Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1349699544' post='1829210']
Played the Scream Lounge in Croydon on Saturday. A long way from our 'fanbase' Nice venue. The guys there work really very hard to promote the place.
Lots of people to see the Main band who were excellent and annoyingly about 20 years younger than us. We played pretty well.
Good fun and we even had a few people turn up to specifically see us who we didn't know at all but had stumbled across us on the net which was gratifying.
The new song worked well live which was a bonus too.
[/quote]

We played there..great venue with great people from what I can remember..wouldn't mind a return gig there...must get on the phone.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1350087978' post='1834570']
Sorry to miss the above :rolleyes: , but a treat was had by one and all when me and the Bones went to see the Terror Tones.

Appypollyloggies for the crap pic, but here is our very own BRX starring as 'Rex St.Clair' ripping it up something wicked..

Great Stuff!

[/quote][quote name='silddx' timestamp='1350192203' post='1835572']
That's wickid Mike! Great band, and the leather pants look ace :D
[/quote]
[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1350224853' post='1835952']
An excellent gig, Mike. To all BC'ers, if you've not caught Dick Venom yet, put them to the top of your list to go see. You'll have a rockin' good time :)
[/quote]

Thanks for the endorsements!

We had a really good time - great gig and great promoters who know how to organise a fine evening and keep things going even after the main band has to drop out at the very last minute. With a bit of luck we'll be back in London soon.

If you don't want to view the whole gig I've made separate video clips of "Love Me Tendons, Love Me Goo" and "Lilly & The Killers" + "Invasion Of The SpiderQueen" and put them up on our [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/terrortones]YouTube channel.[/url]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1350326283' post='1837395']
Thanks for the endorsements!

We had a really good time - great gig and great promoters who know how to organise a fine evening and keep things going even after the main band has to drop out at the very last minute. With a bit of luck we'll be back in London soon.

If you don't want to view the whole gig I've made separate video clips of "Love Me Tendons, Love Me Goo" and "Lilly & The Killers" + "Invasion Of The SpiderQueen" and put them up on our [url="http://www.youtube.com/user/terrortones"]YouTube channel.[/url]
[/quote]

Any idea if you'll be doing the loooonnggg haul down to Brighton again anytime, I know a few dodgy old geezers who once upon a time wore big bad psychobilly quiffs who are well up for catching your lot if you do :D

We did look into the possibility of doing "Stay Sick" again on the Saturday since they had also booked The Jackets and obviously that wasn't going to happen. However our drummer couldn't make it. We'll be back as soon as we can find someone to put us on and make the trip worthwhile. Hopefully some time next year.

Played a fundraiser for the upcoming ska musical I'm in - ON A MONDAY NIGHT.
Did we raise much money? Did we ****! Although we did pass the hat round the 3 people who were there.
Well done producers, brilliant idea. :rolleyes:

Also our guitarist is p155 poor, the trumpet player was awful and the saxophonist likes to make up song structure as she goes along.

If the money for the musical wasn't so good I'd be out of there already!

Edited by chaypup

Not a gig but a recording session last Saturday night in which my trio recorded 6 of my tunes wot I wrote. I am purposely leaving the tapes alone until I come back from an imminent holiday but some of it felt pretty much ok so I am looking forward to seeing whether or not I have a credible demo at last. If I have, I can progress on my website trioeast.co.uk (which is not currently up and running).

Just back from a cracking gig watching The Junk Yard Dogs in Uxbridge. A very friendly crowd. Perhaps the first time a Pub Manager has come up to me and said 'can you tell the band to turn themselves up?' Priceless!. And the chaps were sounding spot-on. I'm sure there'll be a few photo's along in a bit.

How was our gig? Cr@p.

Stage sound was dreadful, though assured that out front it was good. Songs fell apart, and drummer finished this one with "I don't think I can do this anymore" :( as opposed to "Why do we bother". Sort of echoes how I feel \at the mo, so we shall see if the r/h on Wednesday goes ahead, or if that was the last time Alibi bother the public at large.

Bollocks!! :(

Oxjam gig last night at Manhattan 34 cocktail bar in Leicester.

Bit of a worry when we arrived and were told that only vocals would be put through the PA which was a surprise so no support for my mini bass rig.

I shouldn't have concerned myself, the set up worked well, wandered out front to check what the audience were hearing and the sound was pretty good. We played ok, the audience seemed to like us, nice comments afterwards. Really getting into the frontman thing and actually starting to enjoy (a little bit) singing and being the focus.

Lent my amp and cab to the following bass player (ungrateful toerag that he was) so got to hear it from the audience as well. My little SP210 cabinet did a great job of projecting the bass into the room which I was really pleased with.

A really fun night all in all.

Last night was a wedding party with 225 guests, in a large ballroom at a local hotel. Great stage, reasonable acoustics, got set up early morning so we were nice and relaxed for the 8.45 start. Our last few wedding gigs have all been brilliant, so the signs were that this one should be no different. Wrong! For the whole of the first set (1 hour 10 mins), the dance floor was full of screaming 5 year olds, without a grown up or a parent in sight. Our guitarist nearly walked off the stage at one point, and wanted to make an announcement along the lines of "wont you please control your damn screaming kids or we are off", but just about stopped himself. It can only get better in the second set we thought, once the falling down water had a chance to work. Wrong again!! Not a single person got up to dance until about the 30th song we played (Jailhouse Rock), and they didnt last long. By the end, we were just going through the motions, so for a bit of fun, just to try one last desperate thing to liven the place up, our singer suddenly started doing "Just wanna dance the night away" by the Mavericks, which we havent played or rehearsed for at least 5 years, and blow me, 20 people got up to dance! To continue the theme, he carried on with stuff from our back catalogue, some of which we hadnt done for 10 years (Shangalang, Hi Ho Silver Lining, Lady in Red, etc.,), all of which we just about muddled through, and the floor was packed at the end. Surreal!!
Got an email sent to all band members this morning from a member of the bride's family apologising for the poor night, although she said that everyone there had enjoyed sitting listening to the music very much. Many more nights like this and I think some of us would pack in the wedding thing............

Another Friday night in Newcastle for Dick Venom & The Terrortones playing a friend's birthday party.

The whole evening was a bit eventful. After picking everyone up (including our stand-in drummer for next 6 or so weeks), what we thought was a minor niggle in the band transport looked like turning into something much more serious so we turned around and went back to Nottingham to borrow another suitable vehicle off a friend. Of course that meant we then got stuck in the rush hour traffic leaving the city, so it was a little disheartening to find that after almost 3 hours on the road I was less than 5 minutes from my house. It was almost 9.00pm when we finally arrived at our destination rather than 6.30-ish when we had hoped to be there.

It was then that we discovered that there was no PA. The place where to party was being held used to be a music venue (which was why it had been chosen for the event) but apparently after a recent remodelling they's replaced the PA with a self-contained sound system to which there was no easy access to allow us to plug anything in. Luckily one of the guests had a guitar amp that was easily available, and we managed to find an XLR to jack lead to allow us to plug the mic in...

And so the gig went ahead. After all the trials earlier in the evening we had lots of pent-up energy that needed to be let out, and apart from the fact that vocals were way to quiet and Mr Venom didn't have along enough mic lead to allow to get to grips with the audience in his usual manner, we played a storming set. Our dep drummer absolutely nailed all the cues - stop/starts weird bar counts and the odd bar of 3/4 (isn't this punk rock music supposed to be simple?) and that was without really being able to hear any of the vocal cues. The audience loved it and called us back for 2 encores, a reworked version of TestTube FloozyGoo which fake starts with the VampireMan drum pattern, and then a supper-fast version of StickyPants Trance.

After that we went back to the Birthday Girl's house where we were bing put up for the night with more drinking and good company. The next I know it's the following morning, and I'm lying on one of the settees cover in a blanket being offered coffee and painkillers for my hangover.

It doesn't get much more Rock n Roll than that...

Had a good one in a new pub for us and we were coming off a bit of downtime... so hadn't played together for about 3 weeks or so.
And then we threw in all the older material just to catch us out..... well, it didn't so people must have put their time in
and it went really well.
Lots of Impro and the band was cooking... maybe we should do this more often.

One thing, I think we should do... is be willing to change the set on the run..as opposed to 'predicting' it over a week in advance.
It became clear they wanted our older muso set rather than newer stuff...but we didn't really suffer for it....but still something to
be aware of...

I think this is a throw back to when I was in a very popular function band in my teens and the lead singer could read the audience like a book and navigate us thro..
To this day..never met anyone like her for being able to do that.

However, the best thing to come out of the evening...from a musical POV..is that we have a couple of showy gigs to prepare for and we can afford to augment the band... so we will like to add a horn section and girly BV's...
That will set up the gigs as something different..and be worth the ticket..??

Had a good gig in Okehampton last night. It was the carnival so the town was packed. We hadn't played for weeks, or even seen each other for that matter! There were a few 'moments' but we really enjoyed it and the punters seemed to as well. We were chatting to happy people after each set.

I used my new amp for the first time and have just put a SD quarter pounder in the P bass. I was grinning all night. Best sound I have had for a while.

We had top night last night, a great crowd who we kept on the boil all night , and a totty fest to boot. Rhythm guitar blew his amp , but used the singers who only plays the odd bit . in all a good evening . a couple of weekends of now just in time to get a chance to run through some christmas numbers :o

Awful :-(
I knew I should have cancelled but it was the first gig in a new venue that a friend has opened; so I really didnt want to.
I knew I was in trouble when at three hours before opening time I still had no voice.
I damaged it about a month ago, coupled with a nasty flu'y cold and being a teacher, plus non stop gigs, its just not had a chance to recover.
Throw in the fact that lots of our stuff is quite high to sing and you see the problem.
I'd tried everything, steam, an entire bottle of honey, all sorts, but it was beyond saving.
That and the venue is out of the way, up three flights of stairs and you have to buzz to get in meant the turn out wasn't great either.
I was sweating, shivering and shaking, poorly as hell, utterly ruined one song by being barely able to stand let alone play the riff :-(
Made it and shuffled home feeling pretty rotten.
Just hope I'm better for this weekends Halloween gig.

[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1350824780' post='1843831']
Had a good gig in Okehampton last night. It was the carnival so the town was packed. We hadn't played for weeks, or even seen each other for that matter! There were a few 'moments' but we really enjoyed it and the punters seemed to as well. We were chatting to happy people after each set.

I used my new amp for the first time and have just put a SD quarter pounder in the P bass. I was grinning all night. Best sound I have had for a while.
[/quote]

Are you playing for Hooked now then? Excellent, say hi to Frankie and Debbie from me. :)
Missed it sadly as I was in Caterham for a wedding this weekend.

Guilty as charged. :D
Will say hi.

Dean

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1350837262' post='1844051']
Are you playing for Hooked now then? Excellent, say hi to Frankie and Debbie from me. :)
Missed it sadly as I was in Caterham for a wedding this weekend.
[/quote]

Had a lovely Kit Richardson gig in Chiswick for Oxjam on Saturday. We got in a slight panic as Kit and Ali (one of our violinists) were victims of London transport and got held up in East London. Kit got there with minutes to spare but as I had set up the drummers breakables while he picked her up from the station we actually went on only 1 minute late. Sadly, Ali only made it in time for the last song.

The crowd were lovely! A girl came from Nottingham to see us which is amazing! We got loads of great feedback and sold the two remaining EPs. A bassist from another band seemed rather taken with my chrome Warwick, as was a nice young lady who thought it was a guitar :rolleyes: We all got a bit pissed afterwards, it was a really lovely evening :D

It was great to see Happy Jack, Paul the Drums, and bluejay there (thanks so much for coming guys!)

bluejay (Sylivia) took some stunning photos (Sylvia, they are superb! Thank you x)

[url="http://www.flickr.com//photos/bluejay_my_photos/sets/72157631815168288/show/"]http://www.flickr.com//photos/bluejay_my_photos/sets/72157631815168288/show/[/url]

Cool pics and what a cool looking Warwick. Shiny, :D

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1351003874' post='1846079']
A bassist from another band seemed rather taken with my chrome Warwick,

[url="http://www.flickr.com//photos/bluejay_my_photos/sets/72157631815168288/show/"]http://www.flickr.co...815168288/show/[/url]
[/quote]