Why become a member? ×

Playing gigs sitting down. Pop/funk covers band. Acceptable?

My neck and shoulder woes continue. I'm struggling to play a full gig. I've been experimenting with different straps (including waist straps) to get some weight off my shoulder, with limited success. With practice, I could probably adjust to playing sitting down,  but I've never liked to see a bassist do that in a lively pop/funk pub covers band. Looks out of place to my eyes. OK in a jazz crew, but not in pub dance band. What does the BC community think about this, please?

Edited by solo4652

You do you !

I've played seated gigs when ankle problems made standing with a bass for any length of time nigh-on impossible...It feels a bit odd, but keep your head up and get as much groove on as you can from your 'relaxed' position.

• Like 2

I played my first gig for new band last night, first gig for 6 months in fact. Anyhow, towards the end I was beginning to get the pains in my back I usually get with a heavier bass even though I was using a pretty lightweight bass. No back pain today but neck and shoulder (left side) giving me some grief. I'd really love to play sitting down and I'd probably play better for doing so. 

• Like 1

I play sitting down at every gig. OK, I'm a drummer, but still... It's only convention, in your head; no-one at all will take umbrage at your playing at your most comfortable. Look after yourself, and enjoy your gigs. :friends:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’d say if none of the band members mind then just do it - am sure they appreciate you being 

there whether seated or not. Possibly set up closer to the drummer so at least there are two

musicians roughly the same height?

• Like 3

I used a bar stool to sit on for gigs after my prostate op a few years ago, I only looked as if I was sitting if you looked at me from the waist down. I did the same a year later after my bike accident. No one complained.

• Like 2

I remember seeing Sky play a gig, Herbie Flowers played the whole thing from a bar stool. 
So inspired I’ve done the same ever since. Only exception is when I play EUB because I just have to stand there. Firmly of the opinion the audience can lump it but equally when you talk to the punters they don’t see beyond the vocalists mic and don’t even realise you’re there!!

Edited by Boodang
  • Like 2

PS if you want to make it interesting I have a great idea with which I’ve never had the balls to implement… get a motorised wheelchair, play the gig from it but give the remote control for it to the audience and see where you end up! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

PPS to put it in perspective, we have a backing vocalist who does one number as main vocals. I bumped into someone who said ‘are you in the BVs band’. I said yes, he’s in my band and I play bass. They couldn’t recognise anyone behind the mics! Let alone how you’re standing or sitting. I seriously wouldn’t worry about and get on with the real job of playing and not what your posterior is doing. 

Ppps if you do a gig sitting down and someone notices you then you’ve done more than playing standing up where no one blinks twice. Good or bad at least someone has paid attention to the bass player! 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I understand your dilemma. Yet I also feel the pain of your aching shoulder! (As the years advance).

As others have said - just do what you have to, in order to keep playing. Alternatively, you could do what I did, and buy a super-lightweight bass, like a Danelectro longhorn. Hmm.... would that fit in with a Funk-pop band? 😉 

There is a bassist in a local rock covers band who has only one leg who plays sitting down, presumably to avoid falling over and the like. He manages just fine and no one seems to think any the less of him for it.

Edited by Bassfinger

I have an ongoing back condition and have gigged propped up on a bar stool. It works very well and is surprisingly comfortable.

Some people even ask how my back is, when I see them outside of the gig

Do what you have to, to keep playing, I don't think anyone is really that bothered

Axl and Dave Grohl have gigged sitting down haven't they

• Like 1