Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='pete.young' post='497190' date='May 25 2009, 11:54 AM']Cheating slightly: it wasn't last night and it wasn't my gig! I went to see Darren of Bass Merchant fame playing with Dirty Trix in the newly re-opened Ipswich Railway on Saturday, and it was an excellent night. The bass sounded immense.[/quote]

If you make the cards it would be a shame if you couldn't get yourself a winning hand :)

Thursday: Shoite - pap monitoring, missed most of my cues/played the wrong stuff/played at the wrong time. Very happy when it was over.
Saturday: Dreadful atmosphere, some stupid div woman who i) abandoned her car in the middle of the junction because she wanted to talk to somebody and blocked the entrance to where we wanted to load in ii) then stood exactly in the way of where we needed to go when we wanted to load out. Dep drummer + not enough rehearsals and it was a bit patchy. Sounded alright though! :)

Saturday started out badly-whilst having a lie-in, recovering from seeing the Hold Steady in Falmouth the night before (excellent!) I get a phone call from the drummer. We are due to play Woodrock that night, a kind of private party/mini-festival in the woods, as the support band. We actually formed the band in order to play there, and we played it last year. It was our first gig as a three-piece with me on lead vocals, and I don't consider it my finest hour-only half a set, singing stuff I had no business singing, hangovers from when we had a female singer.
Anyway, it appears that the main band look like they aren't going to show-which is great in one way as we get the whole gig to ourselves, but we were due to use their PA as we don't own one. The one we usually borrow is in use, so I have to do some frantic phoning around to hire one at short notice on a bank holiday weekend. Thankfully my luck's in, and I manage to get a pretty decent one from a very nice chap down the road from me. He owns a pretty cool-looking studio which I expect we'll be making use of soon.
The gig is a triumph, the gig I was hoping last year would have been-had a total blast, played well, went down well, everyone up dancing, and the organisers think we're wonderful 'cos we've saved the night. Superb weather too, and my missus still sober enough not to need carrying back to the tent afterwards.
Up the next day, pack up and off to Trevone near Padstow for a charity beer festival in aid of FLEET, the Cornish ambulance service equipment trust. This time we're supporting Kernuyck, a local metal band who are doing pretty well. Great bunch of lads, happy for us to use their PA, totally laid-back and a pleasure to deal with. Our set goes well, a few too many cock-ups on my part, but we get away with it. Kernuyck play a storming set-I'm no metalhead, but I thoroughly enjoyed them, as did my 10-year old daughter, who begs me to buy her their EP! Cheap beer too, a fry-up in the morning, about £2500 raised so far, in all a damn fine weekend!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='500628' date='May 29 2009, 09:58 AM']Hadn't gigged for a month before a jazz trio gig I did last night. Sounded like it :)[/quote]
Summed up mine to a degree. Good to be back at it but my partner in the rhythm section had a number of alien abduction moments, especially at the end of a few numbers

WPOD he doubled the length of the fill into the final section so we had a false start at it, then a "don't worry we'll find it / catch you up" bit then it went OK - got my ticket for the Brixton O2 for Tuesday night to see it done properly woohoo!!

First set opener was a new song and a cover of a virtually unknown (I suspect looking at their MySpace) Canadian band called Daylight for Deadeyes.

Oddly the first set, which has felt like it lagged a bit previously (though it has been tweaked), went really well, and the second fell a bit flat.

Boiling hot night (I wish I had gone for the shorts) and a couple of litres of water so I must have been working fairly hard.

Still onwards & upwards to one a little nearer home next Friday

Playing in the bar/nightclub of Norn Iron's no.1 place to eat. Harbour Bar (Portrush - it ain't THAT good)...

Mixed night. I thought we were totally pish, but the crowd loved it and danced the whole night. Like a sauna in the place and couldn't move for punters. Our crap singer is getting worse and our drummer, who thinks he's god's gift (but isn't!), wasn't much better. Everything was played about 20bpm too fast and blamed on everybody else - are there actually drummers out there who can set the tempo themselves and not rely on the guitarist? And another thing... usually the whole idea of having the words on a music stand in front of you is to actually use them... or have I got that all wrong?

Brought my wee BR micro recorder along to show the guys just how crap they can be, but set the recording input level too high by accident and now have 2 hours 43 minutes of distorted mush instead!

Rant over. Just enjoying a wee Magners now (other apple based alcoholic products are available) before heading off to my pit...

Last night's gig: awesome. Simple as that. My pedalboard died 3 songs into the first set so I had to run the rest of that set without PA support; the LH500 and Trace 1x15 didn't bat an eyelid as I cranked the level. It deafened everything onstage but I quite liked that :rolleyes:

Pedalboard sorted for the 2nd set and everything was rosy. Bride and groom loved it, some lovely looking young ladies and lovely cake :)

First time out for our newly formed Wishbone Ash tribute band named, wait for it ! Wishclone Ash. Da Daaaaaa !!!!

We played an hour long set at a charity show. It went very well to say we only had six rehearsals. Dead chuffed.
Played through a rig that was provided by the organisers. I expected some right cacky thing, but when I got there it turned out to be an Ampeg rig Wooo Hooo !!! Earth shattering sound or what !

GAS attack for new rig now,Bugger, thought I was over all that.

I played through a house Ampeg last night too - 400W into some 4x10 thing. The damn thing cut out on me the previous 2 times I played that particularly busy venue so I'm no fan, also I never really liked the flappy, farty, harsh sound from it when it was working. The sound guy assured me just as we were line checking that they had had it fixed - I was sceptical at first but..... OMFG I have never had such a good onstage sound with a house rig before. I f***ing loved it and that enjoyment spilt over into my playing, I was bunging in new fills all over the place. We only played a 45 min set but I came off knackered. :)

But the best part of the gig was when a fellow bass player who I only just about know but have seen play many times before and who's ability has often had me just staring with my mouth open, came up to me and confessed that watching me was like a master class and he was grateful. :rolleyes:

Arrived at 3.15 today at the Woolpack at Almondbury to a virtually empty pub but by 4.30 start time the place was packed and stayed that way all night.

What a cracking gig with a brilliant audience who sang and danced along to every song.

Our drummer has been mentioning that he has a pa and decided to bring it along today and bloody hell this thing would take on the Albert Hall with the bass cabs having two 18' speakers !! Lovely to have so much in reserve.

Managed to be able to take the kids along as well and they loved it.

Roll on next gig !!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='502020' date='May 31 2009, 01:11 AM']Bedford Park in Streatham, was a good one the FOH sound was terrible but my P still sounded really nice. had a lot of fun.

Got a gig at 5 tomorrow and an audition at 7 so wish me luck.

Pic from tonight, what cab am I playing through? didn't see a model number but it was DEEP!!!![/quote]

Goodnes Wayne, You are playing a sunburst in public!!
So it's still not pink and Barts head is still there? :)

Played at a wedding yesterday; got paid well (good) but as it was outside in a marquee and it was chilly, hardly anyone bothered coming into to watch, dance or even heckle (bad)!

Shame really, as we had a great sound, played well and even managed to do a flawless version of 'Live and Let Die' for the first time ever..

We have done some good ones before, but most of the time I find wedding gigs (compared to most others we do) are really, really awful.. Is that true generally or is it just me??

Played at the Llangollen Blues Festival - fantastic gig, awful drive (90 mins). Sadowsky / Ashdown / Epifani well and truly kicked ass. Gig wasn't spoilt by the three knobhead scousers who kicked off when shown the door - makes me ashamed to come from the same place.

Edited by niceguyhomer

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='507825' date='Jun 7 2009, 09:49 PM']Played at the Llangollen Blues Festival - fantastic gig, awful drive (90 mins). Sadowsky / Ashdown / Epifani well and truly kicked ass. Gig wasn't spoilt by the [b]three knobhead scousers who kicked off[/b] when shown the door - makes me ashamed to come from the same place.[/quote]

"Wha' d'you mean you don't friggin' do Ferry 'cross deh friggin' Mersey?"

:)

Edited by Ou7shined

Cheers in Bognor, well Friday - last night was a mass band piss up (sorry the annual soiree) round the drummers g/f's house, which was fun except that I ended up driving MrsW as usual though that said had a good time even though sober.

ANYWAY, Cheers. Did its usual. Noone there (much) at 9 for the start, but filled up pretty quickly. So the new number got soundchecked, played as the set 1 opener and then again for Set 2 and went down well despite being a completely unknown song by a pretty much unknown Canadian band I downloaded from eMusic. A Steve said when introducing it the second time hopefully within a few gigs the crowd will be getting into the audience shouty bits (it's only YEAH!!! after all).

Gig went well and a good crowd with a load of musos in - well lots of drummers anyway :) . Kev got collared by 4 during the night & didn't need rescuing from any.

We also seemed to work a miracle as a guy who shuffled in with a stick (walking not Chapman) spent the second half headbanging & playing stick guitar :rolleyes:

Next week it's The Royal Oak Hollywater/Whitehill/Bordon Friday and back to The Fountain in Chichester Saturday with a day out to the Music show Sunday, so a full one

Edited by WalMan

Friday. We were OK, but no one there. I don't think we shall bother again. V scary wench who completely put Max off what he was playing when she clambered onto a table in front of us, got down on all fours & waggled her very pert butt at us.

Saturday. Was everything expected of the Fountain in Chi. We were actually set up ready a bit earlier than usual and it seemed empty, though there were loads of people outside. Come start of the first set though the place was packed & its usual ebullient dancey/singing self HURRAH!!!

Both sets went really well and of course because it was particularly good and there was loads of very vocal support and few cock ups / alien abduction moments the ADAT wasn't in the rack and the gig wasn't recorded, which was a real shame.

Hard work as ever with two long sets. First set was well over an hour, and the second ended up as a fraction under two hours with encores.

Bit of a scare a couple of songs into the second set as my fretting hand started cramping up, but necking half a litre of water (out of the 3 litres consumed tonight) sorted that out.

Bass was sounding particularly nice tonight (that'll be the new stings)

And now I have to try to wind down quickly (a contradiction in terms) as I need to be up in four hours to leave for the Music Show. :)