Why become a member? ×

Songs that you hate with a passion

4 hours ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Dancing in the street - all versions I've heard of an awful song 

I’d probably agree with most of your other choices, but have a listen to the original version

of DITS by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas - pure pop magic, and 60 years old this year.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JottoSW1 said:

Freebird. Lynyrd Skynrd. Interminable

Stairway to Heaven Led Zep  'ditto'

And two great examples that have been overplayed on rock radio. I wonder if music artistes have a say in how often their songs get played on radio. Gotta be a trade off between royalties and engendering hate due to overkill

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Dancing in the Street - 

The Jagger & Bowie version. 

They should be made to eat it, and when nature calls, open up their bowls and deposit it down the nearest available toilet. 

I'm fine with the original but this possibly takes the crown for worst ever cover version, although it's the video that's really cringeworthy. Van Halen's slightly iffy version by contrast is  brilliant.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

I played in a Covers Band, and I DESPISED "Burn" by (not really) Deep Purple.

I say not really, because MY kind of Deep Purple didn't have over-stressed Cockney accents in the Vocals. It was like listening to Billy Bragg with a Rock Track playing in the back-ground. I realise Blackmore might have wanted to keep the name going, but most of the Tracks simply weren't up to scratch....Along with certain Musicians.  😁

Edited by BigAlonBass
Missed a bit off the end of the post.

2 hours ago, lowdown said:

Dancing in the Street - 

The Jagger & Bowie version. 

They should be made to eat it, and when nature calls, open up their bowls and deposit it down the nearest available toilet. 

I give you Dancing in the Street - the Silent Music video. No music at all - "It's like two drunk mates making their way home from the pub. "
Watch it and laugh.
 . . .

Dancing in the Street -- Silent Music Video - YouTube.url

• Haha 6

Much as I'm not really into Northern Soul there's some songs within that style that I think are great uplifting pop songs.

I cannot bear ' The Snake' though, those terrible Benny Hill ' Ernie ' key changes. Truly the Mustang Sally of Northern Soul. I've successfully avoided ever having to gig that song, always managed to have enough of a tantrum to prevent it happening. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

Saddle Up and Ride Your Pony by David Christie 

It's cheesy, and he may even be miming to the bass line . . . 

However, I have managed to avoid it for 30 years, simply because the people who schedule radio playlists like it as much as I do . . .

David Christie - Saddle Up (Official Music Video) - YouTube.url 69 B · 0 downloads

Yeahhh 😝 this song is cheesy and can harm someone very much, especially bass guitarists who use bass synthesizer fx pedals.

59 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

I give you Dancing in the Street - the Silent Music video. No music at all - "It's like two drunk mates making their way home from the pub. "
Watch it and laugh.
 . . .

The Silent Music video:

Silent.jpg.07ecc47e685bb73c47ac9c8aaeeba136.jpg

The official video:

Official.jpg.1618f715c63acd648d04c41a79581daf.jpg

:D

• Haha 3

I had fun reading this. There are a lot I agree with, and here in the "Born In The USA" (I can't believe that Stanley Clarke video),  AND LIVING IN NEW JERSEY, the only songs that really make me start screaming "Ahhh..." while grabbing for the volume is Bon Jovi. 

1 hour ago, bass_dinger said:

Watch it and laugh.
 . . .

Dancing in the Street -- Silent Music Video - YouTube.url 69 B · 0 downloads

That's very juicy, for back vocal lovers especially. It would be interesting what AI master mixer program would do with this one !!! 

There is only one song I really loath:

"Imagine", by John Lennon. It really, really gets my goat!

Of the rest -  I can see why people dislike them, and often it seems to be over exposure that causes the problem. And the Grateful Dead used to do a mean version of "Dancing In The Street" 😎

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

"What's up" by the 4 Non-Blondes

I was in a covers band for 2 years and we rehearsed weekly. Every rehearsal would start with that song, and every week the guitarist would mess up the intro lead. Now every time I hear that song I hear him playing along in my head. 

That's another thread right there "songs spoiled by listening to a guitarist or singer in your band making the same error every time".

I can't listen to Reptilia by the Strokes without a smirk when it's just the guitar playing by itself midway through...we always said it was the jazz version 😂

• Like 2

I used to hate some music with a passion but have found myself softening up in recent years.

I don't mind the Smiths, pre 80s Bowie, Abba... I can even listen to the Pet Shop Boys without kicking the radio at the wall!

Maybe I'm not as serious about music as I used to be 🤔 ... I think that started when I shifted to 5 string basses 😂

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, super al said:

I used to hate some music with a passion but have found myself softening up in recent years.

I don't mind the Smiths, pre 80s Bowie, Abba... I can even listen to the Pet Shop Boys without kicking the radio at the wall!

Maybe I'm not as serious about music as I used to be 🤔 ... I think that started when I shifted to 5 string basses 😂

Oh, the Pet Shop Boys...

And they've been wheeled out again recently! 😭😭😭

• Haha 1

Sorry...I can't let this thread go any further without saying the unsayable...

Bob Marley's album "Legend" - totally killed his work for me. Nearly everyone I know has that album/ CD - their only venture into reggae ( well maybe "Labour of love" by UB40 too).

• Haha 1