Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Went the day well? no, up half past four for work. had some bad news regarding work. played a music pub in the town where i work and it was crap. good sized room with a stage and i could not get a decent sound out of my Trace rig. don't know if it was the wooden stage or what, and i was cramped between the keys, drummer and the singer. my headsock hit the cymbals. my elbow hit the keyboards and my bass hit the singer, a couple of times on purpose. ;). my strap button came off on the horn in mid song and i had to hold it with my knee almost dropping it. my back up bass is an SX with wizards and it sounded horrendous. i'm baffled. and all this before workmates, people who are in bands and a singer who is thinking about joining us. but saying all that people were coming up and saying it was good and the landlord bought us all a drink. now i'm to pissed off to go to sleep. its been a long day.

i had a sick gig tonight (well yesterday evening as of now)

only about 40 people but it was a small room so it seemed full, i got two mics, one on the floor, one on the stage.

free beer

and for some reason lots of photographers.

turned out to be a crazy one, with lots of blood involved.

i'll post some pictures when i/ if i get them through.

not posed here for a while. Gigs have bene a bit thin on the ground.
I just wanted to post this. It was taken at our last gig. 36 hours before this i was in Florida on Holiday. flew back for this.
No offence ot the people in the video but there has to be something better than this on a Sat night.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOkjDZKqeyQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOkjDZKqeyQ[/url]

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='421660' date='Feb 28 2009, 01:37 PM']Looks a bit desperate - but we've done worse! Did a 40th birthday not so long ago in middle of nowhere where the bar was dry and no-one got out of their seats. It was deathly.[/quote]

Yeah, we have also done worse. It wasnt a bad gig as such. Its more the fact that i changed my holiday dates so i could fly back and do it.

[quote name='ARGH' post='421881' date='Feb 28 2009, 07:05 PM']Still waiting,1st gig of the year in 2 weeks...after winter break,guitarists op,tour bookings...and promo pics.

sick of waiting really.[/quote]

Ah, so that's why you've been raging recently. Makes sense now.

[quote name='Buzz' post='421883' date='Feb 28 2009, 07:09 PM']Ah, so that's why you've been raging recently. Makes sense now.[/quote]
Me,raging? at what....

I understand I have an (undeserved I feel) reputation for writing in a blunt fashion. But I dont think Ive been harsh in ages...months really...

[quote name='Buzz' post='421960' date='Feb 28 2009, 08:44 PM']At nothing really in particular, just this general air of aggression in a few posts I thought, kind of the air where you're angry at something and that anger just happens to seem into other outlets.[/quote]
Well,I am Bipolar,but the only time Ive been cheesed recently is either from 'Thisnameistaken' and his utterly contemptable thoughts upon function/working band bassists,or waynes misguided,fashion driven,dig at Ex Genesis Peter for not wanting to chop his song at an awards ceremony....which Wayne still has not clarified his point upon weather Peter playing the said song...cut... at the awards would be selling out?

I am an angry poster,I know that,I used to rant..a f***ing lot,I try to change that,but then half the time people expect that...so..I cant win,so I dont bother.

Still dont like the idea that 'I hate Warwicks' though,utterly untrue,that seems to have appeared recently,and the idea that I only post about myself...oh dear I have done..whoops..shame.. :)

edit:thanks for telling me though.

Edited by ARGH

Did a rugby club post-match gig which was going great...

...until my Trace head went up in a puff of grey smoke. The sound stopped, so I turned around to see smoke rising from the head. It was still on, just no sound coming out. Think the Mosfets must have blown. :)

Luckily I had my Aphex Compressor in my bag, so I used it as a DI box and ran myself through the PA. Think it sounded ok out the front but was pretty crappy onstage, through the monitors.

Last gig with my band Hulagroove tonight for me and the drummer. We played Waddestone Manor - very nice venue. Good crowd too, slighly posh but they enjoyed themselves without getting absolutely hammered. The food was an endless supply of BBQ kebabs of various kinds. Blimey, I must have put away about 12 of them, most of which were vege.

I took the Shuker Headless for a test drive and had mixed results. I can hear the potential of the bass, its going to sound f***ing fantastic if/when it starts relaxing. However at the moment it was tight, a bit boomy and lacking in upper mids. However what surprised me was that, depending on the eq, I was hearing elements of Smith, Status and Musicman in the sounds I was getting (and loads of really soft sounding growl). In some respects the bass sounded too soft and polite. Standing away from the speaker I was getting lots of lows (ironic given my comments on the lack of warmth at lower volumes in the build diary) and some snap but still not a lot of mids (which had to be boosted). I also had a few issues with the neck width and I might have to see if Jon can narrow the nut width down too. However when I dialled in some mids there was loads of growl. Awesome.

I really started to lament the lack of speaker cones pointing at my head. Might have to use my spare time now planning a couple of DIY speaker builds perhaps...

Went to the gig early & watched the England/Ireland game (will they ever manage to play a full 80 mins with 15 men!? :) )

Pub pretty much emptied after the game so the crowd was not huge for most of the night.

Did most of the first set and part of the second to polite applause, and was chatting to a couple at the break who said that Friday is the better night - ain't it always the way - and we were wasted on the rest of the pub ([i]which was nice[/i]). All rather annoying as we were really tight and the sound was great.

Still about half way through the second set a pirate band arrived (NO REALLY, well OK a bunch of folks who had decided to go out for a session dressed as pirates) and they geed up the rest of the pub, so we finished to cries of more. Nice but a bit late in the evening sadly.

Still onwards & upwards. The two new Foo Fighters songs went well and another new venue to try next week.

Final annoying part of the night. We are down to play (and possibly finish) a festival in its second year in my home town August Bank Holiday weekend. First we realised at a meeting about it this week that our drummer gets back from hols that morning, but he's been talked into having a couple of hours kip & doing it. Then tonight I find our vocalist will be in the US :rolleyes:, and our old vocalist from the originals band from a few years back will be back from New Zealand, but travelling round Europe with his current girlfriend over that weekend (double :D). Drummer & I were talking after the gig over a kebab (something we have not done for a while) and trying to decide whether we could think of a stand in for a half hour set, and whether that will cause different grief.

Absolutely awful.
Played to an empty room at the Hertford Marquee.

Had our old drummer back depping, so he had to learn our set in 3 days, which he did, amazingly well, but not a single person turned up.

it was so bad, te headliners refused to play and left at the same time as us.

The band just doesnt seem to attract a crowd, and whilst i love the music, i hatespending a shed load of dosh on rehearsals, take a half day at work, travelling an hour to a gig, only for no one to come along.

Methinks i need another band

[quote name='Matty' post='422749' date='Mar 1 2009, 10:37 PM']Absolutely awful.
Played to an empty room at the Hertford Marquee.

Had our old drummer back depping, so he had to learn our set in 3 days, which he did, amazingly well, but not a single person turned up.

it was so bad, te headliners refused to play and left at the same time as us.

The band just doesnt seem to attract a crowd, and whilst i love the music, i hatespending a shed load of dosh on rehearsals, take a half day at work, travelling an hour to a gig, only for no one to come along.

Methinks i need another band[/quote]

or some marketing ...