Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

37 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Ooohhh a Pedulla. Don't see many of them about. I'm a bit jealous there.

Dave

Yup…this was a rescue bass in pretty rough condition, brought back and now is a joy to play! Still have an issue to sort out with weak signal from the bridge pickup, but doesn’t stop it from sounding great through the Trace rig.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

Yup…this was a rescue bass in pretty rough condition, brought back and now is a joy to play! Still have an issue to sort out with weak signal from the bridge pickup, but doesn’t stop it from sounding great through the Trace rig.

Always fancied one after seeing Doug Johns vids with it.

Dave

• Like 1

Good gig last night at The Leathan in Portlethen with Nine Lives.  We were well looked after, the band area was already cordoned off with a couple of tables which were labelled as reserved for the band (that's a neat idea!) and were swiftly removed to allow us to crack on and get set up.  I went up to order a few cans of Coke for us and the landlord gave us them gratis (and repeated this at half time, came over and offered us a drink, nice one!)

Gig went well, it wasn't super busy and it's an odd layout, it's almost like there are two bars.  I could see a bunch of people through the doorway in the "other" bar enjoying the music but too shy to come through for a dance, ahh well, as long as they're having a good time that's all that matters.  We did have an enthusiastic gang of dancers who were up for most songs, so that helped.  They left about half way through the second set, but were replaced by a couple of guys who were into the heavier stuff we tend to gravitate towards at the end of the night, so it was rewarding work all night.

I played the Harley Benton HB-50 through a Markbass rig (Mini CMD121P IV + New York 121) and it was sounding really good - I actually got compliments on my bassing and its sound from folk.  Had a fine chat at the end with a young bass player who said that my bass tone was really clear and coming through strong.  Oh no, says I, that means the mistakes were coming through loud and clear also :D

Anyhoo, great night, really enjoyed it, and smugly played a bass no-one can buy until 2024.

HB-50_Leathan.thumb.jpg.0683c27a46750d9ed8fefcee2c7ddc01.jpg

• Like 14

Lovely gig on Friday in Debenham, Suffolk, at the  Community centre. After a horrible 11/2 hour journey cross country we were really well looked after with BLTs and tea by the team there. Nice stage and excellent sound, courtesy of pro sound engineer Peter and his wife running the house rig plus some of his monitors. It’s a big room with a high ceiling but Peter really did a top notch job.

A decent sized crowd, packed dance floor and overall a very friendly place to play. It’s only the third music gig that they’ve put on and they deserve to do very well. 

Lots of nice comments afterwards from the audience and on social media.

https://www.facebook.com/thegrayprojectband.IMG_2705.thumb.jpeg.4f94d2b087188128b2e77e3d8b20a936.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dclaassen said:

First country gig

in about 40 years depping for Stevie Daniels at The “Rooster” in Warrington. Great pub, easy load in, happy dancing punters and complimentary drinks. Low ceilings made the mix 46493D53-99FB-4488-91F6-01EEDC725BA9.thumb.jpeg.61faadac4400896bd35d420061483216.jpeg468DEAD7-D7B5-4F32-A90D-51ABCDF51B05.thumb.jpeg.0203c0c36034ce5c288629442eee2f4d.jpegchallenging but got mostly sorted. Lovely time with some great guys.

That looks very much like the C*ck Inn in Werrington, I thought they had knocked bands on the head there, played there many times, lots of changes with management over the last few years made it very inconsistent with band bookings and cancellations.

Edited by steantval

8 minutes ago, steantval said:

That looks very much like the C*ck Inn in Werrington, I thought they had knocked bands on the head there, played there many times, lots of changes with management over the last few years made it very inconsistent with band bookings and cancellations.

That’s it…just a misspelling and attempt to avoid the filter 

4 hours ago, dclaassen said:

First country gig

in about 40 years depping for Stevie Daniels at The “Rooster” in Warrington. Great pub, easy load in, happy dancing punters and complimentary drinks. Low ceilings made the mix 46493D53-99FB-4488-91F6-01EEDC725BA9.thumb.jpeg.61faadac4400896bd35d420061483216.jpeg468DEAD7-D7B5-4F32-A90D-51ABCDF51B05.thumb.jpeg.0203c0c36034ce5c288629442eee2f4d.jpegchallenging but got mostly sorted. Lovely time with some great guys.

Very nice amp. I wish I still had my Trace Elliot, it sounded great but because I'm a loud hooligan, I kept running 90% volume and blowing it up. Not so nice to carry though!

• Haha 1

Played a gig on Friday at The Edinburgh Art Fair. It was held at a local conference/gig venue and the organisers thought that people having the chance to see some bands, after a long day of wandering around looking at art, would be a good idea.

Unfortunately they didn't sell very many tickets and by the time we got to the stage there wasn't much of an audience left. The picture below shows the majority of them.

band2.thumb.jpg.5e64dcd059c95e77bfd71e86bfb8e2a6.jpg

Edited by gjones
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

Very nice amp. I wish I still had my Trace Elliot, it sounded great but because I'm a loud hooligan, I kept running 90% volume and blowing it up. Not so nice to carry though!

My 15” cab is not bad…that 410 cab though…

• Like 1

On 13/11/2023 at 12:00, Bluewine said:

The acoustic show " She's Right I'm Left" will be back at The Harley Motor Restaurant this Saturday,  5:30-8:00.

The Motor has always been good for us. 

Daryl

FB_IMG_1693346552556.jpg

A bitter sweet gig. Beautiful room, stage monitors were great, comped drink and meals , we sounded good and we had a lot of fun.

Unfortunately the turn out was disappointing. 

Daryl

IMG_20231119_102815.jpg

IMG_20231119_091045.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 14

3 hours ago, steantval said:

Loved my Trace rig, best sound I have ever had, the downside was the hernia I had through lugging it about, especially the 4 x 10 cab, after this I moved over to the lighter MarkBass rig.

08A54DE9-DF7C-4E4F-B735-A247213C5C4F.jpeg

FD9B0050-8893-4365-ADC8-BD42DEB9E85C.jpeg

How close is the sound?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, neepheid said:

Good gig last night at The Leathan in Portlethen with Nine Lives.  We were well looked after, the band area was already cordoned off with a couple of tables which were labelled as reserved for the band (that's a neat idea!) and were swiftly removed to allow us to crack on and get set up.  I went up to order a few cans of Coke for us and the landlord gave us them gratis (and repeated this at half time, came over and offered us a drink, nice one!)

Gig went well, it wasn't super busy and it's an odd layout, it's almost like there are two bars.  I could see a bunch of people through the doorway in the "other" bar enjoying the music but too shy to come through for a dance, ahh well, as long as they're having a good time that's all that matters.  We did have an enthusiastic gang of dancers who were up for most songs, so that helped.  They left about half way through the second set, but were replaced by a couple of guys who were into the heavier stuff we tend to gravitate towards at the end of the night, so it was rewarding work all night.

I played the Harley Benton HB-50 through a Markbass rig (Mini CMD121P IV + New York 121) and it was sounding really good - I actually got compliments on my bassing and its sound from folk.  Had a fine chat at the end with a young bass player who said that my bass tone was really clear and coming through strong.  Oh no, says I, that means the mistakes were coming through loud and clear also :D

Anyhoo, great night, really enjoyed it, and smugly played a bass no-one can buy until 2024.

HB-50_Leathan.thumb.jpg.0683c27a46750d9ed8fefcee2c7ddc01.jpg

Nice to see ‘Keith’s cab’ contributing to your sound!👍

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

How close is the sound?

The Trace gave me a snappier tight punchy sound I cannot seem to replicate with the MB.

The MB gives a massive fuller sound, several sound engineers at gigs I have played, have mentioned how good it sounds, which is nice to hear from the guys in the know.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I can't upload pics, it says I've exceeded some sort of limit.

Daryl

If you click top right hand corner on your avatar you'll get a menu appear, click on 'attachments' and a page opens with all the pics you have uploaded.  Delete the oldest ones, that'll free up space for new ones.

• Like 2

Back home super early from an afternoon/early evening gig for a birthday party.  One of the regular attendees at Nine Lives gigs booked us to play her 70th birthday.  Proper, old school social club.  We were on in the middle and the last band (Scottish Quo - guess which band's music they do?) were kind enough to let us use their backline to make for easy changeovers - much appreciated!  We got in on time to catch the first act, a solo singer with backing tracks.  We only had to do an hour and a half, then we stayed back to watch Scottish Quo - seemed only right after we borrowed their gear!  They were proper good too - it wasn't wall to wall Quo, they threw in some other covers too.  Bass player was playing 4 and 5 string Statuses (Statii?) and put on the light up fret markers near the end, bloody showoff ;) Nah, it was sound and I enjoyed listening to them.

Main thing was that the birthday girl (ha, she's 70) had a good time, and she certainly appeared to do so, plenty dancing going on.

A very pleasant afternoon/evening.  Because it was a special occasion, I hammed it up to the max - wore a stupid shirt and a hat, played the Epi Explorer...

EDIT - someone actually remembered to take photos AND tag us!

image.thumb.png.09175f5b9dc187ba56aa0b4e1c5e9c7f.png

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 13