Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

your right.we were supposed to be doing another wedding next saturday but when our guitarist phoned the groom to find out what time we had to be there the bloke said oh i've been meaning to phone you weve changed our minds and are having a dj for £80

just had an interview/ live set on spark fm.... well by live set i mean we werent able to use amps so it ended up being one guitarist with an acoustic and the singer, and by interview i mean the 5 of us acting like prats and giggling like little girls while the lass "presenter" didnt really know what she was doing.

we alla actually had a really fun time, ended up pretty much talking crap on air for an hour and a half.

singer: "oh, so this is live and being recorded? well can i just go on record as saying boobs"

I played (drums) a beer festival on Saturday. It was in an outdoor dealy under a little tent, and we were camping over so could enjoy some beer. We were told it's be free beer for us as payment, but that turned out to be 2 free pints, which turned into cash wouldn't have bought the petrol there! Also we're pretty heavy and the crowd was quite "family orientated". Still, it went OK, but i'm thinking that next time I have to do an hour long set on the drums in sweltering heat I might avoid the 4 pints before hand.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='858665' date='Jun 6 2010, 09:37 AM']Last night's in Idle was incident free , though enjoyable , but Thurs in Baildon was memorable for me knocking over a flood light and setting fire to the pub.

Anyone playing there (The Malt Shovel) the black patch in the carpet is my fault !![/quote]

Wish I'd know, I'd have come up. That's about 200 yards from where I live!

[quote name='OldGit' post='859003' date='Jun 6 2010, 04:16 PM']Two days later I get an email telling me I play too many notes for the material and I'd have to really cut down if I wanted to join? Eh? I wasn't auditioning matey and anyway, YOU failed my audition ...[/quote]

S'always a laugh isn't it OG. Damn you and your too many notes!

[quote name='Toasted' post='860852' date='Jun 8 2010, 12:01 PM']S'always a laugh isn't it OG. Damn you and your too many notes![/quote]

ha ha
Well at the start there was just me and a drummer so I played bass and chords so the guy could try and sing. Maybe he meant that.

Tell you what, I spent a good week learning his tunes well, re-arranged Mrs oldGit's yoga night, went round and helped him out (for free) and, a week later, he's not even emailed me to say ta.
Next time it will be for MU rates.

My band had our first two gigs recently, both went quite well. They were both in the same venue, the first one I used someone else's cab and wish I hadn't. It was a compact 410 and was too low to hear anything out of. The sound guy also plugged me straight into a DI, bypass the amp totally and he refused to put anything through the monitors. Second gig (remember, same venue), I used my own cab, which was infinitely better for starters and we had a different sound guy, who MIC'd up the bass cab and did whatever we asked with the monitors and my word it sounded f***ing massive. I don't recall sound guys mic'ing up bass much these days?! They should do...

Anyway, fully enjoyed both gigs. Our set is only 15-20 minutes (5 songs, average 3 minutes each, we've just written a couple of new ones though) but I think it'll definitely be worth taking my own cab to all gigs in the future, even if it is a tiny bit of a ballache, it's worth it actually knowing what sound you're going to have.

Edited by whimsy23

I filled in with a house band hosting a jam session on Sun afternoon. Usually lots of bass players turn up so I thought it would be easy money. Turned out I was the only out and out bass player there, ended up playing 7 or 8 sets with various line ups. Totally knackered by the end of it...

Played the Ye Olde John O Gaunt in Lancaster town centre on Sunday night. A really nice quaint pub with a good live music scene. Not massively busy to be honest, but the crowd all stayed to watch us and all sang along which was great fun. A nice way to end a gig run, as we're having a band break while I get ready for the new baby arrival :)

First gig with the prog covers side project & went pretty well. Few cock ups by me but wifey didn't notice (like she would!).

Good sized crowd :) which we weren't quite expecting, and prog fans as well so appreciative throughout, which was nice.

First gig with the L2500 fretless, which sounded lovely to my ears.

Got the the end of the first number (intended to be a sound check, but ended up as the first number anyway) and got a call through the monitors to turn the bass down on stage from the sound-man :rolleyes: Oops! It was only on just after 9 o'clock so had to go even further down - and the basses were all rolled back to around halfway as well.

I managed to shave the top off my left middle finger with a potato peeler on Friday .. oooouch!.

Last night... Our annual barn dance during the village scarecrows weekend in the squeezebox bloke's village in Wilts.

Sadly yesterday morning the drummer's sis in law died so he couldn't come.

He plays drums and does BV's but he also stores and transports the mains power infrastructure, PA shelf rack all the PA mixer, amps, radio stuff etc bits go on, PA speakers and half the lights/lighting cables .. So we had to cobble gear together from various sources. Managed it though :)

All our deps were out, abroad or too costly for a small fee fundraiser up against Eng-a-lands first World Cup game so we decided to play without drums. That's not as challenging for us as it might be for a straight rock band. Me and the Squeezer have even done duo barn dances in the past...

Half an hour before load in time we got volunteer drummer lad from the village. 16, 2 years playing experience (mostly on bass, it had to be said) floppy hair but thankfully no saggies... He turned up with his Roland lekkie kit, assembled, over his shoulder :rolleyes:

We upgraded his 20 watt amp to a 150 watter which we pointed at his right ear as a drum monitor, then the other ear got a normal monitor so he could hear us. Patched his kit into the PA and monitors and off we went

Well this kid was great, played really well but sadly he didn't speak muso :lol: All of his experience was with over rehearsed punk originals bands where the cues were well known. So the universal signs for slow down and stop were foreign to him, as were rock n roll endings numbers 1-99....

Funny how you forget a tune has a tricky arrangement 'til you have to communicate it to someone on the fly :lol:

Generally OK except he was keen on playing just a bit faster than the tune was going which lead to some interesting moments for the dancers and us as we all tried to reign him it...
He even did a solo :lol:

Anyway we didn't tell anyone he was a stand in 'til the end when they went wild including his dad giving a giant "embarrassing dad" hug in front of everyone :lol:

Another storming gig for the Jellies.

With no full drum kit the sound was very quiet on stage :lol: That was nice as everything very audible but very weird. We've only done a few with our regular drummer's lekkie kit and it takes a bit of getting used to and a much longer sound check to sort it properly.

Anyway I played a couple of tune on my Japanese Precision bass which now has it special pickup and wiring from Jon Shuker.. It was a nice bass before now it's loads better :lol: Very pleased with that.

Edited by OldGit

Played the Grey Horse in Kingston on Saturday night. I'll quote from our guitarist as he's put it so well.

"I've got to say that The Grey Horse is a great venue. It doesn't seem like it should be a great venue. The lighting is not great. There are no follow spots...no lasers...no smoke machines. There are some seats that make it look at times like you might be at a school play. There is just a mic in the kick drum and mics on the vocals. It shouldn't be this good. But you know what...the place is magic. We've played there twice now and each time something happens between us and the audience and together we manage to rip the roof off. It starts with apprehension and a ripple of excitement and by the end we are all dripping with the thrill of the show. A proper Saturday-night-forget-all-your-troubles rock show. Maybe it's just my imagination cause I was delirious after gulping down honey (don't ask) and yelping through a fast and furious hour long set (with a genuine encore!). I can't say it'll happen every time we play. We just hope it does."

The most enjoyable gig I've played. The audience were right up for it. We showboated spontaneously and with abandon and played like demons. The Orange/TC rig sounded amazing and I was grinning from ear to ear all the way through. I wish all gigs were like this. I couldn't sleep I was on such a high afterwards.

Headlining the Half Moon, Putney Saturday 24th July next. Can't wait. :)

We played BikerFest this weekend for the third year running. Easily the best year, beautiful weather so I could legitimately wear sunglasses on stage! I was told it was about 1,500 people that showed up (although I expect not just for us!) Great sound guy, great other bands.

But...The best thing was when we showed up, we found out there would be female dancers (BikerFest Babes) joining us on stage! :)
Never been so distracted in all my life!

Only just got back from doing a gig at the horns in watford. I got absolutely smashed and just about stumbled on stage, managed to play okay though...

*forgot to add, another band borrowed my bass and the screw that holds the strap button came off. great...

Edited by deathpanda

[quote name='Mog' post='875022' date='Jun 23 2010, 12:57 AM']It was stolen and you got it back??? Please tell me you did a wee jig on that guy. (or girl)[/quote]

Haha unfortunately I haven't found the person who stole it not that I care anymore, see [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=91971&st=0"]here[/url]

party for a hospital department including everyone from surgeons to porters and all between.
For some the party had obviously stared long before we arrived and they really didn't want to be corralled into formal barn dances were they had to actually listen, follow instructions and do it more or less right...
No probs, we'll just morph into our covers band persona and play all the cowboy songs we know whilst they go outside to drink, chat and enjoy the fine clear full moon evening.

After the Dog Roast food break they went for it but freestyle not called dances. This included stage invading, all sorts of swinging malarkey and crashing about with drinks, water pistols and some fantastic "northern soul" solo man dancing...

So a room full of sheriffs and fairly well oiled Daisy Dukes in hats and check shirts all out for fun...

Our guitarist summed it up:

"After last night's fun and games, I wonder if we need an FAQ entry on the website explaining that we are not a Country and Western band, but if attractive women wish to wear tight denim shorts whilst dancing we would have no ideological issues with that? "

I played in my new blues Rock Band on Thursday night supporting P-A-U-L (great american blues rock guitarist). PAUL is playing this Sunday on the Bourbon street stage at Glastonbury.

Great bloke and great band. It was nice to support.

Edited by neilb

Thank the lord - after a run of rubbish gigs with virtually no audience, we played the Archway Tavern in North London this evening and it was a cracker. Decent sized vocal and appreciative audience - reminded me why I started this gigging lark in the first place :)

Firstr gig back with my main band since the op in April, and at our favourite gig in Chichester.

Bit quieter than usual because
[list=1]
[*]it was the start of the Chichester festivities so there was a procession & fireworks up the road
[*]it was so bleedin' hot & a lot of people were outside.
[/list]
That said it was still a fair crowd & a good night. New landlord was well pleased. To me things felt very slow (but weren't as the drummer starts us off with a metronome). IEM battery went flat fourth song into the first set, so ended up getting what I could from the PA. All of which sounds like it was not so great, but actually it went OK and finished on a high.

Now then. Bed & an earlyish start for the London Bash

Did a barn gig at the weekend.Ended up standing on a concrete floor all night,just me and my rig,while the rest of the band were confined to an adapted car inspection ramp which had been fitted with a makeshift stage (no room for poor wee me!)Proceeded then to blow the shoite out of 2 of the 4 drivers on my 4x10 Trace Elliot cab (Strange,why just 2 ???)Hmm.Anyway got home at 4.00 am.All in all,pretty cr4p!