Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Just got in from tonight's gig. We had a 30 minute opening set for punk / metal crossover legends Hellbastard. 

I struggled with nerves a bit tonight, I think the thick smoke didn't help. I couldn't see the audience so didn't know how they were reacting. I had a couple technical issues. I think my compressor died and just gave me a horrible noise. Then I stood on my lead and pulled it out. 

We survived and had a lot of positive comments. A couple local bands said they'd like to play with us and the promoter wants to book as again so we must have sounded alright.

Watching Hellbastard afterwards was just brilliant. They are absolutely relentless, their drummer is an absolute beast. They were heavy, tight and fast and a nice bunch of blokes and they were loud. 

As a bonus, It was walking distance from home do I could have a few adult beverages. 

• Like 14

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'd be surprised if it was a faulty DI cable if he used the same cables with your spare amp and it sounded ok. Kinda points towards the GK. I once had a dodgy effects return socket on an amp that caused problems because it sits with the contacts made all the time and never really gets used. If you stick a jumper lead from effects send to effects return it sorts it until you can give the contacts a clean.

Your amp gets a lot of use on the road too so a little bit of dust on contacts.

Dave 

Funnily enough Dave we tried the jumper lead thing but it wasn't that! 
On tonight’s gig we narrowed it down to my bass preamp misbehaving, so that will be getting seen to

in our time off now. Had to use my backup Precision-a-like, which is okay but a tad heavier than the
P-Lyte as you might expect! However looks like the GK is blameless as I’d hoped, so some consolation.

2 hours ago, Richard R said:

And surely that is the difference between us amateurs and the professionals. Spare cables, spare DI and even a spare AMP.  (and I'm prepared to bet spare strings, bass, and plectrums)

Glad the show went on!

Thanks. I’m a big believer in spare stuff, and have a double of everything apart from carrying another 410 cabinet.

I’ve been really fortunate over the years in little going wrong, but when it does it’s good to have options. 

• Like 5

Tonight’s gig was at The Paramount at Penistone, a community theatre and cinema near Barnsley.

We’ve been playing here every year since I joined the band, and get really well looked after by

Brian and Amanda who run the venue. Home made lasagne and cakes for all the band and crew

is something we all look forward to, and it’s rare we all eat together before a gig so a nice change.

Venue holds around 350 and it was full tonight. Despite me having bass issues the gig went well,

with lots of people dancing at the front during our second set. It was our last gig this year, so

have a break now until January - most of the theatres we play have pantos on in December.

(Instead of the usual stage pic I thought I’d show our band and crew just after we’d eaten!)

dca4845b-8349-4ff4-a9ed-6cf3928eefc5.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Richard R said:

And surely that is the difference between us amateurs and the professionals. Spare cables, spare DI and even a spare AMP.  (and I'm prepared to bet spare strings, bass, and plectrums)

Glad the show went on!

Having suffered an amp failure mid-gig I now take no chances and have spare pretty much everything: bass, amp, leads/cables, strings (a used set for emergency use) and as many plectra as my holder will hold. The only thing I don't have a spare of is an XLR cable, as the DI is usually the last resort in the size of venue we normally play and I haven't had to use the one I have yet fortunately (touch wood).

• Like 4

7 hours ago, casapete said:

Funnily enough Dave we tried the jumper lead thing but it wasn't that! 
On tonight’s gig we narrowed it down to my bass preamp misbehaving, so that will be getting seen to

in our time off now. Had to use my backup Precision-a-like, which is okay but a tad heavier than the
P-Lyte as you might expect! However looks like the GK is blameless as I’d hoped, so some consolation.

Thanks. I’m a big believer in spare stuff, and have a double of everything apart from carrying another 410 cabinet.

I’ve been really fortunate over the years in little going wrong, but when it does it’s good to have options. 

That's good news about the amp and the bass should be an easy fix i would think.

Have to say i take a spare bass and amp and always have twin cabs anyway. Even my wireless if it fails i can plug straight into the receiver with a lead and still use the tuner.

Dave

• Like 2

Tonight’s gig was at The Paramount at Penistone,

Penistone. :D Seriously?

Spares are those things you never, ever need right up until the moment you do.  Having broken strings and had an amp blow before now I always take spares.  

• Like 5

Tonight’s gig was at The Paramount at Penistone, a community theatre and cinema near Barnsley.

We’ve been playing here every year since I joined the band, and get really well looked after by

Brian and Amanda who run the venue. Home made lasagne and cakes for all the band and crew

is something we all look forward to, and it’s rare we all eat together before a gig so a nice change.

Venue holds around 350 and it was full tonight. Despite me having bass issues the gig went well,

with lots of people dancing at the front during our second set. It was our last gig this year, so

have a break now until January - most of the theatres we play have pantos on in December.

(Instead of the usual stage pic I thought I’d show our band and crew just after we’d eaten!)

dca4845b-8349-4ff4-a9ed-6cf3928eefc5.jpeg

Great pic and we can see what you all look like "out of stage gear". :laugh1:

Who are you people ??? :tatice_03:

Dave

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Penistone. :D Seriously?

Spares are those things you never, ever need right up until the moment you do.  Having broken strings and had an amp blow before now I always take spares.  

I've only ever broken one string in 40+ yrs when i was playing. Even tho i don't carry spare strings because i have a spare bass with me it still sticks in my mind about breaking one again. :biggrin:

Dave

• Like 2

First country gig

in about 40 years depping for Stevie Daniels at The “Rooster” in Warrington. Great pub, easy load in, happy dancing punters and complimentary drinks. Low ceilings made the mix 46493D53-99FB-4488-91F6-01EEDC725BA9.thumb.jpeg.61faadac4400896bd35d420061483216.jpeg468DEAD7-D7B5-4F32-A90D-51ABCDF51B05.thumb.jpeg.0203c0c36034ce5c288629442eee2f4d.jpegchallenging but got mostly sorted. Lovely time with some great guys.

Edited by dclaassen
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

I've only ever broken one string in 40+ yrs when i was playing. Even tho i don't carry spare strings because i have a spare bass with me it still sticks in my mind about breaking one again. :biggrin:

Dave

Indeed.  I always take a spare bass that is tuned up and waiting on a stand next to me 'just in case'.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

I’ve never broken a bass string Dave.

My bass issues last night though were jack socket / wiring related, causing me to use my spare.

22 minutes ago, casapete said:

I’ve never broken a bass string Dave.

My bass issues last night though were jack socket / wiring related, causing me to use my spare.

It was in my youthful days and i was using fingerstyle too. Think it was a rotosound string where its just the core that goes over the saddle. I was a very aggressive player. It was an E string too. :biggrin:

37 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

First country gig

in about 40 years depping for Stevie Daniels at The “Rooster” in Warrington. Great pub, easy load in, happy dancing punters and complimentary drinks. Low ceilings made the mix 46493D53-99FB-4488-91F6-01EEDC725BA9.thumb.jpeg.61faadac4400896bd35d420061483216.jpeg468DEAD7-D7B5-4F32-A90D-51ABCDF51B05.thumb.jpeg.0203c0c36034ce5c288629442eee2f4d.jpegchallenging but got mostly sorted. Lovely time with some great guys.

Ooohhh a Pedulla. Don't see many of them about. I'm a bit jealous there.

Dave

46 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

Tell us more about venue, rig and band!

Buxton “Old Clubhouse” , actually a nice little venue, I honestly cannot remember what the amp was, I’ll try and find a photo. It was a head and 4x12 DI’d into the PA, so out front it was ok, but onstage it was really quiet. We were support, so I didn’t want to start changing the settings on it, but I did turn up the master, which made no real difference to me. I really missed my Ashdown, but of course it makes life easier at the end to pack up and leave.

The band, “Crisis’, we’re celebrating our 40th year this year, original heavy rock, 3pce, I’m the singer too. Three old men masquerading as relevant 40 years later.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

That's the worst sort of tone

I grew up not far from Penistone. I drive through it most times I go to see my parents.  I’d never noticed the school kid giggle potential until 5 minutes ago. 😂

Edited by Simon C
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Tell us more about venue, rig and band!

“Redstar”? Was the brand on the head…. literally never heard of it.

*edit “Redsub”  ….. still never heard of it 

Edited by Rayman
  • Like 1