Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Nothing impressive as BurritoBass. a local hotel, small but a good sound. our Keyboard is not well. threw up during the set. he has lost two stone in the last couple of months and is convinced he has cancer, the NHS is so slow so he is paying £400 for a scan. the sad thing is going private means you are using the sane scanner as the NHS but jumping the queue. so pushing other people back.

Edited by beerdragon

[quote name='beerdragon' post='648473' date='Nov 8 2009, 12:34 AM']Nothing impressive as BurritoBass. a local hotel, small but a good sound. our Keyboard is not well. threw up during the set. he has lost two stone in the last couple of months and is convinced he has cancer, the NHS is so slow so he is paying £400 for a scan. the sad thing is going private means you are using the sane scanner has the NHS but jumping the queue. so pushing other people back.[/quote]

Christ I hope he is ok. My old man fell ill about 8 weeks ago. He was 69 and generally indestructable. He died 3 weeks ago tonight and I am still completely numb and in shock.

I haven't really been here or anywhere else for the last three weeks. My band has been using a dep as I don't want to leave my wife or 3 kids alone for 1 minute.

Im going to try and push on but I really loved the old bastard.

Im 41 next week and 3 weeks later can end up in tears at the drop of a hat.

sh*t ....

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='648494' date='Nov 8 2009, 01:29 AM']Christ I hope he is ok. My old man fell ill about 8 weeks ago. He was 69 and generally indestructable. He died 3 weeks ago tonight and I am still completely numb and in shock.

I haven't really been here or anywhere else for the last three weeks. My band has been using a dep as I don't want to leave my wife or 3 kids alone for 1 minute.

sh*t ....[/quote]

Sorry man. 69 is no great age. my dad is still around at 89, apart from being totally deaf and never sleeps from the tinnitus he's still good. life's a bitch.

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='648494' date='Nov 8 2009, 01:29 AM']Christ I hope he is ok. My old man fell ill about 8 weeks ago. He was 69 and generally indestructable. He died 3 weeks ago tonight and I am still completely numb and in shock.

sh*t ....[/quote]
That's really sad man. Try to keep positive. I wouldn't imagine your dad would want you feel like this.

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='648494' date='Nov 8 2009, 01:29 AM']Im 41 next week and 3 weeks later can end up in tears at the drop of a hat.[/quote]
Been there 8 years ago. I was still having 'no warning' weepy fits six months later. Slightly embarrassing when you're down the pub.

It's a life-changing experience - affects different people in different and (sometimes) unexpected ways. Fine now, but probably should have signed up for bereavement counselling, rather than trying to tough it out. Could have saved a lot of time.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' date='Nov 8 2009, 02:01 AM' post='648502']
Been there 8 years ago. I was still having 'no warning' weepy fits six months later. Slightly embarrassing when you're down the pub.

It's a life-changing experience - affects different people in different and (sometimes) unexpected ways. Fine now, but I probably should have signed up for bereavement counselling, rather than trying to tough it out. Could have saved a lot of time.
[/quote

My problem is I thought my old man was indestructable. Small Cell Lung Cancer killed him in 6 weeks start to finish, He had been ill but obviously kept it quiet. His Father was at Dunkirk and then murdered in 1943 embarking on a Greek beach. My kids worshipped him .. and so did I. f*** ....

Played an open air party last night.

First set was brilliant, second set not so brilliant, mostly due to one of the guitards playing just about every intro in a toe curlingly awful fashion. A few real Les Dawson moments.

I've never played with gloves on before. They were thermal fingerless mittens, my wife reckons I looked like steptoe.

Played the Crimea Tavern in Castleford last night and whilst it was not packed out we managed to keep a decent audience all night and had a cracking gig.

The venue is an average sized pub but they have a cracking in house pa ( two huge bass bins and four mackie srm450 tops with a 32 channel mixer ) complete with their own sound engineer who gave us plenty of time for a very thorough sound check and kept it loud and pumping all night.

Great gig and looking forward to returning in 2010 :)

We played last night at The Betsey Trotwood in London. Completely acoustic! No mics, nothing. No chatting in that crowd! I thought we were good and I got the biggest cheer when the band was introduced. The bass player from the headline band was better than me but then I've only been on the upright a few months. My second gig since I started battling cancer so I can only look at it as a complete success. Tired today mind!

Red Lion Stubbington. One of those nights for me really. Couldn't get into it. Played cr@p. Bass sounded cr@p to me. And yet still people were saying it was a good gig, the sound was good, etc., etc.

The Blackstar HT Dual proved a complete non starter for what I was trying to do.

Mildly pee'd off at the end of the evening having got there early to unload the PA from the van and then helped load it all again at the end of the night, and yet [i]certain[/i] parties just stood and watched when it got to getting my gear out to the car.

And then to cap it all the wiper motor went on my car on the way home so I had to call out the recovery service and get towed home. Just back now :) Added to which I am supposed to be taking MrsW to one of her old school chums birthday party in Eastbourne tomorrow, but I am going to have to start the day getting the car towed to a garage to be fixed and sorting out a courtesy car, which will no doubt be some rubbish 2 cylinder 1 Ltr bar'o'cr@p. Double :rolleyes:

Edited by WalMan

Not many people there - knew most of the audience by name... However, it was a chance to have a little live trot-out for the ad-hoc blues band (minus our gobiron player, who's recovering from pneumonia). And the interval band was me and Mrs Zero - we haven't done any gigs since August or so, so half an hour or so was a good opportunity to play out and for Mrs Zero to regain her confidence.

Played at the Carlisle Blues Festival on Saturday night or more accurately Sunday morning. My blues band OV8 played after the headline acts had finished – we went on at about 12.30 and did two 45 minute sets and then jammed with some of the main acts until about ten past three.

Apparently I was on stage with some famous people but not being a proper blues person, I’m fooked if I know who they were. Connie Lush got up and did a couple of songs with us – I know Val quite well from my mate John being her guitarist for donkey’s years.

The other people who got up and jammed were Ian Siegal, Earl Thomas, Mark Butcher and a few others I can’t remember.

It was one of the best gigs I’ve ever done – there was a fantastic atmosphere and we got a lot of great feedback and an invite to play a festival in Holland. A few people said we were the best band on that day which is quite a compliment.

Got to bed about 5.30, got up at 9, had breakfast and drove for two hours straight to a four hour rehearsal with my other band.

I don’t look good today :) .

Did a private party on Saturday night for a music/drama school, but the audience was reduced because lots of people got tickets to go and see one of their pupils in X-factor. Not sure who, but it isn't the pathetic twins. ( they did tell me, but I don't watch it, so means nothing to me ). The rest of the audience weren't really our target demographic.

[quote name='chrisba' post='656054' date='Nov 16 2009, 04:15 PM']Did a private party on Saturday night for a music/drama school, but the audience was reduced because lots of people got tickets to go and see one of their pupils in X-factor. Not sure who, but it isn't the pathetic twins. ( they did tell me, but I don't watch it, so means nothing to me ). The rest of the audience weren't really our target demographic.[/quote]

So what you're saying is that your target demographic is X-factor fans?

I wouldn't put that on your CV, if I were you :)

S.P.

Achieved the unthinkable and outnumbered the audience. We're a three-piece :)

OK, there were mitigating circumstances, like no-one knowing the bar was open except us and the staff (not sure all of the staff were sure either), the night not having been promoted, it being in a bloody hard to find place anwyay, and a few of our usual folks being unable to make it due to distance. Upside is that the staff (who outnumbered customers to a greater extent than even we than we did) really enjoyed it, especially the chef it would seem (always a good sign), and we were on pretty good form musically. All in all a good rehearsal. And very nice food :rolleyes:

C

Edited by Beedster

Sounds like you had a great time Chris :) . It reminds me of a similar gig we did about 1 year or so ago. We'd just done a local celeb wedding at the Tower Ballroom in Blackpool - it was our Wembley, a stunning venue playing to about 6-800 people.

The following night we played at the Strawberry Gardens in Fleetwood to one drunk and two members of staff. The manager was so embarrassed, he went upstairs and dragged his kids out of bed to come and watch. It ended up being a lot of fun but talk about coming back to earth with a bump...sheesh..

Great gig at our first time at the Thornhill Arms in Stanningley near Leeds

Brilliant little pub with a very live music orientated landlord and clientele that lots of local bands enjoy playing

Lots of good comments on facebook this morning from local musicians in the audience which is always nice to hear

Full day of rehearsal to look forward to on Thursday with 7 new songs ( plus the xmas ones ) to sort then gigs Fri and Sat, lovely stuff !! :)