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='hubrad' post='442515' date='Mar 23 2009, 03:06 PM']Well, Friday actually. A St.Pat's Celebration in a church hall.
One of the highlights was this, seen backstage..

[attachment=22571:keep_off_the_stage.jpg][/quote]

That's beautiful. Speaks volumes about organised religion in general, doesn't it?

S.P.

Had a great gig last night. It's funny how my desire to be in this band goes in a certain cycle. It peaks during (and in the few days after) a gig, and then gradually drops away again until about an hour before the next gig. So I guess we need to do more gigs.

Drummer hasn't been practising much lately, and it showed. He kept slowing down and pulling off really clumsy fills. I felt like I was really carrying the rhythm section last night.

The other guy playing bass last night had a really tasty fretless Sei Flamboyant Lightwave which he let me have a few moments with. I was most taken with the feel of the neck.

S.P.

Played a dep gig last night with a local classic rock band. The venue was pretty small (I'd say 150 max would be a comfortable number to have inside it), but there must have been 300 people there! We were playing in a corner with our backs pretty much against the wall, and there were people standing and dancing literally 2ft away from where I was playing. Caused a bit of hell with the mic stands from time to time but it was a unique experience!

Showed up without any practice and no setlist beforehand, but it went great! Standard pub fare really, I'm sure there's a band like this in every town in the country.

Went straight from my Bravewood Jazz into the desk and had an onstage monitor to hear myself - it sounded great. The guitarist was full of compliments for my tone too, I just solo'ed the neck pickup with the tone up full and I got a very meaty, Precision-like sound. The Wizards really do work their magic in a live situation!

Feeling pretty chuffed today, their bassist (whom I filled in for) has a lot of other commitments so I might score a few more gigs in the coming months! :)

Danny

Gig last night was awesome, played an acoustic Punk set with Alex from Wonk Unit, I didn't know how to play any of the songs until I got there so there was a bit of winging it but for a Monday night there was a big crowd and I really really enjoyed it.

Due to his voice we had to tune down to D G C F which was weird for me but was good, I went straight from work so I had no amp so DI'd which sounded pretty good, my missus brought me a change of clothes so at least I didn't have to wear a suit on stage :)

Here's some pics.

First gig in six months last night.

A school fund raiser bingo night.

Not an appreciative audience, but it was good to play again, rather than just rehearse.

We were pretty tight all things considered.

Aint it a joyous thing when the bass and drums just lock in :)

And we got fed and watered.

Two dep gigs with the acoustic Ceilidh band this week. It's the band that was on Gavin and Stacy so that's always good for a laff
Tuesday was a conference dinner for TEFL teachers on the upright ...

And Thursday was a conference dinner for 120 animal behaviorists, about 100 of whom seemed to be attractive young women aged about 22 ..
TSS* to the fore chaps ... Fab enthusiastic dancing though ..
I played the Valenti P bass rather than the upright for this one as my hands were still knackered from the upright gig on Tuesday ..

An odd coincidence. As I was parking near the gig the guy in front unloaded a bass case and Ashdown combo from his car. Turned out to be my first bass teacher in Cardiff who I thought was on perpetual world tour - he was playing pop covers downstairs in the same place. I think my gig was more fun :)

* Totty Sensitive Sunglasses - go totally dark when there are things you shouldn't stare at in the audience ...

first gig last night for the band at the white hart in haverhill, it was also the first real gig the drummer and i had ever done.

we couldn't turn up that loud, but the drummer is very loud...so i spent the night hearing a few bits of vocals and guitar and a LOT of snare drum ^_^ apparently it sounded balanced out front though so that's really all that matters.

luckily we're pretty well rehearsed though so didn't have any problems at all, the whole thing went down really well -- i can't really imagine how it could have gone better. everyone there seemed to agree, so i suppose that's good ^_^

i hadn't planned on it but i ended up letting the bassist of the other band use my amp -- he didn't ask to, but he'd showed up with a fairly little 30W amp, which probably would have worked at the volumes we were playing at, but i was just thinking "no, i can't have that....i'll feel bad having my massive rig (which was a bit overkill...but i didn't know what to bring! >.<) and letting him have to play though that little one." Besides, the other band was really nice, our guitarist let them use his amp as well -- the other bassist had some really good lines, and have i mentioned how AMAZING my rig was sounding all night :rolleyes: :D ;)

seriously could not be happier. :)

Edited by escholl

Had our first wedding fo the year and the first for a new agency we have been on since last year.
Fairly local (south Croydon) and a very nice venue.
Get in and set up was fine. Playing area was long and narrow so we more or less stood in a line. The acoustics were good although the high ceiling meant me had to play a bit louder than usual.
Funniest part of the night was when the singer announced "this next song is a ska favourite by Madness, Baggy trousers" and our guitarist didn't hear him. he shouted across "whats the song?", singer shouts back "Baggy" and guitarist starts playing Maggie May.

All in all a good night and very nice crowd. Especially the drunk MILF in the short black dress. Ill say no more ;-)

Friday night - ceilidh in Moseley, Brum, to raise money for the MS Society, or more accurately, to raise money for [url="http://www.ttt2009.com/tour.html"]a big fund-raiser by the MS Society[/url]. There weren't as many people there as we'd have liked, but most of those there did join in the dancing. We played pretty well (except for my truly dreadful solo at the end) and it was a generally Good Time.

Saturday night - gig with the ad hoc blues band (which may or may not be called Skam) at the gardener's club - a sort of clubhouse and bar on the allotments at the back of Cannon Hill Park in Brum. Unfortunately we were on last, and by the time that we got on, the audience consisted of WAGs without the AG, and a couple of old friends (one of whom may well be about to recruit me to his band). We played well though, and we've got another gig with the same organiser back at his normal pub venue at the end of April.

The final final gig of my soul band Nice Guy Eddie last night - a wedding in a large room. It was a miracle I even got there with the worst man-flu I've had in years, I felt absolutely sh*te and had a bit of a temperature but as they say - the show must go on.

Lots of new gear in use too - Ashdown head / Aguilar 112s (again) and my new Sadowsky. The band loved the sound and I fooking hated it - I had to boost the mids / highs to cut through and then it got quite trebly / scratchy - great for rock / punk but 60's soul? It was very punchy but lacked the definition I'm used to and I'm slowly coming around to the conclusion that I'm a Markbass man.

Much as I loved my new Sadowsky, I struggled with 4 strings and the extra string spacing and by the third song wished I'd started with my 5 string Spector. I never realised how much I use the B string until last night and now I don't know whether to persist with the 4 string Sadowsky or try and swap it for a 5 string one. I know I know...

I've got a blues dep gig at the Burnley Blues Festival tomorrow - just received the set list :) Yeh yeh I know it's "only blues" but I have my work cut out trying to remember how each song goes and all I want to do is lie down and watch some crap on the box.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='459042' date='Apr 10 2009, 08:53 AM']The final final gig of my soul band Nice Guy Eddie last night - a wedding in a large room. It was a miracle I even got there with the worst man-flu I've had in years, I felt absolutely sh*te and had a bit of a temperature but as they say - the show must go on.

Lots of new gear in use too - Ashdown head / Aguilar 112s (again) and my new Sadowsky. The band loved the sound and I fooking hated it - I had to boost the mids / highs to cut through and then it got quite trebly / scratchy - great for rock / punk but 60's soul? It was very punchy but lacked the definition I'm used to and I'm slowly coming around to the conclusion that [size=5]I'm a Markbass man[/size].

Much as I loved my new Sadowsky, I struggled with 4 strings and the extra string spacing and by the third song wished I'd started with my 5 string Spector. I never realised how much I use the B string until last night and now I don't know whether to persist with the 4 string Sadowsky or try and swap it for a 5 string one. I know I know...

I've got a blues dep gig at the Burnley Blues Festival tomorrow - just received the set list :) Yeh yeh I know it's "only blues" but I have my work cut out trying to remember how each song goes and all I want to do is lie down and watch some crap on the box.[/quote]
You know it makes sense ! :rolleyes:

It does it does...I keep buying LMIIs and then despite being perfectly happy with my sound and everything I always end up selling / trading them when something flashy comes along. I really am stupid. One of the best rigs I ever had was a LMII with 2 Aguilar 112s so I'll probably end up buying another but may hold out for the valve one coming out soon - I dunno.

Did the Burnley Blues Fest and it was fantastic - great band and a really appreciative audience. The leader of the band is a guy who goes by the stage name of 'Junkhouse Dog' and is the best harmonica player I've ever heard. I had to wing every number and there was no soundcheck (he was late) but I loved any minute of it.

There's a couple of their songs [url="http://www.chrisroach.org/"]here[/url] in the jukebox. It's the OV8 numbers. There's also a few rough mixes aof my other new band in there Dr. Truth.

The only problem was during the last song he went 'round the band introductions and they all did a solo - when he looked at me I shook my head declining the opprotunity to make an arse of myself and so when he said..."play something soulful..." I started to play Mustang Sally.

It went down like whaleshit but at least he'll never ask me to solo again. I think I may be joining them - hope so.

Edited by niceguyhomer

Had a great gig with our new singer at a local hotel, great crowd and a lot came to see her, we have female singer, and a cracking voice. made a balls of a few songs but noone seemed to notice, i have come to the conclusion that you can practise untill the cows come home but on the night if your going to make a mess of your going to make a mess of it. so things are looking rosy and can't wait for the next one.

Had a great gig last night, though I was really expecting a bigger turnout considering the venue's location. I was planning on using an overdrive pedal last night for the first time, just on a couple of songs. It worked fine in the soundcheck, but when it came to the actual set, the red light wasn't coming on. I assume it's just a low battery. That's batteries for you though. If it had been something essential then I would have changed the battery, but I figured that I could just do without.

We got a lot of positive comments after the show, which leaves me wondering whether we're better than I think we are.

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

Saturday's gig was a 50th birthday function at a cricket club on the world's smallest stage. It looked pretty retro though and we're a 50s and 60s band so that was okay. The weird thing was that seven of my former teachers were there. It was like one of those nightmares where you haven't revised for a test or something. Kept the place dancing all night so that was okay.

Sunday was even weirder. There was a couple of blokes spoiling for a fight with one another in the beer garden, a jewish chap and a biker gang member who was very anti-semetic apparently. It wasn't going to end well. We happily played our first set to an interested crowd but as we finished for the break the mood turned a bit as it transpired that one of these two chaps spoiling for a fight had planted a hammer in the back of the other's head. Cue four police cars, a police van and an ambulance. I saw the guy being taken out and he was moving but covered in blood. The assailant was long gone by then. Because the thing involved a biker gang member, retributions were expected and they closed the pub and cancelled our second set. Still got paid though.

Did my first ever lead vocals on Saturday - hadn't thought I was ready but got pushed into it! :rolleyes:

Quite a feeling. Must have enjoyed it cos I did two numbers before the keyboard player reclaimed his microphone! As for the audience...well they didn't leave. But it was a wedding! :)

gig at the Corner House in Cambridge last wednesday -- sound guy was a useless t*t, and just about everything went wrong including the guitard being out of tune :)

still had a really good time though, and managed to pull in quite a few people all by ourselves. :rolleyes: