Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[i]Odd gig tonight , played a local gigging pub that was [/i]'lightly attended ' we played well and our sound was pretty good , I guess the quantity of the crowd was balanced by the very kind and complimentary comments that they offered us . we have 2 parties pencilled in on the back of the gig (at good money)
The really bizzare thing is that it is known as a rock pub ,so we built the set list to suit , but with only half a crowd we changed on the fly a fair bit and ended up with everyone dancing/ jiving and rocking , The best bit was that they said they loved the variety of Rock , pop , classic and oldies etc I guess that rather than rocking the place, we partied it .

Last n8ght was pretty amazing although it had its quirks. Took a few tracks until we could here the drums properly and I could barely hear the guitarist at all which led to a few interesting moments. Top that off with the guitarists loop pedal going haywire so it had to be left out which is a big shame.

So far a recipe for disaster however. ..

What a night and what a crowd! Thurbs wven came along and brought his son and his friend along too. We had head banging, mosh pits, a wall of death, someone got cracked ribs and the grand finale? We got pretty much the whole crowd on stage with us moshing along around us, we were seriously thinking we were going to go through the stage at one point. All in all a great night, we didnt break even but it was so worth it :D even so

LOUD ... but I remembered the words.

Fairly regular dep & the guitarist is a tad deaf so cranks his amp and theough the first set I was struggling to hear me. Second set was better.

Different drummer who I've known for years but never played with . It's been a while since I depped with this lot & he has only a couple of times before but is very good so we blagge most of it with nods.

Onwards to tonights marathon

It went much better than I was expecting.

I put my back out on Wednesday morning, had some physio on Thursday afternoon and spent Friday doing the exercises I'd been shown and generally pushing through the pain barrier to get everything working again. I took my Jazz Bass just in case but was able to play upright all night. Phew!

Would be nice if we'd had one. I'm getting pissed off with my band. 2 of them work shifts so its hard enough to get them together anyway without the other 2 insisting that rehearsals and gigs take lower precedence than their social lives. And because of that attitude we've sh*t out on crimble and NYE gigs. Anyone need a guitarist, or a guitarist who can find his way around an electric bass?

Friday. A dep & really loud. It went OK and I managed to remember the words to All Right Now, so my first "lead" vocal :o

Saturday. With my main band at a favourite gig. Long nigt and I obviously have not been practising enough as I developed a blister. Bar one potential wreck e managed to plough through it went really well. A couple of new songs and a couple of reworked ones. One of those night when everything you go for works, Drummer & I were sharing the one brain and totally locked (damn well ought to be after all these years but some nights are even more so)

Only downsides;[list]
[*]my replaced wrist is really aching this morning,
[*]I took the Squier P but it has different straplocks to my other basses and though I put out the strap for it when I juggled basses to the twin bag I somehow managed not to pick it up so that had to stay in the bag all night :facepalm:
[*]the video battery went flat after 20 mins (it had been showing FULL) and the digital recorder did not get switched on :dash1:
[/list]
Otherwise, we rocked and, though I rather immodestly say it myself, when we're good we are bloody good :blush:

Great!

Supporting Demented Are Go at The Old Angel in Nottingham. And what a raucous, sweaty night it was too. The venue was pretty much rammed, leaving little room for Mr Venom to do his thing in the audience and the small stage area made for some very near misses with headstocks and mic stands vs. various body parts. First gig with our usual drummer after a almost 2 months of dep drummers and what a difference it made! We breezed through any mistakes and delivered a storming set. Another mic stand bit the dust after 3 pervious gigs of being held together by sweat and gaffer tape was reduced to a twisted ruin from which there is no return. My Thumpinator arrived just in time for it's first real test and IMO passed with flying colours - everything sounded much tighter and more defined at the bottom end.

Unfortunately this week our drummer announced that he would definitely be leaving the band next year - we have gigs booked up to April which he will honour if required, but we need to start looking for a full time replacement as his increased family commitments are now at odds with the extra time the rest of us want to put into the band. We'll be sad to see him go because he's a great drummer, but it's time for us all to move on... :-(

Edit on a more positive note here's a photo of us in action.

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/A9ESek6CcAQ3mZGjpg-large.jpg[/IMG]

I'm told there's more on their way...

Edited by BigRedX

I had a fun one - my old psychedelic folk band (who stopped playing a couple of years ago) got back together to play a friends 70th birthday party in a village hall in Cumbria, up on the moors. We had some troubles with the PA, but it was a fun night, with a proper village hall sort of atmosphere - small kids and old hippies dancing! It's been a couple of years since I've gigged the double bass with a full band rather than just a duo, which reminded me that I ought to do more of that.

Just did a gig with The Tuesday Club at Bar 62 in St Albans. In accordance with our oddness, we`d decided to do an afternoon Jazz & Mince Pies gig - we`re not a jazz band, btw - where we played our set in a jazz-style. To top it off, the majority of it was unrehearsed, and the bits that were, two of the band hadn`t come along to the rehearsals, and one who did couldn`t do the gig due to a bad migraine.

And it went great. We thoroughly enjoyed it, as did the audience.

First two gigs with our new lady vocalist on Friday and Saturday. Couldn't be more different - the first was a British Legion club filled full of our friends & family (who were fine) and a bunch of the locals who were coked out of their heads! They were very enthusiastic though...
The second was a Christmas party for the local bus company. Imagine the stereotypical grumpy dour bus driver, multiply him/her by 40, put them into the back of a hall sized to hold the planned 250 turnout, and imagine the crazy wild fun night. We had the run of the buffet though which was really good :)

Was my first gig in around 4/5 months last night and it went really really well! It was an assessment gig for my HND and it was great, we only had a small set, 3 songs but, we treated this as a pro gig and original set list was over 12 songs but we cut it right down so we had the strongest set possible and it was a great, great show! Can't wait for the next one and getting the original songs down so as to build up a good set!

gig with London college of music big band great fun and best of all finished with an earth wind and fire medley cooking nicely and i drop a lick in the middle of september and just hear whoops from the pianist and drummer :D (problem is i've gotta do that every time now)

recommend playing with a big band at least once in your playing career its great fun and the best part is theres loads of people to get pissed with after the gig

Did a Christmas lights turn on gig last Sat. -5C outdoors! No feeling in the fingers at all after 2 songs. Played ror about an hour. Spent most of Sunday thawing out! Here's a snippet.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn_xrJ_Iu3w&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn_xrJ_Iu3w&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/url]

Did a gig for a company Christmas do the other night - I've played with the Guitarist / Singer a couple of times, years ago, never played with the keyboard player before and never met the drummer! And they don't play with one another either, so it was a complete scratch band.

Luckily the keyboards and drummer were pro/ex pro, so were really easy to play with, and the guitarist chose a very basic set (not sure any song reached the dizzy heights of 4 chords) - which was just as well as the rehearsal consisted of 25mins before the auridence turned up and included the sound check! Thanks to Guy at Roadtrip in Old Street for doiung a great job with the sound.

And we all had a great time - including the audience :-)

Last gig of 2012 for us at the Green Note in Camden. Its an "intimate" venue but has a great atmosphere and is well known on the folk circuit. Six of us fitted on a teeny stage, helped by our drummer bringing a dramatically stripped down kit and me playing my Takamine acoustic bass, rather than the full-blown DB. Given the venue and its normal clientele we played our more acoustic-y/folk-y numbers and we got a great reception. Plus we actually got paid a decent amount for a change (which is nice). A very good way to sign off for this year :)

Edited by Clarky

Played a local venue; our own hard driven acoustic stuff (couple of covers for good measure) kind of like Seether unplugged. Decent reception which was nice and played my EUB for the first time live. Really got into it and loved the addition bottom end from that long scale... I've never played fretless before either so there's loads to learn - Kept it simple and it seemed to work.

MEH. Played OK but sound was it's usual. Bit pissed off as we sound checked and it sounded good. Comment was made by vox that the previous gig had got painfully loud towards the end and to keep levels down. Started the gig and slowly but surely the PA came up in level - not the feckin backline but the PA (IMO). Had a bit of a moan with the drummer in the break. It's not the backline but PA that seems to go through the roof each time though blame gets cast back on us. I don't touch levels all night, just dig in a bit harder as the night progresses, but the comp/limiter should be holding that pretty much in check. Something has got to change. I fear a fractious meeting in the offing. :(

Not great tonight. Did a Blues band dep. Worst drummer in the universe (but a really nice guy) vocalist / rhthym guitar totally disorganised. Dropped a pile of lyric sheets all over the stage, changed guitars and spent 3 minutes putting the strap together (shoulder pad unthreaded) as he only seems to have the one strap for 3 guitars, and then went off for his jacket where he'd left his plectrum!! Not exactly great continuity. Like being in a band with the Chuckle brothers.

The lead guitarist ( a mate) was the only one I could rely on as he's had loads of stage experience.

Couldn't wait to get home <_<

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1354349447' post='1885009']
We played a great set, invented another new song on the fly (love it when we do that!) and the dancefloor was packed with hot girls getting sweaty and loving the music - I love gigging!
[/quote]

No broken strings this time Chay ;)

I wa seeing a theme developing, first you, then the guitarist.... Didn't the drummer break a drumstick or something :P

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1355038618' post='1893151']
No broken strings this time Chay ;)

I wa seeing a theme developing, first you, then the guitarist.... Didn't the drummer break a drumstick or something :P
[/quote]

No broken strings, though the drummer DID break a drumstick - when he threw it at the guitarist's head for coming in a beat early!
When are you coming to see us then eh? :)

Great gig last night!

8 of us on a teeny tiny stage so it was a bit tricky to know where to point my headstock but it did mean we could all hear each other perfectly.

It was underneath a Caribbean restaurant called Mr G's and the first set was pretty quiet at the beginning with only 2 people there but 5 or 6 songs in loads of people turned up and started grooving - love it!

G, the owner, sorted us out with food and drinks all night on top of a very decent payment - result!

Loving the gigs with this band at the moment :)