Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played a 50th birthday party in Leeds on saturday. The girls nephew was there aged 6. During set up kept asking for a go on my guilar. I let him have a twang at half time. Cameras out throughout the room. Of course he then wanted to play again so I grabbed a tambourine from the car. He then joined us as a guest member. Very cute, got loads of attention from the ladies in the audience. Think we might invite him to all future gigs!! Wasn't something we especially love doing but cost nothing and was really appreciated by the crowd. All left happy

Edited by Bassmonkey

Played in Gwdihw on Saturday as part of the always excellent Fat City night.

What a gig! The crowd were AMAZING. At the beginning of 'Expansions' by Lonnie Liston Smith they
cheered the bassline! When does that ever happen? Only posting now 'cos the partying when on all through Sunday!
Still got a massive grin on my face :) :)

The (almost) full set has been uploaded here: [url="https://soundcloud.com/superchangouk/sets/fat-city-night-gwdihw-09-02"]https://soundcloud.c...ht-gwdihw-09-02[/url]
Pics to follow!

[IMG]http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii616/chaylockyer/Super%20Chango%20Pics%20at%20Gwdihw%20Fat%20City/lensflareband_zps10f23e40.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii616/chaylockyer/Super%20Chango%20Pics%20at%20Gwdihw%20Fat%20City/FATCITYlongsphere_zpse77c509c.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii616/chaylockyer/Super%20Chango%20Pics%20at%20Gwdihw%20Fat%20City/chaystevephil_zps7b1238c0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii616/chaylockyer/Super%20Chango%20Pics%20at%20Gwdihw%20Fat%20City/solarrobots_zpsa4c2a7a8.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by chaypup

Arrived at the venue to find that one of our guitarists/vocalists had broken his finger and couldn't play, so didn't brave the snow to lend just his vocal talents. Then the drummer realised that he had left the mixing desk at home, meaning he had to rush off to get it and stress levels were pretty high all round by the time he returned. A quick rejig of vocal responsibilities while we were plugging cables in and we were ready to go. Blizzard conditions meant that there were less people out and about than usual, but by the time we got going we had a reasonable crowd, all things considered. Four bars into the first song and the power to my amp shuts off due to a noise limiter. By now I'm feeling pretty frazzled, but despite everything the audience seemed to really like it and we finished up feeling quite pleased to have got through it all with happy punters.

We did our usual monthly jam night slot. Didn't go too badly considering our limited talents! :)

I had put some new Status Hotwire Halfwound strings on my Fender and I really loved the sound and feel. Someone on here recommended them, but I forget which thread it was in so I can't thank them. If it was you .. thank you for that recommendation. I really love these strings!! And they arrived 48hours after I ordered them. Result.

Anyway, back to the 'gig'. We were lucky enough to be on after a succession of guitar boys widdling away on their own to loops or backing tracks. So although any one of them was a better musician than any of us, we were the first proper 'band' on. And I think the punters like to see a full on band - its just more (dare I say it) 'entertaining' :D So we got quite a good reception.

Started with House of the Rising Sun. Sorry folks, but it is one of the few songs we are all capable of playing. Drummer went at it a bit faster than usual - I think he was over excited because both g/f and mother were in the audience. I didn't really mind as I'm sure the punters had heard 'House' done in numerous different ways at numerous different speeds, so ours was just a 'brisk' version to add to the catalogue :lol:

We then did 'Wild Thing' in honour of the late great Reg. Singer announced it was in tribute to Reg Presley. You could see smiles and nods from the older members of the crowd, but the younger ones seemed to be unaware of the name. All the more reason to do it then, thinks I. Went down pretty well, even though I sort of stoppped playing before the song had finished (just forgot how many verses there were :blush: ). I shot the guitarist an admiring glance and pretend I was letting him do a little solo unhindered, then picked it up again.

Ended our little set with an 'original' blues ( as original as any blues can be). None of us made any mistakes for once and singer really went for it! So it went down really well and we got a good hand. Good job we finished with that one!

Band on after us were excellent as usual . I hate it when we have to follow them (as occasionally happens at these jam nights), but last night it was the right way round!! :D

Onwards and upwards....

Well done 'Shell. We get that at our jam sessions. You can see the musos looking a bit shifty and nipping to the loo when there's a particularly sharp band on as no one wants to follow them. I remember Vince Eager turned up one week (now we really are going back a bit!) and me and a mate had to go up next after he'd finished. I just told my mate he could always say that Vince had once been our warm up act ;)

First time for us last night at the Board In Knaresborough. Acoustic guitarist broke a string in the first song and had to use lead guitarists strat so first set had to be juggled about a bit. Not many in all night but extremely good compliments at the end and very friendly landlord ( free drinks all night ) got the diary straight out for a re booking. High point probably had to be the guy who came up to us two songs after playing Teenage Kicks to ask "do you play teenage kicks ?" Strong shandy I guess in North Yorkshire !!

Played at the Roadhouse in Brum. Was the 1st time I have used my potential new head (Ashdown EB180H..currently borrowing it before I buy). Was the most fun I've had on stage in a while. Sound was a bit too bass heavy on stage, couldn't really hear much guitar when stood near my amp...But I like to stand more in the middle anyways so wasn't much of a problem

Saturday. Not too bad. Made more mistakes in the second set than the first after being jinxed by someone saying it didn't notice that I was depping DOH!

Crowd were OK-good & I got to do my usual one song lead vox. Getting more confident with that. Might go for others in the future.

Started with the Squier P but changed to the red L2500 after a couple of songs and had good sounds going with that.

Twas good. A warm up set for a few special dates later on in the year..and hope we didn't give too much way even though we didn't have the bigger line-up on show.
The arrangements were getting there and we had a good crowd.
The year is getting started in earnest ....and we picked up a few more parties.

Horns rehearsal this week so once the charts are scored that is those songs set in stone....but the groove is getting there.

All good..pretty pleased.

Did two 45 minute sets at The Wharf in Macclesfield.. Trainwreck recovery 101! Dropped some pretty big clangers, I remember in an original tune we had to skip an entire bridge o.0

We were using in-ear monitors (for a pub gig?) and the guitarist was using a wireless, so as you can imagine the guitar wireless packed in, something went wrong with the in-ears and I could only get the stereo-right, no left channel. Vocals kept coming in and out.. Nightmare.

I've never laughed so much in all my life! The crowd seemed to receive us really well though, so you can't argue with that I suppose.

So last night was my first gig with a new band (they're not new, I'm their new bassist), and the first gig I've played in nearly two years, and I have to say I thoroughly bloody well enjoyed it! :D A great crowd, who, when told I was new to the band, gave me a rousing reception and made my night. I made a few mistakes (nerves) but we only had two rehearsals together prior to last night, and out of a set list of 30+ songs I had to learn about 80% of them as I'd never played them before, so I've had a lot of homework over the past two weeks to fit in around shift work. Last night was also the first time I'd gigged my new set-up (GK MB210 combo + 2 x P-basses) and that GK has serious bottom end. I've now gone from hardly picking a bass up for two years, to having my diary filled up with around 40 gigs for the rest of the year! Looking forward to the next gig next weekend! :D

First gig working with a new 'band'. It's a party/functions covers 4 piece which revolves around one guy (singer/occasional 2nd guitar). He then seems to have a collection of other musicians that come in and out to fill other places though drummer's been with him for 2 yrs. The main guitarist was doing only his 2nd or 3rd gig and of course I was coming in cold having not met or rehearsed with any of them before. Of the 33 songs I was sent to learn we did 28 of them and with surprisingly few problems all considered. I thought I put in a shift with bvox on top of the bass, not sure how much bvox came through - no monitors at all!. Bit of a baptism of fire (first 2 songs in set Going Underground followed by My Generation - no pressure then!). Plenty of encouraging 'well played mate' between songs from band leader. Very busy pub, a fairly packed dance floor and crowd seemed well up for it. Hopefully he'll use me again at their other monthly residency at another venue next week. If there's more space I'll take my wedge monitor, was very tight stage area last night. After not regularly gigging for a year or so it was good to get back into it.

Doncaster with Dick Venom & The Terrortones last night. First gig since NYE, and as we've been spending the past two months auditioning drummers our first rehearsal with the current one in the afternoon before the gig. Surprisingly few mistakes in the rehearsal and similarly in the gig itself.

Doncaster's a bit of strange place (apologies to anyone from there). Saturday night in what looks like the town centre and we appear to be the only people on the streets. The satnav couldn't find a usable route to the venue so we spent 30 minutes driving around trying to find non-pedestrian streets going in the right direction. Must have gone round "the big church" at least 4 times before we found the way...

Not a bad little venue, and a friendly promoter (who's also the PA engineer). Free beers (and shots) for the band. It looks a little empty during the first band's set, but when we start playing I can see plenty of people and they are all down at the front! They don't even flinch when Mr Venom vaults over the monitors to join them on RockinRollin' VampireMan, Sounds pretty good on stage and considering that we haven't played together with this line-up for 8 weeks it's remarkably tight - something that both of the other bands on the bill compliment us on. The band playing after us look absolutely devastated that they are expected to follow what we've just done, so all-in-all pretty much a result as they say.

Sold a decent amount of CDs and the promoter has asked us back for Halloween.

First pub gig of the year in the sleepy market town of Market Bosworth.

The landlady had done a great job publicising the night and, with our little following, we played to a packed house.
Pub totally packed, landladies 'target figure' smashed by 9.30 and a good night was had by all. :)

Picked up a St Patricks Night gig for another pub while we were there, so work starts on a new set this week.

Played our first away gig, up in Brum on Thursday night in a tiny pub in Digbeth.

We were the 2nd of 3 support bands for Peter & the Test Tube Babies. It was all very laid back and relaxed. Played to a decent crowd and we went down well. The promoter has offered us a few other support slots.

All in all a pretty good night.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1361703695' post='1989366'] Doncaster with Dick Venom & The Terrortones last night. First gig since NYE, and as we've been spending the past two months auditioning drummers our first rehearsal with the current one in the afternoon before the gig. Surprisingly few mistakes in the rehearsal and similarly in the gig itself. Doncaster's a bit of strange place (apologies to anyone from there). Saturday night in what looks like the town centre and we appear to be the only people on the streets. The satnav couldn't find a usable route to the venue so we spent 30 minutes driving around trying to find non-pedestrian streets going in the right direction. Must have gone round "the big church" at least 4 times before we found the way... Not a bad little venue, and a friendly promoter (who's also the PA engineer). Free beers (and shots) for the band. It looks a little empty during the first band's set, but when we start playing I can see plenty of people and they are all down at the front! They don't even flinch when Mr Venom vaults over the monitors to join them on RockinRollin' VampireMan, Sounds pretty good on stage and considering that we haven't played together with this line-up for 8 weeks it's remarkably tight - something that both of the other bands on the bill compliment us on. The band playing after us look absolutely devastated that they are expected to follow what we've just done, so all-in-all pretty much a result as they say. Sold a decent amount of CDs and the promoter has asked us back for Halloween. [/quote]

Excellent gig Mr St. Clair :thank_you: It was a mix of good songs with a tight performance, not just from a sound point of view but visually too. I'm sure we were all wondering what Mr Venom was going to do next? Doncaster town centre did seem like a ghost town..very strange. Anyway, nice to meet a fellow basschatter and thanks for your advice !!

Phil.

Just got in from a cracking gig at the Fox and Hounds in Walton on the Hill, nr Tadworth. Usual bunch of slightly inebriated punters, we were a bit rusty having had a few weeks off but it went well.
Best bit of the night was a visit from our very own Seashell who's down for the Bass show and messaged me on the off chance I was gigging. Here she is in her full glory tackling my Status 5! I've threatened her that next time she's coming up for a song :)

I played with Madam Fade at the Bowstring Bar in Leicester last night. Bit of an odd set up for us as its a non-music bar, the promoter brought a vocal PA and stuck some originals bands on. Got some funny looks from the regular Friday night crew as we played but saw some nodding heads as well as a good reception from our usual crowd.

No soundcheck but we played well and really enjoyed ourselves, maybe partly because we hadn't been hanging around for hours between soundcheck and playing which seems to get us all a bit antsy. The promoter/organiser loved it and said he'd be in touch about future dates, a musician/promoter who played before us wants us to play for him too. Good times.

The tiny mini rig (see sig) worked a treat without PA support and made the load in and out very easy and contributed to the relaxed feeling and enjoyment of the gig.

Edited by rOB

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1362188681' post='1997075']
Just got in from a cracking gig at the Fox and Hounds in Walton on the Hill, nr Tadworth. Usual bunch of slightly inebriated punters, we were a bit rusty having had a few weeks off but it went well.
Best bit of the night was a visit from our very own Seashell who's down for the Bass show and messaged me on the off chance I was gigging. Here she is in her full glory tackling my Status 5! I've threatened her that next time she's coming up for a song :)
[/quote]

I will have to perfect my bass face. That cheesy grin just aint rock n roll ! :D

Great gig, Colin.

For some reason I read part of Colin's post as ' and massaged me on the offchance' which sounded like some rock'n'roll euphamism if ever I heard one.
Meanwhile I was dragged in at short notice to play small pub on the outskirts of Leicester last night. Had to squeeze a 4 piece band into an area which was about suitable for a duo. Ah well, punters seemed to like it and we are playing again tonight so back in the saddle to iron out some of the errors of last night (though none of the band spotted them so I guess joe public was none the wiser eirther!). If anyone reading this is likely to be at the H2O in Hucknall tonight, consider yourselves warned, it'll get noisy.

My first proper outing with my new Spector euro4 LX , and WOW , it was superb , I bypassed the pedals as nothing really needed any FX and just played with tone available on the guitar and it was very impressive , the gig was a buzz , we played some stuff better than we had for a while and it was sweet . the PA amp fan packed in after 4 songs and was smelling very odd, so a quick reconfigure got us back up without too much fuss, then the drummers kick pedal fell apart 4 songs from the end , it was amazing how much sound space that left me ;) , and got called up for 3 encores B) .
Great night , blooded a couple of new ones , can't wait for the next gig .