Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1351003874' post='1846079']

bluejay (Sylivia) took some stunning photos (Sylvia, they are superb! Thank you x)

[url="http://www.flickr.com//photos/bluejay_my_photos/sets/72157631815168288/show/"]http://www.flickr.co...815168288/show/[/url]
[/quote]

A few of them should be in the Photo comp this month !!

Thank you all for your appreciation of Kit Richardson's set of photos! And thank you Nigel for reminding me to enter that comp before it's closed :rolleyes: :D

I've now entered the last shot of that set, which I like a lot too. I wish I could have included Nige in the scene, but the room was too crowded to walk far enough to fit everybody in.

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1350218071' post='1835843']
Midnight Hour played its first gig last night. Was at The Ten Bells (my local). Many of the regulars were there who may not have been normal Saturday night drinkers but they turned up to see what we were like. 3 households in my street were represented. Large numbers of family & friends of other band members were present.

Everybody had a good time, I could see that from where I was standing (or perched on my tall stool which I do to save my back). Lots of huge grins, expressions of being hghly impressed, and offers of drinks followed afterwards. One regular wanted our contact details so he could recommend us to a venue he knows in a nearby small towm, and another who runs the local private car hire and spends a lot of his time ferrying corporate bigwigs between airports and their homes or business premises wanted a pile of business cards so he could recommend us for corporate functions.

Not everything was played the way I thought it should, but we still enjoyed ourselves, and I would like to think we will soon be ready for the weddings & functions market that we're aiming at.

Edit: I'm pleased that Shell had a good gig. She's been a bit doubtful about her own abilities but seems to be getting with it. Our cats wouldn't get on (Roobi doesn't get on with [i]anyone[/i]) but it's always nice to have the same colour scheme in common ;)
[/quote]

Aaw Phil I somehow missed this when you posted it ! Thanks:-)
Am posting this from my phone with a purring cat on me chest which is making texting a bit tricky. :-)

Second show of RUDE:A Ska Musical last night. Band was noticeably tighter than opening night, playing almost perfectly until a major sax [url="https://sites.google.com/site/7947e518703066c9/"]quog[/url] at the start of Ghost Town :rolleyes:

Some parts of this show are really tricky - we do a version of Gangsters which has stops for narration after each section and halfway through each verse and coming back in on a non-musical cue is hard!

Otherwise though it's great fun and I get to have a fight every night too! :)

Show No.3 of RUDE:

Didn't do a full sound check and as a result my levels were a little low for the first couple of songs till I got a chance to get back to the amp - that'll learn me! :rolleyes:

We had a soprano sax covering for the trumpet player last night which I had initially thought was a terrible idea, but when it came to the show he was really good - it wasn't the same but it worked.

This show has also taught me the art of the quick slide down the neck to end a sonfg - something which I'd never really been able to do before for some reason but I've got it sounding nice now :)

7 more to go!

Dep gig from hell at a restaurant/pub. Got a provisional 'set list' on Tues, worked hard on learning as much as I could in time allowed (was sent >35 songs). Turned up and spotted the band were advertised as 'able to play anything' and 'will take requests'. Ended up actually playing maybe 20% of provided list, rest was just thrown at me on the spot whether I knew it or not. The landlord wanted to do some singing himself (none from set list) then some kid turned up that the landlord had promised could play along with us for a few songs (none from set list). The lights were arranged to avoid them shining in the eyes of any people sat eating which meant they were directly in my eyes instead, when I tried to look at the band leader to guess where he was playing on his guitar (something I'm not that great at, don't play guitar) all I saw was a silouhette, dress code was all black. Went on at 9:45 and finished about 12:40am with a 10min break in the middle, got home about 2:30am. Backing him again at a jam session tomorrow afternoon. My thrill at the prospect is unbound...

Just got back from the last gig with the trio (sacked the drummer who didn't turn up a few weeks ago so had a dep tonight) Wasn't our best performance but the audience was up for loads of fun so we joined in.

First time ever in 44 years of playing that I've constituted one half of a guitar / Kazoo solo battle (whilst playing the bass) It went down a storm. Had the whole place in fits. Got even better when the guitarist decided whip out the duck call for the solo in Smokin in the boy's room.

Bar owners said they'd not had so much fun in years. Weird or what?

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1351325170' post='1850026']
Dep gig from hell at a restaurant/pub. Got a provisional 'set list' on Tues, worked hard on learning as much as I could in time allowed (was sent >35 songs). Turned up and spotted the band were advertised as 'able to play anything' and 'will take requests'. Ended up actually playing maybe 20% of provided list, rest was just thrown at me on the spot whether I knew it or not. The landlord wanted to do some singing himself (none from set list) then some kid turned up that the landlord had promised could play along with us for a few gig (none from set list). The lights were arranged to avoid them shining in the eyes of any people sat eating which meant they were directly in my eyes instead, when I tried to look at the band leader to guess where he was playing on his guitar (something I'm not that great at, don't play guitar) all I saw was a silouhette, dress code was all black. Went on at 9:45 and finished about 12:40am with a 10min break in the middle, got home about 2:30am. Backing him again at a jam session tomorrow afternoon. My thrill at the prospect is unbound...
[/quote]

That sounds like a very stressful experience! You must have done well to get the another gig. Well done",

Played at a warehouse party last - amazing fun!
The vocal sound took a couple of songs to get right as the sound guy was stoned off his box and we
had to turn right down at one point as the council noise chaps came round but 10 mins later and the
levels started going up again. :)

Will have video soon!

Had a good gig with the latin/funk band last night. Our keyboard player was with his other band so it was just guitar, bass, drums, percussion and one female vocal. We had to drop a few keyboard heavy numbers and put in a few safe covers to pad the set out. It worked out fine. The audience were really up for it and the landlord was watching all night and said how much he enjoyed it.

On another note I took along my freshly completed Squier frankenstein bass. It has an '80s Squier Jazz neck and a SD quarter pounder and it plays and sounds great .
I finished it off with a set of flat wound strings which was a mistake for me. I tried it on the first three numbers but i wasn't feeling it. I guess flat wounds are not for me. This week it will be restrung with rounds and i will be taking it to my next gig.

I played my first gig on bass in just under two years last night!. Depped for a guy at work whose bassist never turns up, pub gig with lots of the usual indie pub singalongs in there. Which I've never played.

Picked up my bass at about midday and learnt 24 songs in three hours, had a half a song soundcheck at the pub and then went for it. A couple of hairy moments but on the whole it went great, they offered me the full time job after the first set! Had to decline as the function band I'm playing g****r for have got a pretty full diary already, but I was made up to dust off the bass! I've missed it, was good to be home.

Oh, and I'd borrowed my mates ridiculously over the top Ashdown rig (ABM900 and 810) as my Ampeg has a blown driver - sounded incredible. I think I'm converted, I might not let him have it back. No wooliness in sight, it just growled with my Sandberg.

Mixed feelings about last night's Dick Venom gig at the Arches in Coventry.

Nice new looking venue, with a decent sized stage and good sounding PA. Friendly and enthusiastic promotor, although not the best organised - we turned up as requested at just after 6.00, but could have just as easily arrived at 7.30 and not delayed anything. Also a mix-up with what was going to be supplied meant we turned up with a guitar amp and nothing to plug it into when we could just as easily have brought a combo. Luckily the promotor did manage to rustle up 4x12 just before we had to sound check.

We were playing with two popular Coventry bands - Octogoth and Army of Skanks, who'd brought a decent sized audience. Unfortunately a lot of them had left by the time that our set started. We seemed to go down well with the audience that was left, but it's a bit depressing looking out from the stage knowing that there's been almost twice as many people in the room 30 minutes earlier. Played well except when the Theremin appeared not to be working at all - it took a bit of a knock at last weeks gig which required major repairs to the end cheeks where the aerials attach and after the gig it look as though one of the repairs had failed already however that shouldn't have caused it not to make any sound at all as it was working fine in the soundcheck.

Came off stage feeling vaguely dissatisfied with the whole thing. Not a patch on last weekend's triumph over adversity (and absinth). Dep drummer once again hit all the cues although a couple of the songs (that he starts) were rather too fast. I think the problem was that after the last 5 or so great gigs I've upped my expectations for our live performance and this one should have been rather good and was only IMO above average.

Edited by BigRedX

Private halloween / birthday bash for a very attractive 30yr old with very attractive friends. About 200 people at an old manor house hired purely for it's halloween appeal. We've got a new drummer and this was his 2nd outing with us. He's a pure pro and I loveplaying with him cos he's so expressive and somehow whatever fills and accents we try, no matter how complicated, he just seems to create so much space for it to work. I've also been working overseas for some weeks so we've had almost a month off. Everyone really loved it and the birthday girl's parents added an extra £50 to our fee as everyone enjoyed us. Tip top night.

Played here in Sweden last night, just come over for the weekend. A good few hundred people at the warehouse venue, but the guy we'd been working with who was organising the event has been famously bad at providing us in the past with some of the worst backline I've ever had the misfortune of performing with, so I turned up a little worried. I shouldn't have, as he'd gone from the sublime to the ridiculous and gotten me an 8x10 Mesa Boogie cab and a Big Block 750, plus 2 Mesa rigs for the guitar players and a decent Gretsch kit for our drummer and a Nord for our keys player. Absolutely mental FOH setup as well, obviously he'd finally paid a bit of attention! Cool gig all in all, if a little surreal. The weather is absolutely bitter too, dropped to -3 during the gig - luckily inside it was nice and warm.

Good Halloween gig on saturday night, most people made an effort to dress up, including the band. Bass rig drama was narrowly averted when I manage to dig out a speakon to jack speaker lead from our Box O'Leads. I have misplaced all the amp leads after my house move, and hadn't realized until late afternoon, when I was setting up the rig. Unfortunately I had to go with just one 1x12 speaker, so the sound was a little boxy, but hey ho, all my fault! All in all a pretty good performance, crowd loved it even if we weren't quite so confident on the newer songs...

Depped for one of our (now rarely visiting) members at an afternoon jam/open mic session yesterday 3pm till 7pm. Unfortunately no other bass players turned up (which is quite unusual) so apart from one 4 song set where the house band guitarist took over on bass I was on stage for every set. Considering I've not played in a regular band since Jan this year and did an almost 2 hour dep set on Friday night I thought I made a half decent fist of it, completely washed out by the time I got home though. Been contacted by another band just getting started so more stuff to learn for them this week with a jam/audition pencilled in for this Sat.

no gig but studio recordingsfor the whole weekend. we hade been able to record 6 songs live. tonight will do at least 2 more.
FUN! :D
[url="http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/kryshpix/soundport/"]some impressions[/url]

Edited by krysh

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1351504018' post='1851757']
Depped for one of our (now rarely visiting) members at an afternoon jam/open mic session yesterday 3pm till 7pm. Unfortunately no other bass players turned up (which is quite unusual) so apart from one 4 song set where the house band guitarist took over on bass I was on stage for every set. Considering I've not played in a regular band since Jan this year and did an almost 2 hour dep set on Friday night I thought I made a half decent fist of it, completely washed out by the time I got home though. Been contacted by another band just getting started so more stuff to learn for them this week with a jam/audition pencilled in for this Sat.
[/quote]

That all sounds very positive mate!