Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='spike' post='523876' date='Jun 25 2009, 05:04 PM']I wonder if they could sue the caterers if they fell over on the way to the bar for their 21st pint :) ?[/quote]

I'm sure these guys will help them sue the bar staff, caterers, their best mate for letting them get drunk, their boss for paying them some money to buy the beer, their parents for giving birth to them .... and the band
[url="http://www.accidentsdirect.com/"]http://www.accidentsdirect.com/[/url]

Yeah, good gig last night. We played 'Underbelly' in Hoxton Square, London. Nice little downstairs venue. Sound was pretty good on stage, decent crowd and the gig went well. I think we made some new fans too.

[quote name='OldGit' post='523858' date='Jun 25 2009, 04:52 PM']We use it as a get out of jail free card when people come up with the plainly stupid idea of holding a barn dance in a real working barn .. Doh!
But it's good for making sure they shell out for the proper flooring in a tent too. Bear in mind we are "causing" the guests to 'urtle across the floor at break neck speed (Sic) and therefore should have done all we can to make sure our "working area" is safe.[/quote]
Mrs Zero warns dancers to be sure they're not wearing unsuitable shoes, but unfortunately the other day one woman wore shoes that came off as Mrs Zero was demonstrating a dance with her. Woman fell, Mrs Zero fell with her, trying to keep her up. Woman was OK, Mrs Zero is still feeling the effects two weeks (and two barn dances) later.

We're doing a barn dance in a real barn in a couple of weeks, but it appears to have a flat floor so should be OK...

Went well all in all.
There are recordings from last nights effort on my singers [url="http://www.davehughesmusic.co.uk/blog/"]blog[/url]. Have a listen.
Can you hear how drunk our female backing singer is, especially on No Surrender. Bass sounds good though :)

Edited by d-basser

Played my first gig with my latest band 'Liberation Works' tonight at the Varsity in Wolverhampton. Aside from a minor DI issue during the first song (I set the level to ZERO!!!! IDIOT!!!) it all went well! Really wish I'd warmed up because my wrist/forearm was killing me by the end of the set, time for the strap to get shorter I think! But all in all, a good night, had people up clapping and dancing, all we could ask for on our first gig. Looking forward to the next one now!

[quote name='d-basser' post='525406' date='Jun 26 2009, 10:08 PM']Went well all in all.
There are recordings from last nights effort on my singers [url="http://www.davehughesmusic.co.uk/blog/"]blog[/url]. Have a listen.
Can you hear how drunk our female backing singer is, especially on No Surrender. Bass sounds good though :)[/quote]

the most drunk at a gig I was sick down the back of a Trace stack........ ruined that bright box..... would get good money for that on e-bay now too....

[quote name='crez5150' post='525587' date='Jun 27 2009, 12:53 AM']the most drunk at a gig I was sick down the back of a Trace stack........ ruined that bright box..... would get good money for that on e-bay now too....[/quote]

Very professional ;-)

Played at The Barn in Porstmouth on thursday night, great venue, great promoter and a great crowd. First time we've had people come in to listen to us. Was very hot but didn't matter much had people outside listening. Even got a review!

[url="http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=425016541&blogId=497357602"]http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseact...logId=497357602[/url]

Back to The Swan @ Woolston, but a man down (more money woohoo! :rolleyes: ) as #2 guitarist had gone to Cuba with his g/f for her birthday.

Had a r/h Monday to run through some stuff to check out stuff to play as a three piece. Nothing particularly difficult, but we hadn't played them for a loooooooooong time so getting through unscathed first try on Monday was a surprise and they went in last night - Smoke on the Water, Wishing Well, Broken Dream & Too Much Too Young.

Last night was the first with the Gramma riser I picked up at LIMS a couple of weeks back and it got ditched in the break. It'll either be kept for recording (like that ever happens :)) or will shortly turn up here in For Sale. Unfortunately it was just too good at decoupling the rig from the floor to the extent that the bass disappeared on stage in the first set. Second set with the rig on the stage felt a lot better as we could all feel it.

Drummer took the Orange Sticker award last night - despite valiant attempts by the rest of us forgetting words sections of songs we have done for ages that were odd back as a three piece (instrument wise) - by going for the fill at the end of SOTW, catching a stick under the ride cymbal and watching it spin across the stage, picking up another stick, going for it again and doing exactly the same thing to everyone's huge amusement except possibly his.

Crowd were good dancing & singing through the second set and for a gig where I thought there was a strict 11:00 curfew we ended up going on 'til around 11:30.

Got some nice compliments at the end along the lines of "Great night and you always look like you are enjoying yourselves, unlike ******** who do a similar set and proficient, but miserable as ****" to which my standard reply (after Thanks) is "isn't that what it's all about. If I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't do it"

Down side to the night. My Shure E2c's packed up, or rather the left hand plug did, possibly drowned in sweat running into my ear - eeeeuw!!

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='WalMan' post='526638' date='Jun 28 2009, 12:26 PM']Last night was the first with the Gramma riser I picked up at LIMS a couple of weeks back and it got ditched in the break. It'll either be kept for recording (like that ever happens :)) or will shortly turn up here in For Sale. Unfortunately it was just too good at decoupling the rig from the floor to the extent that the bass disappeared on stage in the first set. Second set with the rig on the stage felt a lot better as we could all feel it.[/quote]

Thats how i feel at most of our Stage gigs. I have two pieces of gramma foam that i use on hollow stage and it does a good job of getting rid of some of the boom but it seems these days i don't play that many stages where i hear any benefit.
I also like to feel the low end coming through the stage although not too muddy so i keep the foam handy.

Went to a jam night at the local (Five Bells in Burwell). Wasn't exactly chocka, and no PA, but a few guys turned up with a drum kit and guitars, and we had a couple of hours just noodling.

It's the second time I've been, and it's been great to just jam, and get up and play - been hitting a bass-playing slump recently, and needed some inspiration to keep me going. Plus an attack of GAS :)

Ian

Channelling dave_bass5 - social club on Saturday, guitarist's recently repaired amp started cutting out in the first song, eventually put him into the keyboard amp and the keyboard into the PA. Place was actually moderately lively, although since I first played there with this band about three years ago, things have got gradually worse. Got a chance to have a play through the new Tech Soundsystems speaker in anger, and jolly good it was too. I need to do some playing around to get the best out of it though.

Played the Bridge House 2 in Canning Town.

We were meant to be on at 8.30 to support a Ska band.

There was no Ska band, we were headlining, and on at 9.30. Played to the other other band and 3 people we bought with us! Oh the joys of being an originals act.

We sounded decent though, even though I made the schoolboy error of turning the volume down on my bass and therefore missing the intro of a song.

[quote name='tauzero' post='524626' date='Jun 26 2009, 09:44 AM']Mrs Zero warns dancers to be sure they're not wearing unsuitable shoes, but unfortunately the other day one woman wore shoes that came off as Mrs Zero was demonstrating a dance with her. Woman fell, Mrs Zero fell with her, trying to keep her up. Woman was OK, Mrs Zero is still feeling the effects two weeks (and two barn dances) later.

We're doing a barn dance in a real barn in a couple of weeks, but it appears to have a flat floor so should be OK...[/quote]

Yeah we get fallers. No major injuries as yet ... ..
Make sure they have the right licences and insurances for that barn. The Fire people are inclined to worry about lots of power and lights in real barns .......

And why do organisers insist on putting bales on the dance floor, even like ours last Saturday - in a village hall... ? They are just the right height to catch people out.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='527872' date='Jun 29 2009, 04:30 PM']Played the Bridge House 2 in Canning Town.

We were meant to be on at 8.30 to support a Ska band.

There was no Ska band, we were headlining, and on at 9.30. Played to the other other band and 3 people we bought with us! Oh the joys of being an originals act.

We sounded decent though, even though I made the schoolboy error of turning the volume down on my bass and therefore missing the intro of a song.[/quote]

Had the same experience at the same venue, did you have to play through that crappy Peavey combo?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='527878' date='Jun 29 2009, 04:35 PM']Had the same experience at the same venue, did you have to play through that crappy Peavey combo?[/quote]

Yeah, thought it sounded really good! Much better than the majority of places that we play!

Any idea what the deal is with this place? Felt like a scam as the other band had been told the exact same thing as us. Its on a sh*tty industrial estate, its not promoted so no one buys tickets, and they didn't even encourage us to bring people. Just can't see what the point of the whole thing is??

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='527879' date='Jun 29 2009, 04:39 PM']Yeah, thought it sounded really good! Much better than the majority of places that we play!

Any idea what the deal is with this place? Felt like a scam as the other band had been told the exact same thing as us. Its on a sh*tty industrial estate, its not promoted so no one buys tickets, and they didn't even encourage us to bring people. Just can't see what the point of the whole thing is??[/quote]

Agreed it's a nice venue in a really strange place, I think Clarky has played there wonder if he got given the same story,

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='527889' date='Jun 29 2009, 04:47 PM']Agreed it's a nice venue in a really strange place, I think Clarky has played there wonder if he got given the same story,[/quote]
Nah, had a couple of really good nights at the BH 2. Both were punk nights and both properly promoted, one was supporting 999 .... which guaranteed a sellout crowd. Each time I borrowed a really decent amp off one of the other bands (there were about 5 bands each time). There are different themed evenings at the BH2 and I suspect its up to whoever individually promotes these as to whether its a good evening or a tumbleweed one.

Played a rocky barn dance for a brass band and their visiting mates from a vast band from Germany .....

They'd been there 3 days and had been playing and partying almost non stop however they were all still up for it.
My co-frontman and caller and squeeze box bloke Steve was panicking like mad beforehand because of the potential language problems but it was Ok as most spoke pretty good English, even though it was Wiltshire. The Germans had no problems either...
:)

In the break a little Umpah quintet did a turn and filled the dance floor with lots of people dancing Tyrolean Waltzes, Polkas and a kind of Birdy Dance chicken impression

After the break I switched basses and got caught out with the tuning. Normally I tune them before they go in the case and then just make sure it's oK one I get them out. I'd not had a chance to do the P5. It came out well flat according to the tuner in the zoom MFX. I tuned it and we were off. It sounded terrible so I was playing the whole tune on just on the B and E which were in tune and trying to work out what was wrong. After the first number I realised that the zoom shows the sharp notes by adding a tiny fullstop after the note letter in tehdisplay so I had tuned G and A to G# and A# ... Doh!

Still suffering from big nasty dentistry on Tuesday so severe jaw ache too .. thought I'd finally started cracking up ...

Great gig though - we even had three encores, one of which was a stomping and clapping one:) That doesn't happen very often :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

[quote name='Clarky' post='527898' date='Jun 29 2009, 04:58 PM']Nah, had a couple of really good nights at the BH 2. Both were punk nights and both properly promoted, one was supporting 999 .... which guaranteed a sellout crowd. Each time I borrowed a really decent amp off one of the other bands (there were about 5 bands each time). There are different themed evenings at the BH2 and I suspect its up to whoever individually promotes these as to whether its a good evening or a tumbleweed one.[/quote]

It just had a strange feel to it last night. Like they were just checking us out to see if we were worth booking on a proper night. Think that was probably the case. They were a friendly bunch so I'm not complaining. Thought the Peavey combo was ace!