Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

3 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

@neepheid I spy the MarkBass cab you got recently - how is it performing?

Oh, and get well soon. I shut my finger (left index)  in a car door before a gig once and the feeling has never totally returned…

Very impressed thus far, these gigs were its first "war volume" outings and it made an impressive amount of sound for such a small cab.  The first night, it sounded a bit "boxy" but I was using a borrowed head which I was also unfamiliar with.  The second night I had a play with the EQ and found a much more rounded tone which pleased me greatly.  Was considering getting a second one, but honestly the single one was coping fine in the two pubs I was playing in.  Might still snag a second NY121 anyway, but it's nice to know that in a pinch, one seems to be able to make itself heard no bother.

Cheers, my finger's bruised on top and a wee bit swollen - it was a regular door rather than a car door and it wasn't slammed on it so hopefully it'll heal up ok.

• Like 4

On 04/11/2023 at 14:07, bassbiscuits said:

Headlined the German beer festival and fireworks event at Alexandra Palace with the Joel Coombes’ Elton John tribute on Friday. 

Almost certainly the biggest audience I’ve played to, and a really lovely party vibe there. View from the stage was magic watching a few thousand people dancing and singing along. What a tremendous night out. 

Much smaller gig tonight at Leicester’s Musician pub - a fundraiser in aid of a well respected local musician and soundman. Should be a good night too though. 

2b6c767a-a5b8-4c7d-b80a-bf8d281a58b3.jpeg

IMG_0061.jpeg

It all sounded like a lot of fun from Tottenham* :)

(*about 2.5 miles away for those not blessed with living in North London)

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Bittersweet gig for Sarum’s Lot last night, we played at Qudos Bar in Salisbury - probably our favourite venue in Salisbury, it was our guitarist’s last gig with us as he’s been battling cancer for the last 5 years and unfortunately the time has come that he just can’t carry on gigging any more🥲

Such a shame as he’s a thoroughly decent bloke and a bloody good mate, and the band has been a breath of fresh air and exactly what I prefer to play. 

Here’s a cheeky photo I managed to take at the end of Highway to Hell and a snippet of Smells Like Teen Spirit…IMG_9071.thumb.jpeg.d63df29049018ff4abe0d31b09ff4d72.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Sad 6

4 hours ago, ahpook said:

It all sounded like a lot of fun from Tottenham* :)

(*about 2.5 miles away for those not blessed with living in North London)

I'm originally from nr Philip Lane but I lived in Muswell Hill for 15 years, Ally Pally was a 10 minute walk!  Now I'm up in Barnet.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, neepheid said:

Very impressed thus far, these gigs were its first "war volume" outings and it made an impressive amount of sound for such a small cab.  The first night, it sounded a bit "boxy" but I was using a borrowed head which I was also unfamiliar with.  The second night I had a play with the EQ and found a much more rounded tone which pleased me greatly.  Was considering getting a second one, but honestly the single one was coping fine in the two pubs I was playing in.  Might still snag a second NY121 anyway, but it's nice to know that in a pinch, one seems to be able to make itself heard no bother.

Cheers, my finger's bruised on top and a wee bit swollen - it was a regular door rather than a car door and it wasn't slammed on it so hopefully it'll heal up ok.

Adding a second ny121 opens up the sound a fair bit even at low volumes. I find a single ny121 always sounds a bit ‘boxed in’.

• Like 3

Bit of an odd one.  We were at the John Peel Centre in Stowmarket last night, support for Spanish blues/rock artist Susan Santos who is doing a UK tour.  Lovely venue, which I am told will hold 250 at capacity - we've played there before to a packed crowd supporting Danny Bryant so we were all looking forward to this one immensely.  Easy load in, very relaxed, great soundman.  Mezzanine area for the bands and staff to sit and relax.  Susan was very nice, as were her band - bass and drum session players hired for the tour.  Sound was brilliant, great big stage. 

I don't know whay went wrong but only 34 people turned up and they sat, poker faced, through our set with polite applause between songs.  Then exactly the same during Susan Santos' set - which was fabulous.  She is very good - good guitar player, some very good songs.  Session guys were amazing.  Difficult to get into it when there is nothing coming back at you although we had a number of people come up to us at the end to say nice things.  Sold one CD and had the promise of a future booking in our own right but I'll believe that when it happens.

Susan Santos at soundcheck - my guitarists picture.

398995967_653228083623576_42064999026180

• Like 6
  • Sad 11

6 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Bit of an odd one.  We were at the John Peel Centre in Stowmarket last night, support for Spanish blues/rock artist Susan Santos who is doing a UK tour.  Lovely venue, which I am told will hold 250 at capacity - we've played there before to a packed crowd supporting Danny Bryant so we were all looking forward to this one immensely.  Easy load in, very relaxed, great soundman.  Mezzanine area for the bands and staff to sit and relax.  Susan was very nice, as were her band - bass and drum session players hired for the tour.  Sound was brilliant, great big stage. 

I don't know whay went wrong but only 34 people turned up and they sat, poker faced, through our set with polite applause between songs.  Then exactly the same during Susan Santos' set - which was fabulous.  She is very good - good guitar player, some very good songs.  Session guys were amazing.  Difficult to get into it when there is nothing coming back at you although we had a number of people come up to us at the end to say nice things.  Sold one CD and had the promise of a future booking in our own right but I'll believe that when it happens.

Susan Santos at soundcheck - my guitarists picture.

398995967_653228083623576_42064999026180

Probably a bit too modern for Stowmarket...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, asingardenof said:

Probably a bit too modern for Stowmarket...

I had a few good gigs in Stowmarket with a country rock band. Very enthusiastic audiences, although it must be said most were dressed  as Cowboys and Indians.  But hey, you take what you get. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

I had a few good gigs in Stowmarket with a country rock band. Very enthusiastic audiences, although it must be said most were dressed  as Cowboys and Indians.  But hey, you take what you get. 

I tried my hardest - attired in a fancy western shirt and cowboy boots.  :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I tried my hardest - attired in a fancy western shirt and cowboy boots.  :D 

...and while we're on the Country theme, here's my band, Southern Frontier, playing at The Donkey in Leicester last night. 

Great gig, which we all really enjoyed and got lots of lovely feedback from the decent-sized crowd. Home for 9pm as it was a 4pm kick off

Screenshot_2023-11-06-13-38-01-97_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.thumb.jpg.31279a5f27a871464a166ef0e687407c.jpg

Edited by ricksterphil
  • Like 17

Fantastic night at the Hunter Club in Bury St. Edmunds, playing with ‘For The Hornets’. 180 Cap venue, we sold 56 tickets in advance, and were at capacity when we played.

Composite image as people at the front were too close to get us all in lol! Would you look at my barnet!

399074742_877731931019873_2690574323276437313_n.thumb.jpg.1103f6831aadcd66c23dd2dcb3d0af21.jpg

• Like 17

On 04/11/2023 at 04:35, casapete said:

Three gigs for us this week, all over the place too!

First was in Stamford on Thursday night. The Corn Exchange is a great theatre in the picturesque 

town centre. Largely run by volunteers, it’s always a good place for us and we sell it out too,( although

only seats around 400 so it’s one of the smaller venues we regularly do.) Great crowd and atmosphere,

and I got to meet up with an old school mate who I haven’t seen in over 40 years!

Last night we were at The Leas Cliff Hall in Folkestone, an iconic venue with views over the channel.

Had a dreadful journey there though, with the M20 partly closed due to trucks being held there due

to channel ferry cancellations with the appalling weather conditions. Really blustery all the way,

I was struggling to keep our bus in a straight line a lot of the time. Anyway, we arrived a bit late

but got soundchecked quickly. Not an easy place sound wise, but for the first time we flew the

top part of the PA and it worked great. First time we’ve sold the venue out with 830 people in.

There’s room for dancing at the sides which is great, some people up almost straight away!

Really appreciative crowd, all in all a cracking gig.

Today we’re driving up to Stevenage, so just hope the weather lets up.

IMG_3451.jpeg

IMG_3454.jpeg

2f9d4838-473c-4fa7-bf96-78c7bfac3cab.jpeg

4bc75de9-07ca-4f37-a892-5eb536e4121e.jpeg

Fantastic!

Daryl

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well it’s not last night, but I’ve learned this evening that we’ve been booked to play at The Pappillon in Southend on Dec 1st. It’s one of the more important venues to get your foot in the door in the area, and it’s a pretty hard gig to land, so we’re all stoked!

Not expecting an enormous crowd on Southend seafront in December, but if we can impress the owner/booker then maybe we’ll be able to swing a night or two next year!

• Like 10

10 hours ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

Well it’s not last night, but I’ve learned this evening that we’ve been booked to play at The Pappillon in Southend on Dec 1st. It’s one of the more important venues to get your foot in the door in the area, and it’s a pretty hard gig to land, so we’re all stoked!

Not expecting an enormous crowd on Southend seafront in December, but if we can impress the owner/booker then maybe we’ll be able to swing a night or two next year!

Nice one. We'd like to get in there too. We were stoked to finally get in the Cow & Telescope (and get repeat bookings), which is similarly challenging to get booked in the Southend area.

Maybe I'll swing by. I'm playing at the Sarah Moore the next day.

• Like 2

I played with The 77s band at The Druids Arms in Maidstone on Saturday. We only got the booking the day before due to the scheduled band cancelling but fortunately we were all available to do the gig. We had played there once before in the summer, its a good venue in the town centre, playing outside on a stage in a covered courtyard.

We had not had a gig together since mid September (the other 3 had played with a dep the week before whilst I was on holiday) but it went well and we were surprisingly tight. A friend came along and was able to take some videos which are now on our newly formed you tube channel. It was a cold wet night and the crowd varied in size through the evening, but had at least 50 at peak. 

Picture below of our homemade light up sign!

IMG_5116.jpg

• Like 14

I'v had a gig free few weeks 😞 but managed to sit in with several people on jam nights... from rockabilly to comforably numb in 20 minutes!

Must admit it can get hairy when people use a capo, you don't know the song and you're tryiny to read a chord sheet over the guitarist's shoulder.

Still three gigs over the next three weeks, including the front bar of the Earl Haig - we normally play the big stage there bug the atmosphere in the front bar is intense so really looking forward to it. Plus the great three tuns in Chepstow and our first time at Taff's Wells exies 🤪

• Like 11

Played a support slot for Dr Feelgood at the Adrian Flux Waterfront, Norwich. It is a long way for us to travel - especially me - and not a particularly good payer but the promoter, Stephen 'Foz' Foster, asked us especially and, as he puts a lot of gigs our way, we couldn't say no.

I believe it has been a music venue for a while but there has been some recent redevelopment of some old buildings along the river there, a fancy new footbridge over the river to a sparkling new cinema and eateries complex.  Anyhoo.  It is a very good venue.  Downstairs is the big hall that will hold 700: we were in the studio upstairs that will hold 200.  In the event, 150 tickets were sold so the place felt full.  Dedicated parking, through a few chicanes and double doors, gear in the lift to the room.  Nice stage.  The Feelgood boys had long set up and gone, leaving us about 2 sq ft each in which to set up.  As it turned out that was fine.  Set up and sound checked in about 30 mins, which was good.  Sound man was great, knew exactly what he was doing.

Drummer and I headed off over the water for a Nandos, got back about 10 mins before kickoff.  We were given a great introduction from Foz and off we went.  Absolutely brilliant, everyone was with us from the first bar.  A room full of people who had come to hear some good old fashioned RnB and thgat's what they got from us as a prelude to the Feelgoods.  Really enjoyable and we went down really well - went over time to play an encore.  Sold some CDs, too, and hopefully picked up some new followers.  My SG continues to impress. 

Because of the long drive home we left just a few songs into the Dr Feelgood set.  I had driven up to the guitarist's place in Ipswich and he drove us to Norwich.  On the return leg he took a wrong turn and added 20 mins getting lost.  Then, for final leg of me driving from Ipswich to home, A12 was shut, adding another 20 mins.  Over 3 hrs in total 😒  So, travelling wasn't good.  not much money.  Would I do it again?  You bet :D  

Obligatory pic, courtesy of Foz.

400359108_655699783376406_18536312444122

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 27

On 06/11/2023 at 14:30, urbanx said:

Fantastic night at the Hunter Club in Bury St. Edmunds, playing with ‘For The Hornets’. 180 Cap venue, we sold 56 tickets in advance, and were at capacity when we played.

Composite image as people at the front were too close to get us all in lol! Would you look at my barnet!

399074742_877731931019873_2690574323276437313_n.thumb.jpg.1103f6831aadcd66c23dd2dcb3d0af21.jpg

Would that be a Fender Meteora by any chance?  Not seen anyone play one of these.  How are you finding it?

• Like 2

Nice return gig to Camelon Labour Club in Falkirk tonight. Sold Out twice now.

Dancing all night from the first song. Audience were so much into what we were doing. Just a great feeling and privilege to play for them.

Great night.

Using my Sandberg VM4 into my Ampeg SVT7 Pro and Mesa 210/115 cabs.

Dave

image.thumb.png.c55527d5f13ac0eafe2b95f2ff59afee.png

• Like 19

Tonight: A social club somewhere near Walsall.
It was as glamourous as it sounds (if not less so) - the average age was about 100, and that's including me and the three 20-somethings in the band...
We had a dep singer as our singer/guitarist was busy/couldn't be bothered, she was great- really nice husky voice, got stuck in lugging the gear, lovely lass and a good laugh.
We did mostly 50s and 60s stuff which went down well - you've not lived until you've seen a dancefloor full of septuagenarians shuffling away to a Connie Francis number, and a few of our usual set. Not sure what they made of Dakota, Brightside and Footloose but they gave it a go, bless 'em.
We changed key on the fly for a few songs (to give the female singer a fighting chance) which meant I launched into my BVs on autopilot before realising I couldn't get that high, so I ended up alternating between Barry White and Alvin and the Chipmunks.
There was a raffle at half time. Glamourous, like I said.

Played the 'Ray for the first time in ages - it's been out of action for a bit due to me not being happy with the LaBella DTFs that were on it, back to EB Cobalt flats and it sounded fantastic.
Thumpinator -> VTDI was all I took so no pedals to worry about. Probably for the best, as I think the Bass Soul Food would have finished a couple of them off, never mind the one control green bass machine.
Dodgy XLR meant horrid crackly/cutting out IEMs for the first set, the joy I felt when I could hear everything in the second set was almost a religious experience.

Paid cash, a pint on the house and home at 1:30 to a Westons Special Reserve and a sulky cat.

Better than staying in watching telly, innit?

• Like 18