Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Saurday I played a Twmpath barn dance dep on the Stagg upright deep up a Welsh Valley, on the day before St Davids' day and during the 6 nations rugby competition. .. The entire room was in Welsh rugby shirts or national dress (the under 6's). Actually most of the audience was at home watching the rugby or rednose come dancing .. Still, the kids tehre had a good dance and no one had a go at me for being English...

My upright playing is coming on but I'm still struggling with the change of style needed, playing a lot less and using open strings (they are in tune!) and intonation. I've swapped my wedge monitor for a Vox Venue 30 practice amp for this gig and it gets plugged into the little PA so I just need to hear myself enough to play in tune.
The Vox struggles with the open E played enthusiastically but that's asking a bit much for any practice amp, I think. I'd liek o try it througha Roland Cube 30 sometime though.
The overall sound is Ok and the band loves the look of the upright and keeps telling me .. That's nice for such a cheap instrument :) .

Got another one with them next week ..

• 2 weeks later...

One of those ones where it starts off dire and ends up great.

Played a locals pub in Surbiton. For first hour it was empty, despite posters and promotion. Then a rent a crowd appeared and piled onto dance floor during 2nd half. We kicked into gear and started playing all our big tunes back to back. It went crazy as a result and ended with one very attractive young lady dancing on a table in front of us. The lead singer says he's made a mental note of the image for recall later. :)

Used my Yamaha BB614 and Trace combo which coped well but were farting a bit by the end. Stuck the Aphex Punch Factory on too which seemed to smooth things out. Really like my little combo, it's great for pub gigs.

Fundraiser in an hall that was nice size, good floor, big stage but the most awful sound.
Repeat gig so we went prepared - all amps, cabs, micstands , monitors on foam, rubber feet, my Gramma pad or carpet, careful adjustment on the PA EQ helped a bit but a weird ringing on any E notes all night ..
Still, great enthusiasm from the crowd so a really nice night with a fair wedge collected for the good cause and some very nice comments at the end.

The laff of the night was our newish young Dave getting carded when he went to the offie for some beer - he's 31 :)
We're saving up for the shopkeeper to get an eye test :rolleyes:

Blinder at The Hop in Wakefield - going from strength to strength , that place.

It's introducing a load of transient , night club types to the pub live band scene and they're finding they love it. Joint is really jumping. At the mo. only the downstairs is open and the stage is a bit small but they have plans to open the upstairs as a bigger venue - can't wait for that one.

Was a busy weekend :) Played in Dysart on Friday and they loved it. Wouldnt let us finish and we ended up playing til 12.30 instead of 12.

Played The Crystal Bar in Crossgates last night for the first time so were not sure how it would go. When they eventually let us finish I heard one guy shout "best live band thats played the crystal bar ever" I was quite impressed but it might say more for who has played before as I have no idea who has been there haha.

Highlight for the rest of the band was when we were loading in and our lead guitarist heard one of the yokels saying the beardy guy must be the roadie, talkin about me btw! So I was the roady all night after that and probably for a long time to come!

was actually last Saturday. Gig was great, we went topless, got 2 encores (I'm sure that's not related :) ).

I had some problems to begin with though. It was the first time I'd used my Iceni through my stack in anger. The sound check sounded ok, but when we kicked off I was too loud (made a change - the bass been too loud!) and and a bit toppy for my liking. Not sure how that happened. My stack was behind the drummer so getting to it to make adjustments wasn't easy, so I adjusted the volume and EQ on my bass, with lots of 'does this sound ok now' motions to a mate in the crowd LOL.

Aaaah!

Your last gig with a band, Al, my first (sorry no pics). A four-piece Beatlesy cover band who don't take themselves too seriously. In fact, having two 'follically challenged' members, they put on comedy wigs to do Fab Four numbers...

It was a surprise 30th party for a friend of the drummer, so we had the exciting 'lights off in the bar' moment as he got out of his car and walked through the car park. Then, fortunately, lights on as I had a 30-song crib sheet to keep in line of sight.

No wig-wearing , though - might have drawn the line at that! :)

Nice pub gig for the landlords father's 70th birthday. Big crowd, during our first set they seemed to be chatting amongst themselves, but in the second half, the younger set detached from the main group and started singing and dancing along and screaming for encore after encore. The publishers of the local gig guide were there, and said they could get us loads more of the same if we wanted.

Curious incident outside the kebab shop afterwards with a drunken teenager having a fit, paramedic attending quickly but it took 30 minutes for the ambulance to arrive. She seemed OK though as they wheeled her away. Kebabs were good.

A spooky number of strange co-incidences throughout the evening.

[quote]like what? indulge me![/quote]

1 - When I got in the car to go to the gig, I said "Hasn't it been a lovely day". At that moment, the driver turned the radio on, and the Radio 4 weather girl said "It's going to be a nice one tomorrow, as well"

2 - I found out our guitarist and I both knew Jacqui Dankworth when we were younger ( in my case, much younger ),

3 - Someone we took along for the ride turned out to know lots of the people at the party, even though we were miles from home, and had no connection with them at all

4 - On a previous occasion, our after-gig kebab shop visit was enhanced by the appearance of a drunken pirate. While waiting for the aforementioned ambulance to arrive, one of the band said "I'd rather we had another pirate, instead". A few minutes later, a pirate walked past us, complete with blood stained shirt - we weren't sure if it was real or fake, and weren't going to ask

So since the Admiral Drake we have had:[list=1]
[*]The Half Brick, Worthing
[*]Red Lion Stubbington
[*]Cheers Bar, Bognor Regis
[/list]
Half Brick - hmmmmmmmm. Started quiet, and got quieter. Still a paid rehearsal. To be fair there were a few souls about who enjoyed themselves and took the time to say so after, and some of those coming out of the function room do behind us were dancing around. Got paid & offered a support to one of the name bands he is putting on a gig for to get us in front of a few more people so that [i]hopefully[/i] the next gig we get on our own there will be better attended

Red Lion - not a bad night & a few other bands in to find out how it should be done :)

Cheers last night - An OK night. The gaggle of girls on a birthday night out moved on to their next port of call in the break. Sound was good for me and now Max is mixing up the set to keep us on our toes it gets interesting when stuff we haven't done for a while gets put in. Found it funny that for a rock band (and a bunch of aging rockers at that!) there seemed to be mostly girlies up and dancing at the front pretty much all the evening - which was nice. Most enjoyable view from our side, it probably looked like a bunch of old lechers from the front :rolleyes:

The tour continues next week with The Royal Oak, Whitehill Friday & The Fountain, Chichester (our favourite gig) Saturday - mind you it does mean I shall be good for absolutely nothing but kipping & bathing my aching joints on Sunday

Our drummer has a 70s Slingerland drum kit, its huge, and he reckons it's worth over a grand. He never lets anyone he doesn't know pretty damn well using it. We have a gig in Cardiff. The promoter wants us to lend our kit and bass rig to the other local band who he has added to the bill ahead of us 3 days before the gig. We told him no, due to drummer, and the fact I am borrowing the part of the bass rig from my housemate (we share gear fairly freely).

Gig day: Because me and guitarist Bunjy were working drummer and van driver go to rehearsal space to get the stuff, collect me from work and head out. Bunjy and singer are driving there seperately. We get there, find the room nis up 2 flights of narrow stairs, I have 2 cabs the size of fridge freezers, lug them, amps and cases up the stairs. The local band have already set their kit up on stage, our drummer is all 'can I move it back to fit my drums on?', they say
'no', so he decides to set up in front of stage, he has a carpet with where all the drums go marked out to make it easy.

That's when he realises he has forgotten his whole kit. He then has to beg to borrow the other band's kit, which wans't nearly loud enough, and we looked like a right bunch of idiotss. And the promoter refused to pay us the agreed fee, after we'd given money to other band for using their kit, so we ended up losing bunches of cash.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='441468' date='Mar 22 2009, 01:47 AM']Our drummer has a 70s Slingerland drum kit, its huge, and he reckons it's worth over a grand. He never lets anyone he doesn't know pretty damn well using it. We have a gig in Cardiff. The promoter wants us to lend our kit and bass rig to the other local band who he has added to the bill ahead of us 3 days before the gig. We told him no, due to drummer, and the fact I am borrowing the part of the bass rig from my housemate (we share gear fairly freely).

Gig day: Because me and guitarist Bunjy were working drummer and van driver go to rehearsal space to get the stuff, collect me from work and head out. Bunjy and singer are driving there seperately. We get there, find the room nis up 2 flights of narrow stairs, I have 2 cabs the size of fridge freezers, lug them, amps and cases up the stairs. The local band have already set their kit up on stage, our drummer is all 'can I move it back to fit my drums on?', they say
'no', so he decides to set up in front of stage, he has a carpet with where all the drums go marked out to make it easy.

That's when he realises he has forgotten his whole kit. He then has to beg to borrow the other band's kit, which wans't nearly loud enough, and we looked like a right bunch of idiotss. And the promoter refused to pay us the agreed fee, after we'd given money to other band for using their kit, so we ended up losing bunches of cash.[/quote]

Sods law does work amazingly.

Rumours Wine Bar, Ammanford
Packed out, massive fight by the stage the guitarist waded into, rolled in around 2:30am this morning, half-deaf now.
Starting to wonder if I'm getting too old for this............ :)