Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played a local music festival in two different bands (one was a band who broke up four years ago but got back together for ones last show). We'd only had a few practices and I forgot a good portion of the set but I had so much fun.
My main band we headlining the one stage and they cut us a song short so the other band could play who they then cut off a song short.
The crowd went f***ing ape as they'd waiting around in the cold for hours to see us! Don't think we'll be doing it again next year

Friday was a wedding, probably last of the year, the vocals were mired with trechnical issues (traced to a poorly made lead) during the first set. Other than that though pretty good, I got a great tone too which made me happy.

Last night was a pub, one of those venues where it's not very clear why they have live music - a few people where into the band, but most were more interested in the football. It really felt like hard work last night - probably a combination of the
disinterested audience and the three hours sleep I'd had the night before, why wont children learn that if daddy has a gig he doesn't want to be woken up at five am the
next day? Tone wasn't so good either, curse of the hollow stage, I really must get a Gramma Pad soon.

I also did more vocals this week, and the singer was pretty happy with what I was singing, so looking forward to doing more.

[quote name='BigGuyAtTheBack' timestamp='1407743530' post='2523408']
2 gigs this weekend, friday night local young farmers marquee dance. Absolutely persisting down. Low turn out for the first part of the evening, which was just as well cos the rock covers band I was playing in had guitarist volume issues again and the drummer was doing everything at breakneck tempos and having timimg issues. After the set I spoke to said guitarist and told him I was gone. Same dude who just wanted me to root note everything! On with my second band, much better with about 100 pissed farmers in now and up for a party. Best part of the evening was when our original (and best) guitarist wandered up to us and asked for his old job back! Result!!!!! He played with us on the second half of the set and I couldn't stop smiling. Our original line up is back and sounding even better with two guitars again. Did I really say that out loud LOL. Sunday gig, wedding at posh hotel, bride and groom are rock fans, superb. Rocking set and not too many weddingy type tunes. Good crowd, booze n food laid on too! Finished by 1130 pm and no work on Monday morning. Only downside having to hand over the the gig money to the missus, apparently the horse needs fed or something? :blush:
[/quote]

That's nae Turra Show is it?

[quote name='mikebass84' timestamp='1408274384' post='2528470']
Played a local music festival in two different bands...
[/quote]

Hi, (just joined) Only found out about the festival on Friday from something you posted on BC - lost the post (search won't find it). Anyhow spotted this post and found you! Awesome playing on that 5 - Thanks, enjoyed it.
Was a poor show when you were taken off, lots of booing at the compare. Bit daft really only one song away.
Got there about 8.30 so saw the reunion also , sounded pretty good too. Two excellent sets. Thanks!

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1408294686' post='2528729']

Hi, (just joined) Only found out about the festival on Friday from something you posted on BC - lost the post (search won't find it). Anyhow spotted this post and found you! Awesome playing on that 5 - Thanks, enjoyed it.
Was a poor show when you were taken off, lots of booing at the compare. Bit daft really only one song away.
Got there about 8.30 so saw the reunion also , sounded pretty good too. Two excellent sets. Thanks!
[/quote]

Many thanks. Really enjoyed myself. Nice to Play on a big stage.
You should have come and said hi. I have yet to actually meet another bcer

Friday night, small lakeside bar. Worse place we play for load in and set up, the place is really small. However they are known for live music and there's a lot of heavy drinking.

Our 1st set was slow, pretty small crowd. By the middle of the second set the place started to fill up. The band was tight, stage monitors were working pretty good, everybody rocked.

blue

Edited by blue

Last Saturday afternoon, Beautiful Days Festival out near Exeter. My bridge leaped out of my EUB and across the stage near the end of a song. managed to wrestle it back in, retune, and jump straight back in at nearly the right place in the next tune.

I did not get anyway near enough credit for such a clean bit of on stage maintenance.

The sound guys were massively helpful in holding the thing up while I kicked the bridge back into position though, huge thanks to both of them.
:)

One of my bands got a call to play outside the Amex football stadium yesterday for the Brighton vs Bolton game in the new FanZone.

Was a fun gig! Got filmed for a new local TV channel for Brighton, had a very healthy crowd for a alt rock band and got free tickets to the game + food. How good is that? This was the first time they have ever had live music + beer available before the games and we've already been asked to come back next season!

Weirdest gig I've ever played.

I was pulling off a pseudo-rockabilly slap bass line and see a ruckus right next to me. I started laughing thinking it was fun and games until I realised that it turned into a frenzy of men and women kicking the crap out of each other. After the ensuing blood, fists and glass flew, there was a dog barking at them all too. The sound I had was my amp farting through the monitors. What a day!

We (The Daub'z...) were invited to open the Saturday session of CiralStock, a private micro-festival here in Lower Normandy. We've played there before, 3 or 4 times; it's very laid-back and cool. We'd had a couple of rehearsals (we've not played together for a year, as the local was being re-furnished...). Should have gone on at 21h30, but the organisation got messed up somewhat; we finally went on a bit before midnight. A cramped stage (agricultural trailer...), but finally got installed and did a pretty good set. I fumbled one of our 'standards' ('Anti-Social', Trust...) but managed to pull it together and narrowly avoid a complete train wreck. Sorry, guys..! :blush:[size=4] [/size][size=4] . We were able to load out whilst the next group were doing their sound check, and got home for 02h30. Didn't get much sleep, though, and feeling quite 'RoboCop' this morning. We'll unload the tour bus another day, I think... :mellow: . I'm really glad I'm no longer doing this every week-end..![/size]

we played out a pub 'fun day' last night , in the field behind the pub in a marque. It was great fun and we got quite a decent sound by all counts 2 new ones went down really well Blondie -Hanging on the telephone, and the killers -when you were young.. It stayed relatively dry for the gig but it hammered down on the load out , good job we have covers for all the cabs! The ground was awful and we had no stage, just set up in the corner of the tent on the grass, though we had enough mats and covers to keep the kit clean from the floor , tidying the cable bag this morning sees the long run stuff a bit muddy ,
A good night though and the promise of a return

Well, it was the night before last; in my negligence I chose to stay in bed a bit longer and shirked my BC reporting duties so didn't have time to post yesterday!

But yes: cracking gig. Off to a bit of a bad start as I got there to be told the headliners has had to cancel following a car accident - fortunately nobody was seriously hurt, but I think their guitarist's car is probably a write-off. Fortunately we were able to extend our set a bit and do justice to the headlining slot...I shall half-inch a couple of photos to stick up in the Cherry White thread a bit later on!

Last night was The Fool 'N Angel in East Grinstead, now The Crow's Nest aren't doing bands anymore, the owners have moved some of the bands to here, odd venue I can kind of see what they're trying to do, but not sure it works: from about half 8-9 there was cabaret with a comedian comparing it, a 30's style club singer and a burlesque lass, this goes on until about 10 and then the band's in from half 10, playing until 1, with a break.

Very much a gig of two halfs, first set was hard work to a mostly empty room, second set better as a hen party and a group of pretty young girls who were up for dancing turned up, which made for a much more enjoyable performance.

I can't help but think the club is trying to be all things to all people, with the cabaret, band and DJ who was playing standard club songs between the acts, but doesn't really work as there's no consistency of styles.

It didn't help that the comedian wasn't funny and the club singer, whilst decent had little stage presence.

What really annoyed us though was the disregard the venue had for out time: load-in from 6, to be finished by half 8, but the band doesn't start until half 10 and finish at 1. Now I don't mind doing evenings like that for weddings or functions, but they pay substantially more; to give up that much time for pub money isn't on. The second set was pretty good last night, but couple the times with killer stairs for loading in and out and the poor attendance, I can't see us playing there again.

Real throwback gig on Sunday: a dep for a mate in a familiar (and deeply vortex-like) local pub, with two singer/guitarists doing very good harmony vocals, my fave drummer, and about a million ancient great songs from Everlys to Beatles to Monkees... luckily I squeezed a partial set list out of them beforehand 'cos some of those songs can bite you.

Plenty of people pissed and dancing even at 6pm, plus doing handclaps and hilarious backing vocals. I used to do this kind of gig in about, ooh, 1983. Actually a pleasure, and home by 9 to watch a rerun of the new Dr Who with, I'm pleased to say, a welcome touch of darkness and gravitas from Capaldi. Silly plot, though.

After some false starts and miscommunications over the past weeks we finally played at the Hertford Music Festival's 'Musical Mystery Tour' earlier today. It was a bit worrying that only half a dozen people seemed to have turned up for the first couple of solo acts but it gradually filled up and we ended up playing outdoors to around 50-60 people for about an hour with a half and half mix of originals and covers, including a couple of new songs having their first outing. All in all a pleasant Sunday afternoon.

We played at a pub yesterday where they do a sort of local talent showcase once a month. It'ts a mixture of open mic and invited bands, of which we were one. It was a bit shambolic to begin with. Kicked off very late and there was a bit of a misunderstanding with how much of a drum kit they were providing.
The stage was a bit small, so to create more space they had set up the mic stands on beer crates in front of the stage.
We start off with Bohemian Like You, on which I do BVs. As soon as I stepped up to the mic to sing, the stand fell through a hole in the beer crate and the whole thing toppled over. I just stepoed back znd carried on playing, while sound guy ran up and reassambled it in a rather 'School of Rock' moment. Audience loved it.
After that it all went very well. No bum notes (well not so's you'd notice!). Great reception from the marvelous assortment of Brummie characters who made up the audience . I had a friend in - a rampant old thespian who can be very critical and waspish. He said we were really tight!
The last band on were an all female band who do some quirky original stuff. They were great and also really friendly. Mutual admiration all round.

And two firsts. First time I have used my own combo (I keep calling it a 'combi' , but that's a boiler isn't it? :D ). And first time a punter has bought me a drink cos he liked my playing!

Rock n roll! :D

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1408952526' post='2534754']
We played at a pub yesterday where they do a sort of local talent showcase once a month. It'ts a mixture of open mic and invited bands, of which we were one. It was a bit shambolic to begin with. Kicked off very late and there was a bit of a misunderstanding with how much of a drum kit they were providing.
The stage was a bit small, so to create more space they had set up the mic stands on beer crates in front of the stage.
We start off with Bohemian Like You, on which I do BVs. As soon as I stepped up to the mic to sing, the stand fell through a hole in the beer crate and the whole thing toppled over. I just stepoed back znd carried on playing, while sound guy ran up and reassambled it in a rather 'School of Rock' moment. Audience loved it.
After that it all went very well. No bum notes (well not so's you'd notice!). Great reception from the marvelous assortment of Brummie characters who made up the audience . I had a friend in - a rampant old thespian who can be very critical and waspish. He said we were really tight!
The last band on were an all female band who do some quirky original stuff. They were great and also really friendly. Mutual admiration all round.

And two firsts. First time I have used my own combo (I keep calling it a 'combi' , but that's a boiler isn't it? :D ). And first time a punter has bought me a drink cos he liked my playing!

Rock n roll! :D
[/quote]

Excellent Shell, sounds like you had a great time. I bet you were really buzzing.
We played at a multi-band all-dayer on Saturday in a pub a few miles north. This was a fundraiser for the 2015 Ripley Music Festival. We only got 35 minutes, but all went well and we made some new friends and useful contacts.
The pub had a full PA and back line that we used. However I did take my 'combi' wth me as back-up insurance.

Three gigs this weekend, and a bit of a mixed bag. Friday in a great little music pub, it's tiny so the audience is never huge but they are always engaged and enthusiastic so a good gig. We did it at short notice as another band cancelled, we've played there before and they were really pleased we could cover it.
Saturday at a barn of a pub that opens late. They wanted us from 9.30 to 12 with a break, first half not to bad, crowd-wise with some dancing too, but then thins out as the "normal" people drift off towards 11 and then starts to fill up again as people arrive from other places that are closing: mostly youngsters who have hit it pretty heavy already. Not our sort of crowd, really, and a bit thin in front of the band, and they don't really notice or respond (or care? no, perhaps a bit harsh) when one song stops and another starts which always p#sses off our drummer. We finish by 11.45 as it's hard going, and perform the quickest breakdown and load-out in recorded history (while packing it away properly, natch) Weirdly the landlady says she thought we were great, pays up instantly and would like to book us again! We'll see.
Yesterday a freebie at a small afternoon/evening charity event to raise money for a local hospice. Nice people, running it only four bands so plenty of time for stage swap-over, no pressure, no hassle, a good crowd, (70+ which is great for a pub garden event, with lot's of families and kids, really nice atmosphere) and we played well. An absolute pleasure. Open stage with PA and sound guy so thank god the sun shone all afternoon. We've got a gig there as well, so worth the effort.
Today: decorating at home. How Rock and Roll.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1408953166' post='2534761']

Excellent Shell, sounds like you had a great time. I bet you were really buzzing.
We played at a multi-band all-dayer on Saturday in a pub a few miles north. This was a fundraiser for the 2015 Ripley Music Festival. We only got 35 minutes, but all went well and we made some new friends and useful contacts.
The pub had a full PA and back line that we used. However I did take my 'combi' wth me as back-up insurance.
[/quote]

:D

Yes Neil, totally buzzing. I'm still in a state of disbelief that I'm doing this at all, when just over 3 yrs ago I couldn't play a note! Sometimes it feels as though I'm living someone else's life. Rather surreal but quite marvelous. :-)