Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Been busy recently, which is a nice change.

I've had a recent revelation... my action has been too low. I've been getting a 'barking' on all my basses which has irritated me a bit recently. I raised the action on 'em all, and the barking has gone and now I just get a lovely roundness with a bit of growl when I dig in.

Fab.

Anyway...

Played at South Shields Amphitheatre with the Billy Mitchell Band on Saturday night. It should have been great... 600 people there, fantastic KV2 PA.. but the sound was awful. Really disappointing.

Punters enjoyed it, though.

Sunday afternoon was a gig with The Caffreys on the right side of the Tyne from the last one, at North Shields. That was fab too... lots of familiar faces and new people. First band gig in six months (due to illness). It was a blast.

Here's a clip...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='528402' date='Jun 30 2009, 10:18 AM']Been busy recently, which is a nice change.

I've had a recent revelation... my action has been too low. I've been getting a 'barking' on all my basses which has irritated me a bit recently. I raised the action on 'em all, and the barking has gone and now I just get a lovely roundness with a bit of growl when I dig in.

Fab.

Anyway...

Played at South Shields Amphitheatre with the Billy Mitchell Band on Saturday night. It should have been great... 600 people there, fantastic KV2 PA.. but the sound was awful. Really disappointing.

Punters enjoyed it, though.

Sunday afternoon was a gig with The Caffreys on the right side of the Tyne from the last one, at North Shields. That was fab too... lots of familiar faces and new people. First band gig in six months (due to illness). It was a blast.

Here's a clip...

[/quote]

That's great Very nice bass sound too :)

I already said the gig we did on Sauturday night was not too good with the sound, but the band played good!
We got joined on stage for the last two tracks (one original and Looking at you - MC5) by Aziz Ibrahim (stone roses / Ian Brown) great player, as the MC5 track is a bit easy, I just stood and watched for a while, this guy has some serious skills, and is a nice chap with it!

Next we got a quiet mid week Retro Bar slot, the Sunday 12th June at Moho live in manchester

Tony

Did a 40th birthday party last night. Violinist couldn't make it, so some of the songs sounded a little sparse, but we did okay. There were a couple of moments when we lost the plot slightly, but we pulled it back on course. At one point I noticed a guy sat down watching me like a hawk. "Righto, " I thought, "fellow bass player then." He remained seated throughout, and every time I looked in his direction, he was still glaring at me. I started to get a little bit paranoid, and was conscious that he was probably making a mental list of every tiny bass-related flub.

After we'd finished, him and his wife came up to us with huge smiles on their faces telling us how tight we sounded (which I internally took credit for, because when people say "the band sounds tight" what they generally mean, albeit unknowingly, is "the bass and drums sound tight"), how good the sound was (which I internally took credit for, because, as usual, the band leader set the mixing console up next to my bass amp and said "Stylon, you'll be okay doing the PA, right?"). I asked him if he was a bass player, and he said "well, I play a bit of bass, but it's not my main instrument." So I'd been getting all worried about nothing. I'll remember that for next time.

S.P.

Played the first two gigs with my band Asylum Affair on friday and saturday. Friday was The Plough, Crawley, not many there but those that were enjoyed. We play some classic rock and pop, five piece with girl singer and have been together from about February but due to various circumstances had not got a massive amount of rehearsals in. Had 3 booked in the weeks before first gig but only managed to do the last one on Thursday which included 4 new songs to try. To be honest we played a blinder, minimal mistakes and the first full band gig for the singer who normally does solo stuff with DAT back up.
Saturday was the Foresters in Forest Row near E.Grinstead. Funny little place, got there at 7.30ish and most of the punters there were already pissed which was worrying. Still we set up and cracked on, singer got given a bunch of flowers at half time which was bizarre but got a good laugh from us all and again despite the minimal rehearsal time we pretty much cracked it. A lot were sat in the smoking area just off the main room but were clapping and cheering from out there. I would post some pics but my mates i-phone camera is crap and they were rubbish....Doh, should have lent him my N95.
These were the first gigs with my rig and it totally kicked ass.......Hartke HA3500+Ashdown 1x15/2x10 set to volume 2!! and almost too loud!

Onwards and upwards

Colin

Woohoo, just played my first wedding gig. OK it was the service, but it paid well - £100 in fact. Not only my best-paid paid gig yet, but also my shortest! :lol: We did FOUR songs. Meaning the groom paid £75 each time we played.

Anyway, it was acoustic guitar, drums and me :) Was really cool playing with 2 world-class musicians. Time Cooke the drummer who has played huge stuff. I mean proper huge. Plays 'newday' - 6000+ people. Is playing 'Soul Survivor' this year - 25,000+ people over 3 weeks. The guitarist/singer Martin Cooper who has released a solo instrumental album, and has played with Paul Oakley and a load of other people.

So here I am, the little bassist who has probably never held £100 in cash before, suggesting we should play a E/B instead of E/A to make it more melodic. :D :rolleyes: ...and they listened!!

Thankfully we got paid before (and made jokes about having £20 taken away for each muck-up ;)), which is great cos it wasn't like "hey I know you just got married, but we want money!" It was a good crowd :rolleyes: of about 300(?) people there. Had a blast, and am very grateful that I am a kind of '2nd call' kind of person (behind Mark Prentice, but probably in front of Les Moir and Paul Stevens!! - google them).

A success! Didn't get to the buffet before the guests :D

Had a really crappy one on Sat.
It was a 60th birthday party in a marquee and due ot the good weather most people stayed outside until really late.
Still, free bear and a BBQ made it a nice, relaxed evening.
Just a shame about the 3 hour drive home.

Highlight of the night was this lady. No, she wasn't drunk but did come across as rather horny. I wont go in to it here but lets just say the small talk was quite different to what we are used to ;-).

I had my camera on my amp so it was quite low down. Very surprised how clean the sound came out although that wasn't the intention as we were already using my Roland digital recorder to record the gig.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='533929' date='Jul 6 2009, 04:59 PM']Ooph I hope she had drawers on. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Oh yes, and most people in the room can testify to that. I do have more footage proving it but cant be bothered to post it.
Its a shame our singer was standing in the way because it got a lot more interesting just out of camera range :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='533917' date='Jul 6 2009, 04:51 PM']Still, free [color="#FF0000"]bear[/color] and a BBQ made it a nice, relaxed evening.[/quote]

Yogi, Pooh, Paddington? More to the point what did you do with the "free bear"?

You didn't put it on the BBQ did you?

Last Thursday.

A repeat dep booking for a EUB gig. Welsh barn dancing for 80 or so Argentinian teenagers on an English course in a castle ...
Amazing enthusiasm for country dancing - not something we normally see from UK teenagers - but too many E numbers in their dinner, I suspect, as they just refused to listen to the instructions for the first half and just freestyled around whooping.

They calmed down a bit as the evening progressed and the last few dances were much better.

We ended up playing a little concert of Welsh diddly tunes at the end for a few stragglers and the staff and were thanked very nicely by lots of the kids.

I like these gigs cos, in total contrast to Jellied Reels gigs, I take a bare minimum of gear so it ended at 9.30 and I was packed up and rolling 15 minutes later.
:)

Edited by OldGit

Played Moho live in Manchester last night, went well, band is getting tighter all the time (this was out 4th gig) First outing with the Pedulla on the one fretless track in the set, went OK, but it wasn't until I started palying on stage I realised the side markers were bairly visible compared to my previous fretless, dropped on a wrong un at some point but managed to slide back in :)
A few poeple in, better than the last time we played near the uni' (Manchester is like any other uni' area, lacking students at this time of year!)

Got a break for a while now, most of the band are on holiday at some time over the next 4 or 5 weeks, but time is good for writing and learning a few covers cos we got a private gig where we will be playing our regular set plus a few more covers

Wrecked this morning!!!!!

Tony

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='540881' date='Jul 15 2009, 12:27 AM']Just played my first gig with my SVT sounded epic.

Was warm after is that right? not really hot but warm including the jack lead.[/quote]

I don't know for sure .. but if you play in the winter dont take it into the cold night too soon. I've only had solid state amps after being a guitard for umpteen years. A bass playing friend told me that you can crack the valves with extremes of temperature.

It may be an urban myth ... I don't know? :)

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='540882' date='Jul 15 2009, 12:38 AM']I don't know for sure .. but if you play in the winter dont take it into the cold night too soon. I've only had solid state amps after being a guitard for umpteen years. A bass playing friend told me that you can crack the valves with extremes of temperature.

It may be an urban myth ... I don't know? :)[/quote]

I'm sure it's fine, I'm probably being paranoid.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='540888' date='Jul 15 2009, 12:43 AM']I'm sure it's fine, I'm probably being paranoid.[/quote]

Im sure you're right. My markbass got all hot at a wedding the other week and I convinced myself the fan wasn't working.

As I approach middle age autism is kicking in. It must be a man and bass thing ..

Just going to make sure I turned the oven off ....... :wacko:

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='540890' date='Jul 15 2009, 12:47 AM']Im sure you're right. My markbass got all hot at a wedding the other week and I convinced myself the fan wasn't working.

As I approach middle age autism is kicking in. It must be a man and bass thing ..

Just going to make sure I turned the oven off ....... :wacko:[/quote]

I am being silly, amps get warm.

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='539080' date='Jul 13 2009, 07:46 AM']but it wasn't until I started palying on stage I realised the side markers were bairly visible compared to my previous fretless, dropped on a wrong un at some point but managed to slide back in :)[/quote]

These are good.
[url="http://www.fretlord.com/glowdotz.htm"]http://www.fretlord.com/glowdotz.htm[/url]
Easy to see dots, white in daylight and gently glowing on stage
The stick on over your side markers. You can feel them but it's worth it.
About £13 delivered from the states, and alot cheaper than SIMS leds :rolleyes:

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='540881' date='Jul 15 2009, 12:27 AM']Just played my first gig with my SVT sounded epic.

Was warm after is that right? not really hot but warm including the jack lead.[/quote]

OK,OK, OK, but how was the SX with the actives??

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='541635' date='Jul 15 2009, 09:14 PM']Was really good, I didn't play with the EQ too much o it sounded the same but it felt more responsive.[/quote]

Cool You should be able to get oooodles of bass out of that now, specially through your hot amp.