Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

People maybe 40 something, age around the same. They had been having some educational thing the whole day. They really expected something like a slightly advanced trio, and we were 10. We actually played pretty well today and the audience was dancing. A lot. Good vibes from the start.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, itu said:

People maybe 40 something, age around the same. They had been having some educational thing the whole day. They really expected something like a slightly advanced trio, and we were 10. We actually played pretty well today and the audience was dancing. A lot. Good vibes from the start.

Nice 

Blue

• Thanks 1

On 21/11/2022 at 12:02, wateroftyne said:

First gig in a while with my semi-regular dep, doing songs from the golden age of American music. Nice old-school social club - great-sounding room, lovely people, cheap beer.

Second chance to use my new Handbox valve amp, and sounded lovely.

Here's a clip.

Agreed, lovely. Very warm.

Blue

Played in a massive converted warehouse venue last night on Gloucester docks. Basically a giant bathroom acoustically speaking. It was fine, with the only thing of note being me watching with my usual amusement as a drunken ‘expert’ regaled our sound engineer with lots of pointing and hand gestures. When I spoke to him afterwards, it turns out the guy was brilliant and actually really helped with some advice that transformed the sound and resolved a bass bloom issue. 
I suppose mathematically speaking it had to happen eventually 😂😂😂

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 7
  • Haha 7

My blues rock trio Toredown played at our 'regular' pub in Ipswich, The Shamrock, last night.  I arrived a bit later than usual, found a rare parking spot virtually outside.  We didn't get to fully set up until after the footie as our space was occupied by viewers but as the place wasn't busy we could get kit assembled by the side - in the event we kicked off at around 9.15ish, so not too bad.  We have played better, all of us made mistakes but nobody noticed or, if they did, cared.  By the time we were a short way into the first set all our regulars had turned up and the place was packed.  Security had to turn people away at some point.  Really good atmosphere, we went down really well, got paid more than we asked, no road closures on the A12 homeward bound so 60 mins to my door.  Wonderful. :)  Nice to see @Dazm66 who plays with our drummer Joe in another band.

Next gig is supporting Dr Feelgood on 15th Dec :) 

• Like 16

Well that was bloody great.  First gig in a few months due to folk on holiday etc.  I'm always a little nervous after that much downtime - will I remember the songs?  Turns out the human memory is a little more resilient than I gave it credit for.  Had an amazing gig at the Butchers Arms in Inverurie last night.  Slow start but crowd streadily built up during the first half and thankfully didn't bog off during the break.  This may have had something to do with after the last song of the first half.  After we finished the last song of the first half, the singer was telling everyone we were going to have a break and I absent mindedly started noodling the riff to "Groove is in the Heart"/"Bring Down the Birds".  The crowd cottoned on to what I was doing, the drummer joined in and then we had someone rapping to it - they were really good!  I have no idea what she was saying, but she was in time and had good rhythm!

Second half went fantastic, lots of dancers, and only one minus when a pished wifie came in, tried to steal the mic from the singer a few times, got into a fight with a bloke who came across to stop her and finally she got kicked out by the door staff.  Some annoying other pished wifie was indignant that we didn't know any Fleetwood Mac.  Here's 40-odd other songs you seemed to enjoy, but no, the whole thing's effed because we don't know Fleetwood Mac.  OK then, off you pop :)

Cobwebs well and truly blasted out.  What a great night!

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I absent mindedly started noodling the riff to "Groove is in the Heart"/"Bring Down the Birds".  The crowd cottoned on to what I was doing, the drummer joined in and then we had someone rapping to it - they were really good!  I have no idea what she was saying, but she was in time and had good rhythm!

Me and the drummer often do this, noone has joined in yet though, the rest of our band dont. It is such a great bass line to play though!

• Like 2

Our seven piece swing band played inside a store as part of the city's downtown Christmas walk last night. It's a small shop but we had hundreds of people coming in for the three hours we played and got lots of good feedback as we worked our way through a mix of swing charts and some Christmas songs arranged for a band like ours. We played well and were done at 9 and got paid too . I used my Yamaha SLB 200 instead of my DB due to limited space. A shot from inside and one through the window from the street. 👍🎅

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

On 21/11/2022 at 18:02, wateroftyne said:

First gig in a while with my semi-regular dep, doing songs from the golden age of American music. Nice old-school social club - great-sounding room, lovely people, cheap beer.

Second chance to use my new Handbox valve amp, and sounded lovely.

Here's a clip.

Really nice tone….I’d pay to see your group!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Paul S said:

My blues rock trio Toredown played at our 'regular' pub in Ipswich, The Shamrock, last night.  I arrived a bit later than usual, found a rare parking spot virtually outside.  We didn't get to fully set up until after the footie as our space was occupied by viewers but as the place wasn't busy we could get kit assembled by the side - in the event we kicked off at around 9.15ish, so not too bad.  We have played better, all of us made mistakes but nobody noticed or, if they did, cared.  By the time we were a short way into the first set all our regulars had turned up and the place was packed.  Security had to turn people away at some point.  Really good atmosphere, we went down really well, got paid more than we asked, no road closures on the A12 homeward bound so 60 mins to my door.  Wonderful. :)  Nice to see @Dazm66 who plays with our drummer Joe in another band.

Nice, very cool gig story.

Blue

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, neepheid said:

Well that was bloody great.  First gig in a few months due to folk on holiday etc.  I'm always a little nervous after that much downtime - will I remember the songs?  Turns out the human memory is a little more resilient than I gave it credit for.  Had an amazing gig at the Butchers Arms in Inverurie last night.  Slow start but crowd streadily built up during the first half and thankfully didn't bog off during the break.  This may have had something to do with after the last song of the first half.  After we finished the last song of the first half, the singer was telling everyone we were going to have a break and I absent mindedly started noodling the riff to "Groove is in the Heart"/"Bring Down the Birds".  The crowd cottoned on to what I was doing, the drummer joined in and then we had someone rapping to it - they were really good!  I have no idea what she was saying, but she was in time and had good rhythm!

Second half went fantastic, lots of dancers, and only one minus when a pished wifie came in, tried to steal the mic from the singer a few times, got into a fight with a bloke who came across to stop her and finally she got kicked out by the door staff.  Some annoying other pished wifie was indignant that we didn't know any Fleetwood Mac.  Here's 40-odd other songs you seemed to enjoy, but no, the whole thing's effed because we don't know Fleetwood Mac.  OK then, off you pop :)

Cobwebs well and truly blasted out.  What a great night!

I can never really tell what we sound like or the details of our musicianship onstage until I see a video on Facebook. 

When I'm onstage I'm focused on my personal performance and making sure I catch all the cues from our band leader/ front person.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

21 hours ago, Paul S said:

Enjoyed it Paul. Well played sir and lovely thunderbird. I didn’t notice any mistakes and I’m certain the regular punters wouldn’t! Not with their ears bleeding like that. He does like to play loud your guitarist!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dazm66 said:

Enjoyed it Paul. Well played sir and lovely thunderbird. I didn’t notice any mistakes and I’m certain the regular punters wouldn’t! Not with their ears bleeding like that. He does like to play loud your guitarist!

Thank you!  That's the first time I have gigged with the Thunderbird and I was really pleased how it sat.   Yes, as you know Alan does play loud.  Particularly so on Friday - he had a different amp with him and, with no time for a proper sound check, we were unable to get the balance quite right.   He did turn it down a bit second set after Joe had a word. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Enjoyed last night. British Legion just 10 minutes up the road. Have been trying to get a gig there for ages. At the end the Manageress came up and said how much she enjoyed it and how she was kicking herself for not booking us a couple of years ago. Dropped a couple of songs that never work and improvised a couple that did, so that was cool. Got paid well and back home by 12.15. Lovely job.

• Like 8

Played under canvas in Dorset in a howling gale. The audience, all hardy campers/mobile home owners, were made of stern stuff and stuck with us.

We got a fish and chip supper and free drinks thrown in!
Here’s our audience (taken by me when soundchecking as I am wireless).

F8E2634C-9934-45A0-AEE8-A2BA7B36EDB0.jpeg

• Like 10

Played at our favourite venue, the Coach House in Paignton last might. Our drummer is on holiday in Tibet with his GF so we drafted in our son who was our previous drummer. He brought a good crowd with him and quite a few haven't seen him play before. We played really well and had a great sound. Plenty of singing along and some interesting dancing by some punters. A great night. Always good when he deps for us.

IMG-20221127-WA0002.jpg

Edited by mep
  • Like 11

We did a private do in a place we’ve played loads, only to arrive and find that they had refurbished the function room into - yep - A giant bathroom. No soft furnishings, high angled ceiling. But everything’ was still eq,d to last nights giant bathroom, so it wasn’t too big a deal. First outing for my new SR300e. A tad heavier and less sophisticated than my sr500/1200s, but much nicer to look at 😂 

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, mep said:

and some interesting dancing by some punters. 

That made me chuckle.  I call one of our regulars the 'zombie dancer'.  It is like she used to dance, died, came back to life and the small part of her brain that hadn't quite decoomposed contained a vestigial memory of what to do - but not entirely getting it right. :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Paul S said:

That made me chuckle.  I call one of our regulars the 'zombie dancer'.  It is like she used to dance, died, came back to life and the small part of her brain that hadn't quite decoomposed contained a vestigial memory of what to do - but not entirely getting it right. :D 

I can relate to that Paul.

Mrs CP usually manages to get me to dance for one song a year on NYE, and that

is how I feel, apart from the ‘used to dance’ bit.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Last minute gig last night - saved me from a dead weekend.

I arrived first, "where do the bands set up mate?" "Over there under the TV"

In between the two toilet doors. Nice. Wait, that space is the width of a TV. Umm

IMG_20221127_113435.jpg

What cab you using with the CTM head ?