Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played a tribute to Free gig last night with Stealer at High Barn in Essex.

What a fantastic venue - real pro set up - great front of house sound.

The place was full with punters from far and wide and the response was terrific - standing ovation at the end.

I was very pleased by a comment from the sound engineer stating that my bass sound - bottom end was one of the best he had ever heard at the venue - Mark Bass Rig and SG EB3.

[attachment=41554:P1300009.zip]

Edited by steantval

Playe my 1st gig in about 18 months,on friday.New line up etc.
2 bands Ripped Apart/Pier 54 .
Not many people there (january/recession/no smoking?)
We went down well . Seem to get on ok with the locals .

We played 1st (R A ) Think they preferred us. Waiting to see if we can get in to the already full diary.

Had a gig with the big band ([url="http://swingshiftbigband.co.uk"]swingshift[/url]) last night... in a car showroom!!

It's a charity fund raiser that we've done for the past few years (the guy who owns the garage is part of the committe, so offers it as the venue).

Band sounded great, a good night was had by all and I was reasonably pleased with the way I'd played (which is unusual) - even had a couple of bass players come and positively comment on my playing and technique which was a very welcome surprise :)

Played at an ace wedding in Grassington in the Yorkshire Dales last night.
We do loads of weddings but this one was just one of those 'if Carlsberg did weddings ' type of gigs.
Lovely couple&guests, great venue (Devonshire Town Hall)in a superb location, free bar etc etc.
Wish they were all like this.

played the Old Blue Last, london on thursday last week.

it was packed because we were supporting a band which featured members of big bands.

in the photo it looks pretty empty but that was because i was on the floor because the other bands refused to move their stuff to the side for me.

the crowd was to the left and stage to the right.

we were horrendously late (turned up when we were meant to be on stage) and in the process of loading in my amp got wet and is now broken. I had to borrow a trace elliot, good god it sounded disgusting. but still a good gig which we've had a lot of good feedback from.

[quote name='matt_citizenbass' post='731889' date='Feb 1 2010, 04:35 PM']played the Old Blue Last, london on thursday last week.

it was packed because we were supporting a band which featured members of big bands.

in the photo it looks pretty empty but that was because i was on the floor because the other bands refused to move their stuff to the side for me.

we were horrendously late (turned up when we were meant to be on stage) and in the process of loading in my amp got wet and is now broken. I had to borrow a trace elliot, good god it sounded disgusting. but still a good gig which we've had a lot of good feedback from.[/quote]

Not a bad place to play, I played with Kit there recently. Great crowd too, pretty much full. Good sound, [size=1]tiny[/size] stage.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='matt_citizenbass' post='731889' date='Feb 1 2010, 04:35 PM']played the Old Blue Last, london on thursday last week.

we were horrendously late (turned up when we were meant to be on stage) and in the process of loading in my amp got wet and is now broken. I had to borrow a trace elliot, good god it sounded disgusting. but still a good gig which we've had a lot of good feedback from.[/quote]

I live just around the corner from that venue yet ive not been there for years. It always seemed to be very crowded on a Friday night.
We used to go and see the house band after the strippers pubs. Oh to be young again.

[quote]Good sound, tiny stage.[/quote]

yeah, the sound was amazing! it would have been better had we turned up to soundcheck!

[quote]I live just around the corner from that venue yet ive not been there for years. It always seemed to be very crowded on a Friday night.
We used to go and see the house band after the strippers pubs. Oh to be young again.[/quote]

yeah, there was actually a queue outside by the time we finished playing, there was a clubnight on after the gig so it was a nightmare loading out!

[quote name='matt_citizenbass' post='731909' date='Feb 1 2010, 04:51 PM']yeah, there was actually a queue outside by the time we finished playing, there was a clubnight on after the gig so it was a nightmare loading out![/quote]

It seems like every other door way in that area is a "club" now.

I hate those sort of places as far as loading in and out goes. Saying that, ive not played a pub in about 5 years.

[quote name='leonshelley01' post='708423' date='Jan 11 2010, 01:01 AM']Just played in a Battle of the Bands type affair. Didn't get through (didn't expect to as it was one pint, one vote and we didn't go mob handed) but a good night as we've been offered a few gigs at some local venues. Bloody sound limiter box was a pain in the harris though... drummers always trip them![/quote]

A BOTB in a place with a sound limiter?
Doh!

It was our first gig of 2010 last night (did 6 gigs between August & December last year) - did ok, but we were a bit ring rusty.

Hardly surprising, given that we've only had one proper rehearsal this year following a recording session the week before. The weather put the kybosh on any of us getting together prior to that. Am just hoping the weather will hold off from now on as we could do with regular rehearsals happening now to bring us back up to scratch!

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

Last night was in a word...sh*te. A 45 mile drive to play to 12 people - 5 of which were the support band. By the time we came to do our second set, there was only two people in the place so we just had a 40 minute blues jam session with the other band which was actually quite brilliant.

I think my days with the blues band may be numbered - it's no fun playing to empty places.

Great gig last night at The 6 Bells in Chiddingly, East Sussex! It was absolutely packed and a very mixed age range in the audience, from teenagers upwards..

We do 'Use Somebody' by The Kings of Leon and that song gets the most amazing reaction from people..the place was going crazy!!

As it was our first gig since New Years Eve, we played pretty badly in the first set, but managed to pick it up in the second. Our keyboard player is going to Australia now for 2 months as he's getting married over there, so no more gigs until the end of April..

All in all, a good night! :)

Duck and Drake in Leeds last night and we played well and had a decent sized crowd who seemed to really enjoy it. According to legend Mark Knopfler used to play it regularly when he worked at the Yorkshire Post in Leeds.

Last gig next week with our guitarist who is moving on ( to do what I am not really sure ) but we have been very lucky and have been approached by an awesome local legend ( at rehearsal last week he was doubling up on keyboards and lead/ryhthm at the same time !! ) who will take us up several notches when we start gigging with him the week after.

Should be fun :)