Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

For once I’ve managed to post on the “How was your gig last night” thread, on the day after the night before.  It was a lively night with the pub being pretty much full from when the host band kicked things off.  It was the debut outing for my Rickenbacker.  It got plenty of attention, in the main from the bass players, but a few of the guitarists and one of the drummers also oggled it.   The singer will be back next month, so I’ll probably be back to the shortscale headless to avoid any whacks on the back of her head.

• Like 15

10 hours ago, Simon C said:

For once I’ve managed to post on the “How was your gig last night” thread, on the day after the night before.  It was a lively night with the pub being pretty much full from when the host band kicked things off.  It was the debut outing for my Rickenbacker.  It got plenty of attention, in the main from the bass players, but a few of the guitarists and one of the drummers also oggled it.   The singer will be back next month, so I’ll probably be back to the shortscale headless to avoid any whacks on the back of her head.

Always good to see a Ric on this thread. Stick with the Ric and tell the singer to move over or move forward out of your way.

You'd think a few dunts on the back of his head would be hint enough but i guess that's singers for you :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Played at The Craufurd Arms with Stray last night supported by Bedford’s Thr3e. Really good home crowd and good sound thanks to our recently acquired sound engineer Stuart. I took my 77 Ric into a Bugera MOSFET and Eden 4x10. I always struggle to get a decent on stage bass tone at that venue but apparently it sounded great out front (thanks James!). Cart and Horses in London to come next Saturday!

• Like 18

Another morning after the night before post for you

My mob Yellowhouse played the Essex Riviera with a dep singer. She's done a couple of gigs with us over the last few months with us and it's getting better each time. 

I think this is the best bit of video I've ever seen of my lot. The sound is great and the vocals are immense. It's an old Skunk Anansie song which I've always wanted to play and Susie blows the doors off here....

(Cort A4, Orange 4 Stroke, Laney Digbeth pre on the tube setting and a couple of Barefaced Big Baby cabs for the geeks)

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 26

41 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

Another morning after the night before post for you

My mob Yellowhouse played the Essex Riviera with a dep singer. She's done a couple of gigs with us over the last few months with us and it's getting better each time. 

I think this is the best bit of video I've ever seen of my lot. The sound is great and the vocals are immense. It's an old Skunk Anansie song which I've always wanted to play and Susie blows the doors off here....

(Cort A4, Orange 4 Stroke, Laney Digbeth pre on the tube setting and a couple of Barefaced Big Baby cabs for the geeks)

Very nice vid.

I like those Cort A basses

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lonestar said:

Very nice vid.

I like those Cort A basses

I've had some very posh basses over the years and the Cort is better than all of them. And not even 'for the money's. It's brilliant 

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mudpup said:

It's an old Skunk Anansie song which I've always wanted to play and Susie blows the doors off here....

You can say that again.  What a great voice - loads of character!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Mudpup said:

I think this is the best bit of video I've ever seen of my lot. The sound is great and the vocals are immense. It's an old Skunk Anansie song which I've always wanted to play and Susie blows the doors off here..

She really did, not an easy song, especially as she appeared to have caught fire at one point!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Short run of Everybody’s Talking About Jamie at Number 8 Theatre in Pershore for the towns local youth drama group. Fun show to play, some interesting bass lines and the kids were superb. I have worked on having a super small rig for shows but needed the pedalboard and two cabs for this one. 

IMG_4155.jpeg

• Like 15

So today (yesterday)  I played two gigs with two different bands. First gig was a local bar with in-house PA & engineer. You play on a small corner stage and the acoustics arn’t brilliant with the drums dominating the on stage sound. Result was we made a lot of mistakes and we were well off our best. Anyway, dashed off from that gig to my second gig 30 mins later. Threw our PA and lights into an already packed pub, quick sound check, and on we went. Great gig, great on stage sound, and the punters seemed happy with my FOH mix. Thank god for the Behringer XR18 as the ability to recall saved scenes make setting up on gigs like this a breeze. Oh and we must have done something right as the landlady gave us a little extra in the pay packet 😎

IMG_0193.jpeg

IMG_0194.jpeg

Edited by JPJ
  • Like 20

The Otis Jay Blues Band kicked off 2024 at Ringwood Meeting House, Hants. Four new numbers went pretty well, and with 60 paying punters we beat our previous record by 10!

Was told to ‘turn up the bass’ in the interval… understandably so as I was only using an Elf and BF One10. But ‘going active’ on my Sandberg VM4 gave me the bass boost I needed and apparently the second half had more low end.

Talks of three possible new gigs through this, so quite excited!IMG_6765.jpeg.b6b47f62302190cad9ccd8bcbe174eb1.jpegIMG_6766.thumb.jpeg.58bcf008e1c132070f684a838398ecb0.jpeg

• Like 20

2 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Was told to ‘turn up the bass’ in the interval… understandably so as I was only using an Elf and BF One10. But ‘going active’ on my Sandberg VM4 gave me the bass boost I needed and apparently the second half had more low end

I think you did well there Mick. I have the same amp and cab set up and it’s great in most situations. I did an outside gig with it last summer and had to crank everything to the max to be heard. It was a dream load in, and out, through the farm yard and into the field where the gazebo was, though!

Edited by Len_derby
  • Like 2

Spacewasters gig at The Trinity Bar, Harrow last night, as part of a Shake Some Acton event with four bands on the bill.

Very small stage that, now we’re a 5 piece was cramped to say the least. Being so small onstage sound was poor but having heard the other bands we knew sound out front was good - kudos to the sound man, he was attentive to all the bands all night and didn’t blast the volume to max or make bass drums sound like explosions.

Went very well, lots of applause and cheering, which is always nice, and was home before midnight.

Forgot to mention, the rig I used was a Hartke HA3500 into a Trace Elliot 4x10, was easy to get a very decent sound from it.

be3a24bc-d9bf-4346-9485-9d5aec7bf7aa.jpeg

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 19

10 hours ago, scalpy said:

Short run of Everybody’s Talking About Jamie at Number 8 Theatre in Pershore for the towns local youth drama group. Fun show to play, some interesting bass lines and the kids were superb. I have worked on having a super small rig for shows but needed the pedalboard and two cabs for this one. 

IMG_4155.jpeg

I love those little cabs!
What are they?

• Like 1

Hurtsfall played the O2 Academy in Leicester as part of the first night of HRH Goth 2.

Both myself and our synth player were still less than 100% fit having had to cancel the gig we had on Tuesday. However this was potentially too important to miss and I suspect that only death (our own) would have stopped us playing this one. There was some weird hum/buzz problem that affected two of the bands before us and also our backing and no combination of leads and DI boxes would make it go away. In the end it was EQ'd out at the FoH desk, as there was limited time between bands to set up and to troubleshoot problems. Strangely it only appeared to affect FoH and not the monitors.

Setting up the Bass VI and backing controls:

424678697-851509553613523-68253229847480

And here we are playing our opening song "Lucid":

427719541-851510756946736-68490805099615

Nice big stage, and by the time we were on stage there was a decent sized and vocal audience. I felt a bit sorry for the band that opened the evening who played to less than 50 people and a smattering of polite applause. I could see people dancing and singing along to our better known songs which is always gratifying. And lots of nice comments about our performance afterwards as well as plenty of people asking about when we'll have an album out - we're working on it right now!

And it's always good to see your band's name on the Festival T-Shirt:

427827904-851510780280067-79566834784318

There were several professional photographers in attendance so I hope to be able to post some better photos soon.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, musicbassman said:

That's an interesting looking venue, Mick, but somehow I suspect the acoustics would have been a bit tricky ?

The bass rebounded a bit, so I might take a second cab to elevate it next time and give a bit more headroom at the same time… 

• Like 1

Started the first 2 gigs ( of 4 in Eastern England*) at Norwich Theatre Royal on Thursday.

Due to a number of reasons we hadn’t played this wonderful venue for a number of years,

so was great to return here. Lovely crew and facilities, and a great sell out crowd of 1,300.

Gig went really well although I was feeling a tad under the weather - dropped a couple 

of silly mistakes but styled them out ( I think!).

Friday saw us drive up to The Cresset Theatre in Peterborough. One of our regular gigs,

about 3/4 full and a nice crowd again. Decent 2 hour drive home too, so in around 1am.

* The other two gigs are this coming Friday 23rd in Newark, and Saturday 24th

in Kings Lynn. 

6b2cd5af-fc33-4832-9c24-16d08914dbbb.jpeg

• Like 24

2 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

NVM, found them... they seem to have gone out of business. ☹️

Unfortunately you are correct. I like them for pit work and rehearsals where you don’t have to knock houses down. Same board and amp with my Aggie db112s has much more clout.

• Like 3

A sure fire contender for my favourite venue, Bath's Chapter 22 Roots and Records was host to my humble duo of darkness, Deadlight Dance, last night. Dean and Nic always looks after us. The setting is a record shop in the city centre that also trades in plants. Playing mainly mandocello and mandolin (with a second time on guitar for a song), my basses took a break. We were a little light on audience at first but it didn't take much to fill up the shop. The performance was one of our stronger ones. Honourable mention to co-headliner Steve Mercy. I think it's our 40th show. We walk the line between taking our music very seriously whilst not taking ourselves too seriously at all! People like our onstage chat. Gothic, but more Carry on Screaming meets Hammer Horror rather than anything too po-faced and serious. And if Boss are looking at this post, yes, you should endorse us! 

3d0e47ed-529c-4ec5-83ed-32cfecfe3127.thumb.JPG.8bba21c02ef4a9f6726ed34ea707593c.JPG

Edited by Cat Burrito
typo!
  • Like 19

Played with The 77s at Market House in Maidstone last night. It was our last gig with our outgoing drummer, I thought it might be a bit awkward but it turned out fine.

The place was packed, and we had a really good gig. It’s my favourite place to play locally, I have been playing at the weekly jam night that is held there, but it was nice to play a full gig there.

There were a couple of the other “big” local covers bands playing at other pubs in town, but it didn’t seem to affect our attendance.

we have a dep lined up for our next gig in March, and then nothing currently booked until June whilst we sort out a new drummer.

The only downside was having to load out in torrential rain.

83A176C9-6096-46F4-9ACC-946A1756CB88.jpeg

• Like 18

We drove from Stoke to Margate on Saturday. 5 hours with a couple of stops. Olby's Soul Cafe is a brilliant venue! Great PA and the engineer was brilliant too. Unfortunately the choice of some unknown band from Stoke to headline a night in Margate didn't work out so well. The old story of a local support band bringing most of the crowd, then taking them with them after the set. All that way, writing off two full days, to play to less than 50 people... still, at least we got paid and had a laugh

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

On 18/02/2024 at 13:29, Mickeyboro said:

The Otis Jay Blues Band kicked off 2024 at Ringwood Meeting House, Hants. Four new numbers went pretty well, and with 60 paying punters we beat our previous record by 10!

Was told to ‘turn up the bass’ in the interval… understandably so as I was only using an Elf and BF One10. But ‘going active’ on my Sandberg VM4 gave me the bass boost I needed and apparently the second half had more low end.

Talks of three possible new gigs through this, so quite excited!IMG_6765.jpeg.b6b47f62302190cad9ccd8bcbe174eb1.jpegIMG_6766.thumb.jpeg.58bcf008e1c132070f684a838398ecb0.jpeg

What a weird venue. It must have been like playing to an audience peering over a fence! Was it disconcerting?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Boodang said:

What a weird venue. It must have been like playing to an audience peering over a fence! Was it disconcerting?

Third time there so we are used to it!

Admittedly they won’t be dancing on the spot, but when you’re playing to a packed house (plus a few upstairs) it isn’t too much of an issue. 

Worst bit is playing strung out in a line. Looking at pics I shoulda maybe been closer to the drummer. 

• Like 1