Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Crap gig. we were ok. venue appauling. Landlord to busy boozing to show any respect to band or his punters. End of the night did not want to pay agreed amount. i am such a reasonable person, but this guy i wish a whole heap of sh*t on. The Talbot Inn Heath Hayes Near Cannock. Stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Sunday night depping gig with Funkifive ( some of my ex band mates from SOUL7 ) so knew most of the stuff without needing to rehearse at the Duke of Leeds at New Mill near Holmfirth ( last of the summer wine country )

Nice chilled out gig with a reasonably receptive crowd and it was so nice to be a "passenger" in set up and strip down instead of rushing about for an hour to sort PA, lights, sound etc

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='754636' date='Feb 23 2010, 07:12 AM']Sunday night depping gig with Funkifive ( some of my ex band mates from SOUL7 ) so knew most of the stuff without needing to rehearse at the Duke of Leeds at New Mill near Holmfirth ( last of the summer wine country )

Nice chilled out gig with a reasonably receptive crowd and it was so nice to be a "passenger" in set up and strip down instead of rushing about for an hour to sort PA, lights, sound etc[/quote]

Does Anne still run the place?

I've just played my first proper gig in 6 years...
Because of my lovey unsociable work schedule i can't commit to being in a band so it's just widdling in the spare room and meeting up for random jams here and there,.
A couple of chaps who i do a fair bit of work for have a band and their bassist left recently so they asked if I was up for a gig or few.
They sent the set list to me, i learned the ones i didn't know, we had one practice and lined a few gigs up.
The gig tonight was just a local pub in Bucks, but they seemed to be pleased to have us, as did the pub's regulars.
It was just nice to actually be able to play in front of someone again, and also justify spending so much money on gear!!!!
Love it.
My next gig is playing a set at my own wedding in May...

Friday night was a blues gig in Bury with Junkhouse Dog. It was dire - the band were below par and the audience wasn't interested - apart from a few.

Saturday night was the complete opposite. My main band - The Silver Dogs played at The Ace Centre in Nelson - it's a lively little theatre with a fantastic sound system which was full apart from a handful of seats. The band was absolutely cooking and we went down a storm. Here's a few snaps I took during set-up.

Edited by niceguyhomer

Had a great gig last night. Depping (which may become a permenant place) for a local covers band, who get way more gigs than my current band and that's a big temptation.

Anyway, had two rehersals with them and then in at the deep end. The singer can go off at all sorts of tangents so it's a bit of a challenge, but damn good fun. It went really well but I did drop the ball a couple of times, getting lost in a song but I managed to work around it. Had to keep my eye on the the other guys in the band a fair chunk of the time as I didn't feel confident enough to go a bit wild, so I was a bit static..well for while :)

The band were happy with my performance and I had some good backslaps from the audience lurkers at the end. All in all, I'm really pleased.

Oh and I used my Shuker JJB (ex-Clarky) for the first time live and was very happy with it. I found it extremely playable, especially with chrome flats. Having been a roundwound guy for all my years, this is quite a change but they just feel so quick under the fingers.

I am so bummed out by last night's gig.

I am in two bands, both newly formed. This was band 1's first gig together. We were support for a band who had hired the venue. It was their party, but they were totally cool about it. Of the ten people I was expecting, four showed. Thanks "friends"! But of the 100 or so people in total that were expected, about 50 came.

What really upset me was how we played. We have had problems with our drummer since day one. Put simply, he can't play. In more depth, he can't keep a beat. His tempo can go from 50-180 bpm during a 120bpm song and he will regularly miss changes, fluff up and count himself back in again (this will happen during most songs, not once in a while). We keep him because he occasionally shows adequacy, and because it is so difficult to find a drummer. I think you can guess how it went, and yes, the audience [i]did [/i]notice - these were [b]not [/b]small errors that only musicians would pick up on..

The headliners came on and rocked. They have a good drummer. The rest of the musicians in the band are beginners, but the band pulled it off. Our band has, without a doubt, better musicians and a better setlist and better songs, but they sounded ten times better because their band had a good and steady beat. They made a few errors and the audience clearly [i]did not[/i] notice - these were small errors that only musicians would pick up on.

I'm rambling here a bit, but I'm upset. I wanted to feel humbled up on stage last night, but I feel humiliated instead. Thank God I have another band with a good drummer and a good gig somewhere out there on the horizon.

Had a good gig although the venue was a little quiet - probably around 100. The manager came up and apologised afterwards stressing that everyone who turned up had a great time and he heard lot's of compliments about the band, which is something....i.e. for nthe manager to apologise for the lacl of audience and not blame it on the band!

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='766629' date='Mar 7 2010, 07:00 AM']What really upset me was how we played. We have had problems with our drummer since day one. Put simply, he can't play. In more depth, he can't keep a beat. His tempo can go from 50-180 bpm during a 120bpm song and he will regularly miss changes, fluff up and count himself back in again (this will happen during most songs, not once in a while).[/quote]

Well, you just wrote my review of our gigs this weekend as well.
I hate the fact that these sort of things effect my playing. I learn the songs the right way then have to play them differently at gigs because my drummer doesn't have a clue.

My gig last night? Well, I don't think the audience noticed much, but harsh truths must be faced. A meeting is called for.

A gig notable only for our inexplicable and unplanned rendition of Route 66 as a country two-step. The blank bewilderment on all our faces was a joy to behold.

• 2 weeks later...

Played the 12 Bar tonight in Tin Pan Alley - we went on later than planned as a result of a surprise warm-up session at start of evening by 80s psychobilly icons King Kurt, ahead of their first original-line-up-gig since 1984 tomorrow! Was great to see them play and ensured there was a decent crowd in too

Despite the usual unscheduled bloopers in our set, we played pretty well overall and had an appreciative audience .... including BC's very own Musky (aka Roger) who kindly pitched up with his better half. Cheers Musky, lovely to meet you!

oww oww oww My ears hurt

Barn dance leaving do for a lecturer in a uni hall gig bar.
I've played the room before - about 100 years ago and with a different band with a 4k PA. It was fine.....

[b]Seriously Terrible[/b] sound in the room. We took twice as long to sound check 'cos we tried the normal way - play, adjust a bit, play adjust a bit. 5 mins and sorted.
Not this time. We had to reset everything to zero and do it from scratch. Still struggled.
Punter was very please, everyone danced but our witty repartee was lost in the mush as was my bass, even though I have a GRAMMA pad.
The stage was booming like mad with everything with any bass in it. Drums were padded right down but still boomy.

Aaargh!

Anyway we still had a good gig but it was about 400% harder to achieve..

Our guitarist summed it up: that room is fine if you are playing very quietly or very loudly but not midway like us..

Ho hum...

hmmm..first set was nervous..if that is the right word...
and I can't explain that at all. I used to do these in my sleep, but this is my gig and my band..as much as it can be, and maybe because we had to fill a new venue, this is harder that I expected. Once we settled down, we had a great time and the second set was almost a stormer... if more people had been there, then it would have been..no doubt about that.
We got into the groove, the landlord loved it and so did the crowd. We will get a repeat booking for sure, but you can't argue with numbers. Last week's band had double the people but covered that by inviting a support band to help with crowd numbers. I actually prefered the support band and they had more about them..the main band were incessant with the type of songs they played and NO respite whatsover and no change of pace.... but with the best will in the world, what counts to most places is turnout. I face a battle with the others about our rates for the repeat gig. I want to support this new venue and fancy a basic fee plus bonus if we pull in the crowd.
They will want the going rate....

Hard hard work...

Music, not the problem though..

Last night was pretty good! First well attended gig for my nu-soul covers band at The Wardrobe in Leeds. Sound was a bit dodgy for a while but it smoothed out eventually. Disgustingly sweaty, prompting much stripping down - me and a couple of the others ended up looking like a token boyband (albeit a bad one) when we found ourselves in matching black vests. Oh dear.

Anyway, it was still well received. Kept hearing compliments all night afterwards.*

[i]*As the College of Music is just across the road, there were plenty of students there. Apparently, in the toilets one was overheard saying to the other (supposedly in a bid to cheer him up): 'Mate, don't worry about it. We'll be as good as that by third year.'

I was beside myself with laughter when I heard about it.[/i]

[quote name='JTUK' post='781038' date='Mar 20 2010, 06:55 PM']I face a battle with the others about our rates for the repeat gig. I want to support this new venue and fancy a basic fee plus bonus if we pull in the crowd.
They will want the going rate....

Hard hard work...

Music, not the problem though..[/quote]

Yeah I get a tad nervous as the band's gig organiser. It can take me a while to settle down if there's something not quite right about it..

Do your band mates bring loads of audience or do they expect you to bring everyone? BTDT....

Edited by OldGit